The online racing simulator
This thread really ought to be stickied
Dito on the plus one.
+1

Unstick my Texture Database Thread if needed.
Quote : Unstick my Texture Database Thread if needed.

:eek::faint2::nol2:
Quote : Aston texture update is probably a couple days or so away from being ready

Yeah, right!?

Sorry 'bout that...

Anyway... recent progress shot- still some things left to do before release; I've decided to include more textures now than originally planned, especially grass textures (which there are actually quite a few of for Aston), still have to do the pits, gotta redo the old bridge, meh.. other stuff. Boring.

yadayadayada
Attached images
ingame2.jpg
you´re working very hard, i dont know what is the word...mmm but i´d like the parte of the curve (green like that pic and gratting on bl) was better.
Those look stunning! Can't wait to try them!
Thank you very much Electrik Kar, your textures makes LFS much more enjoyable
Whoa! This pack is really amusing, blackwood looks amazing now
few progress shots of Aston bridges. Unseen and I have been busy, but the work feels painfully slow. Having said that, the Aston update should be ready any day now
Attached images
b1.jpg
Untitled-6.jpg
b3.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg
:headbang::wow:, I´ll the first in download it.
Hell yeah, amazing, getting dangerously close to that iRacing's wallpaper track texturing!
nice work, ill be looking forward to testing them
Hi Electrik Kar,

very nice update.I didnt see the textures live yet but hopefully with my experience I can tell that the track texture looks very plastic especially on this picture.I mean it doesnt looks much like road/track surface.

http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=30955&d=1179882525

Maybe I am wrong...
Hmm.. I'm pretty sure it looks alright ingame. But you'll have to see for yourself.

I'll try to get a better screenshot of the road.
Attached images
road4.jpg
Looks fantastic!

Just one comment regarding the road: while it may look very road-like, it still lacks some "wear". Cracks, faint tyre marks and creases and so on. If that were added, it would be perfect.

http://media.iracing.com/downl ... ds_Irwindale_16001200.jpg
That's the sort of thing I mean, though that might be a tad excessive.
Only thing that is bad with these asphalt textures is that i need to crank up AA and AF but i can't give it more than 2X on my graphic card.. It looks crapy with 2X AA and AF... at least that Westhill first version, i know that you made an update to that but i haven't tried it yet..
Quote from axus : Looks fantastic!

Just one comment regarding the road: while it may look very road-like, it still lacks some "wear". Cracks, faint tyre marks and creases and so on. If that were added, it would be perfect.

http://media.iracing.com/downl ... ds_Irwindale_16001200.jpg
That's the sort of thing I mean, though that might be a tad excessive.

With the current texture mapping it's quite simply impossible to make the wear of the surface look realistic, and also the aligning of these things is a bitch, because the tiling amount varies too much, being more tiled in the corners and less on the straights, i guess the mapping is currently face mapped. I hope Scavier will do a better solution for texture mapping in near future, because atm It's kinda dull looking. Well i actually can't criticize their work simply because i don't know how to make it better. But i do know that just adding normal/bump/specular maps will only make the poor texture mapping less visible but it will still look basically the same. I wish we could edit the textures in a sort of straight-to-track way, i mean a little app. which would load up the entire map/track without textures and from there we could load up the different textures and place, align, resize the textures by hand for the entire track, i know it would be even more time consuming than now, but the end product would look MUCH better.
yes, i like to dream-a-lot
Quote from Electrik Kar :Hmm.. I'm pretty sure it looks alright ingame. But you'll have to see for yourself.

I'll try to get a better screenshot of the road.

That looks better but there is still missing something thought.I dont think you can do much about that because of the screwed mapping of textures in LFS.I think some pixel shaders effect(some not requireing a lot of GPU power)would definately help to loose the plastic effect.I hope you know what I mean.

To be honest I am very much suprised by your progress with these textures you made so far.Nice jump from the day we started talking about it and made 1st things.

I wish I had some time again to contribute as well but unfortunatelly I dont have any right now.
Quote :while it may look very road-like, it still lacks some "wear".

Axus- I looked at that screen before when Boris mentioned iRacing (why do all these titles have the capital letters around the wrong way?) and I immediately thought the same thing. You can tell that the iRacing road is lower res, but it looks more interesting because of the wear and cracks- definitely that is the thing missing with my road textures. The problem is I'm just too hesitant to get into that stuff (for now atleast) because it's enough of a pain just getting a simpler repeating texture looking decent. One funny spot or mark can send everything off, and anyone who delves into LFS texturing would know it's just so hard to edit these little things away until they look good, by going in and out of the game all the time. It just takes forever.

Devil007

Quote :That looks better but there is still missing something though

I think I know what you mean. I would say that the new road works better than the first attempt for Aston, but it's a constant challenge- trying to get something to look realistic inside a computer...

Quote :To be honest I am very much suprised by your progress with these textures you made so far.Nice jump from the day we started talking about it and made 1st things.

Haha I guess I'm sort of over it for now- I just can't understand why everything was so slow this time around. Seemed like anything that could go wrong did... I really need a break from this texture work for a bit..

(but I'm sure the bug will bite again soon enough).

Taavi-
Quote :
yes, i like to dream-a-lot

Hehe... I like to imagine a future LFS using some kindof John Carmackian non-repeating megatexture for the whole track. It would take an age to paint but the end result could be stunning.

Yes, I like to dream too.
yo Kar, any news on SO and Autox aswell? seems to have been put on the shelf and forgotten about,

A few pages ago a autox screenshot looked allmost completed but that was months ago now lol
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :yo Kar, any news on SO and Autox aswell? seems to have been put on the shelf and forgotten about,

A few pages ago a autox screenshot looked allmost completed but that was months ago now lol

AutoX/Skidpad/Drag is still happening, slowly. I`m just doing it inbetween other things. The road surfaces, main building, sign and adverts are done. The rest, all the really annoying little textures, I`m working on when I have the spare time. It certainly hasn`t been forgotten about.

I think we`re also going to wait to see what this upcoming official update to SO looks like before doing anything more with it. It just seems a bit silly to put in a load of extra work when it could all be changed sometime soon.
Quote from unseen :AutoX/Skidpad/Drag is still happening, slowly. I`m just doing it inbetween other things. The road surfaces, main building, sign and adverts are done. The rest, all the really annoying little textures, I`m working on when I have the spare time. It certainly hasn`t been forgotten about.

I think we`re also going to wait to see what this upcoming official update to SO looks like before doing anything more with it. It just seems a bit silly to put in a load of extra work when it could all be changed sometime soon.

Aye, ok cool.
You do know it`s still going to look low-res to you Jimmy, don`t ya?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG