The online racing simulator
Quote from hyntty :So? You're not seriously trying to argue that Hatemelolmania doesn't exist on ITV? Aren't all commentators a little biased?

That's true, most of the stuff James Allen says about Hamilton just makes it more difficult for him cause you end up getting sick of him constantly talking about Hamilton comparing him to Senna, Like he did al the way through the Monaco GP.
Quote from Crommi :Matter of the fact is, I don't think Hamilton would have attempted pass like that if there was graveltrap instead of smooth surface to drive through.

You can say the same thing about all the F1 drivers.

Hamilton is not the only F1 driver to do all of the things he has done/said or make mistakes. Most of the negative stuff said about Hamilton always makes it out as though he is the only driver to ever do whatever it is they are talking about.

I dunno what it is that grates people so much, Casey Stoner gets the same kind of thing and I don't really understand why.
@aoun : Mrs Piggy???
It's because a)he's smug and b) he's made out, by the British press at least, as being some sort of saint, or a reincanation of Senna but without the dirty bits...

If everyone, from the Hamilton fanboys to the press to the ITV F1 crew just said "yeah, he's a bit shit a lot of the time, but we can see a bit of potential" then we'd like him. But when he drives an F1 car (capable of stopping from 200mph in just over 100m) into a parked car at a red light from 50mph and everyone says "what's the problem? Racing incident!" (they weren't racing, they were under safety car conditions), or he says "IF I ruined Kimi's race" whilst grinning like an idiot, then no wonder we see him for what he is.
Quote from J.B. :wtf has leaving the track because of oversteer have to do with being childish? I'm beginning to wonder how many of you even saw the incident. Did they show it from onboard in the world feed? He passed Vettel, turned in, got oversteer, countersteered and left the track. He was already completly past Vettel when he had the OS moment. That's not the same as braking too late, not even trying to make the corner and accelerating along the escape route, overtaking another car on the way.

I'll agree that he and the team should have anticipated the problem and played safe by letting Vettel through but the penalty was still way out of line.

Nonono, I didn't mean childish behaviour for the track leaving... He thinks he's the king of the world. No need to protect him..
Quote from tristancliffe :It's because a)he's smug and b) he's made out, by the British press at least, as being some sort of saint, or a reincanation of Senna but without the dirty bits...

If everyone, from the Hamilton fanboys to the press to the ITV F1 crew just said "yeah, he's a bit shit a lot of the time, but we can see a bit of potential" then we'd like him. But when he drives an F1 car (capable of stopping from 200mph in just over 100m) into a parked car at a red light from 50mph and everyone says "what's the problem? Racing incident!" (they weren't racing, they were under safety car conditions), or he says "IF I ruined Kimi's race" whilst grinning like an idiot, then no wonder we see him for what he is.

So, you realise that now you're saying you don't like Hamilton because the press likes him? You're saying that you don't like him because people think he's better then he really is and not that you don't like him because he makes stupid mistakes. It's like coming on the forums and saying I don't like you because the majority of the forum doesn't like you. It's just not a way of chosing someone you like or not.

For me, I started watching F1 this year at the begining of the season so I don't know how he was before. I heard people say here on the forum that they didn't like him. I was still looking for a good driver to cheer for and all. After seeing Hamilton drive, I definetly wanted him to win. I found him to be a great driver. However, at Bahrain when he just smashed into the back of whoever's car I just found that stupid and he lost a lot of respect from me. Then in Canada, he smashs at the back of someone in the pits. That was plain stupid but seemed more like he wasn't paying attention and only realised they were stoped too late. Tried to move on the grass, locked the wheels up and hit kimi. I'm not saying it's not his fault, it's 100% his fault and stupid. But I doupt he aimed for kimi's car. Plus, Rosberg wasn't any better, he smashed into Hamilton's car right after so if Hamilton didn't do it, Rosberg would probaby have done it anyways. And then finally, in france. When he started storming like that from the start I lost respect for him. It looked like he was tryin to make it to top 5 in the first lap. It's simply suicidal. His pass on Vettel, looked a little cheap. He did make the pass, but was suicidal once again and instead of making it into an accident with Vettel he slid and kept going. He should have let Vettel back, yes. He lost some respect from me there aswell. So now, I'm still looking for someone to cheer for :P. Kimi seems like a great driver. Such for all his bad luck this season. After Sutil's drive in Monaco I actually thought about him being a great driver for quite a bit. But we'll have to see how he does in the futur.

So I don't like somone for being praised by the media or hated by the media. I make my own deductions. If he's overated by the media, too friggen bad. If I like him, good. In my mind I don't overate him. He is what he shows he is.
I hope you guys realize how childish you all look right now.
The only reason rosberg did it was becuase he could only see hamilton infront, so he had no idea what was going on.

And Hamiltons move in france to pass Vettel was stupid you could tell before he did the move that he would go wide, there was no room for grip.
Quote from Mustafur :The only reason rosberg did it was becuase he could only see hamilton infront, so he had no idea what was going on.

And? If Hamilon braked in time, what tells you Rosberg would have? There's no brake lights on those things. He didn't see the red light on the side either so either ways someone would have been taken out there.

Quote from Mustafur :And Hamiltons move in france to pass Vettel was stupid you could tell before he did the move that he would go wide, there was no room for grip.

+1, as I said, it was a stupid move.
Quote from garph :Hamilton is not the only F1 driver to do all of the things he has done/said or make mistakes. Most of the negative stuff said about Hamilton always makes it out as though he is the only driver to ever do whatever it is they are talking about.

I dunno what it is that grates people so much,

Well, the British press are calling him the natural successor to Schumacher, but even Schumacher - while he may have been a dirty cheating **** rather often - still had some humility about him. He certainly didn't take comparisons with Senna lightly like Hamilton does.
Quote from J.B. :wtf has leaving the track because of oversteer have to do with being childish? I'm beginning to wonder how many of you even saw the incident. Did they show it from onboard in the world feed? He passed Vettel, turned in, got oversteer, countersteered and left the track. He was already completly past Vettel when he had the OS moment. That's not the same as braking too late, not even trying to make the corner and accelerating along the escape route, overtaking another car on the way.

I'll agree that he and the team should have anticipated the problem and played safe by letting Vettel through but the penalty was still way out of line.

The only way he got past Vettel in the first place was carrying way too much speed for the line he was going to have to take to make the corner. Hence why the oversteer happened. Had he actually attempted to take the corner Vettel would have had him because he actually understood the concept of slowing down to make the corner, where as Hamilton just thought he'd be able to carry the same speed he did in quali...

I actually admired Hamilton in his karting days, talking to people who went down south to do some rounds and saying how good he was. Unfortunately at this moment in time his head is getting way too big for no reason at all, not like the results are flooding in. He maybe good over a lap on his own, but when the pressure is on he doesn't half know how to stuff it up.

He is making more n00b mistakes than that Yuji Ide guy who if I remember rightly got his super-license revoked.
Hamilton suckz! No he don't! Yes he does! He does not, hes the sh1t! No, he is sh1t!
Actualy after reading all this, i think it is his fault that alot of ppl hate him. If the statement after CAN gp was McLarens idea, then they are stupid as a brick too. It would be a lot less damagable to just acknowledge a noob mistake and it would go the dust sooner than it will now. And looking into his interviews, to have balls to be that cocky he clearly wasn't enough bitchslapped as a kid imo, and somebody should do it soon. I wonder what would happen if the guy would be Coulthard lol. What i hope to happen is for him to get pwned this season really hard. Even in a winnig car he should get so pwned, that he will cry for a month in a dark chamber somewhere and then he will finnaly realise what a **** he was. After that, he should crawl back humbly and shatap and just drive. And maybe after 2 years he will grow into a racer trully worthy of a title.

There thast what i think and: cant touch this :P

have fun yall, just wanted to stop by and flame sh1t
Quote from PwrSlave :I wonder what would happen if the guy would be Coulthard lol. What i hope to happen is for him to get pwned this season really hard. Even in a winnig car he should get so pwned, that he will cry for a month in a dark chamber somewhere and then he will finnaly realise what a **** he was. After that, he should crawl back humbly and shatap and just drive.

Just FTR: Coulthard never did that when he was at McLaren. At the start of every season he told the press it was going to be his year and he'd win the championship.

But that was different. That was just belief. He was never smug about it and he never belittled his opponents, he just reported to the press that he was fitter than ever, a better driver than ever, and he was going into the season intending to win it.

Hamilton's approach is a subtly different, and not subtly enough.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Well, the British press are calling him the natural successor to Schumacher....

:ices_rofl:uglyhamme

Like Spanish press with Alonso. What a crappy media in both countries :bananadea
Quote from NitroNitrous :Like Spanish press with Alonso. What a crappy media in both countries :bananadea

Ignoring the point you made (which was funny, sorry ) : I think Schumacher was the more gifted driver but Alonso made up for it with being smart. This season it's been really weird watching Alonso drive - he's usually the master of driving a measured, perfect race, but because his car can't win he's decided to just go for glory in every race and he fails each time.

I can understand why, because he's used to competing for championships and this year is just a temporary stay at a slower team for him, but I bet Renault are furious with him. He seems to have thrown away a lot of points already.

Of course they'll never actually say they're furious with him because they want to keep him. I bet Hamilton will never be that valuable to McLaren.
Imo Trulli and Webber on 18 pts is amazing for the cars they have.
Quote from evilpimp :It's like coming on the forums and saying I don't like you because the majority of the forum doesn't like you.

Ehm... no... more like: I don´t like you because the majority of the forum DOES like you.

Explains why I don´t like Ziggy.
Quote from evilpimp :So, you realise that now you're saying you don't like Hamilton because the press likes him? You're saying that you don't like him because people think he's better then he really is and not that you don't like him because he makes stupid mistakes. It's like coming on the forums and saying I don't like you because the majority of the forum doesn't like you. It's just not a way of chosing someone you like or not.

For me, I started watching F1 this year at the begining of the season so I don't know how he was before. I heard people say here on the forum that they didn't like him. I was still looking for a good driver to cheer for and all. After seeing Hamilton drive, I definetly wanted him to win. I found him to be a great driver. However, at Bahrain when he just smashed into the back of whoever's car I just found that stupid and he lost a lot of respect from me. Then in Canada, he smashs at the back of someone in the pits. That was plain stupid but seemed more like he wasn't paying attention and only realised they were stoped too late. Tried to move on the grass, locked the wheels up and hit kimi. I'm not saying it's not his fault, it's 100% his fault and stupid. But I doupt he aimed for kimi's car. Plus, Rosberg wasn't any better, he smashed into Hamilton's car right after so if Hamilton didn't do it, Rosberg would probaby have done it anyways. And then finally, in france. When he started storming like that from the start I lost respect for him. It looked like he was tryin to make it to top 5 in the first lap. It's simply suicidal. His pass on Vettel, looked a little cheap. He did make the pass, but was suicidal once again and instead of making it into an accident with Vettel he slid and kept going. He should have let Vettel back, yes. He lost some respect from me there aswell. So now, I'm still looking for someone to cheer for :P. Kimi seems like a great driver. Such for all his bad luck this season. After Sutil's drive in Monaco I actually thought about him being a great driver for quite a bit. But we'll have to see how he does in the futur.

So I don't like somone for being praised by the media or hated by the media. I make my own deductions. If he's overated by the media, too friggen bad. If I like him, good. In my mind I don't overate him. He is what he shows he is.

Sorry, I should have said "...we'd be slightly more inclined to like him". I reckon I'd still despise him as a smug, no-more-talented-than-anyone-else-on-the-current-F1-grid (indeed, less talented than some), rude, panic-prone, desperate person without the media.
However, because 'everyone' loves him, and because he is, apparently, the next Senna, Schumacher, Moss, Fangio, Mansell, Clark, Nuvolari, Peterson, Villeneuve, it makes me want to shout at everyone that falls for it. With the exception of Mansell, Hamilton is NOT as talented (in my opinion) as any of the above. Not even close. Mansell was also braver and a better RACER (i.e. wheel to wheel).

For example. I'm not a huge fan of Coulthard. I think he's always been overrated as a driver, although he is a good No.2 (and possibly a good development driver). He doesn't make many mistakes, and other than having the basic self-belief required to get to F1 (as discussed in previous posts), he's not an offensive person. As far as I know he was never made into something he wasn't. James Allen has never compared him to God. The media don't want to have sex with him all the time. He keeps himself to himself, and no one gets annoyed with him.

If (and it wouldn't happen, but bear with me) he was hyped up SO much before he's even sat in an F1 car, turned out to be smugger and more arrogant than any F1 driver of the last 20 years, and called the next Senna over and over again then I would probably be more vocal in my opinion of him.

Kubica is better than Hamilton. But he's not smug, not arrogant, and nobody has pretended he's the best there will ever be. That is why more and more Hamilton supporters are probably becoming Kubica supporters.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Ignoring the point you made (which was funny, sorry ) : I think Schumacher was the more gifted driver but Alonso made up for it with being smart. This season it's been really weird watching Alonso drive - he's usually the master of driving a measured, perfect race, but because his car can't win he's decided to just go for glory in every race and he fails each time.

I can understand why, because he's used to competing for championships and this year is just a temporary stay at a slower team for him, but I bet Renault are furious with him. He seems to have thrown away a lot of points already.

Of course they'll never actually say they're furious with him because they want to keep him. I bet Hamilton will never be that valuable to McLaren.

Well yeah, he has said it many times. Go big or go home, he has to risk it and try to get on top. Because finishing 7th or 8th all the time won't get him anywhere.
Alonso, like any self-respecting WDC, is a hard-core racer. And hard-core racers have the primal urge to catch the car in front and overtake. It's like a predatory instinct. So when he's in a mid-field car, battling for 6th, 7th or whatever, he's going to do some heroics. They won't always work, but where there is Alonso, there you'll see good racing.

Hence my respect for him has doubled this season. I didn't like his attitude last season, but he seems to have matured a great deal after those difficulties. This year, he's driving the wheel nuts off that ghastly Renault, racing like he's got nothing to lose.

Yesterday was probably the best GP I've seen in a long time. Hamilton vs Piquet; Webber vs Alonso; Kovi vs Trulli. Just wonderful.
Quote from tristancliffe :

For example. I'm not a huge fan of Coulthard. I think he's always been overrated as a driver, although he is a good No.2 (and possibly a good development driver). He doesn't make many mistakes, and other than having the basic self-belief required to get to F1 (as discussed in previous posts), he's not an offensive person. As far as I know he was never made into something he wasn't. James Allen has never compared him to God. The media don't want to have sex with him all the time. He keeps himself to himself, and no one gets annoyed with him.

Thats because he is Scottish, and the English media would never allow somebody north of the border to become like Hamilton...

...Ruddy English Barstewards

Quote from PwrSlave :It would be a lot less damagable to just acknowledge a noob mistake and it would go the dust sooner than it will now.
There thast what i think and: cant touch this :P

Exactly, and thats the kind of thing that has made people think twice about Hatememlol (inspired name, on a par with iRental )

Not sure I get the MC Hammer reference though

Quote from tristancliffe :
Kubica is better than Hamilton. But he's not smug, not arrogant, and nobody has pretended he's the best there will ever be. That is why more and more Hamilton supporters are probably becoming Kubica supporters.

TBH, I quite liked LH last year, even if I was shouting for Kimi to win the WDC. He looked like he could be the next big thing in British motorsport and I even hoped that by not winning last year it might just knock a little of that uncomfortable smugness out of him.

But yeh, you gotta like Kubica, and in fact 95% of the current F1 drivers are a pretty agreeable bunch.

Quote from diablo21 :Well yeah, he has said it many times. Go big or go home, he has to risk it and try to get on top. Because finishing 7th or 8th all the time won't get him anywhere.

All the time, sure. But when starting from 13th on the grid on a track which is difficult to overtake on, maybe taking any points at all would be better than nothing?

Quote from samjh :
Hence my respect for him (Alonso) has doubled this season. I didn't like his attitude last season, but he seems to have matured a great deal after those difficulties. This year, he's driving the wheel nuts off that ghastly Renault, racing like he's got nothing to lose.

I don't know if matured is the right word, but there has definatley been a significant change in FA's attitude this year, and it's not hard to see why. I agree, my respect for him has grown a lot this year.

He may not have had much say where he drove this year but I'm enjoying watching him hang it out and giving it everything to hang on to the big 3

ATM it looks like a proper 4 horse race for the WDC, but I expect it to come down to the two Ferrari boys come the last few races.
If you think about it, Hamilton has became the new Alonso, while Alonso has just shut up and stuck to racing.
Quote from tristancliffe :Sorry, I should have said "...we'd be slightly more inclined to like him". I reckon I'd still despise him as a smug, no-more-talented-than-anyone-else-on-the-current-F1-grid (indeed, less talented than some), rude, panic-prone, desperate person without the media.
However, because 'everyone' loves him, and because he is, apparently, the next Senna, Schumacher, Moss, Fangio, Mansell, Clark, Nuvolari, Peterson, Villeneuve, it makes me want to shout at everyone that falls for it. With the exception of Mansell, Hamilton is NOT as talented (in my opinion) as any of the above. Not even close. Mansell was also braver and a better RACER (i.e. wheel to wheel).

If (and it wouldn't happen, but bear with me) he was hyped up SO much before he's even sat in an F1 car, turned out to be smugger and more arrogant than any F1 driver of the last 20 years, and called the next Senna over and over again then I would probably be more vocal in my opinion of him.

Tristan you NEVER shut up about Hamilton. Your worse than Hamilton fanboys! Every post you make it's Hamitlon this and Hamilton that. eVery post on F1 you make is about... HAMILTON. In fact your just the same as ITV! lol
Quote from Mustafur :If you think about it, Hamilton has became the new Alonso, while Alonso has just shut up and stuck to racing.

That's a "press effect". While a few years ago the press focus at Alonso now they are focusing at Luis

Alonso is making the same interviews and saying the same type of things he always did (at last at Spain press which obviously continues centering at him )
Quote from samjh :Alonso, like any self-respecting WDC, is a hard-core racer. And hard-core racers have the primal urge to catch the car in front and overtake. It's like a predatory instinct. So when he's in a mid-field car, battling for 6th, 7th or whatever, he's going to do some heroics. They won't always work, but where there is Alonso, there you'll see good racing.

Hence my respect for him has doubled this season. I didn't like his attitude last season, but he seems to have matured a great deal after those difficulties. This year, he's driving the wheel nuts off that ghastly Renault, racing like he's got nothing to lose.

Yesterday was probably the best GP I've seen in a long time. Hamilton vs Piquet; Webber vs Alonso; Kovi vs Trulli. Just wonderful.

Exactly, he has nothing to lose. So why not risk it?

Quote :All the time, sure. But when starting from 13th on the grid on a track which is difficult to overtake on, maybe taking any points at all would be better than nothing?

Are you talking about Hatemelol? Cause I'm not.

And yeah, Alonso is doing the same as last year but british and not just british press are focusing on how bad Hamilton is doing as RocksGT said. I have seen him the same as last year.

F1 2008 French GP ***SPOILERS***
(294 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG