The online racing simulator
TVs, usually lower end flatscreen LCDs have a pretty high input lag AND response time compared to PC monitors.

Response time does not equal input lag. Response time is the LCD's ability to change from black, to white, to black again (or grey to grey). Higher response times causes things like ghosting.

Input lag is how long it takes for the TV to display an image after given info about it. TVs usually process the image before you see it. Examples are sharpening, color, 120hz conversion, smoothing, etc. This processing usually contributes to input lag.

When you combine high response time with high input lag, the game feels laggy and unresponsive. This is why some competitive FPS players (and even competitive Super Smash Bros players) like playing on CRT TVs or CRT monitors because they exhibit really low input lag and response times compared to even the highest end flat screen TVs.

Luckily, on a lot of TVs, there is a "Game Mode" that you can activate to lower the input lag by skipping the processing of the image the TV has to do. I use it when playing Gran Turismo 5, and it works pretty well.

Hell my Panasonic 32" LCD TV (TC-L32U3) doesn't even list the response time in its specs, but there is a "Game Mode" in there and it's perceptibly better playing with that on than with it off.

I don't think you need to worry about the apparent lag you see. It's probably attributed to the TV and I doubt it was put in a "Game Mode" that is used to lower input lag for playing games and such.

Though if you really want to make sure the massive input lag isn't coming from the game, test it on a high end PC monitor with very little input lag and response time. Also test with V-sync off and use a powerful single GPU (more info about input lag in this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803)
AC looks really fun. Can't wait to try the drifting mode. The most enjoyable drifting I've experienced in a sim is probably drifting in Grand Prix Legends in a mod called the Formula 2 mod. They're lower powered cars than the default 67s' but they're easier to tame and incredibly fun to drive. Anyone here played it? I hope we see them in AC
I was at GamesCom on Friday.
I also drifted in this game. When I tried it for the first time I couldnt hold the drifts, the car just flipped back straight or I spun. Second time was quite okay and at the third time I rocked that thing.

This Simulator is just awesome, it feels so great with the Fanatec. Even the Developer was surprised how fast I managed to drift that good, I did better than him at the end

So while I was drifting, a guy from Insidesimracing thought I was one of the people who can't drive. Second time he watched, he noticed that I was drifting and he really liked it so he recorded it. He said; If I'm lucky, I will get in one of the Insidesimracing videos with my drifting. The possibility is quite high because he really loved what he saw.

If it was up to me, I would've never left that stand. That simulator is just fantastic, and it could be true that this sim could beat lfs.

At the next day I saw that I had 2 new friends in facebook, with one message.

Quote :Marco Massarutto
welcome in the club of drifting addicted people

Marco & Aristotelis: I'm looking forward to see you next year at the Gamescom again!
Can you post your impressions of the FFB Vistaman? That was the best part of NKP for me (and LFS for that matter) and is my biggest disappointment about iRacing, even with the new linear option. How does it feel? I'm glad to hear the feel of the sim came naturally to a sim racer.
Have Kunos given us any detail about what the online portion of AC is going to be like? If they are hoping to compete with iRa$ing they're gonna need to incorporate a serious online structure into the game, complete with collision and off track penalties. Otherwise it's going to kill any hope of having a decent public arrive and drive environment. Part of the reason why iRacing is so successful is because at the end of the day, once you get past the graphics, physics, the interface and the sound, it's ALL about the thrill of on track competition.

I'm aware of how important leagues are to some people, but a growing part of the sim community are voicing their opinions on how they'd much rather have a straight up arrive and drive at any time during the week structure.A lot of people(including myself) don't have the time to dedicate to a once a week schedule at a certain time that a league requires.

I'm hoping Kunos will take online multiplayer serious enough to consider these things. Because if the online is a no holds barred playground with no rules and people can just jump in and wreck other drivers with no consequence whatsoever, then I'm afraid this sim will not see the success we're hoping it sees.

Thoughts?
I read somewhere that they were considering an LFSworld type system, only with more structure for online racing I think. Let me try and dig out that article, it's in this thread somewhere.
I think they have pretty much confirmed that there won't be complex scheduled online racing system like in iracing. And it won't be monthly payments but one time buy like lfs for example.
God i need a demo or some beta asap..
1.5months for a demo, 1 track 1 car, hoping for a 2012 release for full version.
You read that wrong dejavu, the plan is to release a techdemo "soon", which will be one car plus one track, with the goal to run it on as many different systems as possible to check for any problems in their brand new engine, there will be an announcement about that at the end of August. Then there will be the full version plus a demo at some later point in 2012, we got no info what will be included in the full version demo.

And at the guy praising the iRacing system, personally that is putting me off iRacing rather then making me want to play it. I hate being forced to get online at a certain time on a certain day to play my favourite combo, just take the radical championship, if I don't have time on the weekend I will never be able to race it competitively (yes there are hosted sessions but that is not what you're talking about with the "iRacing system").

I just want to have a nice race or two in the evening without thinking too much about dropping a wheel and loosing 0.1 rating every time while the next guy probably wants the complete opposite and I think Kunos knows that there are a lot of different people to cater for so he doesn't want to limit the software to one group or the other. He mentioned already that there will be no such system built into assetto but Programmers are welcome to use the extensive modding features to build one of their own.
Quote from troy :He mentioned already that there will be no such system built into assetto but Programmers are welcome to use the extensive modding features to build one of their own.

Bingo.
Sounds very promising! Can't wait to try it out myself with my Fanatec CSW...
Quote from isamu : Part of the reason why iRacing is so successful is because at the end of the day, once you get past the graphics, physics, the interface and the sound, it's ALL about the thrill of on track competition

Agreed. But I think for a lot of people it's just as much being able to measure yourself against other drivers (stop giggling at the back!). At anytime in iRacing you can see the fastest Q, practice and race paces of the best drivers in a track/car combo currently run and know where you stand. Since sim racers are generally over-competitive head cases, this is important. We are told that a large proportion of 'sim racers' don't even race on-line. Even in iRacing, many people only do 2 races a week in a series because of the championship points system + pressure and need to practice to maintain iRating. In iRacing you've a guaranteed race every hour/2hours in Mx-5 or skip. But there aren't enough on-line sim racers to find that in every car/track you might want even with iRacing's large captive membership.

I'm also thinking there might be an issue for any sim introducing environmental conditions e.g. weather/grip levels; it no longer becomes possible to compare hotlap times meaningfully. So an element of interest/motivation is removed for the off-line drivers. I'd suggest a "hotlap mode" which has a fixed starting environment and number of laps say 10 - so you can still lay down some rubber. But otherwise the same conditions for everyone.

A good AI, and ability for modders to create some sort of competitive system with rules/penalties would be the best we can hope for I suppose. With a driving aids option to bring in the arcade boys (and money) in addition to a hard core sim physics, I think AC could really be a winner. rFactor2 was more hope than expectation for me and ultimately disappointed; it's got too much wrong for me at this stage - like iRacing - to think the creators will ever get it right. But I really think AC could be it...what I've been waiting for. :goodvibes
Quote from Postman Pat :Agreed. But I think for a lot of people it's just as much being able to measure yourself against other drivers (stop giggling at the back!). At anytime in iRacing you can see the fastest Q, practice and race paces of the best drivers in a track/car combo currently run and know where you stand. Since sim racers are generally over-competitive head cases, this is important. We are told that a large proportion of 'sim racers' don't even race on-line. Even in iRacing, many people only do 2 races a week in a series because of the championship points system + pressure and need to practice to maintain iRating. In iRacing you've a guaranteed race every hour/2hours in Mx-5 or skip. But there aren't enough on-line sim racers to find that in every car/track you might want even with iRacing's large captive membership.

I'm also thinking there might be an issue for any sim introducing environmental conditions e.g. weather/grip levels; it no longer becomes possible to compare hotlap times meaningfully. So an element of interest/motivation is removed for the off-line drivers. I'd suggest a "hotlap mode" which has a fixed starting environment and number of laps say 10 - so you can still lay down some rubber. But otherwise the same conditions for everyone.

A good AI, and ability for modders to create some sort of competitive system with rules/penalties would be the best we can hope for I suppose. With a driving aids option to bring in the arcade boys (and money) in addition to a hard core sim physics, I think AC could really be a winner. rFactor2 was more hope than expectation for me and ultimately disappointed; it's got too much wrong for me at this stage - like iRacing - to think the creators will ever get it right. But I really think AC could be it...what I've been waiting for. :goodvibes

Yeah you may have a good point there.
I'm looking forwards to it too. An update to the best physics model overall, nice graphics without too much bling, no stupid subscription, no fixed race times, hopefully no silly safety rating system...

It'll be like iRacing, but with better physics, better graphics, better pricing model and better online systems.
After watching a couple of vids about this one I'm really looking forward to this one! At least it looks magnificient!
In German (more extensive, translation for key points would be great): http://www.racemore.de/communi ... e=Thread&threadID=570

Stuff he wrote in english:
Quote :- There will be no night racing and weather in the first build.
- They have an old version of the Nordschleife (i think they mean the one that is in nKPro) included into the sim and working on a licence to have it official in the game. They would like to scan it but (I think it was Marco who told me that) it would be a very big project. But they really want to have it into the game.
- They aim the second week of September for the Tech-Demo. But you must have a nKPro License to try it out.
- They think of a pre-order which could start soon with some discount on it.
- You can NOT yet turn the wheel off (graphics option). They don't know if they will include it. Definately not for the first build.
- The Performance (graphics) of AC will be "much better than pCARS and a little better than rFactor2"

And there is a lot more they have told me...but its very hard to remember all of the long talks. I think I have talked to Marco (with someone from Atlantic Racing Team) over one hour. And with Aris 30 minutes and a little shorter with Stefano.

They are very kind and have great enthusiasm about all what they are doing. It was a great experience to meet them and try the game out.

The graphics bit is just talking about how much GPU processing is required, not quality of graphics.
I'd be crazy not to be able to turn off the virtual wheel. Bad for immersion (imo) and frame rate. Hate having a virtual wheel there.
I doubt the virtual wheel has much impact on FPS, but it is nice to disable it for those who choose to. Personally, I find it weird to NOT have the wheel and arms on the screen, UNLESS your actual wheel perfectly covers it in your view.
Another few bits not translated:

- There will be no player limit on the multiplayer side, so in theory you could play with 100+ cars if your server can handle it.
- There will be no driver swap in the initial version but they plan to add it
- they got no night version as mentioned, but they can already simulate the rest of the day (sun coming up - to sundown)

He talks a lot about how the cars and stuff felt but I can't be bothered to translate all of that. All in all he seemed impressed (he is usually playing LFS and iRacing)
Quote from MAGGOT :I doubt the virtual wheel has much impact on FPS, but it is nice to disable it for those who choose to. Personally, I find it weird to NOT have the wheel and arms on the screen, UNLESS your actual wheel perfectly covers it in your view.

This, feels very wierd without arms and wheel, almost unplayable for me..
Out of interest, why would you want to see 2 wheels and someone else's arms? Feels like I'm not really driving.

It makes a difference to frame rate in iRacing. Pretty sure in everything else too.
Quote from troy :Another few bits not translated:

- There will be no player limit on the multiplayer side, so in theory you could play with 100+ cars if your server can handle it.
- There will be no driver swap in the initial version but they plan to add it
- they got no night version as mentioned, but they can already simulate the rest of the day (sun coming up - to sundown)

He talks a lot about how the cars and stuff felt but I can't be bothered to translate all of that. All in all he seemed impressed (he is usually playing LFS and iRacing)

Thanks!
Quote from Postman Pat :Out of interest, why would you want to see 2 wheels and someone else's arms? Feels like I'm not really driving.

It makes a difference to frame rate in iRacing. Pretty sure in everything else too.

I don't know maybe because i got used to it in LFS, it just feels more natural imo then just a wheel, or no wheel at all.. gives me a better feedback.
Yeah, I find I can only drive with the virtual wheel if there's no input lag whatsoever. If there's even a fraction of a second between my real hands moving and the virtual hands moving I just find it way too distracting.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG