The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Matrixi :Now, lemme guess, brandless?

I wouldn't care about people bitching about the ride height. Comfort is a nice feat to have on road cars.

Correct The car is staying really nicely on the roads. And still not giving anykind of bumpy rides at offroads. Which i drive like everyday..
Quote from G!NhO :He can not help he is from England.

I have been living in England for 8 years. However, my nationality is Lithuanian. You probably could of figured this out yourself if you bothered checking the flag next to my name...
It's so funny when internet experts from over there in a car forum talk about how any modifications done to a suspension means "bye bye handling..."

So, if the manufacturers are so perfect in the way they set up the suspension from factory, which is correct on my car? I have a Jetta Wolfsburg Edition. It's exactly the same as all other Jettas (GL, GLI, etc.) except for a few trim differences and the main difference being a different suspension setup. I'm sure the suspension components such as upper and lower a-arms and such are exactly the same other than some stiffer springs and shocks. So, if the majority of Jettas out on the road are the GL and GLI's, and mine is different than theirs, which one would be the perfect suspension? How can you say that you would mess up a manufacturer's factory setup with any kind of modification if there is more than one setup that is factory?

Funny how 90% of the VW Jettas out there have a softer suspension and my Wolfsburg has a stiffer suspension and a good bit better handling, with nothing more than a normal Joe would do in the backyard with swapping out springs and shocks. So, I guess all you internet suspension experts agree then, that VW completely F'ed everything up when designing the suspension because 90% has the poorer handling setup and the manufacturers are suppose to be the true experts with perfect setup...
Quote from Klutch :Because the manufacter knows best how to set up a car.
(Well, that seems to be according to every one else here...)

What most people don't take into account is the fact that from factory its always set up for comfort(With the obvious exceptions for cars that were made for weekend track work)

Compromise. better handling will always result in a bumpy ride, higher road noise and vibration, and the occasional tramline on bad roads.

lowwering it wont help... i mean just 100$ springs like all these faggots do.

if anything things get worse the faster you travel.

you need ground clearence as standard when traveling in snow but i'da thought he would have skinnier wheels for the winter weather ( yes i know its not winter yet, but you know what i mean )
Quote from DevilDare :I have been living in England for 8 years. However, my nationality is Lithuanian. You probably could of figured this out yourself if you bothered checking the flag next to my name...

Well not really, i don't think Matthew is an Afghan immigrant either, so i thought it was just a joke...
Quote from mrodgers :It's so funny when internet experts from over there in a car forum talk about how any modifications done to a suspension means "bye bye handling..."

Dunno if you pointed your shit at me but..
Bye bye driveability and bye bye handling is a very different thing..!? At least the way I meant it.

You have to be two times more careful if you have a low car, drive two times slower on the speedbumps or even round them. Thinking of the winters roads full of snow or shitty offroads. And buying a lower suspension.. what do you gain from it? Yes, might look cooler.. might get a little bit better handling which you only benefit on a racetrack.

Love you internet experts saying what's good for someone else without knowing their real needs.
Every time i drive my s2k on a racetrack i wish i had a little lower/stiffer suspension. Then i think of all the public roads i've driven on with the car (bumpy roads, country roads, steep country roads leading to a beach/lake, etc) and immediately i'm happy again with my stock suspension/ride height.

PS: Killed my differential two days ago on the track... taking every turn sideways + stock diff = bad idea (but lots of fun). :P
Quote from mrodgers :Funny how 90% of the VW Jettas out there have a softer suspension and my Wolfsburg has a stiffer suspension and a good bit better handling, with nothing more than a normal Joe would do in the backyard with swapping out springs and shocks. So, I guess all you internet suspension experts agree then, that VW completely F'ed everything up when designing the suspension because 90% has the poorer handling setup and the manufacturers are suppose to be the true experts with perfect setup...

I think you're missing the point. Some 5% stiffer and 2% lower VW has nothing to do with this kind of stupidity that's being discussed here:

Your Jetta is still a high riding, comfortable family car compared to something that doesn't even allow a cigarette pack being fit between the wheel and the fender.
my mx-5 is dead, so in a minute im going to cambridge to buy a mk3 astra.

Its a 1.4, K reg, which is quite old but its a 1 owner from new jobby, 80k genuine miles on the clock, in mint condition, no rust anywhere at all, has bags of service history, dealership serviced all its life, has 6 months tax and a full MOT, and its 400 quid, cant be bad.
Why not just buy another MX-5, or something that is not a bag of shit? Astras all need to die.
My plan is to buy this cheap run around (i have edited my above post with more info) and then save up the money to fix the mx-5, its deffo needs a clutch and possibly gearbox bits to get it done, plus the MOT is nearly out on it.

EDIT: This is what my 5 now does, its not good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tZ6fZNTeNM
Quote from danthebangerboy :My plan is to buy this cheap run around (i have edited my above post with more info) and then save up the money to fix the mx-5, its deffo needs a clutch and possibly gearbox bits to get it done, plus the MOT is nearly out on it.

EDIT: This is what my 5 now does, its not good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tZ6fZNTeNM

Im sure second hand boxes aren't too expensive
Honestly mate Gearbox and Clutch changes are easy as ****, set aside a day, or maybe a weekend incase you aren't mechanically minded
give it a crack yourself, might be surprised how easy it is
would be cheaper than buying another car im sure?
You are right klutch, i have changed no end of clutches, gearboxes, done head gasket changes etc, and it isnt difficult, but all those times it had been on front wheel drive cars, so all you need to do (as im sure you know) is hoist the engine up so the gearbox pokes out and away you go, but now im faced with the same job on an RWD car, no such luck, got to get the thing so bloody high off the ground to even be able to consider doing it, plus those big bolts that hold the diff to the big steel frame under the car are notoriously a b@stard to get undone, and i dont have oxy acetyline here lol
ah fair enough

though something i dont understand

Quote from danthebangerboy :plus those big bolts that hold the diff to the big steel frame under the car are notoriously a b@stard to get undone

Why would you need to undo them in the first place?
because that frame connects diff and gearbox and you need to drop the latter for clutchwork. Those bolts are a bitch. This one car we worked on we needed a 6ft. cheaterpipe to get them loose. That was without any rust involved.
i think the clutch plate broke or the throw out bearing,shouldnt be gearbox problem. i would take it apart asap and not keep trying to make the noise XD
Dan, I get a similar noise on my cappa, already been through one clutch fork, think im about to go thru my second! If you find out what it is let me know.

Also, when you say your location is the maids head pub...is that the one in Wicken?
Thats the one robt, although i dont actually live there, but at the weekends i probably spent more time there than i do at my place, so near enough
Looking at having a bit of a doo there in January myself! Recommend the food/drink there? (Should really take this to PM but its not unusual for this topic to wander!)
Yeah mate, cant fault the place, food is top notch, and i have eaten there a lot, always brilliant, the staff are all brilliant too, waiters and waitresses are very pleasant and proffesional, (one girl in particular for me has caught my eye recently, but that not for here ) it really is a pleasure to eat there.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Why not just buy another MX-5, or something that is not a bag of shit? Astras all need to die.

astra's are ok, eco boxes... quite fun to drive too ( only when your ragging them though )

honestly, as he described it.... he cant go too wrong...

Also how badly is the mx dead ??
Quote from Osco :because that frame connects diff and gearbox and you need to drop the latter for clutchwork. Those bolts are a bitch. This one car we worked on we needed a 6ft. cheaterpipe to get them loose. That was without any rust involved.

I think australians might have a different name for "frame"

you mean the driveshaft?
Because that would make a hell of alot more sense
Quote from danthebangerboy :Yeah mate, cant fault the place, food is top notch, and i have eaten there a lot, always brilliant, the staff are all brilliant too, waiters and waitresses are very pleasant and proffesional, (one girl in particular for me has caught my eye recently, but that not for here ) it really is a pleasure to eat there.

Glad to hear it!
And I've only ever seen one woman work there
Quote from Klutch :I think australians might have a different name for "frame"

you mean the driveshaft?
Because that would make a hell of alot more sense

I'm pretty sure I know the difference between a frame construction and a driveshaft. Regardless of how you folks call it

Look at this pic. The driveshaft is on the other side of the frame.
Attached images
PPF_1.jpg
I've never seen anything like that before :s

What the use for it?
Is it specific to convertibles to help chassis rigidity or something?
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG