The online racing simulator
Higher-Res Track Textures Volume I - by Electrik Kar
NEW! LFS - Higher Resolution Track Textures - Electrik Kar / unseen

Ver 1.1 is finally ready (22/08/08)

This pack covers the Aston, Blackwood, Kyoto and Westhill tracks.

We`ve tried to improve on our last pack. Although you may not notice it straight away, you`ll find a lot of improvements in the overall look of the tracks. Many of the older textures have been tweaked where we weren`t totally happy with them, and we`ve also worked on the newer textures added in the later Y test patches and the full patch Z.

Please read the included readme.txt for installation instructions.

Full pack Download (136.1 MB)

Demo (Blackwood only) Download (43.1 MB)

Happy Racing! :checkered

Additional downloads

LFS Scenic Wallpaper/Promotion Pack

LFS Big Icons Pack
#2 - kirmy
nice work, just hope you make really good textures for all tracks, keep it coming
#3 - kirmy
when are you going to release westhill and fern bay, not just south city and kyoto and how are they going?
Quote from kirmy :when are you going to release westhill and fern bay, not just south city and kyoto and how are they going?

u know that this stuff is pretty time intense?
and that he *maybe* has a RL too? be patient, im sure hes doing it as fast as possible
Quote :when are you going to release westhill and fern bay, not just south city and kyoto and how are they going?

Quote :u know that this stuff is pretty time intense?
and that he *maybe* has a RL too? be patient, im sure hes doing it as fast as possible

Rest assured, I'm still working on Kyoto and South City- but RCGBoosted is right, this stuff takes time! But he's also wrong (), because at the moment I don't really have a 'RL', as most of my time is being spent working on these textures! It's become a real pet project, and a bit of an obsession I must admit - scouring the urban landscape, hunting for the ideal shot for this or that texture, and staying up late (frazzled) trying to get some detail just right. I don't have any kind of real job at the moment, so I guess this is a kind of a surrogate, a way to feel productive. And sure, there are other things I could be doing- like writing music, learning the Kanun (a Turkish stringed instrument), and there are things I should be doing, like taking care of the house and supporting my GF, and getting a real job! But in my (fortunately plentiful) spare time, I tend to just get on with texture work, because it's fun and I've realized there's a lot of community support for these textures (nearly 2000 downloads in 2 days(!?) which I'm thankful for! ). So, I'm still at it- but it is taking time, and it will take a lot of time and work to get all the tracks done. Hope I don't run out of steam before then
I would just like to thank you Mr Electrik Kar, you textures are top notch mate, looking forward to South City and Kyoto.
#7 - joen
Take your time Electrik, you take pride in your work and the results are proof of that
Thanks for your work, I'm sure Kyoto and SO are going to be great
Progress shot of the curb for KY Nat'.

edit: I'm unsure which materials I'm supposed to be using here..
Attached images
KYcurb.jpg
You have talent man.

Looks good. Keep em coming!
Quote from Electrik Kar :Progress shot of the curb for KY Nat'.

edit: I'm unsure which materials I'm supposed to be using here..

Nice work, but they look to bright and clean imo.
To be honest, i liked these better
your work is amazing mate, details like this make the differences between real life and the game very small!

on another note i prefer the green and red kerbs to the ones you have made with the spots on them. Although both are good
Quote : on another note i prefer the green and red kerbs to the ones you have made with the spots on them. Although both are good

Do you guys mean the other ones are better quality wise, or that you just prefer them aesthetically? There are two curb sets for KY- one for KY National (red and black spots), and another for KY Long (the green, white and red curbs). What I really want is to get a sense of whether the material of these KY National curbs seems plausible/realistic. The original texture is a bit ambiguous to me- the surface gives the impression it's a bit rubbery or something, and you can see creases in it which suggests there's a kind of cloth laid over something. I'm not in the habit of showing up to racing events- maybe it would be cool to hear from someone in the know on this.

Here's a couple more static screens (sunny), an action shot (afternoon), and the original texture. TBO, I'm quite happy with the way they look- especially in the sun where there's a beautiful reflective effect on the parts where Eric's mapped brighter light. I just want to know whether they look realistic or not.
Attached images
KYNATcurb2.jpg
KYNATcurb3.jpg
KYNATactionshot.jpg
HGA_curb42_b3.jpg
Those don't look like any curbs I've ever seen. Sorry, but I'm not a fan at all and much prefer your other work.

But speaking of curbs, I've got fixes for the curbs at Blackwood, South City, and (I think) Aston. PM me your email address and I can send you the files if you'd like. Making the stripes longer makes a HUGE difference, IMO. I wanted to make the curbs longer, but the mapping problems make them look messy, so I settled on making them twice as long as the ones in your custom textures.
#14 - axus
Do those look like cloth laid over curb and glued down? Sure, they do look very convincing of that. I'm not sure that cloth is something that would be used on a track curb though. I much prefer the look you went for with the Blackwood/South City curbs. These do look like they're lit for a different purpose, I hope you can find a look that suits them.
Well I like them they are "different"
I think you should go more "hastly painted before the next race starts", as that is what I see in those original curbs...
#17 - axus
Quote from bbman :I think you should go more "hastly painted before the next race starts", as that is what I see in those original curbs...

Agreed, it looks like hastily painted concrete to me. And the paint has cracked from the many moons passed.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll see what I can come up with.
Just wanted to report in and say Kyoto's almost done. Just a few more ads and some minor touches here and there to go. After Kyoto, I'll work on wrapping up South City. After that I guess I better choose another track! lol.

Progress shot(s) of Kyoto below..
Attached images
kyoto1.jpg
lfs_00000002.jpg
Very nice

How about Westhill next?
2nd shot has a beautiful background
#22 - axus
Very nice indeed! Can we please have an up-close view of the latest kerbs (assuming you've changed them in some way)?
EDIT: Perhaps a bit of an Aston update next? I think Aston's grass and kerb textures could be much better if they are more like your newer work. Plus I should think that Westhill will be receiving a bit of a make-over with the next incompatible patch which can't be too far away now... so perhaps it's best to leave that in case there are many changes.
I agree that Aston needs to come up to par with the newer stuff. Specifically (as you say) the curbs need work (I have some new photos to try out for Aston sometime)... just a general improvement in quality is needed.

I'll post some shots of the KY Nat curbs when I have the chance (I'm at my girlfriends mums place atm). They've definately lost that clothy look. I've also got a nice screenshot of the road texture which I can't wait to upload. Looks really nice.

Re: updates. I have no idea. It was assumed there would be a KY and Fern Bay update coming, but there's been no official word. There haven't been any graphical updates since I've been involved with LFS; there must be something coming. Scawen said he's been working on incompatible stuff, I guess there'll be a bunch of graphics improvemenets to go along with the next big patch.
Ok, a couple new shots. First off, KY Nat curbs. I haven't changed much here, basically just got rid of the cloth overlay (and tiny adjustments). I'm pleased with it but you guys might think otherwise . The other shot I really like, the lighting, composition, and detail in the road. I love this corner, going into the left-hand bend- I think you almost experience a real-life HDR effect here because you're turning into the sun, and your eyes actually adjust slightly to the light. Great stuff.
Attached images
kyscenic7.jpg
kyscenic1.jpg
I wanna be the beta tester

Nice work anyway, wish i had a good idea to mod westhill into something wicked, but i don't.

Higher-Res Track Textures Volume I - by Electrik Kar
(423 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG