The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from anttt69 :do the rookie series even race on daytona?

No, but you can look at it that way: you've purchased Daytona and now play three months for free...
Quote from FooAtari :Less brakes, more speed through the corner That was the biggest thing I noticed watching others, you can carry a lot of speed through the corners.

It's not that simple, not braking enough will also slow you down but being able to brake deeper into corner will usually help. But first and foremost one should focus on getting consistent laptimes without spinning or crashing, from licence level C and above there is no resets.

Skippy and Spec Racer are valuable learning tools, they can sometimes be a handful but they're fairly forgiving when pushed over the limit and you have plenty of time to do correction. Mazda and Radical are little bit different, while they do have a lot more grip, they require much more precise driving to go fast and far quicker recovery when gone beyond the limit.
All I was referring to was at lime park I was braking much more and earlier than I needed to. I didn;t realise how much grip the solstice had and how much speed it could carry through the corner. When I learned this I took about a second off my lap time.
Lime rock is the worst for me in the solstice I Can't properly brake for turn 1 I keep locking up like crazy
Quote from FooAtari :All I was referring to was at lime park I was braking much more and earlier than I needed to. I didn;t realise how much grip the solstice had and how much speed it could carry through the corner. When I learned this I took about a second off my lap time.

you have abuse that thing.

chuck it in, full throttle all the way to keep it rotating, then exit the corner thinking you would never drive like that in real life.
Quote from AjRose :Lime rock is the worst for me in the solstice I Can't properly brake for turn 1 I keep locking up like crazy

make sure u full press the braked down in the pits before you pull out every time you go on the track. I have heard some people mod their pedals using dxtweak2 or other programs so that even when they pres their pedals down fully, the game only sees it at 90%, but i think that is cheating.
Quote from Gabkicks :make sure u full press the braked down in the pits before you pull out every time you go on the track. I have heard some people mod their pedals using dxtweak2 or other programs so that even when they pres their pedals down fully, the game only sees it at 90%, but i think that is cheating.

DXtweak2 doesn't work with iRacing, but you can short calibrate in the ingame controller calibration if you want. You can also set a deadzone there. Takes some fiddling, but definitely works.

Also notice how there is a non-linear correspondence between how far you push the pedal and how much the red bar in game moves! It's almost exponential. This is intentional, but takes some getting used to when you come from another sim.
If anyone has VIR and also the Late Model, get in to the 24 Heures du fun today. It's sensational!

For the best setup as a base, go to general discussion and look for the late model 24hdf thread and you'll find a set called ROAD COURSE.sto

brilliant!
Quote from StableX :For the best setup as a base, go to general discussion and look for the late model 24hdf thread and you'll find a set called ROAD COURSE.sto

brilliant!

Crazy combo, quite liked it for practise, not that sure about races though. Wait, no SR penalty involved in 24hdf, uaaah
Quote from AjRose :Lime rock is the worst for me in the solstice I Can't properly brake for turn 1 I keep locking up like crazy

Yeah I lock up quite a lot as well.

Gabkicks's tip is useful, apparently there is some calibration issues and pressing the brake all the way down before you leave the pits remedies this. I find you don't need to push the break peddle that far. Also don't change to third to quickly as that causes problems too.
It's probably not the fastst way but I point the car towards the corner before braking, still trailing the brakes as I just clip the first curb, I then drift out a little so I can start accelarting early through the second apex of the corner.

You might find these circuit maps useful
Quote from Gabkicks :make sure u full press the braked down in the pits before you pull out every time you go on the track. I have heard some people mod their pedals using dxtweak2 or other programs so that even when they pres their pedals down fully, the game only sees it at 90%, but i think that is cheating.

Yep, I do that all the time. I'm used to things coming out of calibration between signing up and starting a race. I've played way to many sims to take that for chance

It's mostly the crappy dfp pedals I have atm. The spring is so weak I almost have to curl my toes around the top of the pedal to brake properly.

Quote from Gnomie :DXtweak2 doesn't work with iRacing, but you can short calibrate in the ingame controller calibration if you want. You can also set a deadzone there. Takes some fiddling, but definitely works.

Also notice how there is a non-linear correspondence between how far you push the pedal and how much the red bar in game moves! It's almost exponential. This is intentional, but takes some getting used to when you come from another sim.

Yep I play a few different sims pretty frequently switching around always takes a little bit to get used to em again.

Quote from FooAtari :Yeah I lock up quite a lot as well.

Gabkicks's tip is useful, apparently there is some calibration issues and pressing the brake all the way down before you leave the pits remedies this. I find you don't need to push the break peddle that far. Also don't change to third to quickly as that causes problems too.
It's probably not the fastst way but I point the car towards the corner before braking, still trailing the brakes as I just clip the first curb, I then drift out a little so I can start accelarting early through the second apex of the corner.

You might find these circuit maps useful

I Can do low 1:04's pretty consistently I just know I'm losing most of my time in that corner. And I wont dare try to brake as late as most people do there during a race. I've tried it in practice but It always ends in disaster.

I have some clubsport pedals sitting next to me but I wont be able to use them properly until my new Load Sensor gets here. Hopefull being able to adjust them properly will help with the braking problems.
Quote from StableX :If anyone has VIR and also the Late Model, get in to the 24 Heures du fun today. It's sensational!

For the best setup as a base, go to general discussion and look for the late model 24hdf thread and you'll find a set called ROAD COURSE.sto

brilliant!

One of my new favorite combos!

PB was like a 2:00.7, and it felt so rewarding!
Quote from PMD9409 :One of my new favorite combos!

PB was like a 2:00.7, and it felt so rewarding!

low 2.02's for me and I felt rewarded at that...... man, it's a handful but going sideways around the tree is a wicked feeling
Quote from StableX :low 2.02's for me and I felt rewarded at that...... man, it's a handful but going sideways around the tree is a wicked feeling

Hit a low 2:00 last race, was going all out sliding around the tree and clipped it with my RF. Didn't do any real damage but I lost time.

Heh, need to take the Stock Car Cup to iRacing and do Latemodels on half oval, half road. Need leagues!
Quote from PMD9409 :Hit a low 2:00 last race, was going all out sliding around the tree and clipped it with my RF. Didn't do any real damage but I lost time.

Heh, need to take the Stock Car Cup to iRacing and do Latemodels on half oval, half road. Need leagues!

I'm on the list for leagues - let's see what happens
any news on when the mustang/corvette will be released? the TDi is supposed to be released in september at start of season, iirc.
Personally I'm looking forward to the Lotus
Quote from Gabkicks :any news on when the mustang/corvette will be released? the TDi is supposed to be released in september at start of season, iirc.

Jetta will be coming for Season 3 and Corvette seems to be very near completion so my guess would be Season 4 or first season of 2010. Fords are probably very much work-in-progress since they were announced only short while ago.
Not too impressed with the online racing so far. People going off track and backing out to the middle of the track while you're coming around a bend, with no chance of avoiding a hit. Happened 3 times the last 2 races I did. And the typical T1 carnage is there as well. Further more, is the Solstice made of paper? Touching another car in like 5km/h totally screws the suspension. And ffs, no repairs when pitting?
Quote from arco :Not too impressed with the online racing so far. People going off track and backing out to the middle of the track while you're coming around a bend, with no chance of avoiding a hit. Happened 3 times the last 2 races I did. And the typical T1 carnage is there as well. Further more, is the Solstice made of paper? Touching another car in like 5km/h totally screws the suspension. And ffs, no repairs when pitting?

Think of Rookie as joining demo servers in LFS. Sometimes you find utter retards, and other times you find a good race.
arco: Disregarding the paper comment, IF your suspension is damaged, do you think that can be repaired in pits while racing?

And the rookie servers are generally pretty good. If someone mess up, well.. it could be their first race online. I know I was intimidated like hell the first few races and often messed up trying to get out of the way. If someone mess up in the rookie servers I'd send them a PM after the race explaining what they should have done and hope they learn.
I've had races ruined by people spinning and reversing onto the track... (solstice) Despite braking and barely scraping against them, iRacing's brilliant damage model thinks I t-boned a truck at 150km/h
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG