The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :Yes, and very good news for S1 racers - many S2 servers are on S1 content so can be joined by S1 racers.

hm so what happens if a server changes the track or maybe just the available cars to s2 content while s1 users are connected?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :They can still start one though and get around it by using the dedicated server. That's why it's entirely a bad idea. Just because they can't start one in game, doesn't mean they couldn't start one in an dedi, and adding licence check to the dedi would be silly, for:
1) the dedi could get hacked to remove the licence check (a la crackers, and people who have removed the cheat protection system to hack.
2) I've paid my 24 quid (x3, because I have 3 licences but...), why do I want features that I've paid for to go to people who haven't paid anything? With 12 cars or whatever, they should be able to get a suitable taste of LFS.

See, that's what I meant with a constructive discussion. I haven't thought about that and now see you have a valid point with number one. This could be solved with an extra dedi-server only to download by licensed people, but then you still have to option of hacking (which will always be a problem unfortunately). Anyway, maybe Scawen can think the whole idea over and find a solution for it. On the other hand, if he decides to leave it the way it's now, he has every right to do so. I tried and respect what ever the outcome is.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :See, that's what I meant with a constructive discussion. I haven't thought about that and now see you have a valid point with number one. This could be solved with an extra dedi-server only to download by licensed people, but then you still have to option of hacking (which will always be a problem unfortunately). Anyway, maybe Scawen can think the whole idea over and find a solution for it. On the other hand, if he decides to leave it the way it's now, he has every right to do so. I tried and respect what ever the outcome is.

Seems like a lot of extra work just to give more free stuff to people who already get alot of free stuff AND who just got another free bonus.

I don't think it will ever happen I'm afraid.
Quote from Shotglass :hm so what happens if a server changes the track or maybe just the available cars to s2 content while s1 users are connected?

They'd probably just get disconneted. Seems the obvious thing to happen/thing to do, they'd have to disconnect anyway.
Quote from garph :They'd probably just get disconneted. Seems the obvious thing to happen/thing to do, they'd have to disconnect anyway.

That´s what I thought, but surely there must be something in place to soften the "what the hell just happened" effect of being disconnected.
Quote from Shotglass :That´s what I thought, but surely there must be something in place to soften the "what the hell just happened" effect of being disconnected.

Like a picture of a thumbs up and some text saying, Buy S2, just before they get booted?
Attached images
thumbs-up copy.jpg
Will they get booted though ?

If it's just the allowed cars that change, then anyone still driving the cars that were previously allowed normally gets to continue driving them until they pit.
Quote from Bean0 :Will they get booted though ?

If it's just the allowed cars that change, then anyone still driving the cars that were previously allowed normally gets to continue driving them until they pit.

But they had that car unlocked in the game, S1 user don't have certain cars unlocked.

I vote for them just being booted.
They are kicked instantly, with a pop-up dialog informing them "Host is Live for Speed S2".

This message won't come up in all cases if they are connected to an old host, in that case the message sometimes just appears as the last message in the message log.
I proposed a different message, which was probably a bit TOO arcadey for a racing sim.. Scawen didn't go for it

GAME OVER
INSERT £24 TO CONTINUE

LOL!

I like

Or my effort:

"Hi there. I am Eddie, your car's computer. Please buy an S2 license to continue...In the mean time I will go and make some tea"
Teh old coin-ops never said how much did they, just insert credit ?
I thought it was so greedy arcade owners could charge what they wanted.
Some did (AFAIK) Bean0
Quote from Bean0 :Teh old coin-ops never said how much did they, just insert credit ?
I thought it was so greedy arcade owners could charge what they wanted.

No need for localisation?
Quote from Scawen :Sorry about the previous posts (now deleted) we all misunderstood your post.
I know what the problem is. User names must be three letters long.
You registered very early before the three letter limit was set.

EDIT :

Can you register a new user name?
If you want I can change your old user's email to something else so you can register a new user name with the same email address.

Or maybe it's possible just to add one more symbol to his username, damn I'd be really sad if I had to leave my 5 years old account only for this .
Any mirrors?
Quote from Starbert :I think this is a good idea! Please remove the max. of 12 racers in the demo-content. Make it unlimited. It solves a lot of problems with demo-racers showing up or not showing up, full servers, or a second demo-league with almost no racers because the first server is full.

+1
set limit for demo. if server set limit 40 racers then only 12 racers may be on this server with demo account
Good patch, big thumb up for it, just one idea. What about some "demo filter" which will filter servers set to demo combos from others? Something like cruise filter. Is that possible?
It's little bit.. uhm.. not unnoticeable (is it right word?)
What about the demo can join s1,s2 servers but only watch.
Cant join race.
yea...filter is good idea

demo drivers should be demo, not mixing with s2, because many demo drivers just start to drive lfs, I don't wont to drive with some new guy who make destruction derby on the track

Quote from aroX123 :What about the demo car join s1,s2 servers but only watch.

Cant join race.

if they join to watch, they can use all slots and then I can't join to drive

btw
I start fiew demo and S2 servers with y18...you can try it....Gospel of Torque GoT ... etc.
Quote from OverLordKV :yea...filter is good idea

demo drivers should be demo, not mixing with s2, because many demo drivers just start to drive lfs, I don't wont to drive with some new guy who make destruction derby on the track

if they join to watch, they can use all slots and then I can't join to drive

btw
I start fiew demo and S2 servers with y18...you can try it....Gospel of Torque GoT ... etc.

Thats why Demo users now have usernames. They can be banned by username for wrecking.

I think it's a great way to "unite" the community, and hopefully we'll see some better racers come out of it, and a few more S2 drivers
Quote from Kid222 :Good patch, big thumb up for it, just one idea. What about some "demo filter" which will filter servers set to demo combos from others? Something like cruise filter. Is that possible?

+1
Quote from Kid222 :Good patch, big thumb up for it, just one idea. What about some "demo filter" which will filter servers set to demo combos from others? Something like cruise filter. Is that possible?

Quote from OverLordKV :yea...filter is good idea

^^^^
Guys, read before you post, this is Scawen's answer to the same question from the first page of this thread:

Quote from Scawen :Well... not really. You could use the car filters. There are much fewer demo compatible hosts anyway so they won't make your host list take much longer.

The idea is to unite the community, not divide it, so it's better not to have filters and labels. I know it's a different way of thinking...

Quote from Scawen :
Originally Posted by Scawen in Hosts forum:
Any of these will prevent demo racers from joining your host :

- Allowing non-demo cars
- Allowing more than 12 cars in race
- Allowing more than 15 guests
- Selecting any track other than Blackwood
- Loadng a layout

About not allowing non-demo cars I´m not quite sure I understand the logic behind this. Demo racers still can not select them and drive them, right?

So why wouldn´t they be able to join and play using the cars they ARE allowed to use?
Quote from pauliaK :^^^^
Guys, read before you post, this is Scawen's answer to the same question from the first page of this thread:

Ah, ok then. Must've missed it.
Quote from Imprez :About not allowing non-demo cars I´m not quite sure I understand the logic behind this. Demo racers still can not select them and drive them, right?

So why wouldn´t they be able to join and play using the cars they ARE allowed to use?

Because they can't join a server with anything non-demo available.
This thread is closed

Test Patch Y18 - Licensed Demo System
(324 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG