The online racing simulator
Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
Fallout 3
Soo, anyone waiting to see what kind of blasterRPG this is? I know I am, I think Fallout 1 and 2 are the games everyone should try. Even with over 10 years of age those two games still have that extra something.

I haven't been watching very closely the whole ordeal with the claims that Bethesda is ruining it all but it is still one of the few games I'm interested to wait and see what have they come up with. I just hope it's enough "fallout" and not as much 3d shooter as it looks to be...

Some good links:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/
Official trailer
Official site
Disappointing in-game vid

(sorry if this comes across like an advert)
It wasn't on my watch list before E3, but after I heard some of the features and did a bit of reading, it went right on there.
I've never played the first two, so I can't really be that disappointed if they're changing the style. It looks like it's going to share a lot of the same mechanics as Mass Effect, which I love. So can't really go wrong.

And it has gibbing! I've not played a game with gibbing since Kingpin
#4 - Lible
Quote from Dajmin :It wasn't on my watch list before E3, but after I heard some of the features and did a bit of reading, it went right on there.
I've never played the first two, so I can't really be that disappointed if they're changing the style. It looks like it's going to share a lot of the same mechanics as Mass Effect, which I love. So can't really go wrong.

And it has gibbing! I've not played a game with gibbing since Kingpin

Care to share your watch list?
right... I hoped they'd make Fallout 3, but they have made STALKER : Shadow of Washington.

Great.
#6 - Lible
Quote from squidhead :right... I hoped they'd make Fallout 3, but they have made STALKER : Shadow of Washington.

Great.

Hahaha, how true.
I remember Fallout 2 with a passion, outstanding game.

Oblivion was a great game, and I am well looking forward to FO3
Until recently I'd never played the Fallout games but heard a lot about them. Fallout 1 I had to... *ahem* 'acquire' as I couldn't find it for sale anywhere (I tried, honest) but I managed to borrow Fallout 2 from a mate.

LOVED them. I'm ridiculously excited for Fallout 3.
Quote from Hyperactive :I just hope it's enough "fallout" and not as much 3d shooter as it looks to be...

Same here - there hasn't been much word on the RPG aspects really.
I read a preview in PCZone - apparently you can choose to either play it FPS style, where your own accuracy with the mouse determines whether you hit the target, or determine combat in a kind of first person 3D view of the original turn based, stat-determined system. Basically, you point your gun at things purely to choose a target, and whether you hit or not is all done with dice rolls. Not sure whether it's still turn-based though.
Yeah, I saw some video that illustrated those methods - but there's more to the fallout games than just the combat. And that hasn't been touched really. No in-depth mention or footage of interaction with NPCs and what not.
Well tbh, a badly animated rendered face and an interesting tree of responses isn't that hard to do....

I think as long as they have good dialogue trees it should work pretty well in first person, if they can get some system similar to half life with the facial animation and they way the characters make eye contact with you as they speak. The NPC interactions in 1 and 2 were done in first person.

I have confidence that they can still pull it off.
Quote from Lible :Care to share your watch list?

Can do. Here it is, in alphabetical order :
Alan Wake, Diablo 3, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Farcry 2, Fatal Frame 4, Forza 3, Gears of War 2, Hydrophobia (if it's still around), Left 4 Dead, Legendary, Mirror's Edge, Resident Evil 5, Spore.

I keep adding to it and taking away from it as I find more stuff out. Too Human isn't on there any more after the demo being a bit lame. Infinite Undiscovery is in flux after the videos showed annoyingly arrogant voice acting and irritating spellcasting. Mirror's Edge is a fairly new addition too, but I like the art style.
What the.. thats not fallout! Wheres the funny dialog and witty responses? Thats just some fps shooter pasted with some fallout styles.. Buu! BUUUUU!
Quote from Crashgate3 :I think as long as they have good dialogue trees it should work pretty well in first person, if they can get some system similar to half life with the facial animation and they way the characters make eye contact with you as they speak. The NPC interactions in 1 and 2 were done in first person.

Indeed - as they tried to do in Oblivion. However, where it falls short is that there actually isn't much in-depth NPC interaction. And that's where I'm getting to. In the first fallout games there were quite a few things to do and situations to work on due to the interaction with NPCs. I don't care how it's rendered and such - just the mechanics behind it and how it will (or won't as is most commonly the case) affect the gameworld.
It looks like it uses a similar system to Mass Effect, where it is moving towards a shooter with RPG features than an RPG with shooter sections.
But that's okay with me. As I said, I never played the first 2, so I can't complain. And I love ME.
I'm pretty keen on checking out Fallout 3, but if it ends up resembling Oblivion too much I'll no doubt tire of it fairly quickly (played it and Morrowind to death). On the NPC thing- my biggest(?) gripe with Oblivion was how all the character voices were done by what seemed to be three people maximum. I hope the've bought in some more voice actors for this one.

What am I even talking about? This game is banned in Australia. Bad game. Bad game!
Makes no difference though, does it? Aus is a PAL region so you can import it from the UK. Job's a good 'un

I didn't like Oblivion though, I found it very directionless. I'd rather Fallout 3 was like Mass Effect than that. Free-roaming is good, but I felt it was just too "do what you like" and not enough that made me WANT to do anything.
Quote from Electrik Kar :On the NPC thing- my biggest(?) gripe with Oblivion was how all the character voices were done by what seemed to be three people maximum.

yeah the game where you can observe

"a man talking to himself about how he likes to buy stuff from the shop owned by himself" (c) Zero Punctuation's Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Or this
Hmmm, got to admit i've never played any of the previous Fallout games. But judging by the vids this latest one doesn't seem to be doing anything new. Just picked up a copy of Stalker this evening (Yeh for supermarket bargain bins ) And at first glance they seem very similar. Although the bullet cam - or whatever it's called - looks pretty cool. Similar to Sniper Elite but with more gore and bigger bullets.

Just read today that all violent computer games are to be banned in UK prisons to all inmates except those on suicide watch Yeh, this'll certainly cheer them up
Quote from Mazz4200 :Just read today that all violent computer games are to be banned in UK prisons to all inmates except those on suicide watch Yeh, this'll certainly cheer them up

Violent games! Such crap, the only reason those inmates are on suicide watch is because of the XRT being removed from the LFS demo.
I don't dance around FPS shooters much, but since this game has perfectly recreated the metropolitan area, which i live close by. Will definately have fun trodding through familar areas.
#25 - Gunn
I loved the first two games, it's a bit of a pity in a way that the new game is in first person, I think you lose the feel of the old games, though it does seem like they have tried to remain true to the original concept. I'll probably buy this one.

Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG