The online racing simulator
Probably gave him some experimental piece.
Pretty good race tonight
Looks like that's what also cost FOX the continued rights to F1.

Waste of money, IMO, but I'm sure many others will disagree.

Hope NBC doesn't make a mess of the F1 coverage.
They should just expand Speed2 into some FOX thing that becomes gigantic. I'm guessing that is what they are doing though. Shame it won't have F1 on it as it could actually make for something good if they did.

Fine by me, I watch live using SkySports F1 normally (and not through some nasty stream page).
NBC seems as though they will be providing more F1 coverage than what Speed did anyways, and rumor has it that they are negotiating to steal away FOX's F1 commentators who I feel are pretty good, so it may be an improvement for F1 fans in the US. Fox claims they they were flat outbid, but the NASCAR contract may have something to do with that... or it may not.

In any event, I guess the best broadcast of the series will continue for years to come even though it could see improvements. I was hoping that NBC would pick up ABC's coverage portion, but I guess that probably won't be happening now that they have F1.. Maybe not.
Imagine Wally covering F1.
Let's not.

I do hope NBC also got GP2 in the bargain, though. (And GP3 would be nice, too!)
I'd really like to see how this is going to work.
Easy. No pit stops. The truck races are short enough (Mansfield was a 1/4 mile oval that had a 250 lap that was ran without a pit stop 2 years ago or so) . I'm all for a few dirt track races
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Dega pile-up explained:

An unnamed Renault mechanic was quoted this weekend: "Glad to know Grosjean has a future in racing."
Quote from Cornys :Easy. No pit stops. The truck races are short enough (Mansfield was a 1/4 mile oval that had a 250 lap that was ran without a pit stop 2 years ago or so) . I'm all for a few dirt track races

I mean, I can't imagine the trucks running ridiculous massive slides through the corners like those ridiculous late models always do.
They would just make it hard packed like when ARCA races at Duquoin each year.
Quote from PMD9409 :They would just make it hard packed like when ARCA races at Duquoin each year.

Which, to me, is stupid. They can't find any other ashpalt short track for them to go race at? I have zero desire to see the trucks go to a "dirt" track. It's a gimmick and I don't like it.
It is. Saw your post on iR forum about it too.
they need to test it as a exhibition race first IMO
Quote from PMD9409 :It is. Saw your post on iR forum about it too.

Hah, yes my opinion has not changed.
Quote from UncleBenny :Which, to me, is stupid. They can't find any other ashpalt short track for them to go race at? I have zero desire to see the trucks go to a "dirt" track. It's a gimmick and I don't like it.

So your point is that since the rest of the series is asphalt they shouldn't go to a dirt track? Or are you saying that the track would become so hard it would almost race like an asphalt track?

I agree on the point that they could go to another asphalt track, but if NASCAR would like to start moving 2 or 3 of their races to dirt tracks I'd be all for it. In all series actually. Dirt tracks are a huge part of american oval racing and that the highest level of it doesn't use them is to a degree disappointing to me.

I'd also like for them to test massively before hand so that the race doesn't turn into an abysmal failure of course. If it turns out to race like a paved track anyways I really wouldn't see the point of going there anyways.

Edit: I see your point. There is no point if it would race like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d31XhVm25E0
My point was more that these cars are built to run on asphalt, so that's where they should race. Making Eldora super hard and dry so the trucks can race there isn't a dirt race, so to me there is no point. Let the asphalt cars run on asphalt and let dirt cars run on dirt.

It's not like these are little street stocks that could pretty much run on any track they want to. These are fairly specialized race cars that are built to run on pavement. Just because they could pull off a race on "dirt" doesn't mean they should.

I understand why other people would probably love this idea, just doesn't do it for me though. It would be like the NHL's winter classic, at first it was cool to see a game in a football stadium outdoors, but now they do it every year and its getting terribly played out. "Nascar on dirt" would turn in to the same thing, a gimmick for ratings.

Quote :Edit: I see your point. There is no point if it would race like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d31XhVm25E0

That's pretty much what I was basing my opinion on. The quality of racing isn't that great so I'd say its actually worse than just a normal asphalt track, and its not really dirt racing either. I've also seen actual dirt cars race on a hard packed mile long track like that, the racing sucks.
One thing that I did notice was that both of those race tracks were a mile in length and flat. Eldora is neither, so maybe it would be at least a little more like dirt racing, but maybe it wouldn't. The speeds for those ARCA cars were hideous though. I'd be courious to know what late models look like on those flat one mile tracks.. I doubt they slide a whole lot (of course alot more though)
Quote from Cornys :One thing that I did notice was that both of those race tracks were a mile in length and flat. Eldora is neither, so maybe it would be at least a little more like dirt racing, but maybe it wouldn't. The speeds for those ARCA cars were hideous though. I'd be courious to know what late models look like on those flat one mile tracks.. I doubt they slide a whole lot (of course alot more though)

Here's what the big block modifieds we have up here look like on a track like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgcQXt4eQ

Still can't get over the fact that they race on real dirt tracks all year and then go to a crappy track like that for their biggest and final race. I go to a bunch of their races during the season but I refuse to go to Syracuse.

Sprint cars used to go there too before they deemed it too dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGjhzNZjgv8

Quote from PMD9409 :http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/2012/10/18/aggressive-expansion-theme-sets-tone-for-eldoras-60th-season/

No Prelude to the Dream is too bad, but I didn't even order it last year. It was kind of getting old for me so I don't mind another year off. I actually wish they'd go to a different track every year, would be more exciting.

2012 Nascar Thread for Rednecks
(1589 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG