The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
the car models are amazing really, almost overkill for a racing sim.
Quote from Tango :Alot of the tracks were Shift 2 content,they have been reworked and tweaked but not massively different,the cars on the other hand,well they are new,with rewritten physics,force feedback and lighting plus DX11 support.
Tango

everything that is in shift 2 is copyrighted by EA so it must be redone

fer example laguna seca was also in shift 2 just look how heavily wip it is now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRp1tYEtDiE
yeah the shift 2 content would be owned by EA but they have taken the basic 3d world and layout and stripped the buildings out and replaced with they`re own 3d models and textures,narrowed some of the tracks(bathurst) and made alot more tweaks using community feedback(pictures and vids),overall even though the current content isnt laser scanned,the tracks are looking very accurate.
Tango
Quote from Tango :yeah the shift 2 content would be owned by EA but they have taken the basic 3d world and layout and stripped the buildings out and replaced with they`re own 3d models and textures,narrowed some of the tracks(bathurst) and made alot more tweaks using community feedback(pictures and vids),overall even though the current content isnt laser scanned,the tracks are looking very accurate.
Tango

In most track threads you can even see the google maps images as a base. Trust me, they have to do it from scratch and they also do it.

(Of course they look similar but if they wouldn't, they would do something wrong)
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Is that in the F1? If so something is wrong, because the wheel almost gets ripped from my hands if I'm not careful (I haven't increased the FFB, that's with defaults)

Yes, the holes are jarring but in the sections where those bumps are not prevalent it's so smooth for me.
i got some guestions from this game.
Q1: Was it worth of 10€-25€-45€?
Q2: How realistic cars it has?
Q3: How realistic its kart is ?
Q4: What about tracks... Good or bad... bumps in right spots or awfully wrong?
Q5: Skinning? How easy/Possible?
Q6: Setupping? Even possible?
Q7: AI versus ONLINE? Enough competitive AIs/Easy to change difficulty?

PLEASE ANSWERS AND FAST!!!
Quote from teppo.jr :i got some guestions from this game.
Q1: Was it worth of 10€-25€-45€?
Q2: How realistic cars it has?
Q3: How realistic its kart is ?
Q4: What about tracks... Good or bad... bumps in right spots or awfully wrong?
Q5: Skinning? How easy/Possible?
Q6: Setupping? Even possible?
Q7: AI versus ONLINE? Enough competitive AIs/Easy to change difficulty?

PLEASE ANSWERS AND FAST!!!

1. I've paid 25 euros so far. I'm sure I'll put more into it down the line as well.
2. It's pretty decent. On par the majority, nothing revolutionary in terms of physics, though.
3. Haven't tried it yet.
4. Pretty damn good.
5. Only one skin per car at the moment, in the future proper custom skinning with multiple liveries will be available. The skinning right now is more flexible than any other sim I've ever seen, though; you can have matte, gloss and anything in between as well as REAL chrome effects, all done with the use of specular/fresnel maps. There's also a metallic paint shader but that's not available to skinners yet; some work to sort out on the shaders to make it more useable. The template mapping is pretty difficult for the cars I've looked at; they're taking a more FPS 'put everything everywhere and cram-fill the entire texture' approach instead of creating an easier-to-skin layout that wastes some space. I prefer an easier template to skin, but they don't want to waste memory with blank space on a texture. This also produces some weird warping issues on very curvy surfaces; especially noticeable on the sidepods of the NotAnF1 car.
6. Yes, setups are possible. Not dabbled much in there yet, though (I don't tend to, really)
7. Haven't raced against any AI yet, though people are enjoying them. Currently there is no online portion, but this is coming.
1. paid 100€ (senior membership)... not too much for getting weekly updates for the next >2 years until release imho (but game is still at alpha stage!)

3. kart feels quite good atm, got shifter karts as well, not as good as in 'kart racing pro' but they're closing up there...

4. very detailled tracks indeed, new updates of all tracks coming constantly!

Totally worth it!
sounds nice maybe ill be buying it in close future.
Quote from teppo.jr :sounds nice maybe ill be buying it in close future.

Don't leave it for too long, the "pre-purchase" may be closed during the next weeks.
PCARS is the most revolutionary sim since... LFS!
3 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo models announced today; licenses acquired.
Quote from whiskey :don't leave it for too long, the "pre-purchase" may be closed during the next weeks.

o_o yikes
hopefully they improve the handling/ffb/physics more and do a better job than previous sims at simulating awd cars and their various systems
Last Friday build released a Classic Stock Car, based on a 1990 NASCAR season model, which indicates probably that soon enough we will have an oval to test.

Says who tested it that, for a place-holder version, it is quite surprising for the good. With some more work, it can be a great option for all the NASCAR fans...
So is this game worth playing or what?
I've enjoyed the few minutes I've been able to find to play with it. The small prototype cars (Radical and Jaguar) are fun. There's a small Formula car (similar to FOX I guess) coming as well.
Is that mountain road fun? Will there be road cars in the future?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Is that mountain road fun? Will there be road cars in the future?

Yes, great fun. There's already a Caterham and Gumpert Apollo, and 3 variations of Lancer Evo were just announced last week.
Quote from Bean0 :Yes, great fun. There's already a Caterham and Gumpert Apollo, and 3 variations of Lancer Evo were just announced last week.

Plus the three Atoms. At least one of them is street legal, in some countries, I think. I know the Atom is not overtly legal in Canada, but there was a doctor who managed to get one licensed in Toronto somehow (he won't share how, though).

By 'mountain course' are you referring to the open coastal roads, BBT? Or the "hillclimb" section of the test track? I haven't touched the test track in months, but it wasn't very fun IIRC. The coast roads, on the other hand, are fairly enjoyable at times. I don't like the highway stretches and I wish they were much longer, but they're fun.
yeah I mean't the coastal ones... looks nice in the screenshots.

Can't decide whether I want to try this or not
Build 202 here, is it me or has the test track vanished/been renamed and I just missed it?

Oh and the Formula B is my new fave car, that and the Caper Monterey is amazing (hint: in build 202 it has oval and road setups)
Build 202 is awesome. I didn't like the game a single bit to be honest, but this feels great!

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG