The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Ahriman4891 :I have a feeling that many folks think Solstice is "boring" because it's American. However, according to this video, the platform is really not bad--the only complaint Tsuchiya had was overly long gears, which as I understand is fixable as soon as your safety rating is a bit up.

Personally I look forward to it. I enjoy the close racing you get from the low powered cars in LFS. But from what people are saying once I reach the Skippy there is no turning back. They are suppost to be a hell of a good time.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I just had a better look myself. The in-game looks like it's got a higher camera, but if you compare the trackside objects it's actually the real-life shot that has the higher camera. And if you try to match any of the curves from one to the other it just doesn't work at all.

Maybe it's just from a weird angle - hard to tell with those crazy slopes going on - but you're right it doesn't looks very accurate!

The trees/etc. may not be EXACTLY to scale. In-game camera may have a different FOV than IRL camera, so trackside objects close to the edges of the shot will look different. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the discrepancies in these shots.
Quote :I just had a better look myself. The in-game looks like it's got a higher camera, but if you compare the trackside objects it's actually the real-life shot that has the higher camera. And if you try to match any of the curves from one to the other it just doesn't work at all.

Maybe it's just from a weird angle - hard to tell with those crazy slopes going on - but you're right it doesn't looks very accurate!

The in-game shot is tilted slightly higher (notice the barriers in the background, in the ingame shot the barrier in the background is raised above the foreground barrier) and panned closer to the track edge. You can't fix those angles in photoshop no matter what you do, scaling just squashes and stretches things.

When I compared those images in Photoshop I was pretty amazed.
Quote from LFS fanboy :Oh yeah a perfect match

Quote from iRacing fanboy :Even the tree branches are accurate. Amazing. Just having the opportunity to pay someone $25 for such quality is great.

I love the senseless fanboyism
Quote from ajp71 :I love the senseless fanboyism

Still you have to admit, while not exactly the same, the fact that the models closely resemble the real tree is impressive. Most games have gone as far as modeling buildings. This is a hole new level. It seems iRacing is placing building and objects, not only the track, at mm accuracy. That helps a lot when picking out braking points in the sim and taking that to the track if you are using iRacing for training. Imagin picking out a tree in the game as your braking marker and you go to the real track and that same tree is there.
Quote from Ahriman4891 :I have a feeling that many folks think Solstice is "boring" because it's American. However, according to this video, the platform is really not bad--the only complaint Tsuchiya had was overly long gears, which as I understand is fixable as soon as your safety rating is a bit up.

Yeah I've seen this video and the results aren't surprising. While the new Miata may have more sporty gear ratios, it's also designed for americans The suspension is soft even on the sport model and it has more cup holders than most 4 door cars I've been in. Grassroots motorsports ran a comparison with the second generation and found the older model was quicker on an autox track even though it has 30-40 less hp.

I'm hoping iRacing will eventually have something like a spec solstice series with large fields. Whether it's a solstice, miata, it doesn't really make much difference although the lighter miata would be more enjoyable.

You have to admit this looks like fun:
http://www.specmiatavideos.com ... os/mcollins_smpt_4_06.wmv (133MB)
Quote from Technique : Grassroots motorsports ran a comparison with the second generation and found the older model was quicker on an autox track even though it has 30-40 less hp.

A little O/T, but would you be able to tell me what issue that was (issue #, date)?

EVO mag had a similar opinion about the new MX5.
Quote from Mattesa :A little O/T, but would you be able to tell me what issue that was (issue #, date)?

EVO mag had a similar opinion about the new MX5.

Don't remember, sorry. You can probably search the forum on miata.net and find it. That's where I remember seeing it first.
Quote from Technique :Yeah I've seen this video and the results aren't surprising. While the new Miata may have more sporty gear ratios, it's also designed for americans The suspension is soft even on the sport model and it has more cup holders than most 4 door cars I've been in. Grassroots motorsports ran a comparison with the second generation and found the older model was quicker on an autox track even though it has 30-40 less hp.

I'm hoping iRacing will eventually have something like a spec solstice series with large fields. Whether it's a solstice, miata, it doesn't really make much difference although the lighter miata would be more enjoyable.

You have to admit this looks like fun:
http://www.specmiatavideos.com ... os/mcollins_smpt_4_06.wmv (133MB)

LOL, nice race. Very aggressive on the start.
The engine sound system is sample based, but they are small samples which are then randomised using some algorithm. I don't know if there are different ways to construct the engine sound relative to different conditions. This was mentioned on the member's forum a long time ago, but I can't find the details now, I don't remember the specifics.

As for not feeling the tyres on the track, I'm surprised at that opinion; it feels very connected to me, more so than any other sim. The tyre model feels great. There's a real feeling of 'bite' and you can hear the tyres chirp as they get pushed.
Quote from mikey_G :Wow, at the start that guy acted like a, whats the word again, ohh yea, a meathead

tell me about it. I don't have the balls to do that... even in the sim world.

Quote from dontsimon :The engine sound system is sample based, but they are small samples which are then randomised using some algorithm.

I thought so. In one of the solstice vids I posted you can hear a few small crackels and pops from the exhaust but it only happened at one point in the video and seemed completely natural unlike other games where it happens repetitively.
Could anyone post a video how does setups work, and try to make solstice REALLY comfy to see suspension traveling and how it is working? ^^
You can't change the suspension in the Solstice. Only tyre pressure, camber, caster and toe.
Hello.

Do you guys have any idea as to when the people who were invited by beta testers (those 10 ones which each beta tester could invite) will be able to join this "first wave"?
In fact I guess those 10 invited people from each tester are the ones who will be called the first wave. Is that it?

Anyone with a invite already got their "go ahead" for subscription or something?
Quote from Meanie :Hello.

Do you guys have any idea as to when the people who were invited by beta testers (those 10 ones which each beta tester could invite) will be able to join this "first wave"?
In fact I guess those 10 invited people from each tester are the ones who will be called the first wave. Is that it?

Anyone with a invite already got their "go ahead" for subscription or something?

It could be as early as this weekend or most likely next week.
here come the invites all.....

Quote :Great news! As of June 25th, the invitation process has begun. We are sending out several thousand invitations to join the service in the first of multiple waves that will be distributed between now and the end of the summer. Included in this first wave are the nominees that you beta testers passed on to us, as well as some of the individuals who previously registered on the iRacing.com public Web site. Subsequent waves of invitations will include iRacing corporate partners and additional registrants from the iRacing public site.

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=322568
Please remember, F5 keys have feelings too.
no point in bashing those F5 keys just yet... it will be at least one hour or more before they start getting sent out. So don't rape your keyboard for at least a few more hours

Quote :(from RSC)
Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley
I'm told that it'll be OVER an hour or so. Just trying to preserve the F5 keys...

Got my invite and downloading the client now

Edit: Going to be past midnight before I can get online.. 20mins left on download.
I hope my neighbours won't be mad if they hear FFB rumbling all night long.
Edit2: This has to be the longest 20mins of my life...
Edit3: Actually not, longest was when I had to wait for mailguy to finish his break before delivering my G25 :S
Edit4: 30seconds left to download!
Edit5: Damn, I sound like some fanboy without even trying it yet :S
hate to brag........

....but I got my invitation about 5 mins ago. Bank cards work, well mine did. You can only chose the $20 package just now , and will automatically renew by the looks of things, unless we cancel or change .

Now to try it out, will be back probably tomorrow
Got my invite too, but unfortunatly I didn't receive my new credit card yet, so I'll be driving with a girls name (my roommate's)

Anyhow, sucky about the forced $20 subscription they force, but I was planning that path anyway, so I don't lose any money on it.

I have to say that the whole singing up/ installing thing is done rather nicely

edit: I wish i could say the same about the download speed, it's dog poo slow!
For the love of your Deity-of-choice, please report back about how the thing drives.
The solstice is an american car, so I can tell you already it drives like shit

but I'll get back to this thread when I have formed an opinion
I have my invite, signing up in about 5 minutes when my father gets home.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG