The online racing simulator
the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
Quote from spyshagg :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L023Gxp4pWM

F2007 reallife vs F2007 GT5P

its like a mirror

[sarcasm]Yeah, mirror[/sarcasm], video description:

Quote :Schumacher is actually the faster driver so I had to speed up/slow down the GT5:P video in order for it to keep up with the real life video while making sure every part of the track is reached at the same time. The time modifications on the video are almost undetectable as they were never beyond +-10%

PS: Am I the only one who doesn't find the sound too convincing in this GT5 vid?
well the sync was nice but I meant was the track stuff being on the exact same place
Quote from danowat :Interesting Jibber, you sound just like I feel about the whole thing.....

I am SERIOUSLY tempted to go out and buy a PS3 for GT5p, I already have a G25, so it might be worthwhile.

I have played GT5p, but only for a short time, and only with a pad, in your personally opinion, and compared to Forza 2, which I believe to be the pinnicle of console "sims" at the moment, would it be worth chucking 299 at a PS3?

It's hard to give a good answer to that.

Basically, it is a lot of money still. I had it "lying" around if you want to say it like that. So i decided to go for it. However, is it worth it to buy an (expensive) console just for one game (which isn't even a full game, rather just a big demo)? I'd say if you think about it in a reasonable way, no, it isn't.

It also depends on what you want from a game. A hardcore LFS fanboi wouldn't be happy with GT5P i guess. There are still things that you'll have to laugh about with GT5P... little details, like when you drive into the grass next to the track, and see your car "hovering/bumping" on the surface like something from outher space, but not like a car... Things like the tire sounds, no skidmarks, the stupid and slow AI... etcetc.

I think it depends a lot on how you plan to play this game.

I didn't buy it with the intention to have some serious racing... nor did i want to go and race online (look at those youtube vids... the netcode seems to be horrible). I simply use this game to play it on single player... time attack/free run. To mess around with the cars on the track... and then drool over the stunning looking replay (sometimes it looks almost like watching a real video, it's really quite impressive) for half an hour. As i said... i just love cars!

Now compared to Forza... i can't make a good comparison there...

I've only played Forza with the joypad. I think the physics of Forza are a little bit better than GT5P. However, GT5P with the G25 FEELS a lot better. Maybe i would still prefer Forza if played with a G25 (if that would be possible). But as i said, i have never played it with a wheel.

I've always played LFS with the DFP. And what i can say is...
The driving techniques i was used to from 900/720 degrees with the DFP in LFS... they work perfectly in GT5P with the G25! You can feel that the physics are much more simple (pretty much like the Forza physics feel "simple" compared to LFS), but the same driving/steering techniques still apply. It's not like you have to drive "unrealistically" in GT. As i said, it has become a lot more decent compared to previous versions.

For me those physics are fun enough, and together with the G25 and the graphics of GT, it makes for some serious fun!

If you are not sure whether to spend that money on a PS3 and GT5P, or a nice short holiday trip... new running shoes... whatever, then i'd say spend it for the holidays/shoes/whatever. If you have it "spare", and don't worry about the investment too much, then by all means, go for the PS3 and GT5P! You'll enjoy it most likely!

Something important to consider about the PS3 btw...

You can either connect it via a normal RGB/composite cable, or you can use the HDMI connection. Other than that, there is no other way.
If you want to connect it to your TFT/LCD screen, there are HDMI to DVI adapters. However, your screen has to support HDCP so it will display something. And if you're lucky, and your screen does support that, you'll still have no sound. The only way to get sound then, is to use the optical connection of the PS3. And for that you need a receiver or speaker system with an optical input.

I have an LCD screen with a HDMI input and a headphone output. So for me it was no problem. But you just have to be aware, that connecting a PS3 to an LCD screen isn't as simple and uncomplicated as connecting your xbox to an LCD screen with the vga cable.

Hope that helped a little with the decision... however, don't get too excited about it all... after all it's just a game. If that's worth buying a console for, then go for it, but be aware it's just ONE game!
I sure felt a bit stupid when buying the PS3 just for this... however, i didn't regret it so far!
Well, I have the funds from birthday money, I am either going to get a PS3, or a GPS running watch, so I want to make the decision between those two!!!.

As an added bonus, if I get a PS3, it will save me buying a blu-ray player
Go for what is more tempting then!

Just remember, it's still not LFS physics wise. It's really more like Forza with a wheel (i suppose), with a lot better graphics, terrible tire sounds and no skidmarks and damage... so don't come back here afterwards and say i didn't tell you that!
Dano, go for it. I did the same. I had the G25 anyway.. bought ps3 + GT5:P package 3 days ago. Don't regret it at all. Can't wait for full GT5 (Nordschleife + F40 = :schwitz
Quote from Michel 4AGE :Dano, go for it. I did the same. I had the G25 anyway.. bought ps3 + GT5:P package 3 days ago. Don't regret it at all. Can't wait for full GT5 (Nordschleife + F40 = :schwitz

Word

I won't be buying the Prologue, but once the next GTA and GT5 are released, I'm going shopping
Here's a little vid i've put together, nothing really impressive and quite boring at some points...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDpR2aqfok4

It's filmed with a 3MP Digital Camera, pointed at the screen. It's also zoomed in to get rid of the borders from the screen...
...just don't expect great quality.

PS: It was the 2nd day with GT5P and the G25. So bare with me please regarding driving mistakes and crappy drifting in the video.
well, you sort of interested me too actually Allthough it looks like might like it(definetly not sober tho :razz I doubt I buy PS3 anytime this year, I don't earn that much for now.

One question, is there an option to switch off a wheel (and driver) from displaying? Also in the video, it seems that wheel in cocpit view doesn't rotate further than around 200*, or does it rotate as much as your actual controller?
Why does the wheel only turn about a quarter of the way in game? Its the same with rFactor.
Quote from [RF]-art555 :

One question, is there an option to switch off a wheel (and driver) from displaying? Also in the video, it seems that wheel in cocpit view doesn't rotate further than around 200*, or does it rotate as much as your actual controller?

You can change the views, but you can't turn off the wheel or driver from the in-car view. The wheel won't rotate further. The G25 was on 900 degrees, and as far as i know, there is no way to change to less degrees (i didn't search for it tho).

Quote from niall09 :Why does the wheel only turn about a quarter of the way in game? Its the same with rFactor.

I don't understand why either... it's one of the first things i've noticed when playing it. As i said in a previous post... there are still A LOT of flaws with Gran Turismo.

Edit: I aswell think this thread should be in the off-topic section.
to AndRand, yep I must admit, I didn't try LFS with 900 degree wheels - only "standard" ones and mouse and I'd imagine that it is quite a bit harder when having so much rotation lock to lock...

to kamkorPL, I still haven't tried drifting in RL, and do agree that my opinion isn't very credible then.
Would really like to believe it though - (that drifting irl is quite easy). Bringing back to life my ca18det this summer (hopefully :schwitz
Quote from jibber :Things like the tire sounds, no skidmarks, the stupid and slow AI... etcetc.

so...how many online races you hope to get? in specific car you like? and track?
Quote from Michel 4AGE : Dano, go for it. I did the same. I had the G25 anyway.. bought ps3 + GT5:P package 3 days ago. Don't regret it at all. Can't wait for full GT5 (Nordschleife + F40 = :schwitz

yep, thats what I like it for - if I was to race at one of those tracks GT5 would be teh bestest. Just to make race watching more immersed I would just buy RACE07

hey Michel - do you race with TBO at dSRC? I cant see any servers with them.
Quote from AndRand :so...how many online races you hope to get? in specific car you like? and track?

As i've written in one of my previous posts... none.

I really have not the slightest interest to race with the people you'll find in the Gran Turismo community (which i'm not part of).
By the way, is there any way to adjust the amount of wheel rotation used in the game? I find it rather impossible to catch slides reliably and get away with the ever-impending GT5 snapback of doom with the full 900 degrees on the DFP.
just practice, it is very do-able, just like real life your front wheels need to be pointing in right direction when rear grips come back
Have to agree with that, it's no big deal. Just practice!
I think if everyone wants to effectively see GT5 graphics and car/track selection with LFS physics engine we need to start a donation fund (I will certainly chip in) and get things going for the S3 (with dx10, even better physics, ai, sound, real cars & tracks everyone keeps whining about) any other hardcore guys down? this is of course would be with the devs approval since the only way they can even hope to get a budget like polyphony is have a donation fund since the license fees are certainly not enough to develop and license cars & tracks...imagine what the devs could with a quarter of polyphony's budget? oh yeah
So you'll start with the first million?
I don't know how can someone compare LFS to GT5 and the developers to sony...the sony sh*ts on you...can you call the sony devs OUR devs? No.. but Scawen's team is OUR team... i mean WE develop the game 2gether. About the game, i haven't played it yet, but not I'm not willing to. I saw the graphics, that's great, but as far as i heard its still arcade, and arcade SUX! Byez
Quote from jibber :So you'll start with the first million?

I was being somewhat sarcastic but I thought that was obvious...I meant to stop complaining unless the community was prepared to fork over a lot more money for LFS dev team to compete with polyphony in terms of graphics, real cars & tracks, but in retrospect now, I was thinking 1/4 or even 1/10 budget of polyphony for GT5 would be what? and I wonder how many license holders there are total for LFS right now that would actively consider donating to get S3 where they want it...
I've been playing GT5p for quite som hours this past week now and it is really challenging and enjoyable. And no, not in the same way NFS can be challenging. Overtaking in certain corners is challenging, but only in some cars and with a certain setup. The tuning actually makes a difference, but not in the same degree as LFS of course. I would be playing LFS as well right now if I didn't just have a bunch of laptops.

One story from GT5p: I was driving the F40 at suzuka gt (which is my favorite combination) and had just gotten out of all the tight corners on the way up from the straight to the upper part of the track with one guy left to overtake. I plan to overtake him on the inside of the wide left bend since I know I have better grip than him, but I misshift on my way from 3rd to 4th, I lose speed and I end up right behind him. Semi-panicking I shift into 4th and floor it in the middle of the bend which is a bad idea since the slipstream reduces my downforce and fair enough, I spin out and 7-8 cars pass me while I crawl out of the sand.

One of few things about the physics that really annoys me though is how far behind a car you can feel the draft begin to work. Already at a distance of 4 or 5 car lenghts you can hear the wind go silent and you swoop by him. I refuse to believe that the vacuum left behind by him lasts that long, even in 280-290kph.
Quote from Tisza :I don't know how can someone compare LFS to GT5 and the developers to sony...the sony sh*ts on you...can you call the sony devs OUR devs? No.. but Scawen's team is OUR team... i mean WE develop the game 2gether. About the game, i haven't played it yet, but not I'm not willing to. I saw the graphics, that's great, but as far as i heard its still arcade, and arcade SUX! Byez

When someone drives well in LFS and you watch an out-of-car camera, it also looks easy and arcade-ish. If you watch motorsport on TV it looks arcade because they know what they are doing. You need to get in front of the G25 and drive yourself to know if it's arcade.
Quote from tristancliffe :Ha ha ha ha, you fell for GT5s polish

And then you try to give advice to Scavier!!!!!!

Hope you enjoy your arcade game. See you in a few years time.

+1

I find it hard to compare a consol game with a PC game.
Have they ditched the Catch-up system in GT5p? At least in online races?
I remember driving GT4 with my friends in split screen, no matter how much you loose someone, he's always there behind you.. it did get a while until we noticed that's it's the Catch-up system used in many arcade games, way to go for a "Real" driving simulator..

the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG