The online racing simulator
Does it have that brutal feeling and FFB like in NKP, when driving that Formula Abarth for example, did they numbed it down?
FFb is completely limp, sadly. There are strong aligning forces, but no "feel" whatsoever, at least with the T500RS wheel which is sublime in other sims. Apparently Kunos has decided this is realistic.
Even in open wheelers? I thought that numbness in AC Preview was cause of the fact that Elise might actually feel that way, but in formulas too, Tristan, how close is it?
Quote from sinbad :The KTM is superb, I totally agree with you on that, wonderfully controllable and just great fun.
You have a Driving Force GT too, I believe, what are your wheel settings?

I'm not very clued up on all this clipping stuff, and I'm not exactly sure what it is, but from what I gather it's basically when the wheel can no longer add the force the game is sending to it because it's already at the maximum, so it feels heavy but dead. I've been playing with the forces and using the pedal widget with the red FFB load bar but I can't get it feeling solid without at least some clipping.

I have to add that I have absolutely no regrets purchasing this at this early stage. If we as sim fans aren't prepared to back a developer like KS when they reach this stage then we're not doing ourselves any favours. Besides there are so few car/racing sims that you'd be mad to pass one like this up. It really has the makings of something fantastic, too.

Yup, i have a DFGT. It's set up as it is for all my sims. In the logitech settings its 100 FFB, everything else on 0. Allow game to adjust settings is checked.

In game I'm running between 45-55 FFB gain, depending on the car. Currently no damping or filter. When looking at the FFB meter in game i try and have things set up so it just clips at the very highest moments of load. A little bit of clipping in those moments is fine, you just don't want it clipping every time a relatively small amount of load is on the wheel, that kills all the subtlety and you wont feel the tyres scrubbing very well or the wheel lightening as you understeer etc.

With low end wheels likee ours you're never going to get a realistic amount of weight in the wheel and be able to feel the subtle stuff as well, so its always a compromise when it comes to FFB. Many people feel the wheel is too light when using the settings i use, but I'd rather feel everything the car is telling me when cornering than having a workout with no subtlety in the feel. You can always use a bit of damping in game to reduce the lightness a bit, but i personally find damping just reduces the feeling, so i don't use it.

You can guarantee people complaining that the FFB in AC is like a heavy spring are simply running far too high FFB for their wheels. It will always feel like shit if your saturating the FFB on low end wheels.

Now I'm happy with my settings i think AC has the best FFB of any sim.
Quote from atledreier :FFb is completely limp, sadly. There are strong aligning forces, but no "feel" whatsoever, at least with the T500RS wheel which is sublime in other sims. Apparently Kunos has decided this is realistic.

I found switching down to only 900 degrees from 1080 to feel much better with a T500, give it a try.

1080 required atleast 120% FFB gain and it was still pretty numb.
I've made sure there is no clipping in the game, and even on the relative straights there is no subtlety to the FF at all. I have had tips to lower the driver multiplier as there might be saturation there. I don't know, but in rFactor i get all the subtle forces AND hand-ripping jolts when appropriate, and even LFS and iRacing have subleties that AC doesn't convey at the moment, in my setup. Hoping I'll find the magic bullet, because the physics seem awesome!

Edit: I'll definetly try 900degrees and see if it makes a difference. I've also spotted a FFBFrequency setting in one of hte ini files that is set to 333Hz. I'l experiment with this too, it could be a weird aliasing thing.
Bought it, need some advice.

Even if I change FOV it resets back to .. dunno, completely up-close-messed-up FOV, how to permantly make it look, OK?

Are there no HUD or information aviable on screen? Like a track map or something? I know it's not "realistic", but some information would be good
while driving put your mouse cursor on the right edge of the screen. All kinds of "apps" pop up. :-)
Wuuuuuuuut!
Thanks chap :]

Great looking game btw!
Quote from The Very End :Wuuuuuuuut!
Thanks chap :]

Great looking game btw!

Tried with developer apps on? I checked this from rfactor forum - enables quite alot of things.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\assetto_corsa.ini

[AC_APPS]
ENABLE_DEV_APPS=1
Oh? Will it make me correct gamma and such?
Atm. the game is too bright when driving a tin-top car. Can't see anything out the window but snow
Tried to fiddle around in the menues to see where it might be hiding, but canot find it.

Or the best would be to disable the bloom effect, is that HDR?
In the same folder there is separate "hdr" file, as far as im concerned disabling hdr as it is doesnt change that much. But you can keep it enabled and lower the numbers to your liking.

[HDR]
HIGH_PASS_LEVEL=0.45
BLOOM_BASE=1.0
BLOOM_LEVEL=5.5
BLUR_ITERATIONS=4

I dont know how much it changes in game when these values are modified.
Quote from The Very End :Oh? Will it make me correct gamma and such?
Atm. the game is too bright when driving a tin-top car. Can't see anything out the window but snow
Tried to fiddle around in the menues to see where it might be hiding, but canot find it.

Or the best would be to disable the bloom effect, is that HDR?

You can change the levels of the HDR on the fly with Page Up/ Page Down keys

I think i read they are looking to tweak things with the HDR in tintops at some point.
Tried it and so far do not like it much. It is really a beta version, lots of things is unfinished. Also it only works on DX 10.1 or higher. Setting it to lowest it looks like shiny poo and still doesn't get decent fps.

Mouse is not supported and even when emulating mouse as a joystick it is not possible to have gas and brakes on keys or buttons, only on axis = fail.
NO MOUSE SUPPORT.

BUT YOU GET XBOX360 SUPPORT, think what you want.

Driving on keyboard is quite easy except road cars that under braking handle like a 2CV, feels unrealistic. Some curbs are silly and their physics to me seems screwed up.

Cars have kind of a feel of NFS/GT/rF.

No skins, no colors, limited setups, no track configurations either.

What's worst though is that silly slowdown when you leave track and even worse is that when sliding it changes gas to 75% instead of 100%. Clutch and handbrake do not work either.

How does it handle guys on wheels when driving on the limit?

Setup changes are noticeable but changes of wings by 1 felt rather big changes.
Some cars seem to have infinite grip, which is ok, just depends how real it is and how it handles on the limit. Not driving fast enough means feeling a lot of grip.

When running at low resolutions the GUI is a mess and won't fit there, making certain things in the menu unreachable.

Yes driving with all helpers off and so on and the game still touches gas, brakes, etc. does not even let you speed in pits or turn off pit limiter.
Seems lame.

Hitting it off the ground on 1st gear is more like stalling the car even when I set the 1st gear to fastest possible. Clutch doesn't work so no clutch kicking alá rFactor can't be done.

LFS > rFactor > AC

No idea where iRacing stands haven't tried it, but with it's pricing scheme it seems dead to me. Not going to pay so much for a game and every update, car, track, ...

AC fun game if you like NFS/GT, have a wheel and want to have fun.

Serious sim racing?
To be seen after tons of updates and full features of the game being revealed.

Haven't seen anything said about the physics model, is there any info about it?

Also doing half of the configuration in config files instead of menu and it still doesn't work is a bummer.

No FOV adjustment for me. But it's great they added grass and sand and curbs into a config so one can maybe make those off track surface have same grip as tarmac? LOL
So many incorrect points made in your post i don't know where to begin.

Meh, hopefully someone else can put you straight on a lot of it. I'm going to drive instead.
I would put them straight but I cba. He better forget about it if he really wants to play with mouse...
Quote from JackCY :Tried it and so far do not like it much. It is really a beta version, lots of things is unfinished. Also it only works on DX 10.1 or higher. Setting it to lowest it looks like shiny poo and still doesn't get decent fps.

I think a DirectX10.0 patch was sort of released over the weekend?

Quote from JackCY :Mouse is not supported and even when emulating mouse as a joystick it is not possible to have gas and brakes on keys or buttons, only on axis = fail.
NO MOUSE SUPPORT.

It's a racing sim.

Quote from JackCY :BUT YOU GET XBOX360 SUPPORT, think what you want.

I guess the driver or something is included in DirectX or something.

Quote from JackCY :Driving on keyboard is quite easy except road cars that under braking handle like a 2CV, feels unrealistic. Some curbs are silly and their physics to me seems screwed up.

Can't judge physics with a keyboard. Unless you drive real cars with a keyboard.
Quote from JackCY :Cars have kind of a feel of NFS/GT/rF.

Just no.
Quote from JackCY :No skins, no colors, limited setups, no track configurations either.

There are skins and colours. Setups limited to what is vaguely possible on the actual cars. Track configs will be included later.

Quote from JackCY :What's worst though is that silly slowdown when you leave track

Turn it off in an .ini file.
Quote from JackCY : and even worse is that when sliding it changes gas to 75% instead of 100%.

Electronic stability control??

Quote from JackCY :How does it handle guys on wheels when driving on the limit?

Pretty damn brilliantly.
Quote from JackCY :
Setup changes are noticeable but changes of wings by 1 felt rather big changes.

I'm sure the numbers in the setup area will be refined. At the moment, I'm more concerned that some settings are measurements (degrees, millimeters etc) and others are just arbitrary scales (4 out of 6).
Quote from JackCY :Some cars seem to have infinite grip, which is ok, just depends how real it is and how it handles on the limit. Not driving fast enough means feeling a lot of grip.

Ermmm...
Quote from JackCY :When running at low resolutions the GUI is a mess and won't fit there, making certain things in the menu unreachable.

Really? Not tried running it in DOS mode.
Quote from JackCY :Yes driving with all helpers off and so on and the game still touches gas, brakes, etc. does not even let you speed in pits or turn off pit limiter.
Seems lame.

Oh no, you can't speed in the pitlane. Destroy the game. But I agree that ABS=off should equal ABS=off, even if the real car has it.
Quote from JackCY :Hitting it off the ground on 1st gear is more like stalling the car even when I set the 1st gear to fastest possible.

Erm... Slip the clutch some more.
Quote from JackCY : Clutch doesn't work so no clutch kicking alá rFactor can't be done.

I'm sure it'll be fixed soon enough, but I think most people can drift without needing the clutch.
Quote from JackCY :LFS > rFactor > AC

Well... Too early to be sure exactly, but rFactor is awful. Always has been. Always will be. Unless you're referring to rF2, but I haven't tried that.
Quote from JackCY :Also doing half of the configuration in config files instead of menu and it still doesn't work is a bummer.

It's a beta version really. People who use beta versions are often quite happy fiddling with ini files to find what works without the user interface needing to be designed for every adjustment.
Quote from JackCY :No FOV adjustment for me.

Press + -
Thanks Tristan... well someone had to do it.
Clutch works just fine for me
The clutch dynamics are gay. So finite to actually get a h-shifter car into gear without waiting around in neutral for days to get it into the gear you want. Seems like you have to lift sufficiently even if the clutch is fully depressed. Seen that problem many time with other sims though.
I find the whole clutch thing strange tbh
Even if you put on every assist there is (for testing, and when I tried out how it felt on keyboard bla bla), you have to keep in trottle and clutch at same time to even get the car moving.

Ofc I know that is how a clutch work lol, but it just feels.. it feels strange somehow how the whole clutch mechanism / start mechanism feels.
(it actually tok me solid two mins before I even managed to get car moving since I did not understand I had to push the two pedals at same time ^^).

Is it only me?
Page up and down adjust exposure.
Quote from The Very End :
(it actually tok me solid two mins before I even managed to get car moving since I did not understand I had to push the two pedals at same time ^^).

Is it only me?

Hmm, i just got in the car, depressed the clutch, put it in gear, gave it some gas, released clutch and drove away. You know..just like driving a car

Ohh, well done Tristan. Thanks
Lol, I am serious with you on this, and this is what happend :
I set up the controller for wheel, tok me some mins to figure out why it whent full trottle / brake. Had to push that silly "V" thing in the meny... WHY btw?

Secondly, everything was fine, loaded up and pedals showed signal of not going complete batshit the second the game loaded. I started up and only saw the wheels spinning. Did not quite understand what to do so tapped the clutch. It spiked - nothing happend afterwards. To actually launch the formula car I have to hold the clutch full down with trottle for some SECONDS, and then it start to slowly get up to speed and I can release it.

Isn't the car so powerfull, that even from a stop if you floor it and release the clutch, it should go forward (uncontrollable of course)?

I know I'm on thin ice, but it just did not give new players a good hint of what to do to get the car moving. And more confusing that there is an animation that shows clearly the wheels are spinning if you push down the pedals, but the car is still on it's place. I belived that I had some sort of handbrake on or something but well...
Quote from The Very End :Lol, I am serious with you on this, and this is what happend :
I set up the controller for wheel, tok me some mins to figure out why it whent full trottle / brake. Had to push that silly "V" thing in the meny... WHY btw?

Secondly, everything was fine, loaded up and pedals showed signal of not going complete batshit the second the game loaded. I started up and only saw the wheels spinning. Did not quite understand what to do so tapped the clutch. It spiked - nothing happend afterwards. To actually launch the formula car I have to hold the clutch full down with trottle for some SECONDS, and then it start to slowly get up to speed and I can release it.

Isn't the car so powerfull, that even from a stop if you floor it and release the clutch, it should go forward (uncontrollable of course)?

I know I'm on thin ice, but it just did not give new players a good hint of what to do to get the car moving. And more confusing that there is an animation that shows clearly the wheels are spinning if you push down the pedals, but the car is still on it's place. I belived that I had some sort of handbrake on or something but well...

0mph physics are basically non-existent Watch what happens if you screech all the way to a stop. The nose stays pointed at the floor and then you get the weird sinking effect

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG