The online racing simulator
Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
Quote from xaotik :It's because they had set them up. Mines you set up will not explode if you go near them as well.

That is what I find annoying, how can a mine made of scrap lunch boxes and bottle caps identify the person who placed it.
I dunno what i like better. I somehow prefer it this way.

If i remember correctly, you could kill yourself with your own traps in Bioshock. It can be annoying if you are "blocking" your own way with the traps you are setting up.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :That is what I find annoying, how can a mine made of scrap lunch boxes and bottle caps identify the person who placed it.

Ah, I thought you meant the normal "old high-tech" mines. Yeah - it would be nice if the ones you make yourself are more unstable to compensate for their earth-shattering ka-boom; there's supposed to be one, mind you.
Well I've not found much yet, the best items I have are a missile launch, minigun and a stealth boy. I'm keeping them so I can repair them later and make use of them trying to get to Rivet City. In one of my early games I tried to get to that radio station with only a pistol and a baseball bat, and the first set of nasty things I found killed me easily.
I'm listening to Galaxy 24/7. Really taking a liking to 50s music
-
(major_syphillis) DELETED by major_syphillis
Quote from major_syphillis :I'm listening to Galaxy 24/7. Really taking a liking to 50s music

But there's only like 3 songs. /facepalm @ Bethesda.

It's not like money would be an issue to them to license loads more music like Rockstar did with GTA.
If you need more music, you can always download and install this "Ultimate Fallout 3 Music Mod" .

Quote :This mod add new musics in combat, wasteland, dungeon and city.
A total of 45 new songs from the legendary olders Fallout games.

- 16 songs from Fallout 1
- 08 songs from Fallout 2
- 19 song from Fallout Tactics : BoS
+ 2 extra songs for main title menu...

All files were re-encoded for best quality.

And on the xbox you can simply press the xbox button and play your own music. I once forgot to turn off the music that was playing before i started Fallout... about one hour later i've noticed that i was killing people while listening to some smooth jazz from Oscar Peterson...
Well yeah, you can always play stuff with your fav media player, however it can be pretty immersive when the signal quality drops in game or if the breaks between songs had a bigger variety of gameworld-related things said by the DJ or different radio dramas played than the same episodes of Dirk Dashwood's adventures (admittedly I've yet to hear them all through since I always get interrupted by someone shooting at me).
Really depends on the game, yep (something like Skate is perfect for playing your own music for example). In Fallout it was an "accident" and i just forgot to turn my music off. I prefer the in-game radio aswell for immersion (and yes, there's only like three different songs... gets quite repetitive after some time).
Well, it's more close to 10, but still in Our Time And Age(tm) it should of had more... more... more...
Threedog grates on me a bit, if he tells the world once more how Brian Wilkes is in a "f**king box" because I left him to fend for himself, I will shove my minigun up his rearend.
I've heard both good and bad things about this game, both in this thread and elsewhere.

Simple question is, would you recommend it?

Yes/no

Its not that simple.

If you liked Fallout, yes
If you liked Oblivion, yes
If you like RPG's, yes

Otherwise, probably no
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Simple question is, would you recommend it?

If you like a game where you can (for most of the part) set your own goals and do your own thing, then yes. If you like scripts, rigid linear plot advancement and full-blown cinematic experiences and such drama then most likely not.
I am dissapointed with the lack of depth in the game. The weapons are strange, why have modern weapons when there was potential to have new fantasy weapons all build from scrap. They needed to have more variations on the Rock-It launcher and the Railway gun thing. Also you can't form any kind of relationship with the characters, they just have the same old set dialog and don't react differently.

Nothing really bad happens when you do bad things, you don't lose items, go to jail, people just attack you which forces you to cause more mayhem to survive, but they just forget about it after a few days. Another annoying thing is when you reach a location earlier than the game expects, you managed to solve quests just by talking to people. For example I went to Rivet City before I went to that radio station, and suddenly realised there was all this dialog asking about some doctor, so I saw the doctor and basically skipped half of a quest by doing so.
Maybe you're expecting too much?

I thought the weapons in Fallout 3 are very good... lots of variation, lots of fun? What kind of variations of the Rock-it-Launcher would you like?

It's still just a game! That's why i said maybe you're expecting too much...

IMO, Fallout 3 offers one of the most complete gameworlds i have seen so far.
Tons of weapons, like Jibber says. probably one of the most complete gameworlds there is, not sure I have played another game that had as much variety of weaponary as FO3 has.

Quote :Nothing really bad happens when you do bad things, you don't lose items, go to jail

I think you are missing the point, it's a post apocalyptic world, there is little or no law and order, so you are left to your own devices regarding what you think is right or wrong, and your karma suffers accordingly.

Quote :Another annoying thing is when you reach a location earlier than the game expects, you managed to solve quests just by talking to people. For example I went to Rivet City before I went to that radio station, and suddenly realised there was all this dialog asking about some doctor, so I saw the doctor and basically skipped half of a quest by doing so.

Can't understand that, I too have visted Rivet city, before the radio station, and I haven't skipped any of the quest.

I think more schematics for new "self-build" weapons will be added as DLC in the future.
Well it gives you dialog options you have clearly not been set up for. I was given endless questions about some doctor that had not once been mentioned to me during the game, and it ended up being part of a quest, and asking those questions meant I skipped having to go to another location, but it also meant I missed part of the bloody story.

As for the whole no sense of law and order situation, that would be fine, if the towns didn't have security gaurds and sheriffs. It would also be fine if the karma actually did anything, so far the most it has done is make a little girl tell me I shouldn't steal things, so I shot her in the head instead and went on a killing spree, which seemed to be forgotten the moment I stepped outside of the city.

On the weapons subject, I just think there was potential to be a bit more creative. They had the right idea with the rock-it launcher, a projectile weapon that made use of the objects you can find. I would of liked to see a bottle cap pistol, or a crossbow that can fire bones of dead animals, or maybe something to fire toxic waste, seeing as there is a lot of that crap in the world. Instead is a few different variations on slightly too modern weapons with different levels of rust on them, and a bunch of standard melee weapons, the only one I actually liked was the flaming sword thing made out of a lawnmower blade and a motorbike petrol engine.

It's not too much to ask either, the crappy animations, basic dialog and lack of any fancy cutscenes must have left some room for improvements, it's not like it's a heavily populated world either, you only have a few locations that actually have more than open wasteland with the odd mentalist dog thing there.
I didn't experience the issue with the missions you are talking about either. I also went to Rivet City (and did quite a few missions there now) first, and haven't been to the GNR Station yet... nothing about skipped quests for me.

And the Kharma does something i can assure you. It changes the way people act towards you... there's at least one extra skill you can select when you level up that is also dependant on your kharma... some people will accept/refuse to be your "teammember" depending on your kharma level... etc. It DOES affect the game.

I've met quite a few enemies when wandering through the wastelands. Regarding the fact it's "wasteland" and there's supermutants, raiders, etc. It makes sense that there aren't many people out there who decided to have a comfy "dinner at the park on a blanket"? Or does it seem odd to you that they prefer to stay in the guarded cities/towns where they are safe and have everything they need?

I agree about the crappy animations, they look terrible sometimes. But it doesn't really bother me to be honest. I dunno why... but there are more important things in this game than great animations or fancy cutscenes (which i don't miss at all).

And about the weapons... i'll say it again... i think they've done a great job. You have your rock-it launcher, a weapon that can use almost anything as ammunition. You have the railgun which uses rail nails as ammunition... you got another gun that fires darts... a sword made of lawnmower blades which is in flames... mines made of lunch boxes and bottle caps (there's your use for bottle caps as far as weapons go).

Beside that, you have regular weapons... and it's not like there's not quite a few to choose from either.

Then you have futuristic weapons like laserguns and plasma rifles etc.

And on top of that, you get the special guns... like the Fatman, a gun that fires mini-nukes (like, come on! how cool is that?!).

I don't know... but tell me again... what exactly is missing? More weapons? A bow that can shoot bones... right.

Tell me about any other game with so much variation and selection regarding guns. I can't seem to think of one right now.

Maybe this game doesn't fit your taste, ever thought about that? Because it certainly is a very awesome game!
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Well it gives you dialog options you have clearly not been set up for. I was given endless questions about some doctor that had not once been mentioned to me during the game

Upon entering Rivet City you overhear people talking about the doc and her experiments - well, your character does. Most of the discussions in the marketplace between NPCs are about her IIRC (until you influence events).

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :It's not too much to ask either, the crappy animations, basic dialog and lack of any fancy cutscenes must have left some room for improvements, it's not like it's a heavily populated world either, you only have a few locations that actually have more than open wasteland with the odd mentalist dog thing there.

Odd, for all it's desolation and gloomness I've found the wasteland and a good portion of the the ruins to contain alot of variety in "micro stories" of the previous inhabitants and the current ones. The other day I found someone's hidden workshop in some tunnels that contained all his creative endeavours to kill time which in turn, based on the evidence of the aftermath that can be pieced together, finally killed him. But it's not labelled or documented, it's all just visual cues that if you run around and treat the tunnels as "just a dungeon" you will definitely miss. And details that are pretty damned funny - like a terminal that contains statistics of some office employee's work hours and berates them for not having worked enough in the past 78593 days.

I guess it's just the difference in how different people approach a game.
It's like the difference between drinking fine wine, and wine out of a box.

You sip fine wine, you smell it, you let it's flavours develop in your mouth, you appreciate all the little parts of it, where as box wine, you just gulp it down to get pi**ed.

I think ATC Quick is a box wine type of guy
I just went out and bought this, could not resist it anymore. Can't wait to try it out

Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG