The online racing simulator
That sounds very user friendly which is nice, as I've had massive headaches getting some games to work on the DK2. I guess it's partially because of the multimonitor implementation in Windows that doesn't allow mirroring a portrait screen that's been rotated to landscape for some reason.

Euro Truck Sim 2 is a good example of a horrible Rift implementation usability wise. First it requires you to set the Rift as a primary monitor... which moves the taskbar and all windows to the Rift by default (windows key + arrows are great for this) but once you manage to actually start the game, you're greeted by microscopic menus and fonts that are unreadable.

This is something where I feel that LFS can show other developers what proper Rift support really means.
Quote from sinbad :It's car shaking rather than head shaking. Your head would be subject to forces inflicted by the road-car-seat, but also damping them, and you also do not have to look "up" when going uphill, your car and seat point uphill, changing the position of your "ahead".

So surely somewhere in between locked to car and locked to horizon would work best?

That is an interesting thought. Currently you are locked to the car body, and all looking is relative to that.

I have not got sick at all when driving normally. But when I went on BL Rallycross, that big bump made the view quite different from expected and I got an instant feeling of motion sickness (that also fades very quickly). The same thing happens when I hit a wall and the car gets bounced up.

So I might try (in a later test patch, not today) a thing where the view axes are more loosely locked to the car, so you can see medium frequency bumps affecting the car but not your view so much.
Quote from Matrixi :
This is something where I feel that LFS can show other developers what proper Rift support really means.

What I always liked about LFS is not using sloppy methods to put anything in the game. Other developers can take most of the features as a great example, to mention netcode and such...
Quote from Matrixi :
Euro Truck Sim 2 is a good example of a horrible Rift implementation usability wise. First it requires you to set the Rift as a primary monitor... which moves the taskbar and all windows to the Rift by default (windows key + arrows are great for this) but once you manage to actually start the game, you're greeted by microscopic menus and fonts that are unreadable.

I did not have to set the rift as main screen for ETS! Having it extended and second monitor worked fine. I've only had one demo refuse to start on the rift as second monitor even with -adapter 1 and in that case I could just use windowed mode and drag it over.
Quote from ctuchik :I did not have to set the rift as main screen for ETS! Having it extended and second monitor worked fine. I've only had one demo refuse to start on the rift as second monitor even with -adapter 1 and in that case I could just use windowed mode and drag it over.

That's interesting, for me it runs on my main monitor only unless I set the Rift as a primary "monitor". Are you on Nvidia/Win7?

*Edit: Scratch that, looks like they've applied a ninja patch through Steam since I last tried it. Loaded up directly to the Rift now!
Quote from Scawen :So I might try (in a later test patch, not today) a thing where the view axes are more loosely locked to the car, so you can see medium frequency bumps affecting the car but not your view so much.

I think that´s a realistic approach.
In fact what´s connecting your eyes (=view) with the car is your own body and the seat. Body and seat work like a spring/damper system.
Quote from Matrixi :That's interesting, for me it runs on my main monitor only unless I set the Rift as a primary "monitor". Are you on Nvidia/Win7?

Nvidia Win 8.1. Maybe you can actually pick display device in the menus? To make the text more readable you can mess around with the r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale setting. 1.4 or even 2.0 makes a big difference. Does affect FPS though, I already have problems getting consistent 75+ FPS and my PC is pretty beefy...
Quick test, seems to work flawlessly. Will get back in there and test more.
Holy shit, it's perfect. You are a genius. I run with vsync off now, averaging 90 fps with everything maxed. Very smooth and a ton of fun.
-
(kars19) DELETED by kars19
I gave 5/5

This and Euro truck were fondest memories on my DK1, I'm getting the DK2 as well... soon I hope! LFS will be day one to check out.
Just want to say, great move by Scawen to fully support VR headsets so quickly. I've been watching the forum's visitor count all day and even right now, at a pretty off hour, there's over 160 guests here. Although VR support may only affect a fraction of the players currently, adding it has proven a crucial step towards reviving Live For Speed's popularity.

It's been a while since we got a taste of Scawen's visionary thinking, but I think this may be our best taste yet.
Quote from Scawen :That is an interesting thought. Currently you are locked to the car body, and all looking is relative to that.

I have not got sick at all when driving normally. But when I went on BL Rallycross, that big bump made the view quite different from expected and I got an instant feeling of motion sickness (that also fades very quickly). The same thing happens when I hit a wall and the car gets bounced up.

So I might try (in a later test patch, not today) a thing where the view axes are more loosely locked to the car, so you can see medium frequency bumps affecting the car but not your view so much.

Scawen, could I put in a small request regarding this for use with dk2. If you do change anything could you make sure there is the option in the menus to alter the different settings. I have a motion simulator and so need the option to be fixed to the car (like it is now) so that when the car goes over a bump the motion simulator moves my body which bounces my head and effects my view like a real car would. If the game started adding extra bump effects it would probably be great for normal vr but not great with motion simulators as there would be conflicting view movements.
No problem, that would definitely be an option if it is implemented.

The highest priority things are:

- Chromatic aberration correction
- LAG when vertical sync is enabled

The most interesting thing for me is the 3D mirrors.
Finally ! 3D mirrors !
Does the mirrors are relative to head position in VR ?

---- Little suggestion here : ----
When you'll code it, can you add an option to enable mirrors in pursuit view ?
If you can do it quickly, an option to show our own chassis in the mirrors (so we can see a bit of glass and interior in it, it's more realistic) ?

Sorry if I ask to much, I just want to have cool mirrors for our favorite game
It would be nice to also have a toggle for the driving UI to be hidden automatically after starting a race, or alternatively making the shift+F shortcut stick after pressing it. It's pretty much the only thing I need to reach my keyboard for now after I switch cars or tracks, everything else can be done with mouse.

I also hope you'll try to get low persistence support in at some point, it makes a really big difference to VR comfort when moving your head around quickly.

Not sure would "Timewarp" be needed, the latency feels extremely low as it is.
Thanks Scawen, one of the best things about lfs is the customisation & depth of options for setting up the game just right for each individual.

My dk2 should ship any day (24th march order) so can't wait to get stuck in & start testing.

Yes apart from vsync & Chromatic aberration 3d mirrors sound really really interesting especially for adding some more presence. I can't actually get my head around how that will look & haven't as yet tried any dk1 demo with a 3d mirror in it but it sure sounds amazing.

I guess also going forward car interiors need to be more refined than before as now dk2 gives us the ability to move around inside the cockpit and see things that you wouldn't on a monitor although judging by the video review in the caterham style car I didn't see any holes or problems. Keep up the good work.
Quote from nacim :Finally ! 3D mirrors !
Does the mirrors are relative to head position in VR ?

---- Little suggestion here : ----
When you'll code it, can you add an option to enable mirrors in pursuit view ?
If you can do it quickly, an option to show our own chassis in the mirrors (so we can see a bit of glass and interior in it, it's more realistic) ?

Sorry if I ask to much, I just want to have cool mirrors for our favorite game

I think our own chassis would be a little too much because AFAIK it's not that simple. But on the other hand a mirror in chase view would be really, really nice.
Quote from Sobis :I think our own chassis would be a little too much because AFAIK it's not that simple. But on the other hand a mirror in chase view would be really, really nice.

Infact it's quite simple if we get mirrors like real cameras (every mirror has its own camera). Its just like invert one bit. Also don't forget sky in mirrors.
LFS has one of the best VR experiences out there, especially if you sit in a seat with a steering wheel & the body model is turned on.
One thing is pretty unpleasant though, if you move your eyes behind the body vertices of the car, you just peek through the whole body. Especially prominent with the open wheeled cars. It is pretty disturbing and illusion destroying if you turn around in the FOX to look back and half of the car is missing. Or even just some side panels, as there is not much space in there.

I am aware that this is pretty much the way how the rendering of 3D models work, would it be prudent to look for a solution here? What is the opinion of other Rift users?

Edit: Of course I meant if the solution is a matter of minutes as expanding the viewport or some depth tweaks...
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Infact it's quite simple if we get mirrors like real cameras (every mirror has its own camera). Its just like invert one bit. Also don't forget sky in mirrors.

Oh yeah, I almost forget it !
Quote from GabbO :LFS has one of the best VR experiences out there, especially if you sit in a seat with a steering wheel & the body model is turned on.
One thing is pretty unpleasant though, if you move your eyes behind the body vertices of the car, you just peek through the whole body. Especially prominent with the open wheeled cars. It is pretty disturbing and illusion destroying if you turn around in the FOX to look back and half of the car is missing. Or even just some side panels, as there is not much space in there.

I am aware that this is pretty much the way how the rendering of 3D models work, would it be prudent to look for a solution here? What is the opinion of other Rift users?

Maybe that could be fixed by setting the Z-clipping distance to "closer", so it would draw polygons that are even closer to the camera. Not sure though
Quote from Matrixi :It would be nice to also have a toggle for the driving UI to be hidden automatically after starting a race, or alternatively making the shift+F shortcut stick after pressing it. It's pretty much the only thing I need to reach my keyboard for now after I switch cars or tracks, everything else can be done with mouse.

I also hope you'll try to get low persistence support in at some point, it makes a really big difference to VR comfort when moving your head around quickly.

Not sure would "Timewarp" be needed, the latency feels extremely low as it is.

There is a command /hidetext [yes/no], which could theoretically be put into "road.lfs", "sequential.lfs" and "paddle.lfs". Unfortunately, those scripts are executed before the hidetext command can take effect. So it doesn't work when starting a race, but works when rejoining the track from garage.
I suppose this is the best place to ask, as Rift users are active in the thread...

It's something I've wondered about for a while now. Is it possible to drink from a can of lager/beverage of your choice whilst wearing the device (presuming you can find your drink in the first place) ?

I think that the can will hit the Rift, making drinking a pain in the arse
One of those baby bottle spouts?

Oculus Rift Users - please rate LFS at Oculus Share
(204 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG