The online racing simulator
It worked good before, still works brilliant
Quote from Cue-Ball :Unless you downloaded the new lfsrestart.exe from the main forum, it don't think it's possible that it could take effect until the next patch is released.

Better late than never, thanks!
Quote from Scawen :
Physics :
Reduced clutch heating by 25%

I'm very happy with this in Patch X35, my clutch was heating up too fast, specially the XFG
Quote from GFresh :TBH, i hadn't noticed any Digital gauges dissapearing, they are all there, same as they were in X12(?)

Some cars still have digitals, but in alot of cars there is only analogue now.
Hmm, another update. Cheers!
Quote from Scawen : Clutch heat now reduced by 25%...

should keep some people happy
Now tested with XFR, clutch went red on lap 14, though I could still go on infinitely if I started lifting a little at that point (it cooled back to orange several times during continued lap 14 flatshifting). I guess, for me this means I'll never have to worry about clutch temp again, because the amount of abuse you need to put into the clutch to get it red during tarmac racing is quite phenomenal.

E: It does start gradually slipping more and more the nearer it comes to the red point, though. However, the effect on performance IMO rather minimal. Even more so on the TBO cars which get an extra benefit due to the upkeep of full turbo pressure. The slipping clutch might even make the car less nervous in flat out corners, as the torque spike going to the wheels is pretty much absorbed by the clutch.
Quote from kaynd :I did test it in BL2 and found it almost the same as before.

After a careful nth check I found that it cools down a bit faster.

Then, you should really start to practice your shifting. Since it seems it has been reduced very noticable.
Quote from kaynd :I don’t want to sound rude or something but are you sure the produced heat decreased by 25% because I can’t find any difference at all :ashamed:
(Maybe the clutch grips a bit better at the point it becomes red, comparing to the previews version, but the difference is barely noticeable.)

Yes, definitely reduced by a quarter. It doesn't grip better at any point, it just heats up less quickly.
Quote from Renku :Where are they, not in my LFS folder at least..
I mean X30_TO_X35

You must manually install the new LFS_restart.exe from the thread in the main forum section.
New clutch is much improved. Almost 15 5000-6000rpm slow starts in XRT before clutch went red. This, IMO, is far more realistic. Taking off in some cars now causes no clutch heat, which is more like real life (IRL, after 1 start, your clutch will NOT be "dangerously hot", as implied by the orange bar).
Quote :Reduced clutch heating by 25%

:chairs:
Scawen, when do we get an updated version of InSim.txt? The current version seems to be missing the new stuff. Or am I getting it wrong? I'm quite confused atm.
I can't download this test patch in lfs :/

look this image
Attached images
wtf.png
wtf2.png
Did you try more than one server?
Yes, and I always mark the same message ...
Quote from Cue-Ball :Did you try more than one server?

Or even try to restart if it's still not working.

What patch were you on?
Ah you're treating us nicelly with latest updates!

Very welcome improvements Scawen!
Nice to see that you're listening the feedback
I confirm that the clutch lasts much more in road courses than it did before.
It doesn’t seem to heat up in a slower rate, but it cools down way faster than before. (ok that’s my wrong impression as i now saw what Scawen wrote at the previews page)
This keeps easily the clutch cool even by flat shifting for 4-5laps at a road track but it doesn’t help in rallyx mode

But anyway it seems that clutch's increased heat "resistance" is not the solution on it's own for the enormous stress that forces the clutch slipping by all that frequent loss and regain of grip that happens in rallyx tracks.

Quote from Dillyracer :Then, you should really start to practice your shifting. Since it seems it has been reduced very noticable.

Try bl Rally x with the xfg... the clutch still goes red after 4 laps.
Quote from kaynd :But anyway it seems that clutch's increased heat "resistance" is not the solution on it's own for the enormous stress that forces the clutch slipping by all that frequent loss and regain of grip that happens in rallyx tracks.

This isn't supposed to be a solution. It's just a temporary fix until Scawen can address the clutch and engine simulation later. Hopefully, later he can make it so the clutches don't slip unless you're riding the pedal. My guess is that because the cars in LFS have totally rigid bodies and no simulated engine mounts, that too much force is being absorbed by the clutch when it would normally disperse into other areas of a real car.
Yeah, there are many other factors that aren’t simulated at all, so maybe the clutch model is ok and is being super uber stressed in some cases by all other super rigid components.
Quote from kaynd :Yeah, there are many other factors that aren’t simulated at all, so maybe the clutch model is ok and is being super uber stressed in some cases by all other super rigid components.

It went red in the 6th lap, but cooled down pretty fast again. I didn't have too much problems with the heat it reached neither.
Well, I guess we can leave the clutch in this state for patch Y. It doesn't really fix the "rallycross problem", but it should make it a bit more manageable than pre-X35, though XFG drivers definitely won't be able to full throttle through the course and expect a working clutch after 5+ laps.

The only way to really cook the clutch on road racing seems to be bad starts or extreme abuse. For G25 owners who at least make a half-assed attempt at lifting every third shift, the clutch heat might as well not exist. Don't know about the autoclutch situation, trying stupid things like launching at full throttle from 2nd gear probably still fry the clutch quick enough.
If the rallycross issue isn't actually solved by this, I'm inclined to restore it to the X33 level, which seems to work well in most situations.

I'm still trying to think what could be changed so that the rallycross problem is solved without this reduction.

So a question, is the XF GTI bad in other situations, not only rallycross? And if so, do some other cars seem to suffer worse than others? Maybe the XF GTI basically needs a stronger clutch if that's the case. I look forward to hearing your reports on that, so I can try to understand how that car can be worse than others and so figure out some way to make them stronger on some cars on some kind of reasonable mathematical / physical basis.
I don't think it will "solve" the problem, but it should help.

Edit: I know you want to punish flatshifting, but I don't think this is the method to use. We've lived with people exploiting that advantage for this long. We can continue to live with it until you can figure out how to make the clutch work realistically.
cool!, no longer clutch warming (quiclky) ...
This thread is closed

TEST Patch X30 (to X38)
(1444 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG