The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
I doubt that to be honest. iirc when I went on a good two hour car journey with my sisters when I was younger to Alton Towers, her 330i was showing approx 25mpg on a 90mph cruise.

25mpg at best I'd reckon.

(I meant the SD1 btw, typo :razz

But yeah, whatever suits you, after all I don't have to pay for petrol
bmw 3 litres are rubbish on petrol, i know someone with a 530i, ends up getting 32mpg if he puts it on cruise control at 60
Lol it's not that uneconomical for such a powerful and smooth engine, following Autocars magazine and checking several of my 250+ issues they seem to say that the economy is ok.

But being fair, 32mpg over 6 cylinders and 3 liters is pretty good
Lovely pictures Rob. I'll have to drive up to Essex soon!

Updates for me Fitted my GB plates Hurts, but nice to be totally road legal now.

Also, you can now call me Niall "Two BM's" Drew as I have bought another BMW! 1994 318i SE. Not to drive though. Mine has head gasket issues. 20 miles down the road, it gets hot. Open the bonnet, loosen the rad cap, let a load of air out, next thing I know, its cooled down and good for another 20 miles. Not good. So, I managed to source a car very similar to mine about 45 minutes away.

I bought it for £250 with no tax or MOT. I will change the engine over and a few bits and pieces that mine could do with, sell a few bits off it and keep it round the back of my place as a donor car for bits.

Here are some pictures:

The wheels are mint. They will fetch £200 easy. I was going to fit a 6 cylinder engine and Tramp Drift it, but it is way to much hassle to fit a 6cyl engine into a 4 pot e36.

I may have a mate interested in the shell and my old engine for £200, but I will keep the wheels, sell them for £200. Bought the car for £250, so that's £150 profit plus an engine. Add a bit to it and find myself a cheap 325 to Tramp Drift

Bit 'ASBO' to Tramp Drift, I know...but great cheap fun and I'm hoping will help me with my car control slightly.
its easy to put a 6 cyl engine in it,just make sure u put it with its intake/wire horness/DME and u all set. Would be even better to get a wrecked m3,95-96,put 325 intake on it,diff/drive shaft etc,and u got yourself a beast for cheap!

(omg how on earth can u drive on right side O.O never understood )
Quote from The General Lee :...Mine has head gasket issues. 20 miles down the road, it gets hot. Open the bonnet, loosen the rad cap, let a load of air out, next thing I know, its cooled down and good for another 20 miles. Not good.

Erm, eh? You take the rad cap off a hot engine and don't have a 4ft coolant geyser? No wonder it's overheating - you have no coolant! :eek:
Quote from The General Lee :Open the bonnet, loosen the rad cap, let a load of air out, next thing I know, its cooled down and good for another 20 miles.

Quote from durbster :Erm, eh? You take the rad cap off a hot engine and don't have a 4ft coolant geyser? No wonder it's overheating - you have no coolant! :eek:

I do have coolant and I don't take it off.

E2 - It is easy, but its easier to buy a 325 for about £300 rather than an engine for £300. I got told I need "The complete exhaust, complete engine, wiringloom and ecu, and front half of prop from the donor car, gear linkages, and as said above the front shocks and springs, 6 pot engine mounts and 6 pot front anti roll bar, exhaust brackets and as many new bushes as you can"
On the head gasket issue, you getting the mayonaise effect? (white gunk round the radiator cap etc)
Head gasket shouldnt be too much of an issue, only a flush and a camblet and maybe new head bolts, just make sure the head wasnt warped at all. Though i dont know how complicated that would be. But my mate did the head gasket on his Rover 45 (K-series engine, suprise suprise) with absaloutely no mechanical experience and a haynes manual.
and a flat 6 swap would be easy if theres a 6cyl 3 series, just need to swap it all over
Quote from The General Lee :I do have coolant and I don't take it off.

But you're still breaking the airtight seal and if the engine is hot, the water is pressurised and would come out.

Why do you think it's head gasket btw?
Nice to see another BMW.
Hey is it mixing oil with coolant? If its not too bad you can just flush it couple times with soap+water,and take out the thermo.Doesnt lasts forever but works for a while.
Btw ye easyer to buy a 325 and redo that(lets say to an ///M )
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Nice to see another BMW.

And another one........

Paid £1,000 for this one after the head gasket went on my blue one and warped the head too All not lost though as it's worth at least twice what I paid for it as parts since I started breaking E30s

This one, although a year older than my previous one, is in _much_ better condition. A few niggles to sort, but not too bad for a 20 year old motor.

Has the right number of pots (6), right model (E30).. has a 40mm drop all round and H&R adjustable rollbars front and rear.. all new BMW bushes, tappets sorted so runs nice and quiet.. a sweet as drive. Since buying, have fitted my old mongoose stainless system, mild chip, red rear lenses and a tech2 steering wheel. Just needs an iS front lip to complete the job. This one might make it to The 'Ring

Regards,

Ian
Welcome back, Ian! Secondly, WoW! It looks great. Now I feel I have to tell where my BMW fanboyism comes from. About 10 years ago, we had an E30 touring too, that was black and diesel. Manual, leather seats, 4 electric windows, in perfect conditions. In winter my dad took me for a ride with the E30. Being only around 8 years old, I pretty much enjoyed going sideways on snow.:lovies3d:
Quote from The General Lee :Lovely pictures Rob. I'll have to drive up to Essex soon!

Bit of an old quote but..........you might want to come soon, and bring an empty tank of petrol its 97p a litre
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Welcome back, Ian! Secondly, WoW! It looks great. Now I feel I have to tell where my BMW fanboyism comes from. About 10 years ago, we had an E30 touring too, that was black and diesel. Manual, leather seats, 4 electric windows, in perfect conditions. In winter my dad took me for a ride with the E30. Being only around 8 years old, I pretty much enjoyed going sideways on snow.:lovies3d:

Thanks

I never used to like BMWs.. but have pretty much developed a great fondness for the E30. Such a dream to drive and IMO, a proper driver's car. Got a shedload of service history with the silver one too.

I did think about leather for my old blue one, but decided to buy an Anthracite sports cloth interior instead. This one came with a silver sports interior that's _mint!_ so will be staying and the Anthracite will be sold to anyone offering me £150+. Got 4 leccy windows in this one too.. old one only had fronts. Even the headlight wipers work on this one

I bought 2 saloons too.. mainly as donor cars, but breaking in general produces a nice bit of extra pocket money.

Donor car for engine to replace the one in my old blue touring:

One bought for the ~80k miles 325i high-compression engine (car cost £170, engine sold this coming weekend for £250 ) Even came with its own garden, heh:

The death of my previous touring a few weekends ago :

A nice E30 325i Sport would be a cool addition too.. but finding a good one needs a remortgage on a house. Think the only time I'd touch a 4-pot one though would have to come with 'M3' on the documents although I don't have a spare £10-15k spare for a car

Regards,

Ian
Well, I don't actually have head gasket issues. More of a 'crack in the head' issue. Which is a much bigger and costly job than a head gasket. If it was the head gasket, I would do it myself, but I need a new head. So I don't have the head gasket issues of mayo on my oil cap etc, but I have a lot of air getting into the system causing it to overheat. Heaters are blowing cold air too.

durbster - I am breaking the air tight seal, but I am not opening it far enough to water to escape.

Töki - Can't beat another BMW. I love my nick name of "Two BM's"

E2/Rob - It would be easy to do the swap if I had the 325 there. But, seeing as I'm only using it to Tramp Dirft, I might aswell use the 325

Ian - Very nice mate. Gotta love the Old Skool-ness of the E30. I'd love to own one at some point. My next door neighbour has had 2. He is a member on the Zone as well. His username is 'GrindCulture'

Rob - I would actually love to come up. I only put the V-Power type fuels in my car. What is that going for up there? We'll have to arrange it once my engine is in.
Quote from The General Lee :Ian - Very nice mate. Gotta love the Old Skool-ness of the E30. I'd love to own one at some point. My next door neighbour has had 2. He is a member on the Zone as well. His username is 'GrindCulture'

Small world! I was reading through his "history" thread just the other day and was going to offer a set of 15" BBS alloys for his black touring as I now have a spare set

Some E30s are going at decent prices, some are going quite high. I saw a Royal Blue Metallic (same as my old one) going for £600 in the trader just before I picked up my silver one. Looked tidy too. I think a lot depends on where you buy them.. some old fella selling on in the trader might go for less as unsure of what he may actually get for it etc.

The 36s are a bit more refined and a bit quicker than the 30s.. but personally I prefer the old skool brick styling of them. I remember my mate's 318i E36.. was comfy as hell, especially on the motorway. In general though, there doesn't seem much to fault about the german engineering behind most of the models

Would love a '86 / 87 E28 too (M5 or Alpina preferred, heh).. but maybe that's dreaming a little

Regards,

Ian
Quote from The General Lee :Well, I don't actually have head gasket issues. More of a 'crack in the head' issue. Which is a much bigger and costly job than a head gasket. If it was the head gasket, I would do it myself, but I need a new head. So I don't have the head gasket issues of mayo on my oil cap etc, but I have a lot of air getting into the system causing it to overheat. Heaters are blowing cold air too.

E2/Rob - It would be easy to do the swap if I had the 325 there. But, seeing as I'm only using it to Tramp Dirft, I might aswell use the 325

Rob - I would actually love to come up. I only put the V-Power type fuels in my car. What is that going for up there? We'll have to arrange it once my engine is in.

Tramp dirft? English please young man!
And a head swap would be the same as a head gasket, and probably be much easier then a whole engine swap, 8 bolts compared to about 20bolts and a load of wiring!
camblet off, Head off, gasket off. new gasket on, new head on, new cambelt, done!
V-power is probably about £1.04 id say, maybe up to £1.06. will look when i go past a shell garage next
Better than the £1.20 I was paying!

Tramp Drift is when you buy a RWD MOT failure with no tax for about £200. Cut the springs, weld the diff, strip the interior and away you go. Like I said, a it ASBO, but should be fun. I am a little ashamed of the fact I want to do it though, but its better to do it in a safe place that on the Queens public highways.
Quote from The General Lee :Better than the £1.20 I was paying!

Tramp Drift is when you buy a RWD MOT failure with no tax for about £200. Cut the springs, weld the diff, strip the interior and away you go. Like I said, a it ASBO, but should be fun. I am a little ashamed of the fact I want to do it though, but its better to do it in a safe place that on the Queens public highways.

Weld your diff or I'll weld your Mum.
Cusco LSD pwns you all
prefer the Kaaz unit
Bit of an update on mnie:

Some may find this moronic, but I quite like it:

And the sub:
That Flippy logo was a great idea!
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG