The online racing simulator
the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
I just had my first online race. I guess it's exactly what I expected... the netcode is smooth and everything feels more or less like it does off-line, except of course the 11 morons in a 12-man race who never brake and use everyone else as their personal bumperbrakes. Funnily enough, I finished 2nd in a 12-man field with the absolute slowest car of the pack.

To give a good view on my experience: think T1 on a demo server in LFS, and then that for every turn unil the finish, as the idiots are not taken out as harshly by natural selection (aka damage/flipping/crashing)

Still had fun offline though, and I'm sure in time there will be a way to only play with normal people.
playing with PSN "friends" is apparently on its way
I got a question...

Is it possible to change settings/setups on the cars? Also, is it possible to change the wheels etc?

I remember GT Prologue for the PS2. You couldn't do anything with the cars beside driving them as they were. That annoyed me big time.
there is a quick-tune, which allows different setups and engine maps to be selected realtime in race. So there has to be limited setup at least
Seeing as they completely ****ed the launch on PSN which is where i was going to buy it originally i just went and actually got it on disc. Installing it now.
Quote from jibber :I got a question...

Is it possible to change settings/setups on the cars? Also, is it possible to change the wheels etc?

I remember GT Prologue for the PS2. You couldn't do anything with the cars beside driving them as they were. That annoyed me big time.

From reading other forums, I gather that once you reach 'A-spec' you have setup options...means nothing to me
#158 - Dac
i am new to LFS but have completed all the previous GT games and loved everyone of them. i konw the previous ones were rubbish physics wise compared to LFS and the new one uses a new physics engine which sounds better than LFS, but the fact is is you can race on £30 and a standard PC which most people have anyways. i dont need to spend £300 etc on a machine just for the job.

as im new i wont black list myself by criticising LFS but id like to see more development and news relating to its progress
There is nothing wrong about criticism regarding LFS. So no worries. And i think a lot of the people from the LFS community are actually "starving" for new content/news.

People who "get blacklisted" are ones who claim that the GT physics are better than LFS physics... which is a bit like saying "the suspension of my shopping cart is better than the suspension of your Ferrari."

@Bean0:
A-Spec, if i remember correctly from the previous GT series, is something like a licence/car class.
Personally the image of the way the developers of the GT series expect their game to be do not seem to fit the simulation stand point, for physics, A.I., and tire modeling. However it is an amazing looking game.

Already, with GT5 prologue (Japanese version on PS3), the suspension seems to act exactly the same as GT4. It gives of the feeling that the cars is not attached to the wheels at all. Driving feels like being in, what I imagine as, a hover car that follows the road surface and the wheels are just there to make the cars look like they are touching the ground. The A.I. was pretty good in avoiding the the car I was driving in, but they were easy to pass and their average speed (around Suzuka) was slow. I could put at least 12 sec. total at the end of two laps when starting in eighth while also playing with a controller (PS3). As for the tire modeling (grip), it had improved for GT4 and the GT demo. However, I would have to say that Forza motor sport 2 did a better job of simulating tire contact with the road.

The development of GT5 Prologue seems to have been focused more on the modeling of the cars and environments than the progression of their series as a simulation. My expectations of the development of the GT series was ruined when I played GT5 Prologue because it just didn't seem to have been developed much in the time and money they had spent on it. On another note, I most likely will sill purchase GT5 so I can play on some of the famous tracks such as Nurburgring, Laguna Seca or Infineon. But I will definitely not buy, or recommend buying the GT5 prologue.
Ok, my uncle got his GT5 a day early in the post, so I was having a go of it tonight and quite honestly, it's utter pish. Ok so the actual game is the usual stuff which I guess I still liked, but I went online and the netcode is worse than crap.

Cars allways jittering and cars sounding like there on max revvs all the time, it's really retarded. And as for the people driving, you are there wall, allways bonking you off and for osme reason you can randomly become invisible and wonder through cars! Then you get a penalty when you hit the wall which can be a sucker if someone crashes you into the wall (Which is a certainty)

The online racing goes by how fast your car is, so if you have the fast integra you start last, or the slowass golf you start first, there's also some sort of ridge racer type catchup on the game, so if your straggeling, don't worry, you gain an extra 10mph just for being 10 seconds behind!

Ok rant over, but seriously if your buying this game because you expect something from the online play, don't, its proper shit and to think they can call it a sumulator when A you can't get within a foot of another car without sending it flying and B you go invisble sometimes.

#163 - Dac
Quote from jibber :
@Bean0:
A-Spec, if i remember correctly from the previous GT series, is something like a licence/car class.

a-spec was when you drive 1st person i believe, and b-spec was when you act as a race controller or something telling the driver what to do, speed up, slow down, pit etc.
Quote from Dac :uses a new physics engine

New = tuned GT4

GT:HD was made on top of GT4... GT5 is made on top of GT:HD. Quite simple.
Quote from legoflamb :Personally the image of the way the developers of the GT series expect their game to be do not seem to fit the simulation stand point, for physics, A.I., and tire modeling. However it is an amazing looking game.

Already, with GT5 prologue (Japanese version on PS3), the suspension seems to act exactly the same as GT4. It gives of the feeling that the cars is not attached to the wheels at all. Driving feels like being in, what I imagine as, a hover car that follows the road surface and the wheels are just there to make the cars look like they are touching the ground. The A.I. was pretty good in avoiding the the car I was driving in, but they were easy to pass and their average speed (around Suzuka) was slow. I could put at least 12 sec. total at the end of two laps when starting in eighth while also playing with a controller (PS3). As for the tire modeling (grip), it had improved for GT4 and the GT demo. However, I would have to say that Forza motor sport 2 did a better job of simulating tire contact with the road.

The development of GT5 Prologue seems to have been focused more on the modeling of the cars and environments than the progression of their series as a simulation. My expectations of the development of the GT series was ruined when I played GT5 Prologue because it just didn't seem to have been developed much in the time and money they had spent on it. On another note, I most likely will sill purchase GT5 so I can play on some of the famous tracks such as Nurburgring, Laguna Seca or Infineon. But I will definitely not buy, or recommend buying the GT5 prologue.

i had the jap version it I agree it handled badly, there are some welcome changes for the PAL version and on top of that it gets some more improvements after you download the online online update
Why are some of you bashing him? It's stupid to bash him because of what he likes.
Quote from Panda X :Why are some of you bashing him? It's stupid to bash him because of what he likes.

I'm no expert on GT, but I think they're bashing because he claimed the physics and realism were better than LFS and rFactor.

Which, let's face it, is a bashable (and hilarious) offence. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure which is a mainstream game and which is a sim. Nothing wrong with mainstream games - until you try and claim they're more realistic than sims.
He also claimed that after 3 years of playing LFS that he hasn't had his £24 worth.
Bawbag. About the invisible cars. I've read that this is some kinda penalty or something. When you hit a car hard enough it gives you a penalty , you can't accelerate and to prevent you from interfering with other ppl's race you turn "invisible". Or something like that. Yes.
Quote from Bawbag :He also claimed that after 3 years of playing LFS that he hasn't had his £24 worth.

You can see his point on that though, for that kind of money he could have a whole 4 weeks of iracing!
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Quote from Bawbag :He also claimed that after 3 years of playing LFS that he hasn't had his £24 worth.

pmsl, thats a good one that is

I'll still prolly but the pS3 simply for GT5 (full version), the new GTA and to play HD movies.

But when you get it free with a phone contract it doesn't seem so bad.........

I enjoyed hammering the Scooby around the ring with all the aids off and sim tyres on in GT4, realistic or not it was still fun
Quote from zeromussov :F2007 Movie: http://www.gtplanet.net/high-quality-f2007-videos/

I think it's awesome, only prob is I dont have a ps3

Was a bit of a mistake putting the Youtube video of real life there, because it just highlights how awful the driving is. And therefore probably the physics.

I bet it's a great laugh on a big TV when you've had a few though.
Quote from Michel 4AGE :Bawbag. About the invisible cars. I've read that this is some kinda penalty or something. When you hit a car hard enough it gives you a penalty , you can't accelerate and to prevent you from interfering with other ppl's race you turn "invisible". Or something like that. Yes.

Close, but not quite. If you see a car go transparent, its mainly due to lag. The game will atomically decompose a player if they lag a bit and there is a large movement detected so the car doesn't shoot across the track and take somebody out because according to the other player, that piece of track was vacant. It's to try and minimise big accidents and what not.

Its not perfect by any means, but a nice try.
Yea, you get a 3 second penalty if you do the good old wall riding, but the collisions are never fixed, I had 1 race where 4 cars just bombed up the inside of me and used me as a barrier, only after the contact did they go "invisible"....
Oh ok. I read it on youtube where some guy explained the online play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXz2UyGB3-I

"The penalties help to allow some smooth play. Those that break the rules get penalized by not allowing to accelerate for a short amount of time. Not quite sure how it calculates it, but I think it depends on how serious the penalty was. Those cars will turn into ghost cars and you can drive through them preventing them from interfering with your race."

Guess he's wrong then hehe

the GT5 Prolouge thread
(400 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG