The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Well, tbh I have no interest in venturing into anything other than the Rookie Legends. For me, ovals are a nice form of relaxation where I don't have to practice more than 10 minutes to be competitive, but I've heard my share of war stories from oval races
Quote from Jertje :Well, tbh I have no interest in venturing into anything other than the Rookie Legends. For me, ovals are a nice form of relaxation where I don't have to practice more than 10 minutes to be competitive, but I've heard my share of war stories from oval races

I get a kick out of everybody saying Oval races are easy. To run "really good", "long" oval races it is not an easy thing. Sure you can put in laps and be on the same times as everyone else.. But to race door to door for lap after lap it takes a great deal of skill and patience.
yes, it's a bit stressful, especially in the trucks. should i buy milwaukee? i am not sure if i'm gonna race this week or just wait for phoenix
I don't know really... I don't think that running fast is hard in the Rookie Legends. I find that those races are more based on experience; things like saving the tyres, running higher lines without losing (much) speed and good starts take some time to learn, and I suck at all of those. The actual driving really doesn't take that much skill though. Sure, getting from 16.1 to 16.0 at Lanier requires a ton of practice and dicking around, but it's not as unreachable as the extreme times on road-courses.

Maybe it's very different in the more difficult cars, but I don't think I'll ever spend the cash on those. I can always just keep doing rookie legends to inflate my iRating as I get better, for a solid combined rating of 6000+ or whatever
For some reason I just can't get the right line on this week's Legend advanced.
Quote from StableX :For some reason I just can't get the right line on this week's Legend advanced.

It's because your too fat to fit at the bottom of the track
Quote from Toddshooter :It's because your too fat to fit at the bottom of the track

It's not fat! I tried to use one of your chins as a cushion

======================

Breaking News!!!!

Quote :We thought about hiring a cheesy game-show host to help us announce the new iRacing Prize Payout Program, imagining some hair-sprayed, leisure-suit-clad character from 1970s daytime television exclaiming: “It’s a brand new car!” to the applause of the studio audience and everyone playing along at home.

For some reason, that idea didn’t win unanimous approval here at iRacing HQ.
Nevertheless, as of now, iRacers are running for more than just bragging rights, and champions can, in fact, win a brand new car.

Okay, so we’re not actually planning on shipping out several hundred new Pontiac Solstices. But 2008 Season 4 Championship winners, including titlists in every non-Rookie series and every Division, will earn $15 in iRacing Credits – enough to add any one of our racing vehicles to your collection.

The details of the program are as follows: At the conclusion of this season, Overall and Divisional Race Champions from each series – except Rookie and Advanced Rookie series – will receive $15 dollars in iRacing Credits, while second and third place finishers will receive credits worth $10 and $5 each, respectively. Meanwhile, 2008 Season 4 Time Trial Champions (overall and in each division) in each series – except Rookie and Advanced Rookie series – will receive $10 in iRacing Credits.

Rookie license holders with a 4.0 or higher Safety Rating who “race up” in Class D series are eligible for prizes, and all drivers can win multiple awards, both within a single series (such as a driver who takes second overall and wins his or her division in the same series) and across multiple series. Rookie and Advanced Rookie series have been excluded from the program to maintain their educational emphasis.

In total, iRacing will be awarding more than $4,000 in credits as part of the prize payout program this season. While adding some excitement to the competition side of our service, the new awards program is also intended as a test in preparation for an iRacing Pro Series, which has been the subject of much discussion in the forums and is scheduled to launch in 2009.

In addition to winning iRacing Credits, top-finishing iRacers will again receive award certificates commemorating their season-long individual and club performances, as was the case last season. And a new certificate is being added to the iRacing Recognition Program: the First Win Award. We’ll be keeping track of all race results and creating awards for any member who scores his or her first win. All iRacing members – including Rookies – are eligible. Drivers can earn a maximum of two First Win Awards, one for each category, Oval and Road.

If you’re already a race winner and wish to receive your pdf award, please email us at Awards@iRacing.com. We’ll be happy to confirm the details of your victory and commemorate it with a customized certificate.

Quote from Jertje :I don't know really... I don't think that running fast is hard in the Rookie Legends. I find that those races are more based on experience; things like saving the tyres, running higher lines without losing (much) speed and good starts take some time to learn, and I suck at all of those. The actual driving really doesn't take that much skill though. Sure, getting from 16.1 to 16.0 at Lanier requires a ton of practice and dicking around, but it's not as unreachable as the extreme times on road-courses.

Maybe it's very different in the more difficult cars, but I don't think I'll ever spend the cash on those. I can always just keep doing rookie legends to inflate my iRating as I get better, for a solid combined rating of 6000+ or whatever

I agree. I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I hopped in the legend races on week 13 to raise my SR. I was still winning races.

Late model I was pretty far off the pace because I wasn't driving into the corners...I was lifting before I turned in (lol road course). Once I saw a vid that showed the gas pedals...I qualified pole and won the race. I raced some more with good results...and then got thrown in the alien field and got dead last...very disheartening.
in b4 everyone sandbags and I win all Div 1 awards!
ROFL.... I am hoping to win something this season or at the least a podium!
Well, I just had the strangest race ever. I basically did a TT just before the race to get an idea about the circuit - my main point was to get my SR up to be able to race the radicals. I was thinking about sandbagging myself as well, some extra 15$ wouldn't hurt in the long process.

Anyhoo, I started 13th, dead last, on the grid with one simple goal in mind. No incidents whatsoever. After 1st lap I was 7th, after 8 laps I was 4th and I finished 2nd . I did not even pass anyone on the track, everyone just spun off. Even on the early stages of the race I let one driver pass me by giving room into T1 and even he spun off later in the race. I just cruised through the race like mother theresa on valium. There went my sandbagging as well. 158points for driving like a sheep! SOF was 2769 so it was't just a bunch of nubs either. Crazy.
Quote from Hyperactive :Anyhoo, I started 13th, dead last, on the grid with one simple goal in mind. No incidents whatsoever. After 1st lap I was 7th, after 8 laps I was 4th and I finished 2nd . I did not even pass anyone on the track, everyone just spun off.

I think I was in that race. I saw your comments after the race about starting last and finished second..
But not everybody spun, some got pushed off by others - and sadly I was one of them!..
#3 in that race had 16 Inc. in one race. There are a lot of bad drivers in iRacing...
Quote from richard dk :I think I was in that race. I saw your comments after the race about starting last and finished second..
But not everybody spun, some got pushed off by others - and sadly I was one of them!..
#3 in that race had 16 Inc. in one race. There are a lot of bad drivers in iRacing...

Imho, racing simply lacks in telling the drivers what's ok and what's not, sometimes even a simple rejoining the track is just plain dangerous:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aiOiLpno170&fmt=18
(And that happened twice in the race)

It's all good intentions but some just have no idea what's the racing etiquette is...
A guy like him should be punished a lot harder. It`s very stupid to do it in that way..
He should know it`s not ok to rejoin the track in that way...
Quote from Hyperactive :
Anyhoo, I started 13th, dead last, on the grid with one simple goal in mind. No incidents whatsoever. After 1st lap I was 7th, after 8 laps I was 4th and I finished 2nd . I did not even pass anyone on the track, everyone just spun off. Even on the early stages of the race I let one driver pass me by giving room into T1 and even he spun off later in the race. I just cruised through the race like mother theresa on valium.

This is exactly what has been happening to me in my last few skippy races! Last skippy season (only ran one week) I kept getting grouped with the likes of Prather and Ross MacGregor, etc., and had no one to actually race against. I figured I'd take it easy the first two weeks this time, start from the back, lose some iRating and get bumped down to Div 2... Not a chance! Last two races at VIR I started from the back, took it slow, had 0 incidents, gained like 10 positions without actually making a pass, and now my iRating is almost over 3000. Damn it!
Quote from richard dk :I think I was in that race. I saw your comments after the race about starting last and finished second..

Now that I think about it I believe I was in that race too.
Quote from Hyperactive :Imho, racing simply lacks in telling the drivers what's ok and what's not, sometimes even a simple rejoining the track is just plain dangerous:

It's all good intentions but some just have no idea what's the racing etiquette is...

What the hell is up with the movement of the car that's hit?
Quote from Hyperactive :Imho, racing simply lacks in telling the drivers what's ok and what's not, sometimes even a simple rejoining the track is just plain dangerous:

protest that...he came into the middle of the track and stopped. Even if he was just going back on track he didn't check f3 first to make sure it was clear.
As you cant really tell how good the graphics are from videos, I was just wondering are the graphics as good as those in LFS or better or worse?
way better
I don't think I'll protest it. The guy actually followed behind me for the rest of the race even if I was driving a very damaged car. He also said sorry after the race and seemed to mean it so... and I didn't even lose positions, only sr took some hit but that's it. Now when I'm watching that vid I'm kinda almost laughing, the car just jumps from nowhere right in front of me in true surprising fashion
Quote from G!NhO :way better

I wouldn't say they are waaaaay better, but there is definitely something about the iRacing graphics that make LFS start to show it's age. When I go back to LFS these days, I'm noticing that everything on screen seems to "sparkle" a little, like everything is too sharp. I don't remember if I have any hi-res LFS textures installed though...

iRacing, despite the "haze" option in LFS, seems to represent atmospheric perspective a little better. The iRacing colors, IMO, are a little too saturated but that can be tuned out with your screen.
Quote from Hyperactive :I don't think I'll protest it. The guy actually followed behind me for the rest of the race even if I was driving a very damaged car. He also said sorry after the race and seemed to mean it so... and I didn't even lose positions, only sr took some hit but that's it. Now when I'm watching that vid I'm kinda almost laughing, the car just jumps from nowhere right in front of me in true surprising fashion

lol yeah I've never protested anyone before either.

From the video it looked pretty deliberate lol
You should definitely protest that. It doesn't mean that the driver in question gets punished, it just means that he gets a heads up from one of the iRacing staff members that he really needs to watch his track behaviour. If anything it'll just decrease the chance of him acting in the same manner again, even if it was unintended
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG