The online racing simulator
Random Facts Thread
(581 posts, started )
It was basically because the SC (NB - first time a SC had ever been used in a race) was driven by a Joseph Ellis wannabe, and picked up completely the wrong driver when he came out after Scheckter and Cevert crashed into each other. At that point half the field had pitted for slicks (it had been raining), and so the other half pitted straight away. After all that, and the safety car came back into the pits, no-one actually knew who was winning (no electronic timing or anything), and so the organisers had to guess what happenned during the SC period as to who won. The wiki article displays the official results, which was that Revson pitted at the exact right moment and gained an entire lap under the SC, followed by Fittipaldi and Oliver
Quote from frokki :
  • Average adult Finn drinks 10 liters of 100% alcohol yearly. [source]

In Estonia that number is 13 liters...

The biggest drunks in the world are Estonians, Finns and Russians. What is wrong with this corner of the world?
Quote from hrtburnout :Perhaps it was due to penalties or punishments or whatever.

That was my secondary assumption.
Quote from J@tko :It was basically because the SC (NB - first time a SC had ever been used in a race) was driven by a Joseph Ellis wannabe, and picked up completely the wrong driver when he came out after Scheckter and Cevert crashed into each other. At that point half the field had pitted for slicks (it had been raining), and so the other half pitted straight away. After all that, and the safety car came back into the pits, no-one actually knew who was winning (no electronic timing or anything), and so the organisers had to guess what happenned during the SC period as to who won. The wiki article displays the official results, which was that Revson pitted at the exact right moment and gained an entire lap under the SC, followed by Fittipaldi and Oliver

That sounds like a Ferrari job. A **** up. hahaha
Quote from Kalev EST :In Estonia that number is 13 liters...

The biggest drunks in the world are Estonians, Finns and Russians. What is wrong with this corner of the world?

The fact that it's full of Estonians, Finns and Russians
  • The Flevoland province of the Netherlands is completely man-made.
  • The closest finish to an F1 championship was in 1984. Niki Lauda beat Alain Prost by a megre half point. The anomally courtesy of the Monaco Grand Prix being stopped early due to bad weather. A race which Prost won and was awarded half points - which at 9pts for a win in those days, was 4.5pts.
  • Keke Rosberg won the 1982 world championship despite winning only 1 Grand Prix that season, at Detroit.
  • Whilst most people remember the death of Ayrton Senna, the same weekend another F1 driver was killed in practice, Roland Ratzenberger.
  • The first purpose built racing track in the world was at Brooklands, UK. Where a road coarse was planned to be built by Hugh Locke King, an avid fan of the fledgling sport, who agreed to built the track on his own land with his own wallet in a drunken dinner party. Before the project was completed it had turned into the dauntingly fast oval with optional circuit racing 'infield' routes. It had cost Hugh Locke King £150,000 (this is 1907 remember).
  • The first races to occur at Brooklands where run to horse-racing rules.
  • Brooklands race track has claimed the lives of countless Germans, as in both wars it was home to aeroplane development and is the birthplace of the Sopwith Camel and Hawker Hurricane. Ultimately it would be this desire to kill lots of Germans from the air that would see sections of the track dismantled to make way for industrial units dedicated to the pursuit of this early 20th century sport.
  • There was a huge multi-car crash on the 13th lap of the first Indy 500 during which the people keeping score of the laps where so distracted that they forgot to make a note of who was on what lap - officially it was won by Roy Harroun, but 2nd place Ralph Mulford also thought he won.
  • The original LeMans circuit was 17.262km long, the modern track is 4km shorter.
  • In the late 80's Monaco published the dates of it's Grand Prix right up until 2020, this is the only recorded time that a race circuit has told the FIA not only WHEN it's race will be held, but also that it WILL be having a race.
  • The entire population of Finland drinks less in 1 night than a single Yorkshireman.
Quote from J@tko :Only if you're an engineer. In proper maths its 'j' Or is it the other way around?

It's the other way around

And I was going to say that before I read your white text.
Quote from Gil07 :It's the other way around

Bollocks. And I've just spent 6 weeks studying it
Quote from hyntty :
  • If you were to shout continuously for 8 yeas, 7 months and 6 days you would generate enough energy to warm up one cup of coffee
  • An orgasm of a pig lasts for 30 minutes
  • Banging your head to the wall consumes 150 calories per hour
  • Man and dolphin are the only two species that have sex for pleasure
  • Polar bears are left handed
  • The Atlantic wolffish (Anarhichas lupus) has got over 27 000 different sences of taste
  • Starfish do not have brains
  • Lions mate up to 50 times a day
  • Urolagnia (also urophilia, undinism) is a sexual activity in which participants derive sexual pleasure from urine and/or urination.

What about women?
  • The Nurburgring Nordschliefe is not the longest track to have held an F1 race. Whilst the 22.8km circuit was very long, at 25.6km the Pescara Circuit tops that list. The 1957 Pescara Grand Prix (its only F1 race) was part of two back to back races in Italy - the first time a country has had two races in one year. The track is noted for two crazily long straights.
  • Dick Seaman won the Belgian Grand Prix in 1938 in Mercedes (a car that the Nazis financed) - this stopped Adolf Hitler from going to motor racing events.
  • More United States nationals believe in a literal heaven and hell than evolution.
  • Jeremy Clarkson was at the same school at partially the same time as Adrian Newey.
  • Christian Murchison, despite having raced for Singapore in A1GP, is banned from the country.
  • If you chop someones head off, and then call thier name a few seconds after, the eyes on the chopped off head will open.
  • Chickens can fly; just not in high or long distances.
Quote from duke_toaster :
  • More United States nationals believe in a literal heaven and hell than evolution.

thats because evolution doesn't exist; it's some retarded idea an American came up with (I think ).
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :
  • If you chop someones head off, and then call thier name a few seconds after, the eyes on the chopped off head will open.

how do people know these things
Quote from S14 DRIFT :What about women?

Women don't have sex for pleasure, they endure it until the man clears off, then they open the sock draw and pull out the rabbit.
Quote from hyntty :
  • Urolagnia (also urophilia, undinism) is a sexual activity in which participants derive sexual pleasure from urine and/or urination.

gross!:vomit:
We (and by we I mean the British) get huge price jumps in power (by power I mean gas and electric) because we are subsiding the French who don't want to pay their fair share for power and have protests/riots when the prices go up, so the EU decided that we should foot the bill.

Got to love our gov't for agreeing to it really.
Quote from hyntty :
  • Man and dolphin are the only two species that have sex for pleasure

You have obviously never heard of the Bonobo.
  • According to current aerodynamical theory, bumblebees can't fly.
  • 80 Percent of people who drive a car think they are a better-than-average driver.
  • One in every 3 Germans thinks John Wayne was a German.
  • The 1904 Tour de France was plagued by scandals. 13 Riders were disqualified, including the first 4 finishers (link).
  • Aibohphobia is an irrational fear of palindromes.
  • Cacophobia- Fear of ugliness.
  • Caligynephobia- Fear of beautiful women.
  • Aerophobia- Fear of drafts, air swallowing, or airbourne noxious substances.
  • Gnosiophobia- Fear of knowledge.
Phobias are awesome. I think most kids today have the last.
In 2005, each person in the world consumed, on average, 77 beverages made by The Coca-Cola Company.

Random Fact Finder FTW!
Quote from Rappa Z :In 2005, each person in the world consumed, on average, 77 beverages made by The Coca-Cola Company.

I could probably drink that in 6 months, I have gone through 12 two litre bottles in a week, the old man wasn't happy as of the cost of 12 litres of coke. I love the stuff, must cut down on it.
Quote from sam93 :I could probably drink that in 6 months, I have gone through 12 two litre bottles in a week, the old man wasn't happy as of the cost of 12 litres of coke. I love the stuff, must cut down on it.

That is 24 litres, 12 litres would be 6 two litre bottles.

I buy that number though when I was at uni I'd have ~4 bottles of Sprite a week.
That's 24 litres in 7 days.

That's nearly 4 liters a day... not only is that bad for your teeth that's also a helluvalot of sugar. I'm sure you don't want to have to end up with diabetes among other health problems.

And don't think that Diet is any better. It's actually worse, and what's more contains a sweetner called Aspartame. 10% of Aspartame is converted into methanol, which is then converted into formaldehyde. Not pretty (You can tell because the bottle will say "Contains a source of Pheneleyneyene" or whatever it is.)
Quote from S14 DRIFT :That's 24 litres in 7 days.

That's nearly 4 liters a day... not only is that bad for your teeth that's also a helluvalot of sugar. I'm sure you don't want to have to end up with diabetes among other health problems.

And don't think that Diet is any better. It's actually worse, and what's more contains a sweetner called Aspartame. 10% of Aspartame is converted into methanol, which is then converted into formaldehyde. Not pretty (You can tell because the bottle will say "Contains a source of Pheneleyneyene" or whatever it is.)

Thats why I am cutting down on it. Diabetes is in the family, so I have a chance of getting it when I am older anyway. I am deffently going to cut down on it though.

Facts:
  • Bruce Lee's striking speed from three feet with his hands down by his side reached five hundredths of a second.
  • Bruce Lee could perform push ups using only his thumbs.
  • Bruce Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.
  • Bruce Lee could break wooden boards 6 inches (15 cm) thick.
  • Bruce Lee could cause a 300-lb (136 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a side kick.
  • Bruce Lee could knock a guy down into a chair with a one inch punch.
(I think you can tell I am a Bruce Lee fan, most likely to be the best martial artists ever, better then Chuck Norris, who in my opinion doesn't come close to Bruce Lee)

Also:
  • I drink way to much Coca-Cola.
Quote from sam93 :Diabetes is in the family, so I have a chance of getting it when I am older anyway.

Who's that then? Your step-mothers uncle in law cousin's 2nd cousin's aunt twice removed?

Random Facts Thread
(581 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG