The online racing simulator
S2 Alpha Patch W
(298 posts, closed, started )
Dynamic LOD reduction reduces the level of detail dynamically! So in a crowded start where you would normally get 15fps you'll get 35 or more with the option turned on.
Quote from governor :after W, i've noticed the same as well, thought it was cuz of my humble system... well, it is not a major lag in mine, but i can notice a skin is downloaded before reading the notification text ... more like a lock-up than lag... hope my explanation helps...

Yup. Exactly same for me.
Quote from kompa :Dynamic LOD reduction reduces the level of detail dynamically! So in a crowded start where you would normally get 15fps you'll get 35 or more with the option turned on.

That's what it's supposed to do. But to be quite honest, I've never noticed a bit of difference. I can load a single player game with 12 AI cars and pause the game where there are a lot of cars and background objects in view. With the in-game framerate turned on, I can open the options and move that slider back and forth without seeing any difference at all. No change in how the game looks and no change in framerate. This is not the case with the other LOD options. Things like User LOD and Mip Bias are immediately noticeable.
Maybe you're running enough FPS so it doesn't kick in? I know it works on multiplayer. The cars in the mirrors look awful tbh but it all settles down after a few corners. And the FPS never dips below 35 with Dynamic LOD reduction set to 1.00.
Quote from kompa :Maybe you're running enough FPS so it doesn't kick in? I know it works on multiplayer. The cars in the mirrors look awful tbh but it all settles down after a few corners. And the FPS never dips below 35 with Dynamic LOD reduction set to 1.00.

I've tried on a couple different machines and never seen a difference. I just tried it on a spare machine here at work. With 8 or so cars on screen I was getting 38fps. The Dynamic LOD slider made no difference at all. None.

This is especially odd since I have it turned all the way down at home, IIRC, but I still occasionally see octagon wheels, even though my system is plenty capable of running LFS.
still suprised they didn't add in brake fade on the street cars, green/cold fade on the GT's/racecars, no brake squeal on the GT's, and no subtle road noise, and no turbo spool noise (basically davews's full sound package)

also full clutch emulation would be great, less on and off on the street cars, more gradual engagement--but of course you can leave the GT's as an on or off clutch...

otherwise amazing patch! every other fix is much appreciated and is very noticeable!
This is the difference between 1.00 and 0.00 on my machine. The game is paused on the shots but with 0.00 i got about 30 fps and with 1.00 more than 40.
Attached images
lfs_00000006.jpg
lfs_00000007.jpg
Quote from michaelnyden :still suprised they didn't add in brake fade on the street cars, green/cold fade on the GT's/racecars, no brake squeal on the GT's, and no subtle road noise, and no turbo spool noise (basically davews's full sound package)
also full clutch emulation would be great, less on and off on the street cars, more gradual engagement--but of course you can leave the GT's as an on or off clutch...

Those things could not have been added in a compatible patch. And I don't think Scawen likes adding fake stuff (brake squeal without actual brake fade etc). There is a turbo spool sound, but it is really quiet in the latest patch.
Anyway I don't think this patch was originally even meant to be released, these features were supposed to be part of the next incompatible patch.
Quote from Cue-Ball :That's what it's supposed to do. But to be quite honest, I've never noticed a bit of difference. I can load a single player game with 12 AI cars and pause the game where there are a lot of cars and background objects in view. With the in-game framerate turned on, I can open the options and move that slider back and forth without seeing any difference at all. No change in how the game looks and no change in framerate. This is not the case with the other LOD options. Things like User LOD and Mip Bias are immediately noticeable.

try with an mpr
Quote from Shotglass :try with an mpr

You can't do it with an mpr because when you hit escape to bring up the options, it exits the replay.
Quote from Maelstrom :I had to unlock the game afer I patched it!Is it normal?

The new sounds are just great! Well i don't see much improvement with the road cars but the others are fantastics!

Same for me ... guess it's normal
Didn't see this mentioned so I figured I let it be known:

The firewall software provided by Verizon (U.S. telecom provider and ISP) thinks that the updater is a virus. This occurs both for the standalone download and the autoupdater. The only solution is to disable Verizon's A/V feature, update LFS, then turn the A/V back on through the "Security Suite".

MacAfee, Norton, and AVG have no problems with it.

Cheers.
NOD32 has no problems either.
nice work scawen.

everything works great for me, and i love the new sounds, with just one exception:

at high speed and open throttle, there is a sort of "throbbing" sound that's a bit irritating. (the the FXR at least - haven't tried the other cars on the new patch yet)
I know what you mean about the FXR, reminds me of the scanner beep from the trackers in the film Aliens.
Quote from geeman1 :There is a turbo spool sound, but it is really quiet in the latest patch.

Wasn't the turbo sound already "killed" during patch V test versions?

Maybe letting to set higher values (than 2.0 which is max currently) for turbo volume in the sound editor would be easy way to fix this... or at least a workaround.
Quote from Bob Smith :I know what you mean about the FXR, reminds me of the scanner beep from the trackers in the film Aliens.

Yeah,i heard that just yesterday...but i thought it was only me...I could hear it best wih high gears...in 5th it was the best to hear if i remember correctly
Patch W works like a dream....lol.

Scawen I would like to help you advertise LFS a little more.

This is purely to get more players in Live For Speed.

If you could possibly make a sort of Banner with the demensions of 100x400 Pixals,and with a link in the banner I would proudly advertise LFS on other forums and websites.
Quote from deggis :Wasn't the turbo sound already "killed" during patch V test versions?

Around that time yes.
It's ok for road cars though. The turbos aren't very loud on normal cars. Don't know about race cars though, they use louder turbos in those in real life, but don't know how audible they are in the cockpit, they may be obscured by other sounds.
Got crash with W, was hosting online game with layout on KY3, race ended, clicked "end online game" and LFS crashed right away, address 0x0000000000050001.
Don't usually post as I never have problems and don't like to clog forums up with hundreds of thankyou's but felt it my duty this time. Yet again this is another fantastic update. I like the little bit of insight too as to what you will be working on next. Running very smooth also. Thanks again Scawen and co for making and improving the best car simulator in the world. Alric.
Quote from deggis :Wasn't the turbo sound already "killed" during patch V test versions?

Maybe letting to set higher values (than 2.0 which is max currently) for turbo volume in the sound editor would be easy way to fix this... or at least a workaround.

You could always turn up the turbo volume all the way and reduce the turbo muffling (or whatever it's called), couldn't you? Or is it still not loud enough then?
Starting LFS today and encountered something strange.
At first everything ran as smooth as always, got the server list etc. but when joining a server my graphics went all crazy, gray boxes and other nonsense graphics. My FPS was really bad, around 10 when normally I´m getting smooth 80.
So I exited the server and everything seemed to be all cheesy, restarted but it didnt cure it, the screeshot is from the starting screen, havent really tried anything else just yet, tought to report this first.
And haven't installed anything since last start of lfs, haven't even rebooted my PC.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jonesy_/Starting_screen.jpg
The formula xr and xr gt are both a lot better sounding now. The uf gtr sounds particularly nasty!
Quote from Jonesy_ :And haven't installed anything since last start of lfs, haven't even rebooted my PC.

You can get this issue when the graphics card runs out of allocatable memory, or from dud graphics drivers. A reboot should clear the issue if it's a memory issue.
This thread is closed

S2 Alpha Patch W
(298 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG