The online racing simulator
Quote from duke_toaster :Can't see how it's illegal, it's not being changed by the same input as the gear (pressing that switch).

Imagine the gear changing paddle split in two, consider the over-all size and position hasn't being changed and now imagine a hand pressing the "two" paddles at the same time just like it was pressing the one previously. Magic. How much effect that has though exactly and why aren't both McLaren drivers benefiting we won't know.

Quote from thisnameistaken :But I'm pleased with how close I got considering how drunk I was, and that I was typing in the dark...

Quote from STROBE :Based on your posts last night, I think you should get drunk more often.

And based on photographs posted it's safe to assume that keeping the lights off is a good idea as well.
Quote from STROBE :Based on your posts last night, I think you should get drunk more often.

Actually I've realised recently that I can't go into a pub any more without being the last person to leave. That's probably bad. I never used to drink this much - I think it's more down to the company I keep than anything else, but I am starting to think I should say "no" more often when people are doing the pub-going.

I should also probably apologise for whatever I posted last night, but maybe just take it as read that in future if I'm posting after 1am I've probably just been booted out of the Olde Starre.

Quote from xaotik :And based on photographs posted it's safe to assume that keeping the lights off is a good idea as well.

i think ive told him that at a previous occasion... he never listens
Quote from duke_toaster :Can't see how it's illegal, it's not being changed by the same input as the gear (pressing that switch).

That smiley meant more like "how long until FIA bans it / every team copies it"

Basicly same thing, but more reliable source: http://www.f1technical.net/development/187

Here's a pic:

Smart thinking.

ps. More work for hands... in a little bit different way than H-gate shifter age. I wonder how many hours Lewis have played Super Mario Bros to improve his finger acrobatics.
Watched the Hockenheim Formula BMW race last night. Lots and lots of outside passes being made in that hairpin, and lots of room being given (except when n00b driving resulted in flipped cars, as happened 2x).
Quote from deggis :That smiley meant more like "how long until FIA bans it / every team copies it"

I would call that a really clever system (if it really is what the media is claiming). I can't see how the system is illegal / worth banning.

Obviously the new ECU allows mapping changes on the run without some kind of 30 secs delay, and I highly doubt that McLaren would develope somthing without asking the FIA if they are allowed to use it after last years fun. But then again we are talking about the FIA...

But kudos for the engineer(s) who came up with this solution.
Well Mclaren know how to make things legal, don't keep them secret. Thats what they did with their J damper, which is the reason Ferrari were closer at circuits like Monaco and Canada this year, because they made their own version of the J damper. Judging by the amount of sliding Hamilton does, it doesn't seem to be working as a traction control system, so I don't see the problem.
Looks like it might even have 6 paddles, as normally you have 2 for the clutch operation.
that ealier pic is small but definitely 6.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Well Mclaren know how to make things legal, don't keep them secret. Thats what they did with their J damper, which is the reason Ferrari were closer at circuits like Monaco and Canada this year, because they made their own version of the J damper. Judging by the amount of sliding Hamilton does, it doesn't seem to be working as a traction control system, so I don't see the problem.

yeah they have to disclose everything because if not, everyone will starts calling them cheaters again...

imagine what would happen if it was McLaren who came up with the "Benetton start detection system" back in 2002 or 2003...
or when mclaren had a retardation braking device in 97 and 98 being used as 4 wheel steering even though it was banned years before.
I wonder what other teams think about that. Obviously McLaren always knew such a system was possible, but what about the others? IIRC a lot of people were complaining at the start of the season that the ECU was confusing and hard to work with.

Maybe that's a "hidden" feature?
id hardly say its a hidden feature, its pretty obvious that the thing can have a certain number of maps stored and all the teams are using them, its just mclaren have implemented this method of changing them, if a team wanted to they could make it so if a driver hit his head on a switch behind him it went one way and if he got an errection which pressed a lever on dash it went the other, just wouldnt be very convenient
Hamilton's engine is under investigation.

Edit: Ooops, 2 posts.
Quote from diablo21 :Hamilton's engine is under investigation.

Edit: Ooops, 2 posts.

Lol? They think he's got NOS bottles hidden in there or somethin? :P

I wonder who called the investigation. Kinda weird. I doupt a big team like that would take such a huge risk by making modifications to the engin of their drivers car which are agaisnt the rules.
does anyone know if this was it's second race or not ?, i've been wondering what would happen if an engine was investigated after it's first race as once its been dismantled how the hell would you ensure that it was put together to the same condition that it was before the inspection?

alternativly if it was after its second race and illegal, would that mean that they'd assume it was illegal for the first race as well ?
Quote from diablo21 :Hamilton's engine is under investigation.

Good choice of smilie. I've had a good look round most of the F1 news sites and none of them have mentioned this. Where are you getting this info from Diablo ?
Quote from Mazz4200 : Good choice of smilie. I've had a good look round most of the F1 news sites and none of them have mentioned this. Where are you getting this info from Diablo ?

yeah was looking around but found nothing myself.
Apparently they do random inspections of engines after every race to make sure they're the model that was homologated. It's just routine.
Autosport and F1 Live. His and 5 other engines have been taken away for checks. I believe all have done both races already.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG