The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
Quote from The Very End :How do you feel the physics are now? Does it feel like driving a car?

To me the physics feel absolutely authentic and it's improving every week. A massive physics update hasn't made it into this friday's release but will be included next week for sure.

Can't say anything about the FFB due to the input device I'm using for over 10 years now. (see attached image)

But from what people say on the forums FFB is going into right direction as well...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's last week's changes:

Build Release Notes
Build 160 (24/2/12, Team Member +)
FFB:
- Added the notion of 'fade level' to BForceEffect, used as a secondary gain control
- Added the notion of 'boost' to AppInput::cForce. Used to promote one particular force above the others (0 = no boost - no change, 1 = max boost - completely silences all other forces).
- cForceSteeringSpring modified to include a 'lock' mode where the effect params are switched to emulate a bump-stop when the wheel lock has been exceeded.
- Removed cForceSteeringLock.
Disabled legacy deadzone helpers.
Removed ultra shadow option, until it can be properly debugged and reinstated taking into account the shadow changes
New Loire export
Known issue on the Racer cars, driver has been removed for now, also cockpit cam is a bit too close to the dash.

Build 159 (24/2/12, Team Member +)
MUST START A NEW PROFILE WITH THIS BUILD
Severity of vehicle crash damage state is not decreased when vehicle collides with heavy dynamic object
Tweaked Logitech FFB kerb settings
Limit fallback AIs to race liveries
Increase freecam speed to compensate for changes to time steps - now correctly matches whether paused or not, and feels more appropriate for fast and slow modes
Disabled other uses of key combinations required by freecam when in freecam mode, to prevent accidental debug information etc
Changed shake effect code to properly reflect requested frequency, by not resetting to a movement endpoint on whole tick boundaries
Pre heat brakes to optimal values based on vehicle
Added PC support for Fanatec CSR, CSRE, CSW wheels using 911 as template - no per device button config applied as yet
Added undertray scrape audio volume
Ensure newer Fanatec controllers cannot match to older Turbo S wheel
Add profile option to toggle HUD map on/off
Completed last few remaining free-camera isses which were effected by pausing and unpausing the game.
Changed call to camera callback when paused to use core tick rate (180Hz) instead of sub tick rate (30Hz) as basis for the timer value, this fixes the camera speed changing when paused
Added custom Depth of Field mode
Enable camera editing when paused
Reduced effect of wheel to wheel collisions (and chance of them happening to the player)
Formula A, Formula B, TDX, Racer4x, Racerv8, Gumpert Appollo, Asano X4, F68, F77, F86, Kart, and Super Kart: Physics updates
Fixed trees cutting through wall at Bologna
Gumpert: excluded paint colours from AI races
Added fresnel/specular maps for all custom liveries
Vehicle client versions incremented in advance of Aries server-side leaderboard reset (physics/tyre changes)
Leonus F68: added metallic liveries + fresnel
Show Map on HUD added
Louder Caterham AI sounds
New Bathurst, Bologna, and Loire exports

Build 158 (23/2/12, Senior Manager)
Improved dither matrix to assist with A2C dithered trees
Shadow updates: Back to 4 frustums. Higher res PC shadow maps. Improved cascade calculations
PC: Added protection against force update thread running during device restart
Fanatec textdb entries and placeholder controller icons
Foliage shaders converted to perform phase 3 light and alpha dithering - also added non-shadow lighting functions needed for these to work in phase 3
HUD: fixed overlapping numbers
Chassis scrape sound in, needs further tuning
Changes to the AI tyre slip, grip balance, and chassis under carrige stiffness. This is to try to settle the Caterham AI down. No change to the player car
Funnel the AI into turn 1 plus a few other corners on the track to keep them off the inside kerbs at CH
Reduced underbody stiffness to match other formula cars. Leonus 78 and 98T
Fixed bustop chicane AI drivng up on first kerb and crashing at Belgium Forest
Fixed lightglows, minor optimizations on Racer cars
Formula A: Added fresnel/spec map for custom livery
Edit fuel milage, underbody stiffness reduced on the TDX
New Racer cars exports

Build 157 (22/2/12, Senior Manager)
Fix for the 30-35kph induced drift/slide
Tyre Force and Tyre Grip F1 menu ranges extended
Deferred centre spring adjustment for DirectInput devices to force update thread
Default damage to visual only
Gumpert: fixed missing alpha on blurred disc spec map
New changes from Ben Collins feedback on the Formula A. Increased turnin through various changes. increased lower RPM torque considerably in the engine
Asano X4: Changes per Bens Collins feedback, reduced the longitundinal stiffness closer to the lateral stiffness. This was proabaly responsible for the "auto centering" noted by some. Rebalanced the chassis to match. Increased lock and adjusted down steer ratio to match
Increased AI grip for some lower downforce cars
Added back in some camber relative stiffness
Leonus F68: fixed wobbling rear wheel
Changed full installer to be split into multiple chunks due to 2gb size limit
New Loire exports
New Formula B export
New Leonus F68 export

Build 156 (21/2/12, Manager+)
Bring Fanatec wheel config in line with other manufacturer wheels. This is mostly for testing with CSRE/CSW and by Fanatec for any potential driver updates. Also the F1 menu items spring coefficient and gain become more relevant. New profile would be required for anyone testing this change
FFB update: squashed a bug that was adding deadzone based upon steering lock
Gearbox damage from an event should not rely on players gameplay flags
Default camera shake effects off until they're working properly again
PC steering deadzone defaulted to zero
Fanatec steering force mix set at "Hardware"
Updated Fanatec device profile defaults to suit CSW
Default lap info display off
Gumpert: added metallic/matte effects to liveries
Added back some undertray springing for the Formual A, dropped the Formula B to match
Unlocked chase cam so camera looks in direction of velocity a little

Build 155 (20/2/12, Senior Manager)
Added function that will return the numeric version.
Added two render contexts to allow special modifications to the glass shader
Advance player physics after pushing new location during rolling start
Initially picked waypoint on track is behind start line - fixes lap counter for first grid spot and longer vehicles
GUMPERT: Livery names added
Temporary master volume reduction (50%) pending investigation into some users reporting clipping.
Increased sharpening+ mip alpha edge fixed trees at Belgian Forest
Added color variation in the GUMPERT
New Atom exports
Attached images
clutchshifter_02.jpg
Started playing this since Thursday night but have only been driving one combo mainly Asano x4 @ Connecticut Hill GP, the new build makes the cars more enjoyable to drive but still now close to being called a sim but it's much better than most car games out there they just need to keep improving on the physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hPCI6dYNe4
Having so much fun with the Formula B at Imola and Watkins Glen.
Nice simulator man. I like it. I want to play it .
Goodbye!
Could someone please explain their feeling driving this eyecandy sim? Does it actually feel somehow like rFactor, iRacing or LFS? When this gained popularity, I remember how I really saw many similarities in car behaviour like in Shift 1,2. They were driving very stiff and so.
Rofl, didn't notice the video before now
Quote from kars19 :The most advanced physics engine ever made

Ben Collins actually agree's about this video, saying there is some sort of artificial assistance. I'd love to see Ian Bell's reaction to that as yet he hasn't specifically replied about Stigs comments

The thread that this video was initially posted in didn't go down to well with SMS
Can you post the link to ben collin's comments on the video please? It seems that the thread discussing this video was deleted/hidden?
I've not really been keeping up with anything other than how it looks and feels (at least appears to feel, from the videos) - Is Ian Bell, Ian 'Elite and Frontier' Bell?
Somebody please enlighten me: apart from eerily similar handling of cars that span half a century and apparently meaningless friction percentages, what's wrong with four wheel drifts?
Quote from DejaVu :Ben Collins actually agree's about this video, saying there is some sort of artificial assistance. I'd love to see Ian Bell's reaction to that as yet he hasn't specifically replied about Stigs comments

The thread that this video was initially posted in didn't go down to well with SMS

he told me in the lfs thread that they did a major update in the physics last friday (dind't test it yet)

Quote :There was a major update on friday past. Some issues but in general a great step forward overall.

Quote from Crashgate3 :Is Ian Bell, Ian 'Elite and Frontier' Bell?

No. This is Ian 'Mod For F1 2002' Bell - unrelated.

Quote from bbman :Somebody please enlighten me: apart from eerily similar handling of cars that span half a century and apparently meaningless friction percentages, what's wrong with four wheel drifts?

Nothing at all. Four wheel drifts are fun.
If, however, you are referring to the ones in the video then I'd say they look more like something a modern day 4WD car with fancy computer controlled differentials would do.
Well as I see it the front wheels are meant to be pointed in the direction that the car is traveling in a RWD drift (that's how real life drifters control the skid, the direction of thefront wheels is typically where the car goes). If the front wheels are traveling in the direction of the drift, however, then they should not skid (like a normal car traveling in a straight line).

Seeing as the wheels are skidding in the video then they must not be pointed in the direction of travel, which means that the direction of the drift is not being dictated by the direction of the wheels. The only time I can think of this happening in real life in a RWD car is when you completely lose control and all four wheels skid as you spin completely around. If all four wheels are skidding (non 4WD), then you must be out of control or pretty close to it because you can no longer control the car with the direction of the front wheels because they have no grip.

Essentially, either the front wheels are skidding when they shouldn't be (my guess, but I haven't played it) or the tyre physics are coded in a way that allows the front wheels to control the direction of the drift despite the fact that they are not pointed towards the direction of travel and have no grip. The characteristics of the cars shown are, as Xaotik said, those of a 4wd car in a drift (I think power slide may be better here), not those of a RWD car in a drift.

Before anyone comes and flames me, this is just my very basic understanding of tyre physics and I may be completely inaccurate. Please correct me if so.
It's true, if the angle of steering is correct for the angle of drift then the front wheels should be rotating. Unless of course the brake is applied.
I'm having trouble to find good steering settings and even finding the way to change the view, since the cockpit feels like impossible to drive with for me.. : |
Quote from Hahmo :I'm having trouble to find good steering settings and even finding the way to change the view, since the cockpit feels like impossible to drive with for me.. : |

the camera ajustments are made with the wasd keys (for all cams exept tv cam)
mhm, cheers. steerings still ****ed up a lot
Quote from Hahmo :mhm, cheers. steerings still ****ed up a lot

Have a muck around with checking or unchecking 'enable centering spring' in the logitech profile (if you have a g25). It can give you a wildly different feel, even with the slider set to 0 in both cases. I almost gave up driving until I sorted that out. Some settings give a badly pronounced centering effect which feels really unnatural.
The biggest issue I'm having with pCARS is that it seems that 5 degrees on my wheel is 20 degrees in the game. =/ The smallest rotation of the wheel sends the car darting to the side; small movements are all but impossible. Granted I haven't had the time to really try to tweak anything, yet, but the fantastic options for car paint schemes (OOO Chrome!) are pulling me back to it...
update: new, configurable day night transition since last friday's build.
Quote from rediske :update: new, configurable day night transition since last friday's build.

omg O_O gotta update

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG