The online racing simulator
S2 Alpha Patch W
(298 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :Maybe I can choose colours that are more distinguishable for colourblind people... it's quite a common thing.

I'd be interested to know a set of colours you find easy to see the difference between, then I could take your colours and ask some other colourblind people which ones they find easy, then choose ones that I like and change the small map triangles to match them, so they are ok for everyone.

Check out the color blindness article on wikipedia. Scroll down to the bottom to the external links section, there are some links that could help you out with testing to see if something is usable for a colorblind person.
Quote from Indiana Jim :Hmmm... I'm sort of new to LFS, but could you have replaced the S2 sounds with the S1 sounds?

Not possible...
Just checked W out. Overall I really like the new sound and gfx improvements. I would even daresay the default setup for UF1 has changed but it was just probably me reacting to the new sounds.
The new credit screen is really classy. I love smooth scrolling credits
Quote from halllo_fireball :Uh didn't know i could already edit the sound - i'll work on it now...

Jan :-)

Erm... yeah... good luck with that...:nol2:
My FPS has now dropped to often unplayable levels now with this latest patch and everything is set at lowest possible settings allready. Im afraid I may be bumped off this game entirely due to system performance, and dont tell me to just get a new system. I've got a wee bit more important things to spend on at the moment and for awhile. :'(
Quote from KurtG85 :My FPS has now dropped to often unplayable levels now with this latest patch and everything is set at lowest possible settings allready. Im afraid I may be bumped off this game entirely due to system performance, and dont tell me to just get a new system. I've got a wee bit more important things to spend on at the moment and for awhile. :'(

Kurt - this new patch carries more benefitsd to system performance - you should not be suffering system performance issues.

Essentially give the pc a full check up form the neck up - defrag, clean up - remove those unnessercary programs etc, create some room on the hard drive - aand give it another go.

This patch was an improvement on performance - nothing new added except for sound configs etc.
Master port is now selectable in cfg.txt (29339 or 8080)

How do you select this exactly ?

Do you go into the cfg.txt file and just edit it or something else i'm not aware of.

Just wondering as i'm with tiscali and cannot connect between 4pm and 11pm due to port blocking and traffic shaping, hopefully this may cure some of the problems
Small map - cplors - again
Quote from duke_toaster :T
Yourself - green
Cars on the same lap as you - red
Cars more than one lap behind you - blue
Cars more than one lap ahead of you - yellow.
Heavily damaged cars should flash as well.

I don't agree your suggestion because u have green and yellow for yourself and another group.
I can figure out whats green and whats yellow, but i need to long for it, and when i quick watch at the small map, then i find myself not fast enough in a yellow-group. Many other people have the same problem like i, i guess.
two questions (first time writing on this forum)
is there a possibility to get sound of F1 car from patch U ? anyhow ?

how long will the LFS available for Win 98 SE ?

because i am using it and i am very happy with lfs on it.
Quote from Small Record :is there a possibility to get sound of F1 car from patch U ? anyhow ?

how long will the LFS available for Win 98 SE ?

because i am using it and i am very happy with lfs on it.

1) I think save them from the old version (best is to rename them since they have the same file name) and load them in LFS with Shift + A should do the job.

2) I guess as long we don't start to use any dx10 features playing LFS on a win98 machine should be no problem.
Ya, I realize I havnt given it a full resuscitory attempt yet. I have become somewhat of a 'master' at maximazing performance from my system however and I am a bit worried as the performance hit seems pretty obvious. From only a couple sessions (and i know this is inconclusive) I thought I noticed that the cars were being rendered with more polygons from farther away. Before, quite literally, cars were made up of like 6 polygons until they were about 10 yards or so away. Now it seems that cars are near fully rendered much further away. Ive turned my lod all the way down.
Heres a run down of all the things I do to my computer to get lfs running at 30-45 fps so I dont get any of the following advice: all minimum textures, all shadows off, buffering off, simple everything, im running lfs in "high priority" mode, all other possible syst. and other programs are closed that can possibly be closed without the comp crashing, im running in 800x600 16bit mode (cant read text at any lower res), I use the 'crap cleaner' program everytime im done with an internet session, I defrag etc. quite often, i have all kinds of anti virus/spyware/adware programs which I run often to weed out crap, so I just thought id list those so i dont get any of that advice to try and speed things up.
So there hasn't been any major change to your computer between V and W?
-
(JasonJ) DELETED by JasonJ
thanks to "three_jump"
thx a lot

i recognised that Patch_U dont have the posibility to change engine
(or i dont know how ) but Patch_V do.

mate u helped me a lot.

dankeschön

greetings to my northern Neighbor

Quote from undertech :So there hasn't been any major change to your computer between V and W?

Lower LOD, which means ur computer should have a better frame rate thro.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, what Flo said, just disable it. I guess your anti virus software is worried because LFS downloaded a program from the internet and is trying to run it. But apparently it's not giving you the option to bypass that. So I'd say maybe you should complain to the provider of your antivirus software that it is stopping you using the autoupdate system of a safe computer program. Really it would be good if the antivirus software popped up and asked you if you wanted it to continue.

I had the same problem using FProt, as it automatically deleted the file, but on this program there is a setting to have a pop up asking you whether you wanted to continue, as Scawen mentioned here.
Thanks for the great enhancements. I'll just have to buy a newer GFX card I guess I lost 15fps even at when using crummy 0.4 USER LOD (I used to be running at 1.0 USER LOD no problemo) I'm always using Dynamic LOD reduction set at 1.0 for what its worth. All patches V-V8 I had no drop in FPS, just V9 & W turned my PC into a toaster.

It seems to be layouts that are effecting FPS mostly. Maybe the draw distance on layout objects has been effected with the changes to V9 & W and this makes many more objects on screen than usual when playing on multiplayer with a layout? Before you all tell me to stay off servers with layouts, dont forget STCC servers use layouts, as well as other fun servers.

On servers with no layouts I have only tiny loss in FPS (5 or so) and can still use 0.8 USER LOD which looks nice, normal and comfortable. Thanks again cheif and thanks for giving us the oppertunity to both moan and praise your efforts here.

Quote from undertech :If it does not tax performance why not use a pattern to distinguish the car markers, example solid for you, vertical striped for enemies, solid borders for defeated enemies, offset dots for vanquished enemies, and so forth.

Am I in the right forum? Enemies? har har.:ambulance

I've seen a few here requesting red/green triangles. Some people are red/green coloured blind. In fact there is many types of coloured blindness. Proceed with caution when choosing new colours.

AND please, the rotating map is essential. If you decide to lock it to stay still as has been requested by the gen-CSS's, I beg of you, please allow an option for both fixed/rotating. I don't fancy having to figure out where cars are when then map is inverted or 90 degrees to my actual view.

PS: Thanks for explaining how to initialize the log file in the autoexec.lfs

:smash3d:
Quote from undertech :So there hasn't been any major change to your computer between V and W?
Quote from keithano :Lower LOD, which means ur computer should have a better frame rate thro.

Quote from KurtG85 :.....and dont tell me to just get a new system. I've got a wee bit more important things to spend on at the moment and for awhile. :'(

Quote from KurtG85 :..... Ive turned my lod all the way down.....

Quote from Scawen :Maybe I can choose colours that are more distinguishable for colourblind people... it's quite a common thing.

I'd be interested to know a set of colours you find easy to see the difference between, then I could take your colours and ask some other colourblind people which ones they find easy, then choose ones that I like and change the small map triangles to match them, so they are ok for everyone.

Yea, i'm not fully colourblind but i would love to help, since green and yellow (or red and brown, green and orange) are very difficult to ehm... separate? (dunno if that's the right word)
I am colourblind, and I tend to not worry about the colours on the minimap because I can't make head nor tail of em LOL.

Surely the simplest soloution would be to make the colours user-definable, like you have done with the UI, that way people can tune it to their preference, as I think it will be a VERY difficult task to please everyone with these colours.
I guess it should not be so hard to allow us to choose colors of arrows ourselves (sorry if i'm wrong). Cause everyone wants another colors. And +1 for color difference for cars more than 1 lap ahead and cars less than 1 lap ahead. Custom colors also solve out the problem, when some people don't want to differentiate more than behind/ahead cars.

Anyway, good job
Quote from JasonJ :
AND please, the rotating map is essential. If you decide to lock it to stay still as has been requested by the gen-CSS's, I beg of you, please allow an option for both fixed/rotating. I don't fancy having to figure out where cars are when then map is inverted or 90 degrees to my actual view.

I don´t agree! if the map standing still like in counter strike source, then find u faster u´r position in the map. I need the north of real street maps also on top if i drive in south-direction. Everybody is different, and it should be a setup-option.

PS set u´r LOD down and u have more FPS. My FPS have not changed. In the new Version is LOD1 maybe higher than in the Old Version because something is made better.
Hallo, after to install the s2 Alpha Patch W, i can't join in registred server, but i have acces onli to DEMO server...somebody know why?

Thx, and sorry to my enghlisch
Quote from danowat :Surely the simplest soloution would be to make the colours user-definable, like you have done with the UI, that way people can tune it to their preference, as I think it will be a VERY difficult task to please everyone with these colours.

I think that is the way yes after reading the wikipedia article and finding out there are different types as well as severities of colourblindness, it wouldn't be possible to please everyone. And the current colours are quite nice for people who can see all colours so I don't want to change the defaults much! Added to notes.

Quote from KurtG85 :Ya, I realize I havnt given it a full resuscitory attempt yet. I have become somewhat of a 'master' at maximazing performance from my system however and I am a bit worried as the performance hit seems pretty obvious. From only a couple sessions (and i know this is inconclusive) I thought I noticed that the cars were being rendered with more polygons from farther away. Before, quite literally, cars were made up of like 6 polygons until they were about 10 yards or so away. Now it seems that cars are near fully rendered much further away. Ive turned my lod all the way down.

As the higher number of polygons affects you so badly, I suspect your graphics card is something really old like a GeForce2 or similar, which cannot do Hardware Vertex Shading? If you can't switch on HVS (at bottom of the graphics options screen) then it's really too old now. The thing is that HVS is several years old now and you should be able to get a basic DirectX graphics card (a few years old model) for a few pounds from somewhere - if there's one thing you can do, that's it! And any one you can get will immediately give you high frame rates at high LOD levels.
Quote from fiestarlekin_99 :Hallo, after to install the s2 Alpha Patch W, i can't join in registred server, but i have acces onli to DEMO server...somebody know why?

Thx, and sorry to my enghlisch

One of the fixes was in the unlocking system, so some people need to unlock again.
But you get a new spare unlock every week (up to 2 spare) so don't worry, just unlock.
Quote from KurtG85 :Ya, I realize I havnt given it a full resuscitory attempt yet. I have become somewhat of a 'master' at maximazing performance from my system however and I am a bit worried as the performance hit seems pretty obvious. From only a couple sessions (and i know this is inconclusive) I thought I noticed that the cars were being rendered with more polygons from farther away. Before, quite literally, cars were made up of like 6 polygons until they were about 10 yards or so away. Now it seems that cars are near fully rendered much further away. Ive turned my lod all the way down.
Heres a run down of all the things I do to my computer to get lfs running at 30-45 fps so I dont get any of the following advice: all minimum textures, all shadows off, buffering off, simple everything, im running lfs in "high priority" mode, all other possible syst. and other programs are closed that can possibly be closed without the comp crashing, im running in 800x600 16bit mode (cant read text at any lower res), I use the 'crap cleaner' program everytime im done with an internet session, I defrag etc. quite often, i have all kinds of anti virus/spyware/adware programs which I run often to weed out crap, so I just thought id list those so i dont get any of that advice to try and speed things up.

tried disabling the sky? disabling the FPS limiter? running in full screen? all these things should help!
I noticed with the new patch that whenever there are many trees on screen (FE Gold) the gameplay isn't as smooth as it is on a relatively plain part of the track. I have a c2d 6300 with an x1900gt and I normally get from 60 fps (full field) to anything up to 160, so I wonder what this could be related to. I switched off Antivirus as well to eliminate anything that drains resources of my pc. This is not like stuttering or glitches, it just isn't so fluid.

any ideas or suggestions of what I should try? I am gonna give a try of disabling trees, currently I have everything at max, except for flags, which are disabled.
This thread is closed

S2 Alpha Patch W
(298 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG