The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Franky.S :old bmw, divebomb, cold tyres/brakes you never know

Stupidity, adrenaline, inexperience...
Quote from doyal :Road Compliance, Fuel Economy, Comfort, Gadgets, Loudness.. There was quite a few reasons.

I mean, if I had to start work at 5am.. we live in a tiny private cul-de-sac, starting a non silenced sr20 and letting it run at cold idle was beyond a joke. I had to keep parking it away from the house on a main road.

Well, each to their own I guess. The car I'm currently driving to work requires me to wear ear protection.
Altho winter is coming and I have to prepare my more boring car for the daily commute.

I kinda understand why you swapped, maybe I wouldn't done it, but I also wouldn't have the "hobby car" and daily driver combined in one car.
Quote from BigPeBe :Well, each to their own I guess. The car I'm currently driving to work requires me to wear ear protection.
Altho winter is coming and I have to prepare my more boring car for the daily commute.

I kinda understand why you swapped, maybe I wouldn't done it, but I also wouldn't have the "hobby car" and daily driver combined in one car.

It is a costly mistake to have a hobby car and daily driver as one vehicle. When I finally get to save some money I'll get a new daily driver so I can save my truck for special events. My monthly fuel bills are killer. D:
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It is a costly mistake to have a hobby car and daily driver as one vehicle. When I finally get to save some money I'll get a new daily driver so I can save my truck for special events. My monthly fuel bills are killer. D:

Why don't you get a small loan and buy a car? If the fuel bills are gonna be so much lower, it'll pay off in a few months or so.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It is a costly mistake to have a hobby car and daily driver as one vehicle..

Not necessarily/that's an area hatchbacks excel at. Before my first 2.5L swap into the MX-3 died, (loose conrod endcap = bad choice of used engines), that's how I rolled - hobby/daily in one. I had a really fun, zippy car that could do it all & achieve 35mpg+ if I stuck to cruise control etc. Then that engine kicked the bucket while loping down the interstate one day & I had to get a replacement, while I revived her. Now look @ my sig.. :cookiemon Before long I'll likely return to one car, as it'd be nice to spread the money I do have around to other areas.
Quote from matijapkc :Why don't you get a small loan and buy a car? If the fuel bills are gonna be so much lower, it'll pay off in a few months or so.

I am trying to avoid taking out loans to buy vehicles, the company I work for is still on shaky ground so I'm not completely confident I'll have a job for long enough to service any loan.

Quote from Tinytacohead :Not necessarily/that's an area hatchbacks excel at. Before my first 2.5L swap into the MX-3 died, (loose conrod endcap = bad choice of used engines), that's how I rolled - hobby/daily in one. I had a really fun, zippy car that could do it all & achieve 35mpg+ if I stuck to cruise control etc. Then that engine kicked the bucket while loping down the interstate one day & I had to get a replacement, while I revived her. Now look @ my sig.. :cookiemon Before long I'll likely return to one car, as it'd be nice to spread the money I do have around to other areas.

The main thing is time to fix it after you break it. Whenever I go green laning I live in fear of breaking something and then having to get to work on the Monday. Last time something broke I had to get a rental car as the garage I used didn't have a courtesy car ready.

Quite a collection you have there. Insurance would rape me if I had that many vehicles.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :...Whenever I go green laning I live in fear of breaking something and then having to get to work on the Monday. Last time something broke I had to get a rental car as the garage I used didn't have a courtesy car ready.

Quite a collection you have there. Insurance would rape me if I had that many vehicles.

What is "green laning"? So far that one catastrophic failure is the only time I've had a real problem with a hobby/DD mix, and it was a freak occurrence that had nothing to do with how the car was treated. (at least not while I owned the engine) That said, I wasn't talking about a highly tuned track car as a DD or anything either. You've gotta choose wisely if you want to try going down that road & yes, it may bite you in the @ss.

And insurance does rape me, a little bit, but I've rarely got all three insured @ once either. Not being a young punk in the insurance co's eyes helps as well, haha.
Quote from Tinytacohead :What is "green laning"? So far that one catastrophic failure is the only time I've had a real problem with a hobby/DD mix, and it was a freak occurrence that had nothing to do with how the car was treated. (at least not while I owned the engine) That said, I wasn't talking about a highly tuned track car as a DD or anything either. You've gotta choose wisely if you want to try going down that road & yes, it may bite you in the @ss.

And insurance does rape me, a little bit, but I've rarely got all three insured @ once either. Not being a young punk in the insurance co's eyes helps as well, haha.

Green laning is a hobby of driving 4x4s down unpaved roads around the UK. I think it is called trailing in the US. Some are very gentle dirt tracks others are vehicle breakers. After moving from the middle of nowhere it is the only offroad action my truck sees these days.

I'm a dirty old man to the insurers but they still like to stick it balls deep.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Green laning is a hobby of driving 4x4s down unpaved roads around the UK. I think it is called trailing in the US..

Well duhh, of course you wouldn't necessarily want your offroad toy to also be your DD, (unless you had a Wrangler/something pretty reliable & versatile). I wasn't under the impression we were talking about mud holes, rock climbing and/or rally/trail type driving though. He went from a RWD, (that definitely couldn't go far off-pavement), to a peppy FWD with lots of room to haul stuff. All that being said, if I wanted a trail vehicle that could also be a sporty DD, I'd probably buy a Subaru of sorts. FWIW, my first MX-3 saw plenty of offroad action though! (and my first Miata surprised a lot of people who go "green laning" in the mountains behind my house, lol) Oh, and figure this one out.. insurance on the RX is a few bucks cheaper than the Miata?!

EDIT - not mine & but here's a silly vid of my buddy thrashing his beater Legacy, in an area behind my house. (usually dominated by loud 4wd's & cheap beer) please no hate, we were just messing around one sloppy weekend! it's a bone stock automatic with about 260k on the clock & cheap, worn out tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xMBWGbl22I he'd do that one weekend, then drive it 400 miles back to college Monday after only washing the windows
My main problem with having a combined daily driver and hobby car was that you can't really build it properly. I used to have that problem, but not for some time anymore. Like P5YcHoM4N said weekend isn't just enough to do any big jobs (like building and tuning a decent engine).
Tho many people define hobby car differently so big jobs may not be required. I just never enjoyed doing stuff to the car I had to rely to be my transportation soon again.
Just found a mosselman turbo kit for my car... To do or not to do..
Quote from Scrabby :Just found a mosselman turbo kit for my car... To do or not to do..

Do
yes do,but on a long distance get forged pistons and rods
What hp figures will that give? I say do it.
I'd say a naturally aspirated engine is better for drifting. The engine is more balanced, it's got a more predictable power curve. You don't need 400 whp to get your car sideways so save the money for something else.
Max power is the way to go fo shizzle ma nizzle

Just get it boosted.
wow
Boost will get you laid

Oh and btw

Quote from 5tag :I'd say a naturally aspirated engine is better for drifting. The engine is more balanced, it's got a more predictable power curve. You don't need 400 whp to get your car sideways so save the money for something else.

Oh, I forgot to mention. It's for my daily 318i lol.
Unless the M3 engine dies, there won't be anything done to it . But I still have my bulletproof 325i engine and those can handle turbo's really well..
Quote from G!NhO :

Those rims really fit the car.... in a weird and arousing way...
Quote from G!NhO :Boost will get you laid...

It looks as though you're in serious need of some boost then.
Quote from G!NhO :

Don't you know anybody who studied design who you could've asked for advice?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Don't you know anybody who studied design who you could've asked for advice?

Nope, but if i knew anybody i would have driven a stock boring modern car.

Thanks though.
Doesn't look bad tbh, did it yourself?
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG