The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Oh that sounds like a damn good idea, to be honest i still keep forgeting about Hosted Sessions and all the possibilties it opens - the Late Model would be a good bit of fun on the right road tracks, ill have to look into that! (on a side note, i did have a race in late models tonight that did redeem them quite a bit, was an incident free, trash talk free race that was damn good fun)

Quote :
Quote :
Quote :Saturday 6 February. Server up around 17:00 GMT (12:00 EST; 09:00 PST); 30 minute open qualifying starting at 19:30 (14:30; 11:30) and race (standing) start at 20:00 (15:00; 12:00). 24 laps at around the 2 minute mark, so don't forget to practice your fuel and pitstop strategy.

NB: registration is manual, so please allow 24hrs for notification.

that was the first race but if you click on the schedule from the site link arrow, you'll see the complete list. Will be great fun. They also do a Legend advanced Road season too !
Well, my sub just expired the other day.

I'm not sure what to think really, now that the "holy crap this is the best thing ever" excitement has worn off. I really, really love the service, I think the leagues are awesome and I love the seemingly constant software updates. The tracks are the best I have ever seen, and probably the best I will ever see for a long time. The racing is great, respectable and close, and I like the car selection - lots of American oddities that probably won't ever make it into any other game. Every bone in my body yearns for that upcoming FR500C.

But, there's just something missing. The handling just lacks something to make it really feel like I'm driving a car (something LFS nails, IMO). And it must be said, the game is a little unforgiving in terms of spins and dropping wheels etc (but it's not too bad, and obviously I haven't tried every car). It also feels a bit like each car is using a completely different physics model (at least between the 3 rookie cars and the SR8). I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

LFS has it's problems in terms of handling, but overall it feels better to drive to me, more engaging. If iRacing had LFS' handling, with iRacing's tracks, cars and service, I would buy every ounce of content (road side anyway) and a 5-year membership. But I think for now iRacing will remain an expensive vacation from normal simracing in LFS and NKP.
It will be interesting to see how LFS' physics cope with the bumpyness of scanned tracks. I don't think it's a coincidence that the tirephysics are rewritten for the new track...
Well I've been a member for nearly 24hrs now and I must say I've enjoyed it. Had three races, a first, third and ninth. All of them oval races in the legends car at Boston. Think I'm going to move onto non-oval racing now as its a bit boring (sorry Americans ). Hopefully get my rookie rating up high enough for the solstice, what rating do I need for it? It's taking me a while to get used to layout and list of options etc, but slowly that'l come. So all in all it gets a from me.

Still prefer LFS at this early stage though!
Quote from atledreier :It will be interesting to see how LFS' physics cope with the bumpyness of scanned tracks. I don't think it's a coincidence that the tirephysics are rewritten for the new track...

Let's hope the old track surfaces are rewritten for the new tyre physics
Quote from Rudagar :Well I've been a member for nearly 24hrs now and I must say I've enjoyed it. Had three races, a first, third and ninth. All of them oval races in the legends car at Boston. Think I'm going to move onto non-oval racing now as its a bit boring (sorry Americans ). Hopefully get my rookie rating up high enough for the solstice, what rating do I need for it? It's taking me a while to get used to layout and list of options etc, but slowly that'l come. So all in all it gets a from me.

Still prefer LFS at this early stage though!

You can race in solstice anytime with any class
Shows how much I know . What's the next level for my rating to get to?
Quote from atledreier :It will be interesting to see how LFS' physics cope with the bumpyness of scanned tracks. I don't think it's a coincidence that the tirephysics are rewritten for the new track...

I don't think the tyre physics are being rewritten for Rockingham, but rather for the VWS that simply showed by example how the current physics couldn't reproduce real-life behaviour satisfactorily, even with (or maybe especially because of) the stability aids the VWS has.
I personally think the oval side is more fun than the road side to be honest (and I'm English!). The Legends are great fun if you're up to speed, I love it. Only problem is I'm struggling to get my SR up without getting punted off, and it's SO expensive for tracks and cars. But I shall try my hardest!
Quote from SilverArrows77 :To then move up from D to C class, you will need to do the same things, but you will need to race in elgible series, which will mean buying more content past the basic subscription content ..eg: Skippy or Late Model etc. (this is where your wallet gets thinner and thinner)

Can't you just keep racing the Solstice and Legends as D-class to get your SR up high enough to progress to C (and B etc... after that)?
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Thanks for that, definately worth looking into, think the LM would be damn fun on road (might go take it for a run on Lime Rock to see)

here's a few road setups you might like to try
Attached files
AK_Mosport_S4.zip - 5.4 KB - 180 views
Quote from Wilko868 :I personally think the oval side is more fun than the road side to be honest (and I'm English!). The Legends are great fun if you're up to speed, I love it. Only problem is I'm struggling to get my SR up without getting punted off, and it's SO expensive for tracks and cars. But I shall try my hardest!

The Legends is pure fun - full stop. Sadly I missed the Legends Road Series, but the 24h du fun at the Glen was epic...
Quote from obsolum :Can't you just keep racing the Solstice and Legends as D-class to get your SR up high enough to progress to C (and B etc... after that)?

You can, but it is harder to gain SR as you progress, espicially if you race in a lower class. Not saying it's not possible, just takes a bit longer thats all.
I got to class A in a matter of weeks! I'm not sure if it is possible to progress from D class in the solstice or legend is it? I thought you needed to race in the class you're at or above to satisfy the MPR needed to be promoted? Correct me if I'm wrong, which is likely, I haven't been in iRacing very long.
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Im sure you cant guys, becuase it requires you to do, for example, C class races for your MPR, to progress to B... etc etc - and Solstice and Legends are only classed as R (or D?). To view what cars are what class etc, chose Series, and you will see all the possible racing seasons are grouped in licence classes.

If site was not down for maintenance id show ya what i mean with some screenshots, will do later if it helps

You can get around that by just doing 4 Time trials instead of 4 races.

Just had to make this.
Quote from SilverArrows77 :But you still must do TT's for a class that meets your MPR - which is the class lower then one you are progressing to.. only exception to this is with an SR above 4, will let you into a series higher than u truly fit, but only by one level. eg: my D Class with 4.55 SR allowed me to enter C class Star Mazda Series.

Ill show with screenshots later, will make more sense

Edit - An an example of this is that i was D class 4.55 SR for quite sometime, which would qualify me for a fast track, but because i didnt own a car (to do the 4 TT's or races with) that was higher then D rated, until i bought the mazda, i could not meet my MPR for the fast track, or even normal licence upgrade.

Yeah quite correct, it's myslef who is not explaing it/getting the discussion. Need to go back to bed soon i think.
Quote from DaveWS :
Just had to make this.

I was just about to moan about that. I want to get my oval SR up!
Quote from DaveWS :Just had to make this.

Hahaha, I'm at work now but that's exactly how I feel when I'm home and that happens. Make sure you post that up on the iRacing forums when they come back.
Awesome, i should do that in work the pcs over there are almost 10 year old crap

BTW anyone doing lotus @ brands hatch?
Quote from DaveWS :
Just had to make this.

i lol'd.

It would be nice if they could let us know when the sites going to be down.
Would it take much to add it to the scrolling info bar on the front page the day before it happens?
Not fair on the Aussies tbh, fri night & you cant use the most expensive software thats on your pc.

lotus @ brands, im there.
They wrote a post in forum saying about the maintenance. Ok its not in the main page but its somewhere be cool
Anyone up for a hosted race some time next week? I'm free to any suggestions and I'm paying! Also suggestions for days would be fab.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG