The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
It looks like they took down the knowledge base articles. Maybe someone leaked it? Either that or teh internetz is busted..

One thing I found interesting was your safety rating is not only affected by contact with other cars, it's also affected by:

1) Rotating more than 90 degrees
2) Coming into contact with wall
3) 2 or more tires off the track

In LFS most people don't care if they hit a wall or go off the track since it's just a game. I'm guilty of this too. I think iRacing's system will encourage better driving. People won't jump into a new track and attempt to drive it at 10/10ths.
Quote from Technique :
In LFS most people don't care if they hit a wall or go off the track since it's just a game. I'm guilty of this too. I think iRacing's system will encourage better driving. People won't jump into a new track and attempt to drive it at 10/10ths.

I do agree to a certain extent, but you guys are willing to pay that much a month for something like that? To me thats just nuts, get in a good league and you will get the same level of professionalism.

Is having real cars/tracks really worth all that cash? To me it's not and find it hard to accept that others are crazy enough to think it's acceptable, but I am biased.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :To me it's not and find it hard to accept that others are crazy enough to think it's acceptable, but I am biased.

In a world where people believe that a god's kid can be born by a virgin woman after being commanded to do so by a lily-bearing angel, I find it hard to accept that you find it hard to accept.
Quote from xaotik :In a world where people believe that a god's kid can be born by a virgin woman after being commanded to do so by a lily-bearing angel, I find it hard to accept that you find it hard to accept.

LOL
I've no idea whether I'll actually get around to forking out money for iRacing, but I don't understand how you guys can be so conclusionistic about something you've never seen.
Quote from Whitmore :In sim-racing terms iRacing is expensive, but in general terms its not. It's cheaper than a bottle of spirits a month and not that much more than a PC magazine a month.

.. but it is neither a bottle of spirits nor a PC magazine. It is a racing sim, and an expensive one. Why compare a sim with a bottle of liquor instead of another sim, unless for the purpose of distorting the perceived cost of the sim in relation to other racing sims?
Quote from Whitmore :In sim-racing terms iRacing is expensive, but in general terms its not. It's cheaper than a bottle of spirits a month and not that much more than a PC magazine a month.

If you use it regularly then yes iRacing isn't that expensive but very few people want to save money staying home playing computer games. Lots of us are really here as much for the community as for the racing, I haven't had time to race LFS for over a month (one rF evening is the only online racing I've done in a month) and Shot hasn't raced LFS yet this year. The whole iRacing system doesn't work for us, we want a good community first and some good clean and realistic racing with our mates when we feel like it second.
Quote from Electrik Kar :I've no idea whether I'll actually get around to forking out money for iRacing, but I don't understand how you guys can be so conclusionistic about something you've never seen.

Hold on, we're getting to that bit - we've only done 29 pages so far, what's the rush?

If I could get a copy of Custom PC, PC Pro, PC Gamer etc for a one-off cost of between £5 - £30, and then have the magazines for several years, do you not think the first person to start charging £10 a month might be met with hostility?
Yes ofcourse iRacing is expensive in sim-racing terms, but in general terms, its cheap. Its much cheaper then a car loan or a house loan, so whats the whining ay? iRacing is very cheap! How are peoples sarcasm meter's running?
Quote from aoun :Yes ofcourse iRacing is expensive in sim-racing terms, but in general terms, its cheap. Its much cheaper then a car loan or a house loan, so whats the whining ay? iRacing is very cheap! How are peoples sarcasm meter's running?

I hope you were jokin' -> lol you was

The whole deal with this situation is not mainly the price, its the principles. The idea of the 21st century looks like to be "squeze as much money of the ppl as we can, on every possible step". Thats the thing thats wrong here. Surely we have to wait until it is released, but what if it in physics terms won't be so much better than stuff we have now? Or if it will not feature some really realistic elements, and elements trully never before seen? I can tell you what will happen. All other sh1t is gonna see this and gonna start charging in same style for their product. Would you all like that? I wouldnt want that. And keep in mind, iRAcing has yet to proove that it is worthy of the purchase, and more i think about it, the way it looks its gonna turn out it will not justify the pricing. But i might be wrong on this. But to get me purchase it, it must have some very advanced simulating. Not the online racing scheme. As far as im concerned, this scheme is turning me away even more than it b4 i knew about it.
Quote :Hold on, we're getting to that bit - we've only done 29 pages so far, what's the rush?

I was posting in the spirit of arguments sake

Hmm.... (don't mind me). It just rubs against me - this prevailing forum attitude that if it ain't LFS, then it's most likely fit for burning... :Kick_Can_
Quote from Electrik Kar :I've no idea whether I'll actually get around to forking out money for iRacing, but I don't understand how you guys can be so conclusionistic about something you've never seen.

No-one [barring the free(?) beta-testers] will be able to judge the product without seeing/paying for it, as there is no demo...
Quote from srdsprinter :No-one [barring the free(?) beta-testers] will be able to judge the product without seeing/paying for it, as there is no demo...

I'm not saying it's preferable, or even standard practice not to issue a demo, but on the other hand a demo can only ever be an approximation of a full product- admittedly some are better at conveying what things are, and some are terrible. Being realistic, there is risk in almost everything we buy. But that's where detailed reviews, word of mouth testimonials from people you respect, and you-tube videos come in. I wonder how many people laid down the money for a G25 before actually testing one, simply going by the online reviews and testimonials?
Quote from Electrik Kar :I'm not saying it's preferable, or even standard practice not to issue a demo, but on the other hand a demo can only ever be an approximation of a full product- admittedly some are better at conveying what things are, and some are terrible. Being realistic, there is risk in almost everything we buy. But that's where detailed reviews, word of mouth testimonials from people you respect, and you-tube videos come in. I wonder how many people laid down the money for a G25 before actually testing one, simply going by the online reviews and testimonials?

True, but then again a racing sim in its demo element gives you full view of the physics and onrrack situation. And something, as radical in pricing terms in simracing as iRacing will be, they even have the balls to put no demo out. Not even 10 hr free trial run if you want. Only $$ count for them. Now if you have a slightliest sence of whats good and whats bad, you cant just go around and wait for it to be released and buy it asap. It better be pretty damn fabulous to persuade enough ppl to get it. And yes, i know it all specualtion, but the pricing model sits tight atm, and to me it smells very bad.
Money. The LFS Team seams like the only people out there not driven by it.
Quote from PwrSlave :True, but then again a racing sim in its demo element gives you full view of the physics and onrrack situation. And something, as radical in pricing terms in simracing as iRacing will be, they even have the balls to put no demo out. Not even 10 hr free trial run if you want. Only $$ count for them. Now if you have a slightliest sence of whats good and whats bad, you cant just go around and wait for it to be released and buy it asap. It better be pretty damn fabulous to persuade enough ppl to get it. And yes, i know it all specualtion, but the pricing model sits tight atm, and to me it smells very bad.

GTA had no demo, yet still shifted millions. Many games have shifted millions with no demo, however as we all know this is no 'game' but a sim-racer.

And you can't blame them looking to try and cash in, it happens all the time, without money then nothing gets done. LFS is a differnt thing and I wish people would stop trying to compare it. LFS is a project started by a couple of guys who have a passioon for racing/gaming, while Iracing is also ran by guys who have a passion for racing/gamin, but have taken it to a diffrent level, requiring many resources and man hours - man hours which have to be paid. I'm sure the team behind Iracing is more than 3 guys in their homes.

I love how people always look for something for nothing, case in point the replacement of the XRT in demo level. I admit it seems strange to pay a monthly subscription for a game, but it is becoming the norm these days. I think we just have to wait and see before judging and sentancing the game.
What im judging is the price. I cant judge anythign else because there isnt anything else on the subject out yet. When it gets out though, i hope it will be as good as a smoke after sex. If it wont, then we can pretty much say goodbye to all that we(I) want from a proper racing sim. Unless its gonna cost even more. So now i wait, for it to come.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :it is becoming the norm these days.

Must disagree with this. Being less unheard-of is far from being the norm. We're familiar with the WoW subscription model, but it's never been applied to sim racing before.. like (as mentioned earlier) it's never been applied to bottles of whiskey or PC magazines either. In sim racing's niche market, renting content is a previously unheard of idea. Whether it will stick with the punters to the extent that will be required in order for iR to survive is not going to be known for some time yet.
I'd like to see Whiskey that you only have to pay for once
Quote from Electrik Kar :I'd like to see Whiskey that you only have to pay for once

hehe.. and curry. I usually pay for that all day the next day too!
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :To me thats just nuts, get in a good league and you will get the same level of professionalism.

I've yet to see an LfS League that enforces the "2 wheels within the track"-rule, because nobody stays within the lines at Aston, Kyoto or Fern Bay...

Quote from Electrik Kar :I'd like to see Whiskey that you only have to pay for once

You do... You then use it until it's gone... In addition, if you choose not to use it after you already purchased, it doesn't depreciate and not a penny of your money is wasted...

Am I reading the knowledge base right that we're not only robbed of the freedom to choose whom to race, but where (in terms of track) as well???
I didn't see anything like that. But if you pay for a track, there's a chance iRacing will lose the license to that track over time and you can no longer race it online. You will "not" be given a refund but you can continue to race in test mode by yourself. The FAQ says the chances of them losing a license is slim but still I don't really like the idea of paying for a subscription AND renting content. I'd prefer either one or the other. Either subscribe and get everything or pay for the initial release and for track/car packs.
Quote from bbman :I've yet to see an LfS League that enforces the "2 wheels within the track"-rule, because nobody stays within the lines at Aston, Kyoto or Fern Bay...

Not seeing where you are getting this from. Pickup racing is one thing, but I have not seen league races where they allow people to cut tracks... unless the driver is running some club type event with little regard to professionalism. I know for a fact the STCC and eTM enforce/d these rules. I was a driver for one and I am an admin for the other. So there is at least two leagues that have/has enforced these rules.

So, if you goto the store and see something you really want, worth $300 over the course of a year? You think this is cheap and people should be wanting to spend their money on it? Which is what you guys are saying is acceptable. Can't see that myself. That pays for a month of food or fuel.

I cannot justify paying that much for something that I can play for free with a great community and has rules that are very similar, albeit a bit more variable in the enforcement.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG