The online racing simulator
Quote from Breizh :One of those baby bottle spouts?

This would be the obvious solution if it does interfere

Extra immersion factor too, real drivers drink from a tube
Wow.... Was interested in this, yet every post i did scan through seemed to still whine about the stupid chick car.
Anyways, My son's friends is getting one. An Oculus Rift.
My son does something with a controller company called...Chronus? Now I play LFS with this funky x-box looking controller he coded for me.

Uh... with this controller, there's one hell of a learning curve to using it so I'm still stuck in single player til I know I can play without crashing everyone.
I guess it's like everything else, you have to adapt to it.
What is it like adapting to using the rift? I mean does it have immediate results either positive or negative?
Is there a lot of getting used to seeing things differently? What happens when you're using it(them?) and you get lag? What about Headaches?
Quote from Bean0 :This would be the obvious solution if it does interfere

Extra immersion factor too, real drivers drink from a tube

Perfect fit for the Rift, too.
Quote from Scawen :That is an interesting thought. Currently you are locked to the car body, and all looking is relative to that.

I have not got sick at all when driving normally. But when I went on BL Rallycross, that big bump made the view quite different from expected and I got an instant feeling of motion sickness (that also fades very quickly). The same thing happens when I hit a wall and the car gets bounced up.

So I might try (in a later test patch, not today) a thing where the view axes are more loosely locked to the car, so you can see medium frequency bumps affecting the car but not your view so much.

Please, Scawen, this is almost exactly the issue I reported in this old thread:

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=84494

If you implement some human body flex for Oculus, please have it carry over to the normal game as well.

(PS. Also, along this line, perhaps a slider to add a bit of "noise" to simulate tiny bumps in the asphalt, since everything in LFS seems super smooth after having played iRacing and Assetto Corsa?)
Quote from eobet :(PS. Also, along this line, perhaps a slider to add a bit of "noise" to simulate tiny bumps in the asphalt, since everything in LFS seems super smooth after having played iRacing and Assetto Corsa?)

Options - View...
Acceleration shifts viewpoint :
1g head tilt
Quote from Scawen :Options - View...
1g head tilt

I've always wondered why those are not turned on by default, since it makes the experience so much better, and would increase the sim aspect of LFS even more.
Voted. Loving LFS in OR, great work.

Thanks!

Bruce
Quote from SlamDunk :I've always wondered why those are not turned on by default, since it makes the experience so much better, and would increase the sim aspect of LFS even more.

I personally hate any added head movement in driving sims, however the Rift is a small exception when landing a big jump in autocross. That's the only time where I feel that some minimal vertical head movement might feel better... maybe.
Quote from SlamDunk :I've always wondered why those are not turned on by default, since it makes the experience so much better, and would increase the sim aspect of LFS even more.

Head tilt is 1.5 degrees per g by default.

The setting is disabled in Rift mode, by the way.
Scawen, don't forget to add "DK2" to supported rift versions on the LFS details page on Share (and correct that "mey" typo) on the next submission.

I can't have any in-sim head movement as I'm using a motion rig
I need an in-sim head movement off, (as my head moves in rig naturally)

In any case I think if it were on with the rift it could cause nausea

best it stays off
Quote from nacim :...

If my memory serves me right... at the time this was posted we were in the waiting room "some" time before S2 came out (and it felt somewhat like ancient greek comedy, wait this reminds something...isn't it? ).
all my PC is being used for right now is LFS with the dk2

if LFS f3 does get released & it includes the laser scanned track even if it's a beta version
(if that's all it includes that's ok) I'll upgrade to s2 & s3 in one go !
1g head tilt

The problem with this is that the bump reaction is too fast in the viewport. Normally your eyes would be able to track the road smoothly even running over cobblestone but in LFS the whole worldview shakes in high frequency, very quickly leads to tired eyes (especially when using triplescreens and fairly low FOV and sitting close to monitors).

Even with the 1g head tilt set to zero the viewport reacts way too quickly to inertia changes, the dashboard will do this faster than light jump around when you hit a bigger hump and rattles around.

Compared to iRacing where the cockpit movement is much more dampened I'm enjoying driving much more. Plus the "real road" is a much more preferred solution than adding artificial shakes that have nothing to do with the driving surface.
By the way, LFS is back in the top 5 now.

I expect it to go higher as the patches keep coming and more Rifters keep discovering the game. I've tried spreading word (praise) as much as possible in the Oculus subreddit.
Fantastic
Ok, so after vacation, it was finally time to unpack the DK2's, and.... its awesome!

True, the FOV is slightly smaller compared to the DK1, and the aberration is worse, but to be able to stand up in the car while you are driving! WOW!.. and also actually lean out of the car, and take a look at the front wheel while driving, priceless...

It is kinda erie though, to sit in the backseat, and look at your headless self drive the car....

BUT, the extended mode make it impossible to show off to others...

Is there any way Scawen, that you will support the Direct Mode? That would make it much more fun for those who watch, and also easier overall...

/Ole
the best just got better !

thanks for update!
1g head tilt

Right, and then you get this, which judging by your answer, I'm guessing you consider is completely normal and not headache inducing or heck, even epilepsy inducing?

I mean, it's difficult enough to capture in a 33fps gif, but the shaking in 100+fps is just maddening!

I don't think any other game does this high frequency shake, and I don't understand why more people haven't complained about it over the years...

It forces you to set the very setting you recommend to zero for the game to be playable! The user sinbad asked for dampening on this, and that's exactly what I'm talking about as well...

EDIT: I see now that user aaltomar also says basically exactly the same as me, and there are some users in the thread I linked who also seem to agree.
I must say I don't like that shaking either. I've had it off all the time and now when I tried a couple of laps with the head tilt turned on, it was very uncomfortable indeed.

Instead of the head tilt, I've got a bit of lateral/forward/vertical shift on and it feels much better and softer, while not being completely static.

In real life, most of the shaking is compensated/damped by our eyes' ability to "stabilize" the view on the focused point.
In fact, try searching a spot on your desktop, focus on it then start shaking your head up and down. If you have no physical problems, nothing particular should happen, your eyes stay in a stalled position. Harder to execute the same thing with horizontal motions, not to mention the seizure caused by this. That effect acts non-real with the curbs, that's all. These are stuff you feel in your body and neck, rather than shaking your view.
Quote from eobet :I don't think any other game does this high frequency shake, and I don't understand why more people haven't complained about it over the years...

On the AC forum people are actually wanting this shake XD
Quote from eobet :Right, and then you get this, which judging by your answer, I'm guessing you consider is completely normal and not headache inducing or heck, even epilepsy inducing?

I mean, it's difficult enough to capture in a 33fps gif, but the shaking in 100+fps is just maddening!

I don't think any other game does this high frequency shake, and I don't understand why more people haven't complained about it over the years...

It forces you to set the very setting you recommend to zero for the game to be playable! The user sinbad asked for dampening on this, and that's exactly what I'm talking about as well...

EDIT: I see now that user aaltomar also says basically exactly the same as me, and there are some users in the thread I linked who also seem to agree.

Well, that shake indeed is pretty powerful, maybe reduce 50%-90% and see what happens next ( though that kind of shake should be added when tyre damage or something similar, I got once popped tyre with damaged rim and you won't believe what kind of shake happened in high speed, I could not feel my left hand for while as sticking up in steering wheel with enormous shake, and what kind of damage it have caused in car, must have chassis/suspensions broken/loosen at least a bit )

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG