The online racing simulator
changeable rims
(88 posts, started )
Tristan, you're not missing a steel bar are you? If you are I can see the end of one peeking out of your ass.

A modern wheel with a pneumatic tire is actually a 2 part assembly. The tire, and what I guess one might call a "wheel" if they were into naming parts recursively. For lack of confusion as to whether speaking about the whole unit or a specific part, some go back to the days of wire wheels and refer to the part the tire is mounted on a "rim".
A wheel is a wheel. It's made of metal (usually), and has a tyre on it. The rim is the little bit on the edge that stops the tyre coming off.

A wheel and tyre is just that - a wheel and a tyre. A wheel assembly if you will.

The modding 'Max Power' scene, however, have made incorrect terms common. Rim is not, and never has been, the correct term for a wheel. People who 'know about cars' never use the term - only fools and 'tuners'.
Quote from col :I have to disagree there
I guess that Scawen has always intended to have a variety of different tyre types (physically different rather than just aesthetically), so when he wrote the code for adding a logo it was a no-brainer to make it selectable - don't want to have to re-write it in the future.
Conversely, he probably doesn't intend to have different alloy compositions for wheels, and the difference in rigidity between different designs is subtle enough that its insignificant for a current PC sim.... so there is no similar reason to have changable rims.

@ the guys who are saying they want to have a purely aesthetic choice of rim, but 'not rice', thats ridiculous !

You guys obviously just wanna pimp up your ricemobiles - just remember, IT WON'T MAKE YOU ANY FASTER !!!
:riceboy:
My guess is it will probably come at some stage - when there is a big update to graphics code most likely... in a few years ?
IMO its not important enough to do until that code needs other work done to it at some point...

cheers

Col

But don't you think it's a bit ridiculous to have swappable stickers on tyres, or, if you want to look at it another way, a variety of identical tyres from different 'manufacturers' for each car?
(Regardless of what is going to come.) And btw what would be the point, and what would be the real-life example series that validates it, of having a choice of brand of tyre? It's nonsense. If that is the ultimate intention then I'll be lost for words, might as well have a choice of engine.

It would have been way better if the tyres used by certain cars were Michelin tyres, even if just by brand name, it would have seemed much more meaningful and serious. You can even change the brand name on the F1 tyres!

Changing the stickers on tyres is, however you look at it, stupid. The option, when/if it's implemented, to choose from a selection of brands of tyre, in the setup options, in what is meant to be a competition, if not racing car, is also stupid. If the cars are all factory machines then yes changing wheels probably wouldn't happen. But, to echo my original point, if the LFS world of racing is messed up enough to allow different tyre brands, or tyre manufacturers, or tyre stickers, to be available to each car within this world, then changing wheels on factory machines doesn't seem too weird at all.

OT: LFS needs to step towards serious replication of real life series' in my opinion. It needs to decide what the classification and purpose of each car is, find a real world example, give it setup options and tyre options to suit, do away with LHD/RHD unless the equivalent real life car race-car is available as both. IMO. /ot
Quote from tristancliffe :A wheel is a wheel. It's made of metal (usually), and has a tyre on it. The rim is the little bit on the edge that stops the tyre coming off.

A wheel and tyre is just that - a wheel and a tyre. A wheel assembly if you will.

The modding 'Max Power' scene, however, have made incorrect terms common. Rim is not, and never has been, the correct term for a wheel. People who 'know about cars' never use the term - only fools and 'tuners'.

And people who werent lucky enough to either to be English native speakers,and the fact that even native speakers are like you mentioned.
The files that the wheels are stored in are .rim files, so I guess rims is not such a bad way to describe it.

There are no equivalent race cars so, LHD and RHD all around then? Nice.
Like the idea of changeable rims. Simply for variety, as Gunn said.
And also, some of the curent rims are ugly. Not enought serious for serious racing cars, imo.
road cars yes the race cars no

+1 for the above I think its a little obvious this is probally on the way with bespoke already released.

also tristancliffe you are VERY narrowminded
#58 - Gunn
Quote from RaVeR :I think its a little obvious this is probally on the way with bespoke already released.

BeSpoke has been around for several years already.
i think there are more important things at the moment.

on the other side i think bespoke only works for three cars only (i dont use it but thats what i read)

i think what could be better is if LFS could render a more metalic color in the wheel/reflections, like what you see on the 3D renders section. =P
Quote from Thunderhead :And people who werent lucky enough to either to be English native speakers,and the fact that even native speakers are like you mentioned.

+1

But I can´t see how it´s "luck" to be native english speaker, because then you come from ..... forget it.

And don´t be angry about tristan. He is just a little boy with a racecar and he has to tell everybody that he knows all and everything and only his opinion counts. Just forgive him. =)
I would like to see various rims,like in rally lets say,different rims on tarmac,and different on mud,would look cool on road cars,specially on rb4

+1
Quote from Gunn :BeSpoke has been around for several years already.

I know that but it seems a little easy to change the wheels with it im just thinking its a hint the devs might want to put this in lfs in the future.
Quote from RaVeR :also tristancliffe you are VERY narrowminded

No, I just don't suffer fools gladly.
Quote from e2mustang :I would like to see various rims,like in rally lets say,different rims on tarmac,and different on mud,would look cool on road cars,specially on rb4

+1

oh my (dont flame for the next 5 words please) WILL SOMEONE THINK OF DRIFTERS?
if a rally tyre (hybrid for example) is going to be on a ugly 15 inch wheel it won't look good...
I drift, and mostly - hybrid tyres, because they produce more smoke then normals...I want nice wheels, not small gravel heavy duty ones
Quote from Calvinaquino :i think what could be better is if LFS could render a more metalic color in the wheel/reflections, like what you see on the 3D renders section. =P

Yea. Plus 1 for that. The body reflection is awsome, but the rims' are so basic.
+1 to this idea , im sick of having to explain that your cars all good with tons of power but when a type/rim/ssuspention go's you f***** hence why you should be able to pick between differant dezigns , each with good and bad points

its just another step towards making a lfs a sim
Quote from theirishnoob :+1 to this idea , im sick of having to explain that your cars all good with tons of power but when a type/rim/ssuspention go's you f***** hence why you should be able to pick between differant dezigns , each with good and bad points

its just another step towards making a lfs a sim

In English?

My attempt: "I am sick of having to explain to you that your car is good, with lots of power. But when a rim/suspension causes you to 'become worse off' [where is the rest of this sentence?]. Hence you should be able to pick between different designs, each with good and bad points.

Erm, no. It doesn't work like that in real life. In real life you are tied to a particular wheel size by the tyres in your race series, and the rules that govern it. I can't put 17 inch wheels on my Reynard, because I have to use 13 inch slicks. We use Magnesium wheels, for reduced inertia and unsprung weight. We would not see an advatage by going to any other wheel. It fits our tyres. It's light. It bolts to the car. Going lighter will just change the mass ratios, meaning our spring/dampers settings will be worse. It will cost a lot. It might find me 0.01 seconds per lap.

In rallying they use different wheels depending on the tyres - narrow ones for studded tyres, wider ones for tarmac rallies. Apart from slight brake cooling changes, the wheels are dictated by the tyres. So rather than 'have a choice', just give the different offroad tyres a slightly different wheel diameter.

The only reason to choose reasons is for looks, and that is 99% rice territory.

[off topic]I don't think I've ever seen you explain how a car is good with lots of power btw. You don't seem to know much about cars at all.
This dump truck has lots of power, would you drive it around the 'ring?

Yes
Skins in LFS are already at least as outlandish as some rims could be. How often do you see skins as we have for the road cars in reality?
There's no doubt that rims can be made to either break the laws of physics and/or just look retarded. Nonetheless there could be some restraints put in place to allow for either sharing of user-made wheels (as skin textures are now) or simply allowing it to be part of the rest of the realtime player information (RGB skin base color, driver position, etc). The former would be more adapted to human filtering, whereas the latter could be automatic provided Scawen (for example) arbitrarily coded some restrictions as there could be for the forced-cockpit camera settings (albeit a lot more complex).

And if you don't care for the custom rims, you could just turn them off and never have to suffer their sight... Everybody's happy (except Scawen if it really is that complicated to code).
+1 for this suggestion, just for the looks. I wan't my FZR to run on BBS LM style wheels because any other wheel just looks wrong. UF1/UFR could do with some Minilite look-a-likes etc.

Give 2 or 3 sensible designs for each car and the grids would look more alive.

Quote from tristancliffe :In English?
The only reason to choose reasons is for looks, and that is 99% rice territory.

[off topic]I don't think I've ever seen you explain how a car is good with lots of power btw. You don't seem to know much about cars at all.

why don't you get off your high horse and stop flaming everyone..

Not everyone who changes thier RIMS is a ricer
Quote from RaVeR :Not everyone who changes thier RIMS is a ricer

How do you change the rims? Seems very difficult to do. You are better off just buying new wheels. Changing the rims would ruin the structural integrity of the wheel.
Quote from wheel4hummer :How do you change the rims? Seems very difficult to do. You are better off just buying new wheels. Changing the rims would ruin the structural integrity of the wheel.

i said rims on purpose
Quote from RaVeR :why don't you get off your high horse and stop flaming everyone..

Not everyone who changes thier RIMS is a ricer

My high horse is comfy and I like it.

It is not WRONG of me to hope that people learn to use the correct terminology, and it is not WRONG of me to want all chavs and ricers killed dead (okay, maybe that's a bit wrong, but you get my point).

Why should I lower my principles for a few (but growing number) of idiots who don't know the difference between a wheel and a rim.

Plus I find it amusing a) being petty to those who should know better and b) watching you squirm.

changeable rims
(88 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG