The online racing simulator
Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
Quote from XCNuse :Yea I know, I sharpened them beyond where they should be so they aren't so blurry on Facebook.. I should just figure out what size facebook is and sharpen them, upload, then delete then do my regular 33% pictures like those.

Maximum of 604 pixels in either dimension
My mom had nice Christmas tree, so I took a pic which came out pretty ok, I think or is it good only for my eye?

Nikon D40 that was in automatic no flash mode, no tripod, taken with free hand.

Was lucky also as at morning it did fall 1cm of snow
Attached images
christmas_tree.jpg
Played around a bit at the Christmas Eve dinner at grandma's house. This was the centerpiece.
Attached images
Warmth  DSCF0548.jpg
I powered up my noname camera again..
Attached images
mooon1.jpg
Quote : I powered up my noname camera again..

Great action shot!
Some pics from my week trip to up north, there was bit snow
Attached images
DSC_0223s.JPG
DSC_0289s.JPG
DSC_0290s.JPG
DSC_0291s.JPG
Damn, I was really hoping Harjun had posted here

Nice pictures mate. I miss snow
I am a freelance Pro.

Gears
Nikon D2X
Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4 DX
Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 DX
Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm F/2.8 VR G
Nikkor 50mm F/1.4
Nikkor AF-S 300mm F/2.8 VR
Full carbon fibre light-weight tripod (manfotto) (forget the model)

2x Nikon SB 800 flashlights
Studio lights stand
Easy-carry studio lights

etc etc too many to go on the list
Quote from JTbo :Some pics from my week trip to up north, there was bit snow

Look like a little adventure
Good pictures, night & on the snowy road (I bet there was a good background music accompanied you)
I love to drive similar conditions as you did there, but there is not too much snow here.
Quote from halo :Look like a little adventure
Good pictures, night & on the snowy road (I bet there was a good background music accompanied you)
I love to drive similar conditions as you did there, but there is not too much snow here.

Sun did not go above horizon level even at mid day, at best there is dark with blue shade in everything.

That brightest shot was taken at around 3pm, with flash it did look like this
#162 - Dru
Hi Guys,

Just seen this 'off-topic post'

WOW lots of people with lots of good quality shots.....

I'm new to Photography but here's what I've got and what I've taken with it in the few hours of sunshine that I'm not working or driving in LFS

Dru's kit
Nikon D40
18-55mm AF-S II ED DX Nikkor
55-200mm AF-S ED-IF AF-S DX VR Nikkor
Hoya 52mm UV Filter
PrettyBoy Bag

Self Xmas Pressies
SB-800 Nikkor Speed Flash
Batteries + Battery Charger for SB-800
Tripod

Wooden Mushroom House
Flowers
Rose

Rock Shelf 1
Rock Shelf 2
Pebbles 1
Pebbles 2

Malawi 1
Malawi 2
Tang
Couple of shots I've done over the last few days. (Photos clickable, trying out Flickr).

The best I can do with the moon without a tripod.

Behind my house.....

And I have 3 of these in my yard. Should give me lots of bird shots this spring/summer.....

Quote from JTbo :Sun did not go above horizon level even at mid day, at best there is dark with blue shade in everything.

That brightest shot was taken at around 3pm, with flash it did look like this

Northern countries.. I should knew that.

Quote from Dru :Hi Guys,

Just seen this 'off-topic post'

WOW lots of people with lots of good quality shots.....

I'm new to Photography but here's what I've got and what I've taken with it in the few hours of sunshine that I'm not working or driving in LFS

Dru's kit
Nikon D40
18-55mm AF-S II ED DX Nikkor
55-200mm AF-S ED-IF AF-S DX VR Nikkor
Hoya 52mm UV Filter
PrettyBoy Bag

Self Xmas Pressies
SB-800 Nikkor Speed Flash
Batteries + Battery Charger for SB-800
Tripod

Hi Dru!
I like most of the "rose" photo of you, that photo is really good imo. Fishes are good too.
You have a good kit, VR lens is big +.

Quote from mrodgers :Couple of shots I've done over the last few days. (Photos clickable, trying out Flickr).

Good shots.
Back yard sunset is looks wonderful. It is also a bit over saturated to me, but anyway, it can be desktop bg
One thing is not clear for me, did you really took the "moon" photo without any support or without tripod?
Very VERY nice pictures. *Thumbs up*
Quote from halo :Good shots.
Back yard sunset is looks wonderful. It is also a bit over saturated to me, but anyway, it can be desktop bg
One thing is not clear for me, did you really took the "moon" photo without any support or without tripod?

Thanks, I purposely gave the sunset a bit of oversaturation to get more color in the snow. And, I took the moon without a tripod, but did brace my elbows on the railing of my porch. That was daytime that the moon was showing. I couldn't do that with a longer exposure in the evening/nighttime. That was the best of about 10 shots of the moon, most of which were VERY blurry.
Quote from halo :One thing is not clear for me, did you really took the "moon" photo without any support or without tripod?

You'd be surprised what sort of shutter speeds you could use to get the moon properly exposed. My best shot of the moon so far was ISO 100, f/7.1 and 1/320 secs shutter speed. OK, I did use a tripod, but only because I was in the back garden and I had one handy. Bump the ISO to 200 and you should be able to hand-hold that without a problem.
if you can't hand hold a 1/320 shot, you need to see a doctor
#169 - Don
holding a 1/320 with tele lens (~300mm and higher) is not the same as holding 1/320 with wide lens.

anyway, got my canon 50/1.8 recently, here are some tests http://don.vn.cz/temp/repo/2008_01_naru/
Quote from StewartFisher :You'd be surprised what sort of shutter speeds you could use to get the moon properly exposed. My best shot of the moon so far was ISO 100, f/7.1 and 1/320 secs shutter speed. OK, I did use a tripod, but only because I was in the back garden and I had one handy. Bump the ISO to 200 and you should be able to hand-hold that without a problem.

Ah, the pic links to just the large size on Flickr, which you need to travel around my Flickr site to find the exif data....

1/400 sec.
f/3.5 (my max and what it normally always sets in Program mode)
Focal length: 63.3 mm
ISO 64
Quote from StewartFisher :You'd be surprised what sort of shutter speeds you could use to get the moon properly exposed. My best shot of the moon so far was ISO 100, f/7.1 and 1/320 secs shutter speed. OK, I did use a tripod, but only because I was in the back garden and I had one handy. Bump the ISO to 200 and you should be able to hand-hold that without a problem.

As the things are related with each other in photography, if you take a big picture of the moon then it means whether non zoom but large mpixels camera is used (cropped photo) or zoom. When zoom used, better it has a low f value for lower ISO or scene must have enough light (if tripod not in use), with tripod, exposure time can be anything as necessary with lowest ISO.

Shooting the moon at night is not a big deal since it has enough light if compared to overall night photography, exposure time could be low and f could be higher than overall night shoots, but mrodgers took that photo at day light condition, moon light is more balanced with background, it is more difficult than shooting the moon at night time/dark sky with large zoom lens unless he has a very low f value hi-speed lens imo.
Quote from glyphon :if you can't hand hold a 1/320 shot, you need to see a doctor

Well, I was using a 300mm lens on my 400D, so that's a 35mm equivalent of 480mm...1/320 isn't so easy at that focal length!
Problem with moon and stars is that you really can't set insane exposure times, planet earth rotates and moves which makes it bit harder than one would except

Problem is that bright nights seem to be quite rare nowdays, there has been two good ones from october and only once I have been able to go out with my D40, no moon then and I did fail operating camera properly so all pics came out blurred

Hoping to see moon some evening so could try it a bit more
Night pictures aren't fun unless you're somewhere where there is very little atmosphere, and very little light polution. Because you'll get a really bright sky and just some white speckles where the stars are. Increasing exposure like they do on satellites is totally different, the satellites have no atmosphere to see through, thus all the light it picks up is from the starts. On a camera within an atmosphere it's going to pick up all that light pollution, thus making .. not pretty pictures.

If you don't want a blurry night sky go out and get a telescope that rotates with earth and attach your camera to it. That of course is an expensive alternative.

Otherwise, get a faster lens or increase your ISO.

Heck, attached is my picture of the moon I took with my dad's like '00 Olympus DSC through a telescope. Picture was taken in 2005, oh and by the way, that is the full frame, it wasn't cropped in any way.
Attached images
P5210050-2.jpg
We have that hole in ozonlayer here up north and luckily I'm going to northern part of country again soon (330 people village, next village is 120km to south), where nights are really dark as sun does not rise even at day, hopefully not cloudy then, at least other environmental aspects are pretty good then :P

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG