The online racing simulator
If it's not a bug then why did Scawen say this:

"Improved shadows - sharper and ambient shadow effect now included"

???

They are not any sharper and they are rendered in the same way as in Z, if you look closely at the shadow when driving around you'll see a ripple-like effect at the edges of the shadow when the car changes direction. It happens in Z and it still happens in Z10, so I don't know what Scawen "improved" because they look the same to me, which is a bug in my book.

The only difference I see from Z is that they are a bit darker, but that's it.
#52 - wien
You didn't notice the additional shadow underneath the car? That's the ambient shadow he's talking about. The shadows are also very slightly sharper, which is ironically why the aliasing is a tiny bit more noticeable now.

The point is that this is not a bug. A bug is an unintended error in the behaviour of a program. (like the previous shadow errors on Crossfire cards) This "problem" is very much intended as evidenced by the comment you quoted and the fact that it's been like that forever, thus not a bug.

Add to that the fact that it's an unbelievably minor detail, and you get my comment above. But by all means, keep on posting screenshots.
I guess it's not a bug since it's been rendered like that forever, but there is a lot of room for improvement, at least a little anti-aliasing would help greatly. As for that ambient shadow thing under the car, I only noticed it when you pointed it out to me, otherwise I would have never seen it . But I continue to disagree with Scawen's "Improved shadows" comment, at least until the shadow gets some AA.
@ Deutschland2007:
Wheres your exhaust on the FZR? there just black holes.?

@DoriMasta:
What a usless post.. it isnt worth to type these characters into the keyboard.

@LFS-Community:
Have a nice day and enjoy the new year!
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :If it's not a bug then why did Scawen say this:

"Improved shadows - sharper and ambient shadow effect now included"

???

They are not any sharper and they are rendered in the same way as in Z, if you look closely at the shadow when driving around you'll see a ripple-like effect at the edges of the shadow when the car changes direction. It happens in Z and it still happens in Z10, so I don't know what Scawen "improved" because they look the same to me, which is a bug in my book.

The only difference I see from Z is that they are a bit darker, but that's it.

It doesn't mean the shadows are any sharper, it means that both a sharp shadow and and ambient shadow are cast by the cars... Drive into a building shadow in SO and you'll see the sharp shadow under the car...

The reason why it looks better with a low resolution is because the shadows have a fixed resolution - it stays the same while everything else is scaled up, which makes it look jaggied... This is done for performance, look at GTA4 to see what happens when shadow resolutions are scaled up with the general resolution...
hi this bug has been the same since the last patch, I thought id see if any different in this test patch but its the same,
I cant see gear numbers.
regards john
Attached images
LFS 2008-12-31 11-12-49-59.jpg
Quote from jjones :hi this bug has been the same since the last patch, I thought id see if any different in this test patch but its the same,
I cant see gear numbers.
regards john

Check in the Display option and turn the Gear indicator to "On"
Quote from Inouva :Check in the Display option and turn the Gear indicator to "On"

Or he can try to set the view position upward
look at the chiped fbm whels!!!!!
Attached images
Capture.JPG
#60 - senn
if you are going to show a fault etc with a picture, how about supplying one WE CAN SEE, ie bigger than thumbnail size.
Quote from chavm481 :look at the chiped fbm whels!!!!!

What a fantastic screenshot.

Are you talking about the smudgy writing/logos? I'm sure they are supposed to be like that. However, you can change them, i think its FBM_rims.dds
Has anyone else tried the test patch using SoftTH? Every few times I start up LFS, the menus are all fine but when I get in the car the game will work for a couple seconds then the screen freezes up and I have to ctrl+alt+delete out and shut down LFS then restart the program, then it works fine again. I never had this problem before installing the test patch. At first I just thought something with my graphics drivers was wrong but I just reinstalled windows(for other reasons), updated to the latest drivers, and am seeing the same issue. Just wondering if anyone else with SoftTH sees the same thing.

Scawen is there any other way I could help debugging this? Since its not a crash I don't know what other information I could provide, I have been trying to figure out the pattern of when it works and when it doesn't but haven't come up with anything yet.
Is there any reason to install the new dedicated server?
Can't see any changes (except insim) that changes something on the host.
Quote from CyBex :Is there any reason to install the new dedicated server?
Can't see any changes (except insim) that changes something on the host.

i´d do it just for the sake of being "up to date"
oh god...
i just zoomed in all they way and noticed it was simply low res writing on the rim of the wheel...
Quote from AjRose :I'm having a graphics card issue with Z9 and now Z10. Patch Z works fine but when I use patch Z9 or Z10(And I assume Z3+) I get a "IRQL Less or not equal" error. I'm using the latest drivers also.

I'm going to update my XP install with the latest service pack and see if that helps.
The graphics cards are two EVGA 9800gt's in SLI if that means anything.

Thanks for the great updates dev's,

Aj

It's not happening anymore for some reason. I'm using Z10 now and It hasn't happened for a while. No changes to anything btw
I believe the shadows used to be actually more blurry. This in-turn, covered up the low quality resolution of the shadows and made them appear to be more smooth. Now they are more sharp and more defined, you notice the jagged edges more.

I preferred the old ones because I used Low Res shadows. I've put them up to hi res now I have a better PC and they look ok.
i get the jaggs too.. but who cares to look at the shaddow while they race.
Quote from chavm481 :look at the chiped fbm whels!!!!!

It all looks fairly sweet on mine, a bit blurred on one a couple of bits, but thats about it. How would you ever notice that tiny bit of blurring when you are racing, on a real life scale those blurs would be no more than an inch or so long anyway
Attached images
rim.jpg
I thought it was blurred/smudged on purpose to look more used and realistic. I thought it was cool.
Quote from JasonJ :I thought it was blurred/smudged on purpose to look more used and realistic. I thought it was cool.

Ahh, never thought of it like that, kinda like slightly kerbed rims. Good idea if thats why, even more realism.
#72 - T.J.
I had a bug right now.. The skin on my XRT is shown in the lowest quality and the graphic settings are maxed out.. Trying a clean patch Z10 right now. Will report back if it works or not.
#73 - T.J.
I figured it out now.. Seems like LFS made my computer run in 16bit color mode.. I turned it up to 32 and restarted LFS. Works nice now
is there been updates to physics? i cant upload hotlaps
read first post maybe?
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z10 (online compatible)
(533 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG