The online racing simulator
What's with the announcement?
(280 posts, closed, started )
Quote from keiran :http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=191761#post191761

I think you'd be seriously pissed off if someone went and cost you 12gbs of traffic all for some stinky graph that tried to work out how much money you were earning... I'll be frank and say I don't know how much 12gbs costs as I don't use that sort of volume but it's still traffic wasted that could have been doing stats.

Fact is Phlos continues to prove the point he can't be trusted or follow the rules and morals set out. It's his own bloody fault for being banned and quite frankly if I were the devs I'd be banning him from the master server as well. Maybe even plan a holiday to France

I just pitty them people who use his program that if I remember correctly you had to enter your LFS account details... He may well have himself a nice database of peoples login details.

Keiran

The license stat script should not have made against the devs wishes, I agree.

Perhaps Phlos' actions are unforgivable to most and I don't expect he will ever be an accepted part of this community again, which he has, mostly, brought on himself.

With regards to the username / password boxes in his program, LFS manager, they are not their anymore, and on the version where they were present I don't believe they actually did anything.

I think the original purpose was so that the 5 second LFSW tarpit could be overwridden if you had credits in your account, but the it wasn't included (or coded, not sure) and he simply left them in the gui temporarily.

I seem to be putting this at the bottom of every post, but please no one take this as me excusing his actions with regards to hacking the forum.

Josh
There should be Action taken against him, Devs just lose working time that they could have spent on the Sim without this kind of crap.
Quote from Jakg :the passwords are encrypted, the bank details are somewhere else, but i understand

i think there are exploits for the latest vB, but they are just "still hidden" - im sure Phlos is reading a guide rather than making this up himself

I DO understand what you mean, i just think that to aportion any blame to Scavier for ignoring Phlos is a little rich under the circumstances o what Phlos has done

If passwords can be retrieved, they can either be decrypted or are stored in plain text somewhere.
this is fantastic, and funny as hell.
Quote from joshdifabio :If passwords can be retrieved, they can either be decrypted or are stored in plain text somewhere.

Fairly sure vB just sends a new password to your email address.
Quote from ajp71 :Fairly sure vB just sends a new password to your email address.

What if he has ****ed up all the email addresses?
If you go to liveforspeed.net and use the password retrieval, it will send your current web password to you.
Quote from duke_toaster :What if he has ****ed up all the email addresses?

I am sure if anything has happened it will be sorted out soon =)
I can imagine Phlos reading this thread with a big grin on his face.
Attention, however negative, is the true reward for a hacker.
Quote from wsinda :I can imagine Phlos reading this thread with a big grin on his face.
Attention, however negative, is the true reward for a hacker.

WoW 32 pages of posts all about Phlos? Stop feeding the attention seeker and it will go away quicker.
ShannonN
#236 - Don
Quote from AndroidXP :Actually... that's quite a possibility. As far as I can remember KiD got banned for posting a link to a site that would steal LFS account information, but he messed up when he tried to blame it on Phlos.

wtf?!?! either i have never heard about this, or you are wrong. AFAIK he just posted link to the WIP official lfs shop. thats all.
Nahh he did post text along the lines of "Hmm.. Phlos?".

However, the sociopathological behaviour of the person doing this crap last night fits very much with Phlos. Not that I'm an expert, I just mean that the person who did what he did last night clearly has no capacity to determine right and wrong - ergo sociopath (formerly termed "psychopath"). KiD definitely knows right from wrong, but made some bad judgement calls, IMO. It wasn't KiD.
O/T: I always liked KiD. I don't know what sort of headaches he created to get himself banned, and I don't really want to know, but his contributions were for the most part interesting to read and written in a unique style and I miss them a bit.
Thanks for confirming that Phlos is a psychopath, Sam.
I think we should not take this lightly as Phlos is likely to return and next time he probably will do some serious damage. Even with this stunt he did damage, costing the DEV's time and nerves. Not to mention he updated that LFS licences page again (Last updated : 02.12.07). Still just revealing security faults huh? illepall

It's a long shot but at least we should figure out if legal action is possible. He is not in some country like China where the laws fit on only one page. I'm sure someone here is a lawyer or knows one that could give some advice.

We could also go after his web pages...but that would be wrong right...right?
Hackers are just a drag on an economy. Phlos shouldn't be allowed to touch a PC till the age of 21 at least.
Quote from duke_toaster :Thanks for confirming that Phlos is a psychopath, Sam.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not name-calling. If you look at Phlos's attitude and behaviour towards the LFS community - he sees nothing wrong in what he did last night.. it was all "just for fun", and compare that to the typical antisocial behavioural patterns of sociopaths, it's quite clear at least to me that his problems are sociopathological.

Quote from thisnameistaken :O/T: I always liked KiD. I don't know what sort of headaches he created to get himself banned, and I don't really want to know, but his contributions were for the most part interesting to read and written in a unique style and I miss them a bit.

While we're at it, I'll just say that I also always liked KiD. I don't/didn't know him as well as most, but I appreciated his veracity, even if sometimes it landed with toe-curling consequences. I was sad when he was banned, but I absolutely concur with the decision. I was just sad that he'd done what he'd done to force it.
Will we get some kind of announcement to let us know everything's under control, or maybe some kind of action is being taken? Reassure the customers!
Mods are back in action
Quote from MR_B :Will we get some kind of announcement to let us know everything's under control, or maybe some kind of action is being taken? Reassure the customers!

Well, Scawen closed a thread and the Frenchman has been banned so... and yes, mods are back in business, everything seems to be under control, there's nothing to see here.
Quote from SamH :Nahh he did post text along the lines of "Hmm.. Phlos?".

However, the sociopathological behaviour of the person doing this crap last night fits very much with Phlos. Not that I'm an expert, I just mean that the person who did what he did last night clearly has no capacity to determine right and wrong - ergo sociopath (formerly termed "psychopath"). KiD definitely knows right from wrong, but made some bad judgement calls, IMO. It wasn't KiD.

I guarantee, that this attack was done by poor human mind phlos, who isnt a hacker btw. but just executing a well known and documented hole in vb (thx to the guy, who just told me that ). That's like starting up LFS and calling himself coder.

kidcodea has absolutely nothing to do with phlos, except that phlos always is good to laugh at.
Edit: And Kid posted an open link without any protection, hiding or whatever. It was the WIP page of LFS Shop. Nothing more to add to that.
Quote from MR_B :Will we get some kind of announcement to let us know everything's under control, or maybe some kind of action is being taken? Reassure the customers!

No data is stolen or so and as far as I can tell nothing has been changed either. It's under control.

I'll be upgrading the forum later today to close this hole. Yes I should have done this before - there's little excuse for that.
Quote from Victor :No data is stolen or so and as far as I can tell nothing has been changed either. It's under control.

*supermassive sigh of relief*
I just trimmed some excess fat from this thread, if anyone's wondering why it's suddenly 2 pages shorter.
This thread is closed

What's with the announcement?
(280 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG