The online racing simulator
To give you some idea:

Regarding triangle and vertex count, this (attached) is an allowed object!

For this experiment I added nine XF GTI bodies as subobjects.

When combined the total is 61405 triangles and 59061 vertices.
Attached images
lfs_00000044.jpg
Quote from Scawen :It's all the existing LFS physics and features, but with editors.

Also some basic EV support and centrifugal clutch for karts.

Hotlaps have been preserved. This is not an aerodynamic physics overhaul.

are there hybrids? could we have multiple powertrains in one car?
No, it's just one or the other. I have not tried to support EVs with gears either. I have to set limits to try and finish this and get it out there. I do want to add regenerative braking during the public test stage though.
Tried to search this but couldnt find any so: would there be an option to collaborate with the guys from Camshaft Software on an Automation <-> LFS exporter tool? The BeamNG link proved overtime to be great success for both parties.

Cheers on the news.
Quote from Scawen :No, it's just one or the other. I have not tried to support EVs with gears either. I have to set limits to try and finish this and get it out there. I do want to add regenerative braking during the public test stage though.

What ev will you base it on? I drove kona, i3, model 3 performance and leaf...they all work a bit differently
People are talking alot about the vertex limit, 65k tris plenty for a car if you optimize a bit. The selected vertices from this car make about 57k tris (only orange dots counted). And this car is crazy unomptimized highpoly.
Spoiler - click to reveal
Quote from Scawen :To give you some idea:

Ooo. I was a bit concerned when I read limited triangle count at first, but 60k is plenty to work with. What about texture sizes? Will it go as high as 2048?
Either way, these are amazing news. Can't wait to try it out. I will be sure to make many mods!

From what I understand having tried making vob mods in the past, the texture projection is not based on UV maps, but is projected from various angles? Is this correct?

Also, I think normal maps are a great asset for making optimized and nice looking cars. Are there any plans to explore this?
Quote from michal 1279 :Skin parts are projected onto user-defined triangles (from top/side/front/etc). unless your car has a very complex shape, it is relatively easy step.

I mean, do you bake the skin template in the LFS modeler? Sort of like normal LFS cars? And then how would you know where the edges are so that you could skin it easier? Normally i use wire frame layer if using gimp but these modded cars sure won't have wire frame layers.

I just wanna know how other people can make skins for the mod.
Quote from Scawen :It's all the existing LFS physics and features, but with editors.

Not being aero overhaul, but can you add a wing to mod car? Is there a property of lift and drag for the wing you make? Can you add a diffuser to modded car?

Or are mods for now limited only to cars without aero?

So, no yet torsen diff ?
Anyway, when I saw the EV info in the vids, I was really excited ! Glad to know it is coming soon 👍🏻
A question about servers, the plan is a hosting from US? Because always when people talk about America they mean that country and its a large continent so if thats the plan we will get bad ping from south countries, like Argentina, Chile, Brasil, Uruguay, etc...
We worked to make a nice community to run events and this can be bad for usShrug
I realized that there is no option to put measures other than the size of the front wheels for the rear, will it be so? don't you think it's better to make it changeable separately from each other?
Quote from ViniciusPrey :I realized that there is no option to put measures other than the size of the front wheels for the rear, will it be so? don't you think it's better to make it changeable separately from each other?

May be linked only to UF1000 shown for the example
It does say REAR identical - YES. you can switch to NO
Quote from kenblock30 :A question about servers, the plan is a hosting from US? Because always when people talk about America they mean that country and its a large continent so if thats the plan we will get bad ping from south countries, like Argentina, Chile, Brasil, Uruguay, etc...
We worked to make a nice community to run events and this can be bad for usShrug

Depending on where the servers are located and based on experiences from other games (DOTA), SA to US may be better ping than between SA countries.
Quote from Scawen :To give you some idea:

talking about conversions, 61k polys looks good actually

using meshs from a original vob in a unnoficial modding tool, this car is around 71K polys with HQ Interior

ofcourse unnoficial mods are "free" about car brands...

well...

all knows the non oficial mods still for the internet, maybe i go out from assetto a while because this new announcement
Attached images
Screenshot_5.png
lfs_00000712.jpg
lfs_00000552.png
Quote from NumberTwo :Not being aero overhaul, but can you add a wing to mod car? Is there a property of lift and drag for the wing you make? Can you add a diffuser to modded car?

Or are mods for now limited only to cars without aero?

There's an Aerodynamics tab in the editor, so it looks possible.
I hadn't noticed that, thanks
Quote from MacedoSTI :talking about conversions, 61k polys looks good actually

using meshs from a original vob in a unnoficial modding tool, this car is around 71K polys with HQ Interior

ofcourse unnoficial mods are "free" about car brands...

well...

all knows the non oficial mods still for the internet, maybe i go out from assetto a while because this new announcement

A polygon can be either a tris or a quad. 71k polys could be upward 140k tris.
Either way, 60k is by no means limiting.
Quote from pärtan :A polygon can be either a tris or a quad. 71k polys could be upward 140k tris.
Either way, 60k is by no means limiting.

tris or quad is "same" when you export to LFS, every game engine turn to triangles automatically

same happen with gta/assetto/lfs/rfactor...
Quote from MacedoSTI :tris or quad is "same" when you export to LFS, every game engine turn to triangles automatically

same happen with gta/assetto/lfs/rfactor...

Yes. although the screenshot provided was not from LFS. If you have 71k quads in the 3d modelling software. It will read out 71k polygons. And when you export it and triangulate it, the model comes out to 140k tris.

Quote from MacedoSTI :ofcourse unnoficial mods are "free" about car brands...

well...

The rule explicitly prohibits brand names and logos. Not cars modeled after real cars.
it will now be possible to remake the original cars in the game with a better quality
The main reason I don't race online much any more is due to the fact that there are often no racers online in my country and ping times to any server further away than NZ are too high to enjoy close racing. Asian ping times are even too high. If there is no server planned for Australia then I'm afraid my online racing in LFS has come to an end (again). It's disappointing because I have been waiting for LFS to rise from its own ashes and re-energize the online community.

Mods can be interesting but won't really improve the game for me, so the mod news is neither here nor there, but the end of the dedicated server is not something I can be happy about personally, especially if it means I have to connect to an Asian server to race my fellow Aussies or our buddies in the land of the long white cloud.

It's been a pretty lonely 'single-player' experience in LFS for the last five years or so - I don't think this update addresses that issue for me. I'm crossing my fingers that the physics and graphics updates come sooner rather than later and that this sim comes back to life.
Quote from ViniciusPrey :it will now be possible to remake the original cars in the game with a better quality

This really just about Scavier crowdsourcing the car interior improvements Smile

I'm really optimistic about mod support, and looking forward to how it turns out.
Even just playing around in the vehicle editor will be awesome!

I hope tires and graphics aren't too far behind though...
Quote from pärtan :Yes. although the screenshot provided was not from LFS. If you have 71k quads in the 3d modelling software. It will read out 71k polygons. And when you export it and triangulate it, the model comes out to 140k tris.

The rule explicitly prohibits brand names and logos. Not cars modeled after real cars.

if you read what i said...
This thread is closed

LFS Mods Support - Coming Soon!
(330 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG