The online racing simulator
Quote from Hyperactive :Drives like typical rfactor mod.

Agreed. Pretty disappointed after reading comments here. Car is numb, no feel, and get more than 10 degrees sideways and you're gone. FFB is driving me crazy too with rattle etc.
Quote from DaveWS :
Quote from Hyperactive :Drives like typical rfactor mod.

Agreed. Pretty disappointed after reading comments here. Car is numb, no feel, and get more than 10 degrees sideways and you're gone. FFB is driving me crazy too with rattle etc.

If that's how all rfactor mods feel, then I must get it. Car is numb, no feel? Try driving it with a wheel or if you are already doing this, check your settings - you have a dead wheel. Personally, car feels and drives just as good as official Cobra, if not better.

Man that sounds good. This is the first time I have heard someone actually being able to produce exterior sounds that work in the AC engine. It seems like the sounds have been recorded close by the exhaust tips of the real car (or any other V12 for that matter), which I usually dislike, but with the AC sound engine giving all the right echos and reflections to the sound it works fantastically. This might change the way we produce engine sounds for games in the future. Technically it makes recording the sounds easier, but finding good source material from existing recordings (ie. modders) is going to be harder.

Well the same reason that makes the Miura sound great from the outside, makes it also sound not so good from the inside. I know many people love the interior sound but it's just wrong. It uses recordings from somewhere around the exhaust tips, so it doesn't sound right. There's no induction noise. Or any other factors that actually make interiors sound like they actually do.
That does sound really, really good for an external camera. Really good.
Quote from BigPeBe :Well the same reason that makes the Miura sound great from the outside, makes it also sound not so good from the inside. I know many people love the interior sound but it's just wrong. It uses recordings from somewhere around the exhaust tips, so it doesn't sound right. There's no induction noise. Or any other factors that actually make interiors sound like they actually do.

the Fmod engine allows usage of whatever many different samples you like, so this is no fault of AC itself, just an overside/wip of the modding group. Imo too much emphasizis is put into getting samples of the exact same car, instead of focusing on sound quality. What speaks against using a later model Lambo V12s (with the same base engine) sound for the interior?

----------------------

btw, is anyone on this forum well versed in ACs physics? I need help for my mod (suspension, collision, aero, instruments)
Quote from ACCAkut :the Fmod engine allows usage of whatever many different samples you like, so this is no fault of AC itself, just an overside/wip of the modding group. Imo too much emphasizis is put into getting samples of the exact same car, instead of focusing on sound quality. What speaks against using a later model Lambo V12s (with the same base engine) sound for the interior?

Exactly, the audio engine is capable, but the clips they used for interior sounds aren't the best choice.

We think alike, most important thing on producing engine sounds isn't that it's from the same make or model, but the basic engine layout and that they run even remotely on the same rpm range and utilize intake and exhaust systems that are at least somewhat similar. And the audio quality of course!
You may even make a very believable flatplane V8 engine out of cleverly putting together two 4 cyl engine notes. I have done this myself on at least some level of success.

I make a lot of different sounds for my personal usage, and I usually just try to put together them using the best quality stuff, and completely ingnoring the make and model of the car the source material is from.

People often talk that "this and that car makes the best sound", but what they don't realize is that if you use pretty much any, lets say 16v 4cyl engine, and build them to similar spec (ie. similar peak power rpm range) and utilize at least somewhat similar exhaust systems and similar intakes (ie ITB's or double carbs) the human ear wont be able to tell which is which from the sound.
Quote from ACCAkut :btw, is anyone on this forum well versed in ACs physics? I need help for my mod (suspension, collision, aero, instruments)

What do you actually need help with? I could answer some questions but I'd rather spend my ac time with my own car. Is it about adjusting the suspension values (bump up/down, rod length etc). As for the dual step rpm needle you have asked about in ac forums I don't think that is possible in ac.
Quote from BigPeBe :
I make a lot of different sounds for my personal usage, and I usually just try to put together them using the best quality stuff, and completely ignoring the make and model of the car the source material is from.

... as in sounds for AC? I still need to make a Fmod soundset for my Porsche ... *hint* (and have a folder of samples already)

@ Hyperactive: Biggest problem is atm that my collision model is messed up, but I can't find out what is wrong (see here) I can drive the car fine, but on many 3rd party tracks I get to a pretty abrupt stop once in a while. Changed the collision.ini to
[COLLIDER_0]
CENTRE=0 , 1, 0.3 ;
SIZE=0.001 ,0.001, 0.001 ; so a sugarcube basically, for test reasons

still bottoms out at that 2cm "curb"

that pic depicts my model, exported as one with my collision mesh visible (its all in one blend file). Still can enter a guardrail up until the windscreen, from front and rear bumper.

The dual needle works fine for only speed now, apparently its not implemented for anything else yet. I think I will just change my tachometer to only read from 4k to 7k in the mean time
First I'd check in blender that you have your collision mesh scaled properly. Control-A in blender to reset it so it doesn't get any bigger or smaller when you export it into fbx. Also check collisions.ini so you get the ground or roof level correct. Then just scale it in blender to match the other side. As for the size parameters I actually haven't played with them in ac...
Quote from ACCAkut :
... as in sounds for AC? I still need to make a Fmod soundset for my Porsche ... *hint* (and have a folder of samples already)

I haven't yet familiarised myself with AC's new sound engine. I just did some quick tests on the earlier versions, converting some stuff from the Gmotor engine, which I'm familiar with.

Learning the new Fmod engine will probably come in few years time, when there is more proper mods available that I'm interested in (Historic racing mods).
Quote from Hyperactive :First I'd check in blender that you have your collision mesh scaled properly. Control-A in blender to reset it so it doesn't get any bigger or smaller when you export it into fbx. Also check collisions.ini so you get the ground or roof level correct. Then just scale it in blender to match the other side. As for the size parameters I actually haven't played with them in ac...

that's why I exported my model with the collision mesh visible, to see if anything on that front is wrong. The collider.kn5 is an export of that single mesh from the same blend file, and has the correctly named material ("GL") applied to it, it should be exactly the same as the visible mesh.

What car are you working on?
The broadspeed jag:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/broadspeed-jaguar-xj12c-1977.12979/
I'm dauntless on the ac forums. (I like how that sounds)

Have you exported your collider using this:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/collider-material-editor-does-not-have-gl.15192/#post-275967
Also if you have added graphically rake to your 3d model you need to manually add the rake in blender for the collider because there is no rake for the collider mesh in the inis (iirc).
Quote from Hyperactive :Have you exported your collider using this:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/collider-material-editor-does-not-have-gl.15192/#post-275967
Also if you have added graphically rake to your 3d model you need to manually add the rake in blender for the collider because there is no rake for the collider mesh in the inis (iirc).

.. how was I expected to know this... it works now, perfectly fine.

have a virtual beer:
Half of the fun of modding in ac is about accidentally stumbling on stuff that you may find helpful later on. (basically read everything stereo writes about 3d modeling and modding in general)

What's the problem with suspensions and aero?
If only someone, or Kunos, could concentrate all that info somewhere. I don't have the time and patience to scan all sub forums for stuff I might need to know.

Not so much problems, I'm just tinkering and unsure if everything is alright. Just had a testrun, and my last earo tweaks seem to have made a difference. I can only guess what downforce my car had, sort of 150% of a normal 996 Cup, but as always its hard to find real world values, as in numbers, not "3° more wing = drives better".

Suspension is the same, front is 99% as it was on the real Turbo now, rear axle was Multilink, I fabricated a DWB that sort of works. Spring and Damper values again from 996 Cup cars, but as my car was 200+ kg heavier, and different CoG (due to AWD system), again lots of trail and error.

One guy from the forum tests for me (but has no idea of modding himself), he was faster than Kunos GT3 cars on Spa, but slower on the Nür GP, so I'm sort of heading in the right direction I guess. That was before my last change of aero tho, the one that I just tried to correct...
Well if you have zinio account you could go browse some of the older race car engineering magazines. Sometimes they have pretty in-depth analysisesses of some cars. I'd imagine some of the porsche analysaissons could be useful. (analyses?)
Just did a 2:19 in Spa (800 bhp setting), real world GT3s do it in 2:24, so I can't be that far of :P

and a 6:49 on Snoopys Nord
Barbagallo is amazing..

Hi,

trying AC again, bought somewhere almost last year but the functionality outright sucked backed then.
Now it has mouse support and multiplayer even though it's pretty dodgy, can't setup clutch... can't setup mouse buttons... multiplayer is something like LFS demo madness on steroids...

First driving impressions from AC on proper PC and mouse are: "Arcade Corsa" :/
That about sums it up unfortunately. Floaty, the tyre grip is weird and hard to predict, suspension is either too soft or it acts strange, sort of can't feel the balance but then when I go over a curb in a corner it starts to go up/down as it lands that's about the only time I can notice oh hey it does have suspension
I found rFactor similar in handling but a little harder to control. In AC driving overpowered cars seems to be no problem, TC off, SC off.

Setuping, awful, not easy to navigate, can't find a place to send/receive setups, nor a web database of them, anyone know of one? I've tried changes but they are hard to notice unlike in LFS where small changes are noticeable more easily.
Setup values don't always seem realistic and appear to be even: 0 or 1 for setting something, which is plain weird and provides no info about what change it does, instead of listing say 50 or 70 kN (realistic value with realistic units) it just says 0 or 1...

Multiplayer (beta), took 5 tries when I was first connecting to get on a server and not get kicked for some unknown reason right away or get the checksum bug.

Collisions, haven't seen worse? LFS has poor collisions, but AC beats it lol. As illustrated already in GIFs here haha. Bouncy collisions, lags and all that jazz.

For mods quickly I found racedepartment I think, any sites that collect mods/tracks/cars/setups? Is there an official database for these or is it the usual rFactor like madness?

Graphic options... well turning off the postprocessing helps to bring back clarity as the PP is not very adjustable in game and blurs most of the image with effects DoF/bloom/HDR/..., it is better adjustable in config files than in game. Sure looks "nice" for videos/screenshotsm but it's not so great to have the image blurred and HDRed for racing. Found some custom normalized preset that seems to recover the blacks that kind of get lost with the default presets. Any good post processing presets around to download? Too bad one really can't change this easily in the GUI, all the parameters of the effects, especially while in game, not while in the separate menu program :/ Yeah, it's just weird they still keep it separate, the menu and the actual game.

Is there a WR database with replays & setups that is valid?
I know there is this one:
http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=world_records

but it doesn't seem valid to me and there are some ridiculous error times too in it. No idea if it offers replays or setups, couldn't find them easily.

The penalty system if turned ON is ridiculous and annoying. The game taking control of a car is as well. Clutch handling is pretty bad and can't setup clutch to a button to fix it manually when needed.
No ready check before race start ==> half the cars on grid are still ==> crashes.
After race the car goes to autopilot, screen turns gray, teleported to pits, WTF, results are shown, then again it goes gray etc. During race questions pop up all the time for restarting and kicking people, something that can be disabled easily in LFS.
Couldn't find what helpers are turned on on various servers before joining them.
Custom tracks and cars that are hard to find are also pretty neat obstacle for online gaming. If it would at least provide a description of the server with required mods and where to get them

Overall, I find the steering is pretty unresponsive at times, in LFS I would already crash but in AC no problem still going fine.

Sounds, some are good but some make me laugh, the tyre squeals can be weird at times.

No latency limit on servers... ==> total madness.
Cars jumping around track, then going out of track only to be respawn behind you and crash you...
Tracks, talking about stock ones, not mods, are buggy, sometimes hitting the side of the road means falling through into infinite space and session automatically restarts. Sometimes there is no wall or protection on the side of the track yet there is an invisible wall WTF Just let me fall down on a hill climb, I don't want invisible walls right next to the tarmac limiting me.

Brakes are funny, a year ago the cars liked to pull to one side, now not really. With ABS the brakes are sometimes almost nonexistent :| It's sort of a feeling: is it braking? or should I go Flinstone and stop with my feet through the floor?

For mods it would be nice if they were somehow distinguishable from original content, either have a small mark or have their own subsection when selecting cars/tracks.

Too bad LFS devs can't make S3, would have gladly bought S3 instead of AC. Guess I will drive Blackwood in AC then :P
"Confessions from a LFS mouse driver - Chapter 1"
Quote from Boris Lozac :"Confessions from a LFS mouse driver - Chapter 1"

hahaha what a waste of time reviewing simulation with mouse.
So they said with LFS
And it turned out that wheel is not really needed.
The wheel force feedback I have seen in games was far from good, rather annoying. Sure pedals are great. Doing fast contra and fast steering with FF on wheel, dream about it

The setups in AC seem soft that's why it feels rather floaty with some cars.
Setup my FOV properly to match what I'm used to, a little better too.

Am getting some crazy stutter on Nordscheilfe (snoopy 1.1) while online, for like 3s it stutters as hell randomly or maybe it's the same point of track but hard to tell. FPS also drops in Fraps to 50-60fps otherwise it's around 100fps. Dunno what's the issue, didn't get it yesterday. Moved to SSD from HDD, no difference at all. I don't think it's bottlenecking. For LFS moving to SSD helps since it has silly disk access while in race that causes similar stuff on HDD, just 10 times less severe, more like a single lag when it loads a skin or something I think.

Again on a different track but a lot less right when someone disconnected or connected. They do have things to polish in the multiplayer for sure.
:| all my controls got reset. Game now maxes my CPU out. Disappointing.
Quote from Bmxtwins ::| all my controls got reset. Game now maxes my CPU out. Disappointing.

It's disappointing that you have a bad computer?

Do you go to a restaurant and complain because you showed up with a headache?

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG