The online racing simulator
No need to be sorry mate, you have already given us loads. ty for that btw. It would be nice to have an new fern bay, but don't sweat it dude . No point in putting time and effort into it if your enjoying working on other projects, learning new stuff.
Sorry to hear, but nothing to do with it, you got my support anyway

Just curious, how far is it from complete? Could you possible release what your current work is on Fernbay, because on the pictures posted before I really can`t see anything that ain`t looking done. The road looks good, and the outside of track to. I don`t really mind the curbes, just as long as the asphalt get`s an update

It`s your choise, and whatever you chose to do, your work and effort have made many happy people around.

Well, you can create textures with Zbrush aswell, even though it's alot better for texturing actual models such as characters and other organic objects. But take your time, it's better to wait until you feel like continuing this project than rush it.
Texturing with Zbrush is something I'm very curious about- the tools just seem wonderful for that. Mostly I'm interested in going beyond just colour mapping, though of course that's all pretty useless from a LFS modding perspective, atleast at this stage. It's just a general education thing (learning the program has been a lot of fun so far).

TVE- haha, of course it's possible to zip something up, but I'll want to work on a few elements before I do that. Can always come back to it at a later date as well. The other thing is, that I hear Doestrom(sp?) has also been working on a FB mod which he may be planning on releasing after patch Y sometime. That's the guy who did the previous FB mod- be interesting to see what he's been upto lately.

PS, thanks for all the support guys

edit: for fun here's some Zbrush stuff I've done in the past week or so (ears was the first thing I made).
Attached images
yeoldskull_backgroundsize.jpg
ear.jpg
Allright
I will stay tuned and see hows it going.
Better hope that Y-patch comes out soon
Bump

Literally

I just stumbled across a program which automatically generates normal and displacement maps from standard texture images, which you can then tweak around to get the results you're after. This is unbelievably cool. Here's a sample of some normal mapped curbs (hint, you won't get the full effect from a static capture, but trust me... it's awesome ).

edit: I've tried to give a couple of better examples. Note the shadows projecting from the left side of the raised white lines in the second shot, and then from the right as the light source is shifted from right to left.
Attached images
normal map.jpg
shadows.jpg
example.jpg
gravelnormalmapped1.jpg
gravelnormalmapped2.jpg
sonormalmap.jpg
pitdoorsnormalmap.jpg
Holy shit!
That looks awesome!
Now I really looking forward to see your next release.
Bloody hell.

That's a pretty impressive program and those textures look fantastic. Can't wait to see what you do with them
Sadly, you won't be able to see the effects of normal mapping until Scawen codes the support for it (he has to turn it on so to speak). From what I gather though it doesn't seem too difficult a task to get it up and running, perhaps even within the current Direct X version LFS utilises, but really I don't know. It of course may not be so easy.

I stayed up late all last night mucking around with this stuff, experimenting with different surfaces, and some of the results have been stunning. The realism, depth and detail you can coax out of a standard texture is just phenomenal. Of course, as I said- the full effect is noticeable when you pan a light source over the texture, then the thing really comes alive. I can imagine normal mapping becoming an important consideration if dynamic weather/time of day is ever implemented into LFS. That would really be something indeed.

below: some blackwood curbs with normal mapping.

edit: another example (tarpaulin barrier), and another mapping technique, this time displacement mapping. This texture has both normal and displacement mapping applied, though here I've turned off the colour info. The program I'm using doesn't seem to detect harder 3D edges so well, but I've found this technique works nicely for folded, clothy materials.

Notice the shadow projecting from the flared base of the barrier. A fairly extreme fake 3D effect.

edit 2: a metallic texture w/ displacement mapping (needs some work in the dented area around the rivets, but I guess that's a colour map issue now)
Attached images
blcurbnormal.jpg
tarpdisplacement.jpg
whbarriernorm.jpg
barrier2.jpg
That's really really impressive!

Hey, by the way, thanks for all your effort so far! The textures are just great
No problems, and thanks

quick edit: Fern Bay cliff face with normal and displacement maps, + some random experiments.

(for comparison, here's my original higher res texture, without added normal and displacement mapping. Makes quite a difference, doesn't it?)
Attached images
fbcliffnorm.jpg
random4.jpg
random3.jpg
random.jpg
random5.jpg
ran8.jpg
ran6.jpg
ran7.jpg
Jeeez, those curbs can't look anymore realistic now, can they?! Impressive!
That looks great, mr. Kar

Keep up the good work!
Some different reference/texture shots I've taken around Istanbul. First two are normal/displacement mapped, the last one is just normal mapped. Check out the popping bricks in that first shot!

Guess I better stop with these kind of posts, as they don't really apply to LFS.

I'm just so excited, and I just can't hide it... danananana
Attached images
istanbul pics1.jpg
istanbul3.jpg
istanbul2.jpg
That just looks so good and I hope that one day it will be possible to use them in the game.
I've been using your textures for a while now, and they make LFS look so much better. Thanks very much for putting so much work and effort in to a really great project.

I also would wish that it was possible to use that kind of detailed textures in game. The closest we get is to use full AA and AF, all filtering and bling-bling options on the graphic card and High-res textures
is normal mapping one of those things that could be switched on and off to increase performance?
Should be the case.

In BF2, the vehicles are normal mapped when you select the highest lighting setting. On medium settings, normal maps are deactivated.
Those look fantastic, hl2ep2 quality rock graphics.

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicked.
Apparently Splash Damage have used this very same program (Crazy Bump) to create the normal maps for their mountain textures in ETQW.

quick edit: some Aston curbs
Attached images
aston.jpg
curbsbiggerbump.jpg
As I say to all your work - damn it`s nice! Wish there was any possibility to get those kind of textures (maping) in the game, as you mentioned in the other topic.
Those look absolutely fantastic! Do you reckon you could test normal maps out on a tree? I'd really like to see nice trees in LFS - it lacks seriously in that department. Would this help much?
Kar, do you do this for a living too? If you don't, you should
Quote from hrtburnout :Kar, do you do this for a living too? If you don't, you should

I think that`s the dream for those of us that do spend all day working on this stuff, and hopefully EK can get to do it properly somewhere that will appreciate his talents someday.
Erik-

No I'm not employed anywhere at the moment. I am trying to work up a decent portfolio though, and I'll be studying Multimedia next year at Uni and then maybe further studies in game design if I haven't found a job by then, or look for an internship somewhere.

Axus- I'll see what I can do with some trees...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG