The online racing simulator
Great news, good luck Scavier hope I can get back behind the wheel soon enough!
Quote from BeNoM :There is a company behind it, Valmet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmet_Automotive

https://www.supercars.net/blog/2005-valmet-raceabout/

RaceAbout is a company itself, 'RaceAbout Association'.

Here's contact information if you want it: https://web.archive.org/web/20190205212217/http://www.raceabout.fi/index_3.html

Valmet Automotive was only a partner in the project but doesn't own any rights to the car. Car is owned my Metropolia University and upkeep is nowdays handled with RaceAbout Club.
Quote from NumberTwo :Its because you are young and need everytime something new or flashy to entertain you Big grin

Even if they put out 20 quality mods and 10 new quality tracks, after 2 years people will complain it is not enough.

Have you really raced every combo lfs has to offer?

i'm sorry, but i've been playing lfs for more than 15 years on and off, you get tired and bored. even though i've had s3 for some years now, i still only play on blackwood, because there just arent enough servers or events to race on more combos than xrg/xfg on all tracks. the difference is when i get on assetto i can just choose some random combo and go race with random people, here if i wanna just drive and race when i feel like it, i have to either play demo combos, or wait for some weekly event to race with people im most likely not going to be competitive against.
Quote from Bose321 :Guess we could have this again, speaking of bikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHdzY6ibirc

I see one obvious problem with bikes in LFS from that video. At least South City and the fern bay tracks.
If you try to get your lean on going over tracks, it's most likely gonna be a short ride.
Bike would need more controls like position up down left right, steering would he a but limited although possible, brakes front and rear...
What about multiplayer coop sidecars too?
What about diamond wheeler like Man-Tx?
Quote from loopingz :What about diamond wheeler like Man-Tx?

I am sure the modding tools will bring a lot of creativity and new things to the game.. About trucks.. I think the maximun wheels allowed are 4, +1 spare wheel, which you can see in the UI here ( which will probably work like the LX4 spare wheel ).

This means that the truck has to be something like this one here ->
VladM, have a look at our AA multiclass server.
Quote from VladM :i'm sorry, but i've been playing lfs for more than 15 years on and off, you get tired and bored. even though i've had s3 for some years now, i still only play on blackwood, because there just arent enough servers or events to race on more combos than xrg/xfg on all tracks. the difference is when i get on assetto i can just choose some random combo and go race with random people, here if i wanna just drive and race when i feel like it, i have to either play demo combos, or wait for some weekly event to race with people im most likely not going to be competitive against.

thank you for basically confirming the point i made in my second post a few lines under the first one that you quoted.

Lack of content isnt problem, lack of racers is.
Quote from VladM :there just arent enough servers or events to race on more combos than xrg/xfg on all tracks.

You should really check leagues section - there are plenty of events that do not feature just xrg/xfg,so you cannot complain about variability of cars available for racing in events. However occasionally you can complain about lack of space on grid,as sometimes event servers are full.

Regarding getting bored of same combos - there are different people with different tastes. Some want to race on 5-lap race with one car and they scream for a change,some like to extend their experience with the same car and goes for better and better laptime on same combo. And some have the ability to find new things out of LFS - for example the open configs,new Westhill and concrete objects updates provided the community with quite unlimited possibilities trackwise,user created cars now will multiply those options. And yet there will be people who will complain about lack of [insert your reason here]...
Quote from Eclipsed :You should really check leagues section - there are plenty of events that do not feature just xrg/xfg,so you cannot complain about variability of cars available for racing in events. However occasionally you can complain about lack of space on grid,as sometimes event servers are full.

Regarding getting bored of same combos - there are different people with different tastes. Some want to race on 5-lap race with one car and they scream for a change,some like to extend their experience with the same car and goes for better and better laptime on same combo. And some have the ability to find new things out of LFS - for example the open configs,new Westhill and concrete objects updates provided the community with quite unlimited possibilities trackwise,user created cars now will multiply those options. And yet there will be people who will complain about lack of [insert your reason here]...

only that there are few problems with races you, me or anyone else organizes and that you can see in leagues section.

They are at a given time and date. You cant just hop into LFS when it suits you and have a fun race, you need to organize your day around LFS, so you can race.

And if you race for fun, with no experience, chances are you will be left for dust, or not even able to qualify.

What LFS needs is pickup racing with track rotations, something like AA is doing, but with single car class on track and like 10 minute races at max. Then anyone who hops online could have fun. But to make it happen you need racers...alot of them. Once LFS picks up enough interest to attract 2000 racers every day for more than 30 minutes, then the ball will start rolling and it will start to grow again.

At the moment, all you can do is exactly what you, mrc, b2r, at, tam, fm, ndr and the rest are doing - organize one race per day at the time slot where you can guarantee atleast 15 cars on grid and try to have some fun. And nothing wrong with that...we're just doing the best we can with what we got.
While the new mods and eventually the updated tracks and new tyre physics will absolutely bring the biggest peak of racers for almost a decade, for long term I don't believe LFS will ever return to a state it once was. There is quite a bit of content to enjoy and experience, but honestly theres no incentive to do racing on LFS when there are multiple better options available and I don't blame people looking for options elsewhere than here. I would love to make a return to LFS, but its gonna take a lot to see LFS change as the best option for simracing. I do respect Scawen and co. for still working on the sim and I'm looking forward to see their work in fruit.
For me the biggest drawback is the graphics at the moment (after the mods support of course), especially since we got teased Tongue with the new graphics system. But its being worked on both, so I don't complain. Smile
As for the order of update I understand the way it is forced to be. First the mod incompatible content and new online method. It has to be done first to stop the piracy bleeding. Then graphics and tracks and then should be totally not compatible for precious lfs versions to make life worse for the people that are still on the wrong side...
As for physics I hope it will one day see the light but that is so complex and easy to go into dead ends...
Lets gooo!!
Can't wait
Quote from Evolution_R :The new LFS version will use .veh and not .vob only for the mods or at all?

I'm not answering many questions but I'll answer this as there may be times when this technical answer is useful info.

- A plain LFS model has file extension .sre and these can be saved and loaded from LFS_EDITOR\data\3dob
- A .vob is really just an LFS model with a different file extension to indicate that it is a vehicle object
- LFS mods system stores the 'vob' inside a .veh file (which also contains the spoke object, rim design, physical parameters... many things)
- A .vob file can be renamed .sre and saved to the 3dob folder where it can then be loaded into the modeller

Anyone who doesn't understand that, don't worry - you don't need to know this. Big grin
Question about team mods.
Hey @Scawen. Just wanted to ask something about the Access Levels and more specific to the - "Team".

How will the automatic download of the mods work when set to - "Team"

I am thinking of something like this - When set the access level to Team, only people that are in the same team as the mod creator can download it. But does that mean you can join in servers that people has the mod - e.g. private server only for the team?

And will there be an way to play with an team mod in public servers. Because it would be fun to play with your mod and see other private mods. I am most afraid of someone stealing our dds textures.. How can we protect our textures from someone just getting the .dds and pasting it to their mod. Or using it for something else.

Thanks Smile

Also I think there is an mistake in the Vehicle Mod Regulations -> https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/regulations
It says - "Once reviewed and published your mod will become available for use in LFS according to its access level. (see 5.6 - Access Level)"
And there is no 5.6, The point for access level is 4.6 Big grin
A mod with a restricted access level such as private, custom or team, will still be downloaded (we call that 'cache') onto other computers if you visit a server and use your restricted mod. So yes, someone else could find your textures or even the veh file by searching around in the mods folder. The mods are not well protected in that way.

Restricted access means that other people cannot select your mod in game or drive with it online (we call that 'install'). But there isn't really anything to stop them finding it in their LFS folders if they saw you driving with it. If you really want to keep a mod totally private then you shouldn't use it on a public server.

DDS files are only an in-game use game ready texture. The automatically downloaded in-game mods are provided with dds only. But you develop using png textures. DDS have a loss of quality so they aren't that good to steal. Someone could convert them to a png but there is a loss of quality.

Thanks for the text bug report. Smile
Here's an overview of the structure of VEH and SRE files.

I thought this might help visualise how a mod is built up.
Attached images
LFS_Vehicle_Model.gif
The mods system is now available for testing!

We have opened a special mods forum section: https://www.lfs.net/forum/498

Thank you all for the feedback.
Quote from Scawen :The mods system is now available for testing!

We have opened a special mods forum section: https://www.lfs.net/forum/498

Thank you all for the feedback.

Can't install test patch. I tried to my lfs version which is 0.6v3 i tried also to brand new installed 0.6v and i got same error "lfs is not found in that folder"
Can't connect to Mods Test: Europe 2 because I got 'Unexpected guest packet' error.
EDIT: Now its works!
This thread is closed

LFS Mods Support - Coming Soon!
(330 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG