The online racing simulator
in what world is 5h of web surfing battery life excellent?
Quote from Shotglass :in what world is 5h of web surfing battery life excellent?

Considering the spec & price I would call that excellent...
lol jakg, it's not hate. it's me being realistic.
ultra-portable is only 1" bigger than a netbook and double the price. the laptop i posted is more than powerful enough to suit your needs. and who ever needed a smaller laptop but not a netbook? the battery life on the laptop i posted is good enough to give you plenty of time to plug the thing into a wall socket. how many essays can a person write while walking to their next class? and lets be honest, in the day of the smartphone, you do not need 5h web browsing when you can do it on your phone. and if you want to watch a movie on the move, just feckin wait til you get home and watch it on a bigger screen in the comfort of your own home.

one thing i've noticed you're good at bud. and that's buying the wrong shit!
what exactly are your needs (in terms of laptop usage)? what can the laptop you ordered do that the laptop i posted can't do? the laptop i posted has a screen that is nearly 50% bigger. i think it also has more ram. with an 11" screen the only thing you're going to do more of on that laptop is scroll up/down.
Quote from dadge :ultra-portable is only 1" bigger than a netbook and double the price

It has a higher resolution screen, a bigger keyboard, 2 DIMM slots, a much much *MUCH* better CPU (come on, the i3 pisses all over the Atom, 2-3x faste...)
Quote from dadge :and who ever needed a smaller laptop but not a netbook?

Netbook is too small. 14" laptop is too bulky. Perfect size (from my experience) is a 13.3", but I prefer 11.6" to 14".
Quote from dadge :the battery life on the laptop i posted is good enough to give you plenty of time to plug the thing into a wall socket. how many essays can a person write while walking to their next class?

I use my laptop in all of my lectures, and instead of the PC's at Uni 90% of the time.

I can't plug my laptop in during lectures - and sometimes I will have 3+ hours of lectures in a row (by which time the laptop you've linked to will of died). Plus, it's nice not to have to take the charger with you and just know you can grab it and use it.
Quote from dadge :and lets be honest, in the day of the smartphone, you do not need 5h web browsing when you can do it on your phone. and if you want to watch a movie on the move, just feckin wait til you get home and watch it on a bigger screen in the comfort of your own home.

Can I take notes using a decent keyboard on my phone? No.

Can I run any of the tools I need at Uni (SQL, Java / C++ IDE's etc) on my phone? No.

Does that make a phone useless for what I want a laptop for then? Yes.
Quote from dadge :what exactly are your needs (in terms of laptop usage)? what can the laptop you ordered do that the laptop i posted can't do? the laptop i posted has a screen that is nearly 50% bigger. i think it also has more ram. with an 11" screen the only thing you're going to do more of on that laptop is scroll up/down.

I don't care about RAM - I have 8GB of DDR3 to put in my new laptop. I also have a 500GB HDD as well - I don't care about the specs I can upgrade.

I would say a screen thats bigger is a disadvantage... 15" is far too bulky to use, especially on the move.

I've used 11" laptops in the past... remember that the one I've just bought has exactly the same resolution as the laptop you've just linked to, so I can see exactly the same on the screen.

I use my laptop for taking notes (notepad, nothing special), programming (C++ using Visual Studio, Java in Eclipse / Netbeans), a little web developing (Notepad / Dreamweaver), essays (LaTeX, again nothing heavy). It's also used for surfing the web, Photoshop (editing pictures from my camera), and some other random tasks. To be honest, I don't need anything that powerful - but it's nice to have a semi-powerful laptop with me so if I decide I want to do some video editing at Uni / friends house etc it can do that.

The most important thing, though, is the battery life / form factor. 15" is not good enough, irrespective of what you say... I've tried it but it's just not for me. It also *needs* to have a 6+ hour battery life - while I can charge it, it's a pain the arse, it's much nicer to know it'll go the whole day without charging.
i'll read all of that in a bit. we were talking about 5hours battery life for web browsing. nothing more. try not to over think it. surely having a higher resolution on a screen that is only 1" bigger is a bad thing. that makes it more of a pain to read. video editing is still possible on amd duel core processors too m8.
i think the only thing you've got me on is the battery life. and laptop batteries are not that great (across all laptops). i know a guy who bought a laptop only a week ago and it's already lost 5% of its life.
i suppose it's a preference thing but for me, the screen is the thing you look at the most and should be the most comfortable to look at. and that (for me) means a big screen. 15" is not a bulky screen. maybe if you were planning a trip to a space station. but other than that, 15" would be the minimum i would look for in a laptop. don't forget, the 15" of keyboard you don't have to strain to be able to press a single key (quickly).
about taking notes with a phone, it's not impossible.
I'm not taking notes on a phone - it's possible, but I'm not doing it.

90% of 15" laptops have 1366*768 resolution. Exactly the same as my 14" Acer, the 13.3" I had before that, and the 11.6" I've just bought.

Video editing is possible on a slower laptop, yes, but when I *do* use my laptops CPU, I use it *hard*

I've used a lot of laptops over the last few years (and hundreds at work) and i'm just as comfortable typing on my ultramobiles as I am on my desktop.
and that's the thing. the same resolution on a smaller screen is erm, smaller. yes the bigger screen might not look as sharp but how sharp does text need to be in order for it to be readable? i was always under the impression that desktop real-estate is an important factor when choosing a laptop. simply because you can't just go out and but a new monitor for it(and still remain mobile).
you can also use an amd cpu hard too. yes it might not be as fast and an i3 but at the end of the day, you're using a laptop and performance comes at a price. and is £100 a price you're willing to pay just so you can render the odd video?
i just think you could have made your hard earned cash work a lot hard that it actually has.
£100 is not the difference between the laptop I bought, and the one you linked to.

Your forgetting *the most* important part - the screensize & the battery life.

WRT to screen size - text is still clear and readable even on a small screen. In terms of "real estate" (i.e. what you can fit on there) it's the same on any 1366 * 768 display...
Quote from Jakg :

WRT to screen size - text is still clear and readable even on a small screen. In terms of "real estate" (i.e. what you can fit on there) it's the same on any 1366 * 768 display...

screen size jakg. screen size. it's not what you can fit on the screen. it's how much you can put on it without having to strain your eyes.
TIL: dadge has no idea that DPI setting can be changed in about any version of Windows released in last 10 years.
ROFL!! you got me there dude. Jesus, i was laughing so hard i nearly gave my dog a golden shower. Whoohooo, you're gonna have to give us a heads up the next time you plan to drop such an epic post like that. It was more your razor sharp timing than what you had actually said.

NOT!

if you're gonna troll, put some effort into it. otherwise you come across as a harelipped gobshite.
whats dpi?
Got a couple things for a PC upgrade

stock cooler=hyper 212+
shitty mobo=GA-990FXA-UD3
Radeon HD 5770=EVGA 560 Ti FPB
shitty cd writer=another shitty writer

and some school stuff
Quote from logitekg25 :whats dpi?

More seriously: dots per inch. It's used to measure printing quality. So in an oversimplyfied manner: the higher that number, the "sharper" the image.
As basic guidelines, picture on the web usually have 72 dpi, newspaper usually print pictures in 200 dpi, while glossy magazines use 300 dpi.

Monitors rather use the term ppi (pixels per inch), as dpi wouldn't be entirely correct as most monitors use subpixels in red green and blue which would actually mean that 1 ppi is 3 dpi if you're really anal about that definition. Even though ppi and dpi are used synonymously.

My 24" monitor is 20.92" wide and 11.76" tall, at a resolution of 1920x1080.

That means a ppi of 92.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It is also a great measurement for your penis. Makes it sound HUGE!

it's posts like this that make you wish there was a "like" button on this forum lol. good times lol.
Got a wee bit happy on ebay.

Please tell me that isn't one of those "electric turbos"..
yeah where is the hot side on that thingy ....fyi all E-turbos do is restrict engine breathing...
Yup! It came up in conversation a few days ago, some of my friends seem to think it will make a huge difference, i think if it makes any difference it wont be noticeable, if it even makes a difference.
So thought id spend the £20 just to see who's right. Also bought a switch for it which i can connect to my throttle so that when my throttle is open the fan will turn on, which is apparently how its meant to be.
Just waiting for it to get down to see if its a load of bullshit or not.
I expect the former.
Quote from Migz :Yup! It came up in conversation a few days ago, some of my friends seem to think it will make a huge difference, i think if it makes any difference it wont be noticeable, if it even makes a difference.
So thought id spend the £20 just to see who's right. Also bought a switch for it which i can connect to my throttle so that when my throttle is open the fan will turn on, which is apparently how its meant to be.
Just waiting for it to get down to see if its a load of bullshit or not.
I expect the former.

Ehhrm... i'm sure there's easier ways to find out if it'll work or not. I mean, isn't it pretty clear it's just a load of BS?

If your friend tells you it won't stink and you won't puke if he shits in your mouth... do you let him do it just to prove him wrong?

Post your Last Purchase!
(7003 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG