The online racing simulator
Quote from Hyperactive :I'm sorry to say this but imho it sounds bad, even worse than it did. Accelerating the UFR from a standstill for example. And all the cars sound way too similar... I'm all for the gearbox sound whines but it just doesn't sound good. A moped is what I hear with U32.

What LFS sounds lack before this patch and after it is the engine tone on the higher revs. It lacks all the exciting noise that makes an engine sound an engine.

Sorry, I'm sticking whit the U version, (or the U30). I kndly ask you to work little more with the sound, please

Was coming here to post exactly that Hyper. Agree with you fully... yes the gear whine is nice, but the rest is just (sorry) nonsense. The BF1 is worst of all... to be honest Im a little disappointed that this BF1 sound is even approved and released... I had a little more faith in devs and bèta testers. This is not even close to the Forti Corse V8 F1 we've seen on track ages ago...
What the cars need (in my opinion, and no I don't say I can do this myself) is a powerful, aggressive sound. High pitched, screaming kind of sounds... not the low buzzing and humming as it is now... I want the feeling that Im actually going FAST, sense of speed is missing.

Maybe it is something to get used to, but damn, what a pity, Im truely dissapointed.
Quote from Shotglass :even with the boost set to its maximum the skid sounds are barely audible

Same here, hard to hear with skid on max and engine turned down.

Not liking the GTR sounds much, sorry.
Geez, listen carefully guys... This is a huge step in the right direction. The turbochargers sound like... turbochargers now! Air rushing in, much more accurate turbine sound, the engines are completely beleiveable at all RPMs now, much less synthetic sounding.

The only things I would would wonder is - where is most of the high(er) frequency content... LFS has always had a muffled sound even before, and now that the sounds are improved (they ARE improved, that's for sure!) this is even more apparant. Also, some stereo separation for the car sounds (your own car - engine / whines etc) would make everything sublime even as it is now! Even just the stereo "presence" would make you feel like you're sitting in the car and more attached and immersed. There's no question at all that they are FAR better than before; if you stick with U30..... you're illepall
#79 - axus
After getting an unlock and hearing all the cars...

The BF1 sounds seem to have a bug.
The cars sound way too similar.
The gear whine does sound wrong IMO.

As for the skid sounds, they sound a lot more muffled in cars that have a roof. I'd just like to confirm whether that's some attempt to make the sounds seem like they're coming from outside on some cars and so forth.

Having said all that, I feel there's been a general step forward in sounds but I hope that this is not the end of it for now. I'd really like to see LFS sound "great" for a change. There have been general improvements over time but I don't think the job was ever finished properly - ie. there's been a sense of "oh ok, this sounds better - it will do for now". I hope that isn't offensive because it isn't meant to be and it certainly isn't something that runs through the game, its mainly with sounds.
#80 - SamH
Guys.. it's the first time out of the box for LFS with this new system. Nobody's required (or surely even expected!) to like the first rendition of the new sounds. If someone doesn't like them on their first outing, they surely can say so!?

I'm enjoying the new sounds in MOST cars, but some of them definitely need work. The most important thing is that it's a massive advance in core LFS technology.. and it opens the door to future sound enhancements.

TEST patch, guys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOJ4vRCy1Y

I know its not that easy to do it but maybe the cars should sound somehow like this

For me the old BF1 sound was maybe the best of all LFS car sounds, interesting that it had the biggest change.
I've added an unlock for all licensed racers now. That means, everyone has at least one unlock spare.
Maybe it's some getting used to, maybe it's my soundcard, but from my first impression I think some of the engine sounds still need a update before going official. If only to prevent a flood of complaint threads.

It seems like some cars have gained something, but the road ones sound... wrong... to me. Also the BF1 sounded more like a F1 car before, not that I drive it much (at all). Every car seems to sound somewhat the same, too.

This is only talking about engine sounds - everything else is fine by me so far. Skid sounds are much quieter and much more like I'd expect them to be in reality, and at the same time you hear them louder in an open roof car, and slicks also sound different than road tyres. This is a definite improvement towards realism

Overall I'd say make some good use of the auto-updater to improve sounds before releasing V, other than that I've yet to find something to complain about.
#84 - Omen
Very nice new patch.

But i dont like the new sound.
I would describe why, if i could speak better english.
-
(KiDCoDEa) DELETED by KiDCoDEa
Test patch or no...the sounds are rubbish...it feels like i am sitting in a pool filled with water...terrible...
What about making a special thread for people to discuss if they like/dislike the new sound system. imo test patch threads should be used only to report problems/bugs/crashes etc. so sc can work them out by reading facts rather than reading opinions.

Quote from Omen :Very nice new patch.

But i dont like the new sound.
I would describe why, if i could speak better english.

schreib in deutsch, wird sich schon einer finden der das übersetzt
write in german, there are enough ppl who can translate
(like me )
I don't like the sounds , they are so similar.. even BF1 sound was changed ... im depressed
Quote from ORION :What about making a special thread for people to discuss if they like/dislike the new sound system. imo test patch threads should be used only to report problems/bugs/crashes etc. so sc can work them out by reading facts rather than reading opinions.

It's ok. if I make another thread, people will still post in this one. Sounds are the main thing so let's allow people to discuss it on this thread if they like. It would be easier to strip out the first two pages into a new thread in a few days time if needed, than to make a special thread then try to move nearly every new post into the "right" place.
after playing around for a few secs with all cars:

- theres something seriously wrong with the bf1
- same for the fxo it doesnt sound like a car
- improvements on all other cars
- still no change in engine note across the rev band
- transmission it too strong on the highs and to low in the lows and doesnt change enough with varying load

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Geez, listen carefully guys... This is a huge step in the right direction. The turbochargers sound like... turbochargers now! Air rushing in, much more accurate turbine sound, the engines are completely beleiveable at all RPMs now, much less synthetic sounding.

im starting to believe lfs has some sound card compatibility issues now ... i dont hear the turbos at all with u32
Not liking the sound IS a problem.

By the amount of complaints i'm seeing and suggestions about better sounds it is a good idea that a thread with suggestions on what can be bettered.

Csimpok - We can all dream.....

EDIT : Oh I see, post in here it is.
It's a start, but far from a finish sound wise.

Gear change is good, let's make it scarier and louder on the race cars........Ive been to over a dozen IRL/Cart races and the snap of the gear change is always amazing.....loud like a small lightning strike.

I have to agree with the BF1 being the biggest letdown since it was the one car that had half decent sound before... ....As fore mentioned the sound needs a few more layers, exaust and high end gear/motor sounds perhaps. It really is missing the higher pitched sounds like BBT said.

Race cars sound like they are going explode any minute when going full out, not like you have a bunch of wet towels wraped around your head
#92 - Mc21
Has the virtual mirror gone? Also I want to update back to my custom horn's and skid sound.. Since it's all in sound not snd.. It doesn't work either way.. still the default ones.
Quote from Mc21 :Has the virtual mirror gone? Also I want to update back to my custom horn's and skid sound.. Since it's all in sound not snd.. It doesn't work either way.. still the default ones.

You have to use wav's now (in "sound" folder, not "snd")
Had a quick go in the XFG and I also don't like the new sound system. It makes me feel like its pressurized inside the cockpit or something, I'm frantically trying to wind down a window :P. The whining sound made me chuckle, sounds like I'm going to take off any second. Maybe this is how race cars sound in reality from inside the cockpit, but all I know is it started giving me a headache.
I feel bit weirdo, when i say, i like new sounds more than old ones.
Maybe it needs some small improvements but...it's very good!
Oh and excuse my "english".
Loving the update. Even if its only a minor change, any sounds that sound different are a nice addition.

Agreed with the BF1 sounding a bit naff, but otherwise a good update.
#97 - axus
I've been driving the LX6 and I'm finding it much easier to drive and I actually know what's going on. I agree with Jeff's comment about the need for a more stereo-like sound - I'm sure that the engine note somehow changes pan with rpm because of different cylinders firing and so forth. That would be hell to simulate in real time but maybe something that can be done with a simple wave, I dunno. It'd take some looking into but it would add so much to the sounds because of it varying with RPM etc. Again, I also agree with him about the cars sounding muffled, they need more shrieking high pitched sounds.

About the tyre sounds, I think they sound too muffled in roofed cars and too shrieky in open-topped cars.

Lastly, sorry I'm making a bahzillion posts but there's just too much of a gap between posts to just go back and edit the old one and I think (hope) I'm adding something to the discussion.
For me, the engine sound is a bit quiet when just idling. In some of the cars it's barely audible until 3k revs or so, even with the volume up to 10.0.
ok...first of all i like to see that ur working on the sounds
but...
main problems:
the sound in general (not only the car sound) is dully/mustily (hopfully the translator didnt trick me here!).
secondly as few times said, at least the roadcars sound very simmiliar to eachother and cars like the XFG sound just out of order :/
it seems like the more power u have the louder the car is?
the UF1 is hard to hear but the LX's practically scream! (i know RPM's but the the volume in general is alot higher).
also, the only car where i could hear the gear changing sound is the FZR, needs to be adjustable (for every car custom setting).
and as alot ppl i have the problem that i can barely hear the tires.
skid sound is all the way up but yea
anyway im sure lfs is on the right way
IMO, all engine sounds are synthetic, muffled, spongy potato mash, and are too loud in comparison to other sounds. With engine sound at the minimum setting in LFS, and in Windows at such level that it's comfortable in LFS the engine is still overpowering. Can't hear tyre squeals etc. properly. Give us settings for other sound vols too, or reduce engine volume, please.

I realise this had to be a compatible patch, and Scawen has said only a minor tweak is possible. I pray that the sound engine will be thought through again, and completely reworked in future incompatible patches before S2 final ships, because at the moment they are just so very bleh.
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG