The online racing simulator
TEST Patch X30 (to X38)
(1444 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Patussay :Great improvements ^^
but i am a bit confused... it's just me or is a bit weird that in a 7800gt, athlon 64 3700+ the game gets slow 30/40 fps with 14 people at the start grid on blackwood? (to be specific :P)

Same thing here. Two weeks ago I used 6600GT and got around 60-80 fps with a large grid (patch X10). Now I have 8600GT (other card died) and it is slower whatever settings I use (in game and in nvidia drivers).
Quote from AndreABG :when locking up the wheels the engine should stall (I don't think somebodys that fast on the clutch because you don't want to lock up normaly) - so when braking with locked wheels untill 0mph the engine should be off?

It does (assuming you lock all the driven wheels of course)

Then it starts again when the wheels unlock, since the ignition is on.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :It does (assuming you lock all the driven wheels of course)

Then it starts again when the wheels unlock, since the ignition is on.

But are we actually sure that this is happening? I know that it's pretty darn easy to clutch-in to prevent stalling the car, even when it gets down to only a few hundred RPM. Given the clutch and engine behavior, it wouldn't surprise me if the wheels were locking up but the clutch was slipping enough for the engine to keep running.

I'm sure that it will be addressed in a future patch anyway, but I have a feeling it's not really working as we assume it is.
i can't unlock x38? it says "wrong version".
Quote from Cue-Ball :But are we actually sure that this is happening? I know that it's pretty darn easy to clutch-in to prevent stalling the car, even when it gets down to only a few hundred RPM. Given the clutch and engine behavior, it wouldn't surprise me if the wheels were locking up but the clutch was slipping enough for the engine to keep running.

I'm sure that it will be addressed in a future patch anyway, but I have a feeling it's not really working as we assume it is.

Fair enough, I guess I haven't tested it subsequent to the latest clutch mods, but the clutches are supposed to be even stronger now so I can't see that not working. Lock the wheels completely for a sec, THEN declutch, and you should note the engine stalled. Then reengage the clutch and off you go. At least it worked in the initial patch, I know that for sure.
Quote from Juls :Same thing here. Two weeks ago I used 6600GT and got around 60-80 fps with a large grid (patch X10). Now I have 8600GT (other card died) and it is slower whatever settings I use (in game and in nvidia drivers).

The new South City and Blackwood use much higher res textures now. Also the Formula BMW has more polygons than any other car.

Do you get a better frame rate if you turn down the texture resolution?

Quote from kingfag :i can't unlock x38? it says "wrong version".

Sorry, it will work now.
Wow, it's amazing how fast Scawen works and releases new fixes

By the way, I noticed a thing using a sidewinder gamepad pro:
I need to press an analogue axis (the analogue directional pad) to "activate" the controller in game, the buttons simply don't work before that.
(i.e. I start an hotlapping session, accelerate [with a digital button] and nothing happens, then I steer [analogue axis] and everything works.)

I don't know neither if this is the right place to talk about this "problem" nor if I explained myself in a decent way but I hope so ^^ (my english is not perfect, I know :shy
Quote from Napalm Candy :Problem with some textures in Blackwood and south city. With X38 patch (and older)

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6527/x38southcity1te9.jpg
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2506/x38southcity2nr9.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3919/x38blackwood1kz6.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/my ... mage=x38blackwood1ca1.jpg
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7759/x38blackwood2wt3.jpg

EDIT by Scawen : Removed IMG tags (some people get quite angry about big IMG as they pay for bandwidth)

Somehow you are missing textures. Looks like you missed one of the big patches.

Anyway, we are in the process of uploading ONE patch that goes from X to X38, for anyone who comes along and gets it for the first time this evening. You could get that and it will fix the problem. It will be ready in about 90 minutes or so, maybe 2 hours.
Quote from Juls :Same thing here. Two weeks ago I used 6600GT and got around 60-80 fps with a large grid (patch X10). Now I have 8600GT (other card died) and it is slower whatever settings I use (in game and in nvidia drivers).

6600GT here, (3.0GHz P4 64bit, 512MB DDR400 so the rest of the machine is hardly to notch) and I get 90fps at 1280x1024 with 2x AA and 2x AF. Around 40 with 6 AI on the grid so I have no problems. Try to clean up your system up a bit an optimize the settings in Graphics (don't render things in the mirror if you don't need them, adjust the LODs a bit and so on). I've actually not tested any of the other tracks since the patch (I love the new SO and BL too much ) but I was getting the same FPS everywhere else before the patch.

Also, it's possible that the updated tracks strain your system more than the old ones and your GPU is overheating. Clean your GPU fan - I had that problem a while back.
Quote from Scawen :Somehow you are missing textures. Looks like you missed one of the big patches.

There aren`t any textures with those filenames...
OT: unseen - BEST AVATAR EVER.
Quote from unseen :There aren`t any textures with those filenames...

Of course there are:
Attached images
CityTextures.png
Doh, head`s right up my arse today. I`m looking in the wrong install.

Thanks Android
Quote from Scawen :The new South City and Blackwood use much higher res textures now. Also the Formula BMW has more polygons than any other car.

Do you get a better frame rate if you turn down the texture resolution?

I was using a texture pack already with the previous card and total texture size was 60MB. Disabling full res textures almost does not change the framerate, but number of visible cars has a big influence.

To exclude BMW F02 poly counts and AI/netcode influence I started a solo game with 19 AI on fern bay and FZ50 and then I pause the game to have only pure display framerate. FPS varies between 110 and 25 depending how many cars are visible (I switch view from car to car while in pause)

Then, if I switch to windowed mode with the window covering the entire screen...FPS increases a lot!(145-41).
And if I play fullscreen, but keep the nvidia control panel opened with the nvidia green logo in directX turning in the background...I get increased framerate too! (145-41). 30% fps increase!

Note: I use 2560x1024 resolution

Forgot to say: thank you for the amazing amount of work.
PS: If you pause the game, it won't show the real performance because physics and sound processing are turned off.
Quote from AndroidXP :PS: If you pause the game, it won't show the real performance because physics and sound processing are turned off.

And AI too.
Yes it was done to measure pure-display performance. In pause I am sure the fps increase/drop I see comes from changes I do in graphic settings.
Now when not in pause with 19 AI about to start, there is a fps increase too (50 max - 14 min with different cameras) -> (60 max - 19 min) when nvidia control panel open in background.
It is still 20-35% fps increase. Seems that when DirectX device is re-created, something happens.
-
(mcgas001) DELETED by mcgas001 : Found the error, my bad
As the speedos are being modified quite a lot these days I was wondering if it would be possible to have car specific settings concerning the colors of the displays (needles and characters).
Indeed I would love to be able to set a a color for each car since they fit more or less well to each "philosophy" of car.
Thank you all for your contributions and testing.

I've now made a single patch which is exactly the same as the various patches that got you from X to X38.

I've made a new thread for that. The purpose of that is so people who come along this evening and try the test patch for the first time, will be testing something that is very close to the final Patch Y.

Note, you won't gain anything by downloading X to X38 patch, if you already have X30 or later. Just use the auto updater.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=35520

I'll now close this 49 page, 1457 post thread! Thanks!
This thread is closed

TEST Patch X30 (to X38)
(1444 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG