The online racing simulator
Yep, got my Rift, will be plugging in Windows 7 drive tomorrow to try it out and hopefully make LFS work with it quite quickly. For some unknown reason (or maybe for no reason at all) the Rift drivers cannot be installed on Windows XP.
Good luck with supporting it (only on Win7 ), and enjoy it!
Quote from Scawen :Yep, got my Rift, will be plugging in Windows 7 drive tomorrow to try it out and hopefully make LFS work with it quite quickly.

Great to hear. Would be a good idea to get a DK2 test patch in ASAP and beat other competing racing sims to it. Current DK2 owners seem to be going crazy for anything to play. My unit won't be here until monday, UPS is taking a week to get a package from UK to Finland.

Regarding the devkit itself, FOV is apparently quite a bit smaller than it was with DK1, which is quite disappointing, because it was barely acceptable before. Chromatic aberration due to the much smaller screen is also a lot more pronounced according to some people, hoping future SDK updates will improve it as much as possible.

Can't really ask too much from a devkit, though I really hope CV1 will be state of the art VR perfection when it launches next year.
Yes, will try to do it as quickly as possible. Hopefully it can be done in a sort of semi-compatible way without too many changes.

I'm still hoping it might be possible for it to work on XP as well but without the positional tracking. The drivers were apparently added for the camera.

We'll see, though I know not many people will be bothered about XP support.
W7/W8 only seems to be the case indeed, which isn't great for people on older machines, but I can't say I'm surprised they went with that decision.

With the new drivers, Direct HMD access from apps is a great improvement though. It was always a bit of a hassle to get demos running with the DK1 acting as a secondary/tertiary screen, because display mirroring added unnecessary extra input and processing lag for some reason in Windows.

*Edit: If you feel like testing that devkit with some other games, here seems to be a DK2 compatible demo list that's being updated regularly. Can't wait to hear about your first VR experience!
I've been playing a bit with my DK1 since few days and the biggest problem so far for me is the motion sickness caused by sudden movements, but my brain is slowly getting used to it. Today I've tried a few demos and I feel only a bit sick. Haven't tried LFS yet, but I hopefuly will tommorow.

Despite the low resolution, motion blur and lack of positional tracking it's still a mind blowing piece of technology. CV1 will be awesome.

Have fun with your DK2 Scawen. Hope you won't get as sick as I did the first day with the Rift. Hope you will share your VR experiences.
My 2 sets of DK2 arrives today...
... but I'm on vacation on Rhodes for another week... bummer!

I'll start testing the moment I get home though... Dk1 will find a nice place on the shelf....
Quote from Scawen :Yes, will try to do it as quickly as possible. Hopefully it can be done in a sort of semi-compatible way without too many changes.

I'm still hoping it might be possible for it to work on XP as well but without the positional tracking. The drivers were apparently added for the camera.

We'll see, though I know not many people will be bothered about XP support.

True words about XP.

A little off-topic, but please consider this post as well:
https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1843540#post1843540
Quote from okijuhans :True words about XP.

A little off-topic, but please consider this post as well:
https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1843540#post1843540

No, I will not consider that for longer than it takes me to write this post.

As I keep saying, and have said many, many times, it is necessary to support DX9 so that LFS runs on these 3 operating systems :

1) XP
2) Linux
3) Mac

If I moved beyond DX9 then it would not be possible to run LFS on any of those operating systems. It would ONLY run on new Windows. That is NOT an option, so please stop suggesting it. :mad:
In defense of DX9, I can say that it's even hasn't used at half of potential power.
So DX11 support is pointless at the moment.
Quote from Scawen :No, I will not consider that for longer than it takes me to write this post.

As I keep saying, and have said many, many times, it is necessary to support DX9 so that LFS runs on these 3 operating systems :

1) XP
2) Linux
3) Mac

If I moved beyond DX9 then it would not be possible to run LFS on any of those operating systems. It would ONLY run on new Windows. That is NOT an option, so please stop suggesting it. :mad:

Understood! I am personally a Linux user and it is great to run it under the wine sometimes, however Windows XP is kinda dead now. I'm sorry and I promise I am not going to suggest this anymore, because cross-platform support is great, I completely forgot that part!

I can't wait to see LFS at it's full DX9 glory
Quote from Keiichi_Tsuchiya :In defense of DX9, I can say that it's even hasn't used at half of potential power.
So DX11 support is pointless at the moment.

Thank you. Yes, I have a long way to go.

I feel DX8 to DX9 was the biggest and most important step, because of the introduction of HLSL with DX9.

Quote from okijuhans :Understood! I am personally a Linux user and it is great to run it under the wine sometimes, however Windows XP is kinda dead now. I'm sorry and I promise I am not going to suggest this anymore, because cross-platform support is great, I completely forgot that part!

I can't wait to see LFS at it's full DX9 glory

Thanks, no problem.

I've plugged in my Windows 7 HDD and here I am in Windows 7, going OK so far. Now to try the Rift...
Quote from Scawen :I feel DX8 to DX9 was the biggest and most important step, because of the introduction of HLSL with DX9

I think at least now with DK2 shaders are really needed, because the chromatic aberration is much worse and has to be corrected.

Quote from Scawen :Now to try the Rift...

Have fun
Pretty much total fail so far!

Just like all the people on this thread, DK2 doesn't work with the demos provide by Oculus.
The demos and eye measurement thing just crash immediately!
https://developer.oculusvr.com ... 0968&p=153482#p153482

Not much to do with that then. Will see if I can get any results trying to use the SDK.
Sounds strange, then again it's headaches as usual with a new SDK/driver...

Is your processor SSE 4.1 compatible? Someone on the subreddit said it's required by the new driver, which is propably an oversight to be fixed by Oculus, because it would rule out majority of AMD processors.

I found the software IPD measurement tool to be pretty much useless, atleast with the DK1. I ended up getting better results by eyeballing my IPD manually with a ruler and mirror.

*Edit: This seems to be handy.
#69 - troy
http://youtu.be/v7H38HWeeKk

That looks like a lot of fun, I'm really getting antsy here, must wait for CV1... Must wait... Must wait!!!
Quote from Scawen :Pretty much total fail so far!

Just like all the people on this thread, DK2 doesn't work with the demos provide by Oculus.
The demos and eye measurement thing just crash immediately!
https://developer.oculusvr.com ... 0968&p=153482#p153482

Not much to do with that then. Will see if I can get any results trying to use the SDK.

I don´t have my DK2 yet, but I heard this was helpful:
Updated firmware? Switched to extended desktop? Both done through the config utility.
Attached images
firmware.jpg
extended.jpg
Some tips here aswell, along with that service manager I linked couple posts up.
I've connected to the DK2 with my own test program and have tracking info.

Yes I successfully updated the firmware as soon as I got it, as it tells you to do.

The Oculus Demos crash instantly regardless of whether direct mode or extended mode is selected. I've lost interest in the demos, will see how far I can get with LFS...

I was able to see a "wrong" LFS in there by using extended mode, then selecting the second device inside LFS. It was using DK1 distortion and no tracking, so pretty bad of course.
Quote from just2fast :I don´t have my DK2 yet, but I heard this was helpful:
Updated firmware? Switched to extended desktop? Both done through the config utility.

... or try with a 3rd party demo.
this for example runs on my GeForce 9800 GT (without Rift) while the Oculus World demo crashes, too.
Thanks for the tip!

Ocean Rift worked very well and turned out to be my first VR experience.

In LFS DK2 code, I have got a grip on all the tracking (in a separate test program). So now I need to work on the graphical side. The distortion is completely different from the old system, so I don't know how hard it will be.
Really good to hear that you are getting somewhere! I drove hundreds of hours with the DK1 so can hopefully add some feedback once you get a test patch out there.

There's a lot of stuff that can go wrong with the DK2 with the different display modes and ways of executing the demos/applications. I've managed to get everything working so far but it takes some patience. The camera can apparently be one cause of crashing demos as well.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG