The online racing simulator
the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
#126 - Woz
Quote from seinfeld :the normal cars in LFS , like the stock ones, like the XR, XF, RAC, all the ones that use the radial tyres, I 100% agree that they are pretty much bang on, mo issues there.

when it comes to the GTRs and the open wheelers, its totally wrong, you cant run 4 degrees negative camber (live) on R3 tyres without them over heating after 5 -6 laps, and thats just wrong, alot of racing cars, run up to 6 degreees neg camber,run 60 lap race with 1 or 2 tyre changes and get thru a race just fine,
V* supercars here in australia run controlled dunlop slicks they usually after 10-15 laps they are good to go for another 10 if they get a good cool down cycle, in lfs the suspension, and tyres are totally wrong, the BF1 for example, if we say the R1 is the supersoft (used in monte carlo) they last 10ish laps in real life, we cant use them for bf1. 2nd R2's are the soft 20 odd laps is easy they did in melbourne, in the game u cant get 7 laps with decent camber and decent downforce. with R3's 4-5 neg camber +6 castor, med/high downforce) ect its totally wrong, the tyres need to be unique for each car because each series has a specific tyre developed for those cars, atm they are to generic, GT5 has always had decent tyre physics, ok the squeel is terribuble I know, im gana write a letter about it lolz. so no tyres are crap in lfs besides the road cars

R1 tyres and R2 on cars that do not allow R1 are Qualify tyres.

If you cant run 20laps on R3s in a GTR in LFS it means you are pushing too hard and over driving the tyres. I have run 20+ laps R2 fronts and R3 rears on Aston with no issues. No pitstop and ALL tyres still green at the end of the race.

Yes the Aussie V8s run huge cambre to allow the cars to turn BUT when you watch pedal cam in the cars you realise it takes then up to 2 seconds coming out of a corner in 2nd to feed power until their foot is planted. Winning is about modding your car so its better, always has been and always will be.

People in LFS constantly foot mash and use car setups with stupid unrealistic values (But fast due to physics holes) and then wonder why their car/tyres suffer. As more damage comes in it will force more realistic setups.

The tyres in LFS are off but not by what you say, probably more your driving TBH.

I really really doubt that GT5 is near realistic. Its a mass market pokemon (Gotta get em all) car collection and mod game, not a sim.
I used to burn my tires after two laps, I'm talking about r2's. MNR is some of the best Aussie racing online. It taught me to actually conserve the tyres. Ill do 25 laps No problems with R2's. I could do 40 laps in SO Long in the XFR on R2's. I'm guessing its the way you are driving.
Quote from seinfeld :were u using a wheel? if you were you forgot to put the mode into simulation, turn of power assistance. and you would of had a smile ear to ear. probably because its in jap u couldn't read it. to bad I hope u try again, with english copy.
for 60 cars, and 12 tracks ill pay 49 buks no worries, I payed 40 for a non finished game, with minimal content, needing improvments, and terrible GFX (live for speed) so why not for a tried and tested game?
take a step back from your LFS bubble world, you payed the exact same thing for a much less game, wake up!

Yes I was using my G25 wheel in simulation mode and the H-shifter activated which was a real pain to get it working (my friend is pretty good at Japanese too so it mostly makes sense). It made next to no difference. I had another go last night just to refresh my memory and dude!!!!! its really bad physics. It handles nothing like a real car on a track. It's not too bad right on the limit of grip but once past it the car is like a hovercraft with no control which is just wrong. You seriously need to get some real life practice of driving cars on the limit on a track because then you would see LFS is the closest game there is at reproducing this.

I'm not in a LFS bubble at all. From day one when i played LFS for the first time right upto now I still feel the same way. When I kept coming home from a day on track I wished there was a game that could reproduce it in a fun and realsitic way. I found LFS and was amazed at how close it was. When and IF a new game comes along that is even more realistic than LFS then I'd probably spend most of my gaming time on that. I'm not stuck on LFS at all, just it is the best game at this moment in time. (I'd also like to say I have every GT game and do find them fun just not in a realistic way.) Every GT game is far too like an arcade game. It has to be or the masses wouldn't buy it.

For real tracks, real cars and a laugh with your mates its great. But a game that can actually help me in my Racing carrer and reproduce how a real car moves, handles and reacts on a track then LFS is the game that is and will hopefully continue to push simulation towards real life.
what i think
i've just been playing the PAL game for about 2 hours with three different cars
suzuki swift sport 07
mitsubishi lancer evolution x gsr 08 (reason i wanted game)
suzuki cappucino 95

and so far the cars seem to feel pretty difficult to drive
on professional physics mode with traction,stability, and steering aids turned off.
im using manual atm and its actually quite an experience
the swift feels really light and slow off the line,has a fair bit of bodyroll but you can flick it into corners to cancel out understeer and cause some oversteer

the lancer is much heavier but alot faster and is probably my favourite, mainly because of the tremendous amount of grip and the fact that it drives like a rally car when you push it too much

the suzuki cappucino is quite slow but probably the easiest to throw into corners because it is so light, and it can even get lift off oversteer and perform some nice mid corner drifts if you come in too hot.

i find that going at highspeed in this game the car starts to wobble and feel light which is quite scary to behold and im pretty sure gt4 or gthd demo didnt have that, like the car gets twitchy and nervous...

i havent compared it to lfs yet because i havent spent enough time with it, but so far im in love with the incar view, range of cars that i want to buy in RL, and the fact that it supports my g25 with clutch pedal (a first for ps3 i think but im still using gamepad)

i will probably be able test some high powered rwd cars tomorrow night and let you know what i think

thanks for reading this post that went for longer than i expected
I find it strange that the first thing that is always brought up regarding damage in car games that manufacturers don't allow it. But Forza 2 has damage (NFS4-5 had damage, even Pro Street has), so obviously Forza and NFS devs "convinced" the manufacturers. I don't believe that the car manufacturers are the main cause of the lack of damage in todays car games.
Quote from _--NZ--_[HUN] :I find it strange that the first thing that is always brought up regarding damage in car games that manufacturers don't allow it. But Forza 2 has damage (NFS4-5 had damage, even Pro Street has), so obviously Forza and NFS devs "convinced" the manufacturers. I don't believe that the car manufacturers are the main cause of the lack of damage in todays car games.

its prob has to do with the scale of the damage, and how its done.
If there was damage then the game would lack in other departments and ovcourse take much more time to make, and these guys get on fine without the damage and make millions anyway, they wouldn't make that much more if the cars could take visible damage.
Quote from Bawbag :they wouldn't make that much more if the cars could take visible damage.

Yes they wouldn't look soo pretty afterwards

GT5 is cool for what it is.

I dont think you'll ever get that same rush as lfs, in GT you know you have a bumper all around your car..

LFS will probably always be my main favorite game... I do wish for more updates and updates with plans on the game (future patches).. I dont care for new cockpits right now.. I wish they would perfect the every sim aspect right now (torqing of drivelines (from what I've heard), gear boxes that can break, maybe radiator damage so you can overheat your car). If your really focusing on the interior that much you must not be racing
get a ps3
get gt5p PAL
get a drving force pro or G25
get the f430
turn off ABS
turn of all other assists
put game in professional mode
and put steering wheel in simulation mode

then... play gt5 for a bit
then come back and say that gt5 is crap. i challenge you.

im not saying it is better or worse than LFS but gt5p has come a long way, the physics are a lot changed from even the recent jap prologue, it has a real feel for oversteer now and FEELS GOOD which is the main thing. too many people just write this game off sight unseen and more importantly without playing it
Quote from crimespree :get a ps3
get gt5p PAL
get the f430
turn off ABS

im not saying it is better or worse than LFS but gt5p has come a long way, the physics are a lot changed from even the recent jap prologue, it has a real feel for oversteer now and FEELS GOOD which is the main thing. too many people just write this game off sight unseen and more importantly without playing it

Done the whole list you wrote. And I say GT5P physics are crap compared to LFS. Graphics on the other hand.....
Quote from Thunderhead :Done the whole list you wrote. And I say GT5P physics are crap compared to LFS. Graphics on the other hand.....

Agree also. Done the above and the physics are just not realstic at all. It doesn't matter if it feels good or not if its not like a car would handle in real life then its not a good game imo.

A lot of my friends thought the GT games were realistic but once they had a fair bit of track experience they soon realised that the GT games car physics are like hovercrafts. So far the best game is LFS at reproducing a cars physics on a track. I can't see how anyone can argue that GT5 is better except for better graphics and real cars/tracks.
What is it with Aussies choosing this thread for their first forum post?
i never suggested gt5 was better but rather that it aint crap.

dont even try to compare to real life,
some things just cant be simulated and these affect how you play a "game" , a couple for example :the feel of traction loss or pedal feel
both games must take some liberties to make the game about as challenging as real life,
i find LFS less intuitive to drive, sure it can be done easily but it feels better in GT5 imho, im sure LFS simulates things more realistically but for me it is about how it feels, i should be as easy as it is in real life,

i still enjoy BOTH games and partake in REAL motorsport, to dismiss GT5 completely is a joke
Quote from SabersKunk :What is it with Aussies choosing this thread for their first forum post?

maybe cos the OP is (and i am ashamed to say it) Australian too.

The thing with damage is, you can have either damage, or you can have DAMAGE!

Arcade damage - what 90% of games have. Deformation, panels falling off, some mechanical damage model etc. Like forza, nfs etc

Simulation damage - what a select few have. Run into something at 250km/h and its game over. Run into something head on at 100km/h and its game over. Richard Burns Rally has the most difficult damage simulation by far I think. Many a time, on the last stage of a rally, on pace for a cracker time, halfway through the final split, and I run over a rock at the wrong speed at rip the suspension out, rally over. Frustrating? Yes. But REALISTIC.

Do you really think every single person would love REALISTIC damage? No, they would end up throwing their controllers or steering wheels out the window. It will envitably be dumbed down a bit.
Quote from crimespree :get a ps3
get gt5p PAL
get the f430
turn off ABS

Done with a DFP. It feels alright compared to GT4, but not particularly realistic at all. Brother got the game yesterday, and we played it in turns and had a blast. That's just because the GT series is good for arcadey entertainment. It's still not a simulator; never has been and never ever will. ever.
Anyone in East Anglia got this? Can I pop round and give it a try. I need a giggle!
Just watched that video where Kazunori son drives a bit and demonstrates a new GT wheel, that F1 going over the grass at the end of the video made me lmao...
Just got my copy, been trying to update the bugger for the past 40 minutes, it's failed twice in a row! Why do you need an update the morning the game has been released!?

I will report back when i've finally got round to driving the Mini Cooper S i just bought!!!
fail the update, then download it in GT:TV, will work
Quote from Thorvertonian :fail the update, then download it in GT:TV, will work

Yup that's what i'm doing now, about 50% of the way through after 20 minutes, damn servers....

How bad is the online action then?
the update enable online play and allows you to turn off ABS
is t available on PSN yet?

I can't get to shop and hope to be playing tonight....
i didnt see it there, i bought the BD

the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG