The online racing simulator
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :A few nice shots there, think img9 (yellow kart no 67) out of the set in the dropbox link is the best out of that bunch.

Next time I would be looking to try and get a bit lower down if possible it will give a better overall look to the kart's. Also try and avoid capturing the rear of the kart's (although 'img1' is the exception that proves the rule here) and get more face on photo's. Not only will you get more emphasis on the driver and kart, but if they are wearing a reflective visor you could get some nice reflections, see my set from the LFS kart meet for an example, click my flickr link on sig and chose motorsport.

But back to 'img1', not sure what was too your right as you set up, but I would have been trying to get further right than you got and get some of the apex/entrance of the last turn, he left hand side is a bit cluttered and draws the eye away from the track, which has a nice setup of the kart's following the racing line which should be the focal point of that pick. It could be that there's no way that could happen but for me that's where I would be trying to take it.

What are you using btw?

Thanks for the feedback!
I can't really get any 'Face on' picture from the trackside as the positioning is wrong, or my lens can't zoom enough to make the picture worth while. I may be able to get lower though at my next kart meeting and see how those pictures look

Yeah, that was what I was going for in img1, the karts on the racing line. Obviously I've still got much to learn! Like you said, the apex of the corner was just to the right slightly, but I guess I just fail. I won't be going to that track again any time soon so I guess that's an opportunity of a good picture missed!

As for what I'm using, 1000D with the standard 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens.
Quote from Seb66 :Thanks for the feedback!
I can't really get any 'Face on' picture from the trackside as the positioning is wrong, or my lens can't zoom enough to make the picture worth while. I may be able to get lower though at my next kart meeting and see how those pictures look

Yeah, that was what I was going for in img1, the karts on the racing line. Obviously I've still got much to learn! Like you said, the apex of the corner was just to the right slightly, but I guess I just fail. I won't be going to that track again any time soon so I guess that's an opportunity of a good picture missed!

As for what I'm using, 1000D with the standard 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens.

Maybe it's just the timing that was out....what I would do is switch to continuous shooting rather than a single shot as this would allow you to start shooting earlier and follow the kart. Also increases the chance of keepers.

As for 'img1' I would not call that a fail, it's a picture which did not come the way you expected/hoped for, but you know why. I learn more from these types of pics than others....espically if it's something simple that someone suggest that I overlooked

How is the 1000D anyway, I have a brother who is looking to get himeself a DSLR and he asked for advice but I've only used the Sony Alpha's so far.
Look for a postion where you can get them coming out of a turn, even with a small standard kit lens you should still be able to get a decent enough picture which you could crop a bit to give a bigger impression

Last one is a fantastic composition.
Well I was at work two days ago doing a shoot for the GAs (graduate assistants) at my school's recreation center (I do all the photos for VSU's Rec sports http://www.flickr.com/photos/vsu_recreation)

Anyways so yesterday at work my camera took a serious firmware plunge, worse than ever before. For the past almost two years every now and again my camera would freak out and think it is in auto mode while in M or A, randomly the built in flash will pop up even if a hotshoe flash is attached... yesterday however it was far worse than ever before, typically an off and back on would get it back to working semi normal, this wasn't the case. It took much longer and the flashes wouldn't cooperate and everything was failing on the spot, while everyone had to get back to work.

It is really funny to read about photography bloggers about.. oh you don't need such and such equipment, you don't really need a semi pro camera you don't even need an slr you don't need this you don't need that. Which as far as I have come in the world of photography.. the more equipment the better of everything. A normal person would NEVER go out and spend $2000 on a lens just to get some jollies out of it. I have used my D40 harder than any photographer I have personally met, it has been in situations bottom of the line cameras are never thought of to be in. Severe cold, heat, rain, constant switching and swapping of parts and always on the job, especially at work.

The D40 was made for a consumer to have an affordable dSLR. Within a month of owning it I had already abused that much of it. 3 years later it has been through so much more than one was ever intended. Amazingly however if you saw the camera you would think nothing of it, physically it is in absolutely mint condition. It has never been dropped or anything, but it has been through some rough times.

The shutter life is still fine on it, it has just passed 40,000 actuations earlier this week, Nikon guarantees up to 50,000, but the internals have just about had enough.

It has done well for the most part, leisurely speaking it has been great. Professionally it gets the job done, but I can't expect to much out of it, which is why I have quit reading many bloggers, especially Ken Rockwell and DPS (digital photography school). A camera is only made to withstand so much. I wouldn't say I abused that line, but I have taken beyond the full potential of the camera no doubt about it.

On a tangent, I hate it when people say something about the true potential of a camera. Especially when the line before that is along the lines of oh you don't need a great camera.... I don't know about them, but I know I do. If I could afford it I would have a D3x and a 200-400 f/4 and other amazing equipment.

Anyways so very soon my old D40 will be replaced with either a D300 or D300s and will make my 40 my backup for whatever reason. Between classes, my current job, and another job I am trying to get, having a camera that fails on you is not a good thing.

Just thought I would share my story!
It's true that you don't need great equipment to make great art (or even to shoot weddings, etc). But better equipment certainly makes things easier, and easier is what you want when you're dealing with that kind of stress.
my dog
Just quick one from today when being on the walk with my dog (Juliet)

Some recent ones of my trip to the lake district.

I had forgotten I had left my camera on manual so this pic came out way too dark, but for some reason I still like it.

And my favorite of the whole trip.
Sucker is big.. and weighs a fair amount too!
and it does 720p video which is stunning!

used both of these cameras this morning for the 5k run, it worked awesome! Had my 70-200 on the 300s for most of the morning and the 10-20 on the 40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LtgykJ7UOE
No landscapes or such from me,....dont have the eye for those type of photo's yet although I am practising. Instead it's back to the Shinty. 2 games today, Inverness winning the first one 2-1 over Lochbroom, but getting thumped in the 2nd game 7-3 by local rivals Beauly.

Why are your shots so noisy for only being shot at 400 ISO and lower?
Is that something you're doing or what?
Quote from XCNuse :Why are your shots so noisy for only being shot at 400 ISO and lower?
Is that something you're doing or what?

I think I may have had the shutter speed to high as most of them where underexposed. Was shooting at 1/1000 some times when I should have been at 1/640. Trouble was that the light was constantly changing from bright sunshine where I could get away with it to hdding behind the clouds and I din't adjust the speed
Haven't posted in this thread in quite a long while, so I thought I'd drop a few images in and say HI!

I'm still running the old Nikon D1x, which must be about 10 years old now. Still doing a Project 365, which is proving difficult but very rewarding. Still pottering.

Attached images
DSC_0562.jpg
DSC_0780.jpg
DSC_1739.jpg
DSC_1790.jpg
DSC_2536.jpg
DSC_8821.jpg
A few from the past week.

If anyone was uncertain, Finland is the goddamn worst place on earth to do photography.
Quote from spankmeyer :If anyone was uncertain, Finland is the goddamn worst place on earth to do photography.

Agreed.
Quote from spankmeyer :If anyone was uncertain, Finland is the goddamn worst place on earth to do photography.

The UK ain't much fun either, but I can imagine that buying a camera in Finland without buying at least one flashgun would be like buying a car without wheels.

On the other hand, I bet your "golden hours", when they happen, last a lot longer than ours! When I lived in Chicago (much further south than the UK), it wasn't so much a "golden hour" as a "golden 15 minutes".
Quote from SamH :The UK ain't much fun either, but I can imagine that buying a camera in Finland without buying at least one flashgun would be like buying a car without wheels.

On the other hand, I bet your "golden hours", when they happen, last a lot longer than ours! When I lived in Chicago (much further south than the UK), it wasn't so much a "golden hour" as a "golden 15 minutes".

It's more about the thing that Finland is a amazingly boring land with nothing of interest unless you have a thing for are pine trees. No race tracks, no large car parks, no vacant industrial zones, no deserts, no fields, no rocky mountains, no waterfalls, meh.

The lack of light doesn't help either.
Some old some new

The big oaks in the background of the second photo are the foreground trees in the first photo later in summer

http://tommiylen.com/keravaralli2010.html

My camera is dying already

Some bad problems with focusing and sometimes a lot of kind of a chromatic aberration(?), no matter what lens I use..

btw, first time photographing a rally event
Local Derby Footie. Nothing better than heading down to the local pitches and watching 2 teams battle it out to the bitter end....well maybe if it wasn't constantly raining all the bloody time but then it is Scotland in August

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG