The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Farcar, while you can't change the seating position you can change the FOV. Hit the [ and ] to change FOV. Also if you are using virtual mirror use between 70-100. Default 135 is to wide.
Quote from Crommi :Phew, 48laps of VIR Long done. Coincidentally as I was getting hungry, car ran out of fuel

Ran out of fuel? Was that the car literally running out of fuel or just the driver?
Quote from Hyperactive :Ran out of fuel? Was that the car literally running out of fuel or just the driver?

Yep, engine just went off and couldn't get moving again.

Hehee, just had a Rookie Solstice race, haven't driven that thing since I got into Skippy. Was pretty fun, like beautiful chaos with cars going all over the place. Managed to finish 4th with slow 1:05 laptimes.
Quote from JJ72 :
edit: another point, the attitude online is more like a racing RPG...people seem to care too much about their safety rating and ain't actually "racing", the faster the driver is the more he like to hotlap on his own (lol), which sometimes leads to some overreaction in their car movement, for me I just drive it like in LFS and it's fine....no need to be too tense.

Thats what I do. I dont worry to much about racing for position. Im just trying to maintain a decent SR so I can progress at the end of the season. Plus Im trying to get it above 4.0 so I can run the Late Model series. Lots of people I have spoke with have the same approach.
Quote from Crommi :Yep, engine just went off and couldn't get moving again.

Hehee, just had a Rookie Solstice race, haven't driven that thing since I got into Skippy. Was pretty fun, like beautiful chaos with cars going all over the place. Managed to finish 4th with slow 1:05 laptimes.

I think I was in that race! Took my self out lap 1 and then got taken out by some idiot whilst I was letting the leader pass on a straight
Got my first win tonight.

Started from 2nd slot, kept my position throughout the race and passed Drunken Predator on last lap after the last corner. Teh backmarkers keep causing mayhem though.

Haven't purchased any additional time or content so far.

EDIT: Hadn't remembered how bad my G25 wheel stinks after sitting in a closet for a month or two.

EDIT: The wheel was in the closet, not me.

EDIT: I came out ages ago and went back after I noticed how much the outside world sucked.

EDIT: Anyone on the 20 P.M. GMT race in 12 minutes?
i've given up on the solstice, realised that because i havent been using it enough i was behind the curve on both the basic and advanced so i've jumped to the skippy as if i'm having to (re)learn from scratch i may aswell be in a class that's a step further towards the mazda
Quote from tinvek :i've given up on the solstice, realised that because i havent been using it enough i was behind the curve on both the basic and advanced so i've jumped to the skippy as if i'm having to (re)learn from scratch i may aswell be in a class that's a step further towards the mazda

Just be aware of that most of the guys in Skippy series have atleast a month of iRacing experience advantage over you. No one is giving away positions or holding back and you should be well prepared by doing solo practise before joining a race.
Quote from Crommi :Just be aware of that most of the guys in Skippy series have atleast a month of iRacing experience advantage over you. No one is giving away positions or holding back and you should be well prepared by doing solo practise before joining a race.

Translation:

Avast landlubber! ye be sailing OUR seas now! Arrrrrrr!
Quote from Jertje :Translation:

Avast landlubber! ye be sailing OUR seas now! Arrrrrrr!

Right you arrRR! We be the most fearsome Skipper Crew on the pitlane. We drink, plunder and suck gasoline out of your tank.
i'm not really liking the whole "sign up and wait 20min to race" system... hopefully there will be a CTRA-like system in the future, i really enjoy the ability to log on whenever and have people to race... besides that, the game has a great feel to it, the cars are a lot more unforgiving then LFS. I'm gonna be playing it for the next month until my CTRA ban is removed. 30 days for removing idiots that don't know how to click ready from the starting grid is a bit excessive
I don't think that's going to change, it's how it was designed to work. Rookie races are rather short so that "20min wait" happens but at longer races you can basically race non-stop with couple minute intervals for quick bathroom run.
Is there any way to record replays other than fraps? I'd like to sit back and watch my racing and others, but the replay function seems to be unavailable. at least the ability to save replays... Its strange how little things like that are missing.
Quote from tweaK_05 :i'm not really liking the whole "sign up and wait 20min to race" system...

It's really a great system, just takes people time to adjust. I hated it at the start but love it now! You don't have to wait 20 mins. You could go off and do some practising
Quote from Gabkicks :Is there any way to record replays other than fraps? I'd like to sit back and watch my racing and others, but the replay function seems to be unavailable. at least the ability to save replays... Its strange how little things like that are missing.

no replays yet, sadly...... It will come with time so they said....
just ran a 1:48.50 at infineon and then spun going over the rise in turn 2

I'm going to finally get it down...for next month's infineon race
Nice pass. T1 is kinda the only place you can pass cleanly. the left hander after the double right at the begining also but it's risky to go 2 wide through there. Nice pass, good to see the guy still put up a fight while you were passing. With me it seems that if I outbrake them and end up side by side they slow down and get behind me before the second right hander... :S I've had 1 good race fun, full of action race so far but I won due to the leader spinning while I was chasing him. I'm hoping to get my SR up and maybe get better races..
This Solstice definitely feels more.. on the ground, and subject to gravity... than the cars in LFS, that's for sure.

Down to 1:03.6 at Limerock and (not so down) to 1:52.2 at Laguna. I also re-calibrated my pedals very slowly like some have mentioned in the iracing forum and the brake isn't nearly as touchy as it was before. Makes life a little easier...
Quote from tweaK_05 :i'm not really liking the whole "sign up and wait 20min to race" system... hopefully there will be a CTRA-like system in the future, i really enjoy the ability to log on whenever and have people to race... besides that, the game has a great feel to it, the cars are a lot more unforgiving then LFS. I'm gonna be playing it for the next month until my CTRA ban is removed. 30 days for removing idiots that don't know how to click ready from the starting grid is a bit excessive

It just depends what you're used to. If you're used to pick-up racing then this is bound to seem restrictuve. But if you're used to racing in a league then it is actually much more flexible.

I agree with Crommi here, despite what they say I'm not sure this will change very much, it's too core to how iracing works.
20mins is pretty good actually, it gives people time to rest and much less chance to f##k up.
Quote from JJ72 :20mins is pretty good actually, it gives people time to rest and much less chance to f##k up.

also if you have to wait for a race, it adds to the preassure not to do something totally insane at the first bend, theres none of the "get over it, it doesn't matter as there's another race in 10 mins you get on some LFS servers

crommi - don't worry, i'm praticing for next week and i'll be doing my usual stay out of the way routine its something i'm really good at being as slow as i am

wish we had a car soemwhere between the skippy and the mazda, about 200 bhp but with proper downforce rather than cosmetic wings

hey we could call it a FOX
Quote from tinvek :wish we had a car soemwhere between the skippy and the mazda, about 200 bhp but with proper downforce rather than cosmetic wings

Spec Racer Ford is on it's way, it has 105hp but capable of bit over 200km/h. Should be pretty intense drafting with those cards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spec_Racer_Ford
Quote from Gabkicks :here's a clip from my 1st win on LRP. I'm not quite sure how to get the best quality youtube uploads, i forgot the exact settings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFRDbnIgv0

great job. The ovetake was cool as well. That's the one thing I love about iRacing is the general clean racing. Yes there will be some incidents but overall it's so clean!
Quote from StableX :great job. The ovetake was cool as well. That's the one thing I love about iRacing is the general clean racing. Yes there will be some incidents but overall it's so clean!

I'd say it's pretty much the same amount of cleanliness that we have in LFS online racing outside the notorious de_dust combos. I've been taken out many times in iRacing by dumbasses not bothering to look first on their side before making a move.

Got a second victory last night. Very easy race and pulled a hefty 30 sec gap to 2nd. Dunno how.

Couple of questions:

I noticed the wheel isn't anywhere near linear unless I set rotation lock at 900 degrees. Does to Solstice really have that much steering rotation?

Trail braking feels really effective in the Solstice! By far more stable and willing to turn into the corner than anything in LFS. Maybe it's because there are no tyre temp overlays so I'm not afraid to put flatspots and surface temps into red in iRacing.

Also, I guess I'm a dumbass too for driving with full H-gate and clutch pedal setup? I recall there's no clutch damage and I'm handicapping myself with slower shifts?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG