The online racing simulator
Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
Been having a LOT of fun so far.

Thoughts....

It's VERY like Oblivion to me, which is a good thing, massive place to explore, so far I have skewed off the main story, have explored Springvale school, and have decided I am not going to blow megaton up just yet, at least untill I have completed all the available quests.

ATM, I have just completed a side quest for Miora, by finding some med supplies and food in a local supermarket.

I am LOVING the V.A.T.S system, when you score a good hit, I love the slo-mo's.

I am just wondering on the difficultly level, because ATM, health, ammo, guns, explosives etc etc etc seem in great supply, I wonder if things get harder further on in......because it seems a bit of a cake walk ATM.

Definately a must buy for those who like/d fallout, oblivion or any free-form RPG's.
Quote from danowat :

Got it yesterday and I've pretty much done exactly the same. I find this is a bit too easy starting out. Fun to see mods already being released - the one that makes the dialog selection box a bit bigger is really handy.
I take back what i said about it being hard. I've found a few good weapons and items, and it's getting really easy.

I pretty much ignore the main quest aswell so far. Having lots of fun with just wandering around in the wasteland, find stuff, explore old shelters, etc.

And about the bomb in Megaton... if you have the ability to disarm it/blow it up, make a savegame, and blow it up! Trust me, even if it's just to see it and then load the savegame again... it's worth it (total eyecandy)!

I'm starting to really like this game!
I really enjoyed Oblivion, and until this week had never played a Fallout game...but I am enjoying this so far!
Just about to restart the game from scratch..I was in a bit of a hurry first time around and didn't select the best skillz and stuff...a few hours gameplay has shown what was lacking, and rather than struggle later on, I think it is best to get my character buffed up sooner rather than later

o/t (slightly!)
Has anybody else got the Call of Duty 5 Beta? Had a quick look and the maps are AWESOME! Only three maps, but they cane the arse off the last CoD maps!
Also, seems like they got the WW2 settings a bit better as far as firepower/weapons are concerned...some good, some not so good...but it IS only a beta after all!
I love it, even if I do walk into fights every minute. Maybe it's me, but I feel connected with my FO3 char.

But.......What happens if you DO blow the nuke...? I want to wipe out the Megaton cult...I am gonna test it later

I love the humour in it too, especially Three Dog
#81 - Gunn
Almost level 10 now, and going into situations where I clearly don't belong.... but surviving and thriving. If you want a hard challenge, cross the river into the main city areas.

Great game. Despite some similarities to Oblivion, it's a totally different vibe.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :But.......What happens if you DO blow the nuke...? I want to wipe out the Megaton cult...I am gonna test it later

I love the humour in it too, especially Three Dog

I think essentially you get the same things.......(spoiler below)

A house, some XP, and some money, however, doing the good deed gives you karma, doing the bad deed takes it away.

I am unsure what I am going to do, I think I'll see how it goes before I decide which way to go!
Quote from danowat :I am just wondering on the difficultly level, because ATM, health, ammo, guns, explosives etc etc etc seem in great supply, I wonder if things get harder further on in......because it seems a bit of a cake walk ATM.

From what I've heard it's suffering quite a bit of consolitis, as in the interface could be better/more configurable and the fights are a piece of cake for anyone who doesn't suck at FPS (which by default excludes everyone using a console (-controller)).
Yeah, the UI is a bit on the consolish side - just like the stock one on Oblivion was. However, there are mods on http://www.fallout3nexus.com that make it make sense on a PC (smaller fonts, less line height etc).

Fights are indeed pretty easy at first, especially if you're sneaky. But all in all you don't HAVE to fight everyone and since it's an open gameworld you can usually carry the fight to somewhere that you're at an advantage.

One change I like to the way the NPCs react to combat situations (unavoidably in comparison to Oblvion) is that they seem to flee more often and sometimes they do so when you take out someone from their faction. In several occassions I've seen raiders panic, while they haven't taken any damage, when I blow someone's head off with a sneak attack.
WooHOoo!!! The VATS system is TEH K00L!!!!
Wanted to disable somebody without killing them..and used the VATS to specifically target the legs....
Pressed the 'go for it' key after lining up my options...and then the slo-mo footage of me blowing this guys legs apart was brilliant!!!
Ultra gore.../me loves it!!!!!

(Unfortunately the guy died anyway...must have died of shock caused by seeing his leg fly off as he fell to the floor )
Amazing what game-logic does to people's reasoning:

"I don't wanna kill him, so I'll blow his legs off instead - hopefully they won't have coded bleeding-to-death in there and he'll make it."

The only way to disable someone without killing them I found was punching them out. But that either takes a lucky roll or a high strength and hand-to-hand rating.
omfg.. reading bethesda forums

Seems that the popular power armor is totally screwed in FO3. Fully repaired and only 40 def. ? and some wrote that they had combat armor with 36 def.
WHY the hell would they cap the def. rate at 40 with the power armor? Is this a dirty troll smelling thread or has someone found a better armor?

Same goes with weapons; pretty much its all the same what you shoot with or get shot with.. Do difference in energy weapons or bullets.
Quote from Bladerunner :WooHOoo!!! The VATS system is TEH K00L!!!!
Wanted to disable somebody without killing them..and used the VATS to specifically target the legs....
Pressed the 'go for it' key after lining up my options...and then the slo-mo footage of me blowing this guys legs apart was brilliant!!!
Ultra gore.../me loves it!!!!!

(Unfortunately the guy died anyway...must have died of shock caused by seeing his leg fly off as he fell to the floor )

Bladey, does it remind you of a Tarantino film?

Hehe, I love the VATS, it makes the game, I love lining somebody up, and blowing 'em apart
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Bladey, does it remind you of a Tarantino film?

Hehe, I love the VATS, it makes the game, I love lining somebody up, and blowing 'em apart

Yep...very much Tarantino-ish!

Just got pwned by a Super Mutant with a rocket launcher...In glorious Slo-Mo I saw my leg go one way, my arm go another way, and my torso going in yet a third direction...lots of lovely ketchup as well!
Hehehehehehehehehehehe

Do /not/ go near DC when you're a low level/don't have a few allies around

Hmm, does the BB gun you pick up at the start of the game....serve any actual PURPOSE? It doesn't seem to kill the Vault guards, as opposed to the pistol that rips through 'em
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Hehehehehehehehehehehe

Do /not/ go near DC when you're a low level/don't have a few allies around

Hmm, does the BB gun you pick up at the start of the game....serve any actual PURPOSE? It doesn't seem to kill the Vault guards, as opposed to the pistol that rips through 'em

Allies?? You getz ALLIES??? wow, sounds good!
Just made it as far as the town where you have to deliver the letter.... and discovered the rapid transport system...zapping from one place to another as long as you have already been there... Certainly saves all the trolling through wastelands and getting blasted before you get to wherever you need to go!

BB Gun? Sold mine as soon as I got the chance...but I dont know if there is a Schematic later in the game that might let you upgrade it to a mega-hyper kill weapon. Knowing my luck there prolly is!

Off for another few hours playing...got to go check out a minefield for the tart in the shop
Remember Dogmeat? He's back But....getting to him is tricky o.O

I prefer Jericho anyway...

Dogmeat is near the minefield, south of the playground IIRC
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Remember Dogmeat? He's back But....getting to him is tricky o.O

I prefer Jericho anyway...

Dogmeat is near the minefield, south of the playground IIRC

I cant get Jericho...I'm a goody-goody
Is there a way to view your karma or not? I want to know what mine is. I know it's evil, I'm wondering HOW evil
#95 - Gunn
To improve your karma, give the old guy outside Megaton some good water.
Potential spoiler alert.......

In the 3rd "Moira" mission, I go to "Minefield", now, in minefield there is a guy called Arkansas who has a sniper rifle, I don't want to kill him, because I am aware he is important for another mission, however, I would like his sniper rifle!!!.

I shoot the rifle from his hands but this creates 2 problems, firstly, the rifle falls from the roof and I can't find it, secondly, he decideds to bum rush me with a lead pipe.

So my questions are, is it worth bothering to keep him alive, and if so, how can I find the bloody rifle when it falls from the roof, and how can I disable him if he decides to bum rush me with his lead pipe.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Is there a way to view your karma or not? I want to know what mine is. I know it's evil, I'm wondering HOW evil

Check your pip-boy, boy. It won't have a karma point reading, however it has an alignment title.

Quote from DieKolkrabe :Hmm, does the BB gun you pick up at the start of the game....serve any actual PURPOSE? It doesn't seem to kill the Vault guards, as opposed to the pistol that rips through 'em

It's good for blowing up mines and not losing any useful ammo.

Only nag I have so far is again relevant to difficulty. My character is level 5 now, and due to finding it all way too easy previously I've set the difficulty slider to "very hard", however he still managed to take out a whole squad of power-armored militant types that got on his nerves (including one guy with a gatling lazer, which is pretty damn impressive in action) dug into a bunker they called Fort Independence, off by Fairfax - not to mention he's practically swimming in ammo, stimpacks and antirad meds. And he isn't even a combat-oriented character - all his skills and attributes are oriented towards being a sneaky science-savvy handyman. I guess/hope some survival-oriented mod in the future will remedy this.

@danowat - punch him out, that's your only disabling option (unless there's some sort of stunner/zapper weapon which I haven't seen), anything else will likely kill him.
Quote from xaotik :
It's good for blowing up mines and not losing any useful ammo.

Why are you blowing them up? Disarm and sell them!
Quote from jibber :Why are you blowing them up? Disarm and sell them!

Because I like setting off chain reactions that lead to enemy sentries.
Domino effect with mines....Yeah, THAT'LL work :P

Anyway, I'm stuck...

I got to Little Lamplight, rescued the kids, I have no clue what to do now

Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG