The online racing simulator
What is happening in Ukraine?
(436 posts, closed, started )

Poll : Do you think Russia has the right to invade / defend Ukraine?

No
Yes
#101 - FIZ
Quote from bishtop :Video showing a Russian Soldier that has been captured stating that they had been under the impression that Ukraine had been under facist power which he had realised was not the case.

https://youtu.be/nAvV8jSEpVs

In the video description his name "Lieutenant Colonel Astakhov Dmitry Mikhailovich begged for forgiveness in a press conference after he was captured, saying he was under the impression Ukraine was under the grip of a fascist regime."

Now google it "Панасюк Ярослав Фёдорович" Here is first link https://lugpost.ru/baza-prestupnikov/61298-panasyuk-yaroslav-fedorovich.html
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Unfortunately, free speech is complete myth. It was never really allowed, and never will be.

What do you mean?
All human rights are a social construct, they have no material value, its do not fly somewhere in the air that they could point a finger at them. In this sense they are all a myth. But when people talk about human rights, like the the right to freedom of speech, they talk about principles or beliefs about the treaty to which we must adhere. There is nothing absolute. Based on this, there is no absolute freedom of speech.
But everything I have described above is trivial judgments. You probably meant something else. Then explain your position.

Quote from bishtop :Free speech should never be an excuse for any type of hate speech, otherwise it allows things like racism ect

How then can we fight racism, ban it and it will disappear by itself? Do you really believe this is how it works? What I know is that many people, purely out of curiosity, or out of hatred for a regime that bans beliefs, begin to pay attention to those things that were banned. The Forbidden fruit is sweet.
In the Soviet Union, all sources of information except Soviet propaganda were banned, so many began to tune their radios to foreign news radio stations and began to believe them. This is how bans work in practice. When you start to forbid something, it is very easy to get carried away.
Left liberals first talked about human rights and freedoms, and now they are banning other people and ruining their cayers, perhaps soon there will be laws for this too. J.K. Rowling canceled, accused transphobia in the Harry Potter book, singer Lana Del Rey canceled, accused anti-feminism because of her songs. Do you think it should be like this? Or should more be allowed? Or less? Why? By making a distinction between what should be allowed and what should be prohibited, and wherever we do it aren't we making an arbitrary and unreasonable distinction?
Quote from Alexsandr_124rus :J.K. Rowling canceled, accused transphobia in the Harry Potter book

Oh it's not just accused. She's doubled down hard about being a TERF. It's not "accused transphobia" it's just "transphobia".

She also clearly hasn't been cancelled if people still have to hear her dangerous hateful shit takes. She's also not "ruined" as she can just go wipe her tears in her olympic sized pool full of money.

Full "freedom of speech" is part of the issues in the US, including free displays of hate.
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :
How then can we fight racism, ban it and it will disappear by itself? Do you really believe this is how it works? What I know is that many people, purely out of curiosity, or out of hatred for a regime that bans beliefs, begin to pay attention to those things that were banned. The Forbidden fruit is sweet.
In the Soviet Union, all sources of information except Soviet propaganda were banned, so many began to tune their radios to foreign news radio stations and began to believe them. This is how bans work in practice. When you start to forbid something, it is very easy to get carried away.
Left liberals first talked about human rights and freedoms, and now they are banning other people and ruining their cayers, perhaps soon there will be laws for this too. J.K. Rowling canceled, accused transphobia in the Harry Potter book, singer Lana Del Rey canceled, accused anti-feminism because of her songs. Do you think it should be like this? Or should more be allowed? Or less? Why? By making a distinction between what should be allowed and what should be prohibited, and wherever we do it aren't we making an arbitrary and unreasonable distinction?

Racism is banned/illegal, at least in the Uk , and no it does not make it disappear totally, it does force it into the shadows. You cannot discriminate someone due to race or religion in the UK

There are movements/groups that promote it but usually either in the shadows or they mask it with a different agenda

Are you saying that racism should not be illegal or banned ?
Its possible that i'm misreading what you're saying as you don't seem like that type of person
Quote from dfgjkl :In the video description his name "Lieutenant Colonel Astakhov Dmitry Mikhailovich begged for forgiveness in a press conference after he was captured, saying he was under the impression Ukraine was under the grip of a fascist regime."

Now google it "Панасюк Ярослав Фёдорович" Here is first link https://lugpost.ru/baza-prestupnikov/61298-panasyuk-yaroslav-fedorovich.html

Its not even the same guy, look at the attached photo. Following the link you posted which directs you to a facebook profile. That guy has a receded hair line(bald apart from the side and back of his head(1st photo). Where as the guy in the youtube video does not have this(2nd photo).

Nose is totally different also, the site you linked is a known misinformation website.

The following link is the Offical Ukrainian website for Russians to find captured or search for those KIA,

https://200rf.com

If wanting to view from Russia i believe you have to either use a VPN or use their Telegram page
Attached images
95818044_2287123358250522_8982826646776053760_n.jpg
image_2022-03-07_220246.png
Quote from gu3st :dangerous hateful

You make it absolutely impossible to take you seriously.
Quote from bishtop :Racism is banned/illegal, at least in the Uk , and no it does not make it disappear totally, it does force it into the shadows. You cannot discriminate someone due to race or religion in the UK

There are movements/groups that promote it but usually either in the shadows or they mask it with a different agenda

Are you saying that racism should not be illegal or banned ?
Its possible that i'm misreading what you're saying as you don't seem like that type of person

I did not ask you how things are with the society and the law in your country. I asked - how it should be according to you? At different times in different societies there were the different variety of laws, and their existence is not an argument. In the 30s there was a law in Germany that Jews are not people, and therefore they can be killed, there was such a law, did you think it was right? If not, then I don’t understand why you wrote how it happens in your country. An appeal to the law is not an argument, just like to public morality. If you didn't answer on my questions, why should I answer yours?
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :What do you mean?
All human rights are a social construct, they have no material value, its do not fly somewhere in the air that they could point a finger at them. In this sense they are all a myth. But when people talk about human rights, like the the right to freedom of speech, they talk about principles or beliefs about the treaty to which we must adhere. There is nothing absolute. Based on this, there is no absolute freedom of speech.
But everything I have described above is trivial judgments. You probably meant something else. Then explain your position.

No need to. Your comment explains it well. It is how my perspective and my "belief" sees this as whole.
As a part owner of a discussion forum, I can confirm that absolutely free speech would be a disaster. As bishtop mentions, the example of racism is a good one, because we can both understand the absurdity of it, and also have a clear picture in our minds of people participating in racism of various levels.

To be fairly specific, if it is 'allowed' on your forum for people to use racial slurs and insult people of different cultures or skin tones, and you had a policy to allow such talk in the interests of free speech, you would end up with a sickening place for far right extremists to push their sick-minded agenda.

Allowing such places to exist is not good in any way. Apart from the general ugliness of it and the damaging effect on the people in the groups who are the brunt of such comments, it would actually serve to spread such disgusting beliefs to borderline people who might not have otherwise swung that way.

So... no, for practical reasons and in the interests of promoting healthy discussion, it's not actually OK to allow unmoderated speech of any kind by whatever sicko wants to spew their hatred in their desperate attempt to make a mark on the world despite their sad inadequacy.
Quote from gu3st :Oh it's not just accused. She's doubled down hard about being a TERF. It's not "accused transphobia" it's just "transphobia".

Although I don't want to get involved in an off topic conversation, I would simply like to paste a link in JK Rowling's defence. It's a piece written by her addressing these attacks and I really hope you have read it. She's not even anti-trans but is simply trying to address legitimate concerns about biological women (and trans people too).
https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/
Quote from bishtop :Its not even the same guy, look at the attached photo. Following the link you posted which directs you to a facebook profile. That guy has a receded hair line(bald apart from the side and back of his head(1st photo). Where as the guy in the youtube video does not have this(2nd photo).

Thank you for clearing that up.

I was confused by the fact that one of the guys (who look different from each other anyway) was called:
Панасюк Ярослав Фёдорович -> transliterated as Panasyuk Yaroslav Fedorovich

While the captured soldier is called Astakhov Dmitry Mikhailovich

So that's not really the same name at all. Just having a similar length beard and a bit of grey on the chin does not mean you are the same person as every one else with a similar beard style. Big grin
Quote from Scawen :Although I don't want to get involved in an off topic conversation, I would simply like to paste a link in JK Rowling's defence. It's a piece written by her addressing these attacks and I really hope you have read it. She's not even anti-trans but is simply trying to address legitimate concerns about biological women (and trans people too).
https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

Thanks for posting this. I considered doing but I didn't want to appear to derail the conversation. It's important, though.

Here's a detailed analysis of JK Rowling's position on the trans debate, her open letter and the resulting backlash. It's by an IRL trans-female friend of mine, known on Youtube as Rose of Dawn. My friend's conclusion: "JK Rowling did nothing wrong."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixCFuFvNgLw
It’s hard for me to read all the posts, because my knowledge of the English language is not great, but I want to say that you shouldn’t interfere with the online game politics, there are enough idiots everywhere, this also applies to servers with similar names, as shown above, and with symbols on skins, although, in fact, this is just an ordinary letter.
There are Nazis in any country in one quantity or another, unfortunately this does not go anywhere, especially in countries with a huge number of emigrants, who account for 80-90% of all criminality, the only thing I never understood is why everyone in Ukraine loves so much paint in the colors of the national flag, at least it seems strange to me and from the point of view of design - not the best combination of colors (we are talking about signs, cars, etc., the percentage of this is really large), which, for example, I would not say about Russia, here you can see the colors of the flag only on car numbers, or during holidays.
I want to say again - you should not interfere with the game in politics and call for blocking the sale of licenses to Russians, this is nothing but Nazism, a huge number of Russians are against the war, but now mass propaganda is going on everywhere, especially from the Ukrainian side, the truth is always somewhere then in the middle, but, I personally saw a huge number of fakes and their exposure in the comments.
I propose to simply introduce a ban on any political statements in the rules of the game, we are all LFS players, regardless of our country of residence and nation, we all want the same thing.
I've emigrated last week. There's little hope that war can end soon enough, as our govt made such a claim that they can't quit and save their face.

Our civic society is under heaviest repressions since the late 80s, when even under Glasnost policy people were still persecuted for political position. Two days ago a friend of mine was detained, He did oppose the war, but also worked as deputy assistant and would expose land use manipulations by construction companies. Prosecutors initiated a completely made-up case of fraud, that he'd steal his deputy assistant salary.

If you're a common, uninformed man, daily life is still fine, far better than horrors in Hollywood movie about Russia. But it's a daily pain for an educated man. The majority though is surprisingly supportive of govt and optimistic.

All my activities besides work and family -- new urbanism, education sociology, local politics -- make no sense anymore. The state will default soon, cut budgets, lay off people, and citizens have almost no control of their own cities, so what's the point debating better urban design, public transit, walkable streets, or equal access to education? Yeah, it's so empowering to say they'll be needed even more to live lean and cheap, but I can't care less now. (Who knows if one will be able to criticize city administration without danger of legal persecution in the coming years. Or we're doomed to toothless talks on minute issues and wishful thinking of "trying harder", "being optimistic and in good spirit" like in Soviet times.)

My condolences to victims in Ukraine.
Quote from bishtop :Its not even the same guy

Yes its two different people.figured out.This does not justify me in any way for throwing in misinformation regarding these two persons. Nevertheless that doesn't make this video any less fake in my opinion.Theres many fishy moments and atleast 3 more videos of this same person.
Quote from Scawen :I've just learned about this Z symbol that has sprung up in the last few days and is being used apparently by brainwashed Russians.
It looks quite ominous to me. There is no Z in the Cyrillic alphabet so it seems like a symbol rather than a letter.

« Ukrainian General Staff has provided a decoder:

Z: Eastern Forces
|Z| - Crimea Forces
O - Forces from Belarus
V - Naval infrantry
X - Kadyrov’s Chechens
A - Special Forces (National Guard, FSB, Special Ops) »

Source:
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1498895907974230017
Quote from Vladimir_nose :the only thing I never understood is why everyone in Ukraine loves so much paint in the colors of the national flag, at least it seems strange to me and from the point of view of design - not the best combination of colors (we are talking about signs, cars, etc., the percentage of this is really large), which, for example, I would not say about Russia, here you can see the colors of the flag only on car numbers, or during holidays.

It's about patriotism and national pride which, when there is a perceived threat to a nation's borders, can morph into defensive nationalism.

I actually really like the Ukrainian flag. As an agricultural land, it makes sense to me to depict a golden corn/wheat field under a bright blue sky. I have no idea if this even is the purpose of the design and I may have just assumed it but that's what I see when I see the flag.
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :I did not ask you how things are with the society and the law in your country. I asked - how it should be according to you? At different times in different societies there were the different variety of laws, and their existence is not an argument. In the 30s there was a law in Germany that Jews are not people, and therefore they can be killed, there was such a law, did you think it was right? If not, then I don’t understand why you wrote how it happens in your country. An appeal to the law is not an argument, just like to public morality. If you didn't answer on my questions, why should I answer yours?

I honestly think we've both misunderstood each other, its not just about law its about morale's also.
Quote from Scawen :Thank you for clearing that up.

I was confused by the fact that one of the guys (who look different from each other anyway) was called:
Панасюк Ярослав Фёдорович -> transliterated as Panasyuk Yaroslav Fedorovich

While the captured soldier is called Astakhov Dmitry Mikhailovich

So that's not really the same name at all. Just having a similar length beard and a bit of grey on the chin does not mean you are the same person as every one else with a similar beard style. Big grin

The website that he linked is a known propoganda website, basically spreading and accusing the same as Putin does.

From what i have seen, Ukraine allows the POW's to call there families and feed them well. With everything that each captured soldier has said regarding the information they had been told before deployment, it confirms everything that we've been told about the propoganda within the Russia State Media
-
(Racer X NZ) DELETED by Scawen : post is off topic and the gender subject is much too complicated for single sentences
Fair enough, it was insanely off topic and me supporting you could well be a bit difficult. Thumbs up
Good idea's though.
The following link is a good analysis of the War on Ukraine, and shows why Putins attempt's of justification had quickly been disproven.

https://youtu.be/FQ4hvLqNfqo
Quote from dfgjkl :Yes its two different people.figured out.This does not justify me in any way for throwing in misinformation regarding these two persons. Nevertheless that doesn't make this video any less fake in my opinion.Theres many fishy moments and atleast 3 more videos of this same person.

The reason you believed it was real is because its what you're told. This is the same as with the majority of the lies Putin spreads.

Answer me this please. Mr Putin claims that Ukraine is run by Neo-Nazi's, yet Zelenskyy is Jewish and had family killed in death camps. How can the Nazi claim make any sense?

Also ask yourself why Putin has banned non state media and access to facebook and other platforms, its so you do not see the truth about what's going on in Ukraine. Bombing of Hospitals and schools and civillians, and also of civillians arming themselves to help repel the attacks.
Quote from bishtop :Answer me this please. Mr Putin claims that Ukraine is run by Neo-Nazi's, yet Zelenskyy is Jewish and had family killed in death camps. How can the Nazi claim make any sense?

Also ask yourself why Putin has banned non state media and access to facebook and other platforms, its so you do not see the truth about what's going on in Ukraine. Bombing of Hospitals and schools and civillians, and also of civillians arming themselves to help repel the attacks.

Good question! Fascism, chauvinism and Russophobia in Ukraine is massively cultivated throughout the entire independence.
We are also wondering why Zelensky and his co. not remove from power by the Nazi gopniks who ran there?
Why does every trash arrange torchlight processions and glorify Bandera and his henchmen, who are known for their bloody deeds against their own fellow citizens!?
Why are they destroying their own history under the guise of some kind of "decommunization"? Or maybe your media doesn't show it?

Many media have been banned for outright lies. There are no particular problems with viewing information from both sides.
And what about media blocking in the Baltic countries? And threats of fines, imprisonment?
This thread is closed

What is happening in Ukraine?
(436 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG