The online racing simulator
post me a link to this Kegety fella's site and tell me the name of the files you're using and I'll go hook em
Got it....don't have time now, but I'll rattle your cage when I've done something with it
For Monkay - didn't take long, and I didn't put much effort into it
Attached images
XRT_Drift Master.jpg
i see what it is now tristan; its that your GI is blue
for tires.. well..actually just get me on MSN and i will send you mine; keep in mind that with vray you dont have to use the vray materials; for rubber stuff like that i use standard materials so i can set the glossiness and specular levels, vray does that as well
Nope, my GI is white There is a slight blue tint to the HDRI I was using, but I can't really see the effect on the tyres

I have been using standard materials as well, but vray DOESN'T cope will with them from what I've read. Specular highlights are a faked effect for the scanline renderer and don't work with vray lighting. Smax's render is the first time I've used a vraymat for the tyres, and I intend to do more work to them to get them tyre-like. I've reduced the noise on the tyre to a much lower value, and the displacement map I use is also on a low value (less than 5 normally). The texture is of a reasonable quality and the sidewall texture (which I made all by myself ) is okay too, but I have to mix the diffuse colour with the diffuse map to ensure that both textures have the same colour when next to each other i.e. no visible line where the sidewall is lighter in texture than the tread.

Tyres are by far the hardest material to make 'real', and as such it'll be a while before I'm very good. I don't think I've yet seen a really good rendered tyre yet - even KidCodEa's 'S3 render engine" attempts which are very good aren't quite real (and his exhaust is white on the inside).

If I don't make enough progress on the tyres I can always fall back on my 'standard material tyres', even if they don't look right under certain lighting conditions.
Thanks for rendering my XRT tristancliffe vbmenu_register("postmenu_78438", true); !!
I've got a skin that I'd like rendered, with a few requests, one of them oddball.

First the skin: http://home.comcast.net/~kchrpm/FZR_Qdoba.jpg

Second the minor requests: Wheel center/spoke the color of the green on the cactus logo, wheel edges the color of the orange in the logo, resolution 1280x800

And the oddball request: Can you make it look like it's sitting in a QDoba restaurant parking lot? Real or virtual, doesn't matter, and if you can't it's not a big deal, I just think it would make a cool shot.
Tristan you have PM...
Thanks Smax - in return I have done this. Tell me what you think

To others, I'm very sorry, but I won't have time for a while to do any renders for people - Uni is demanding more and more of my time. I will, gradually, continue to do Smax's because it's something I've already committed to and I said I would. Hopefully other people will be able to do renders for the other people for a while.

Sorry.

These 'rules' can be broken if you send me a cheque for £5 per render (but that's a joke, don't actually send me money).

Edit: Removed piccy
Could anyone with skillz0rz do a render of these? ty in advance
Attached images
FXO_Mviper.jpg
XFR_Mviper.jpg
-
(NorwegianViper) DELETED by NorwegianViper
that HDRI sure does make those wheels look real, about the tires though, i suggest you use a displacement map rather than bump map (that way its .. actually 'polys') rather than just .. some lighting techniques (you'll have to find a tutorial or talk to me or road hog about displacement maps [im sure sniiki knows too], they're alot harder to work with than a bump map[alot harder as compared to just putting on a texture map])

or is that displacement?

i would say.. the tire material is getting there, but i would say make it a little more glossy
It is displacement

I was thinking the tread needs a little more depth to it, so I'll increase it from 5.0 to perhaps 7.5 and see what happens. And yes, a touch shinier tyres with a touch smoother bump mapping (diffuse, bump and displacement mapping on each tyre and (separately) each sidewall ) on the tyres too.

But at the preview sizes the tyres look both great and crap at the same time, hence the rather large previews. And once I've done a 20 minute preview I can't be bothered to do another one again straightaway until Smax has commented (cos it's for him, so he's got to like it regardless of whether you or I like it).

I was chuffed with the wheels too
That tyre texture actually looks better than I thought it would.

My only complaint is that the car itself is looking a little too shiny for a matte background, I know your personal preference is for quite shiny cars, but I must admit I would prefer if you wound it down but only by a little.

Thanks for taking the time over this, I understand the uni thing, I finish in 8 weeks myself.... so obviously don't spend too much of your time on it, unless you fancy treating it as a learning experience /chance to play with "stuff"
i gave it a try with the FXO,hope you like it
Attached images
fxomviper.jpg
Another go (whilst my dinner cooked )

Edit: removed
Now that I like Tyres look great!

I can always get all photshop on it if I ever want it to look really shiny anyway.
those tyres are dead sexy tristan
Hurrah, at last - a happy Smax and a happy Jok3r too to boot! Glad you like it. No other constructive comments or will that do? If we carried on until it was perfect we'd be here for months cos I'm simply too much of a 3DS Noob to get closer to reality in a short space of time.

If you ARE happy with that I can bang out a larger render at your say so. Could even go twice as big as that, but it'll take a couple of hours, in which case I start it rendering when I go on to campus tomorrow.
@driver....ty
If you can go to twice that size [which is presumably 2048x1536?] without making your machine decide to reboot halfway through then hell let's have it twice as big

Yes, I am more than happy with the scene as is, The matte background will be well suited to paper, the contrast on the car is just about right, well maybe you could pump it up a tiny amount say a coupla % or so but only if you like
Any other alterations can be done by me and my photoshop.

Thank you for spending so much of your time on this, and a particular well done on the tyres, they've come out much better than I ever expected them to, and your sidewall texture compliments the tread pattern very nicely
It's nearly ready :D
Soon to be released - the best, most real render I have even done. Some of you might like to point out flaws in it, and compare me poorly against the really good renderers, both here (Morrow, Sniiki, Orion, et al) or on the internet, and one day I do hope to be as good as them. But I say pffff, I'm enjoying learning and fiddling and playing with options without knowing what's gonna happen. Maybe one day I'll be the one pushing the boundaries of LFS renders (cough, yeah right, cough ).

I don't want to spoil the end results (unless you've already seen the WIP versions ), so I tried to cover it up. But I only had this really crap bit of tarpaulin, so you still get a glimpse of the finished article. Oh well, next time I'll go out and buy either a bigger bit or at the very least a nicer bit, but I'm a student so what do you expect

Grande unveiling will be tomorrow afternoon (whilst it renders during the day)

And yes, this is just a blatent excuse to play with cloth reactors... :P
Attached images
Covered Car.png

Render My Skin
(9831 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG