The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from e2mustang :if u go from a bmw to vw because rust,u just made the worst decision in your life ! vw rust like shit ! my buddy had a 98 jetta vr6 and the drivers seat almost fell thru the floor 1 day,it was so funny

The Jetta based on the Golf II was much less prone to rust than the MKIII Golf/Jetta
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Nice Civic. Don't waste money on engine mods though. The D16Y7 only puts out around 105hp IIRC, and won't give much due to being a SOHC non-vtec unless you go the FI route and throw money at it.

B16 swap would cost no more than £500 for everything, and even stock will give you 160hp+ to play with.

Already throwing money at it.

Bought a Skunk2 inlet which is universal throughout the D15-D16 range. I'm going to go for a mini me Vtec head swap. Other than that only mani and exhaust modding. Lows and small exterior mods.

Waste of money on such a terrible engine IMO, but hey it's your car.

Why not just drop in a B16 though? Insurance reasons?
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Waste of money on such a terrible engine IMO, but hey it's your car.

Why not just drop in a B16 though? Insurance reasons?

I don't see it as a waste, as it works on all D15's and D16's. I'm doing a vtec head swap in the future, maybe even a turbo. This intake should be better as the positioning is better, over the Top mount throttle body that I have at the moment.

I've been told these engines have very good internals. But plan is to keep this car for a while and could easily work my way to a k20 swap.
Wouldn't be the way I do it, but nevermind.

Keep us posted!
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Wouldn't be the way I do it, but nevermind.

Keep us posted!

How would you go about getting power without an engine swap? This engine has done 90k and sounds sweet as a nut and runs really well. Whats the point in ripping it out. May as run it into the ground and then swap it.
Thats exactly it though, I wouldn't even bother attempting to get anymore power from that engine as they are hard to get decent gains without going for the forced induction route.

For example, you have just bought a Skunk intake manifold, which will barely give you any horsepower increase unless you go get the ECU remapped to suit...But here's the kicker, you cannot modify your cars map as your ECU will not allow access, so the only option is to either fit an ECU that does allow changes (Integra Type R one for example...) or you can go for independent management which is fantastic to have, but costs £££.

As for running that engine into the ground, good luck with that! Those D-series engines are pretty indestructible.

Not trying to put down your car or upgrades. It's just that it's not a very good base to use for tuning, and while big power is available to have on the D-series, it's a lot harder and more expensive compared to the B, H and F series.. And I am by no means biased because my Accord is running a DOHC VTEC F-series....honest!
Quote from Nathan_French_14 : you cannot modify your cars map as your ECU will not allow access, so the only option is to either fit an ECU that does allow changes (Integra Type R one for example...) or you can go for independent management which is fantastic to have, but costs £££.

You hit a sore spot on me with that one.
Goddam I HATE Honda ECUs... Biggest pain in the ass to work with. Personally the most I would do with a Honda ECU is split it open to solder in the High side switch and resistors for the VTEC swap and I'd still charge around £100 for that.
Go with Independent aftermarket. Save yourself some money in the long run.

Edit: I am very biased though. I hate Hondas...
Independent ECU's can be pretty cheap if you're willing on going thru the DIY route. For instance a Megasquirt I'd imagine would be possible to get for under 200 euros.
Quote from skstibi :You hit a sore spot on me with that one.
Goddam I HATE Honda ECUs... Biggest pain in the ass to work with. Personally the most I would do with a Honda ECU is split it open to solder in the High side switch and resistors for the VTEC swap and I'd still charge around £100 for that.
Go with Independent aftermarket. Save yourself some money in the long run.

Edit: I am very biased though. I hate Hondas...

Yep, they are a pain in the ass. I've had plenty of people come to me for advice about tuning there Honda, only for most there ideas go down the drain as they are to scared to mess with ECU's/Looms etc.

Quote from BigPeBe :Independent ECU's can be pretty cheap if you're willing on going thru the DIY route. For instance a Megasquirt I'd imagine would be possible to get for under 200 euros.

They are pretty pricey, but it all depends on what you go for. Megasquirt is good, but not as well suited to Honda than "Hondata" management.
Yeah if I've understood correctly Hondata is pretty much "bolt on" and then tune. Megasquirt requires some knowledge and willing to do stuff yourself but in the end Mega when configured right fits as good as to any other particular vehicle. Of course I'm not familiar with Hondas so dunno how much work to make the Mega work and if there is any need for replacing sensors with different kinds.
To be honest I can't stand Honda's all together! They are still bragging about VTEC etc... Yes, very good variable valve timing but loads of cars use variable valve timing etc...

Plus, tuning the engines is stupidly ****ing expensive and the cars cost a bomb to make look different and not grandad like! So much better cars out there. People crave about the EG Civic, mk4 Golf has nicer driving platform than one etc...

Yeah, they are good cars bang for buck. But still, the honda scene is shit!
Good, I'm not the only one.
Heard it all before to be honest. If everyone liked the same thing, the world would be a boring place...As for saying the MK4 is a better platform than an EG, that's just laughable. In terms of refinement maybe, but everywhere else the EG would kill it. MK4's were the worst Golfs in terms of driver enjoyment.

I'm by no means a Honda fanboy, but I do have a fondness for them. Not a lot of cars can get such a high HP/Litre like Honda or have such a high revving engine from the factory.

185hp from a 1.6L - 250hp from a 2.0L. Doubt you will find too many naturally aspirated engines that can put out that sort of power, yet remain refined, reliable and give out good MPG.
Quote from sam93 :To be honest I can't stand Honda's all together! They are still bragging about VTEC etc... Yes, very good variable valve timing but loads of cars use variable valve timing etc...

I agree, VTEC VTEC VTEC. What is VTEC. OH ITS THIS FING CALLED VARIBAL VALV TIMING.

Btw I wouldn't say MK4 was the worst golf for driver enjoyment, but it's damn close between MK3 and MK4
Vtac is a stamp of engine which produces no power until 4000 rpm
Quote from e2mustang :Vtac is a stamp of engine which produces no power until 4000 rpm

I usually don't respond to such misguided remarks, but this one just didn't make sense to me. Yes, the power curve on most VTECs will spike as vtec engages, which is understandable as a much more aggresive cam profile is engaging. However, below that vtecs are no worse (and in some cases better.) than another engine of the same nature.

Compare any Hondas torque and power graphs with something of the same nature and you will see what I mean.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I usually don't respond to such misguided remarks, but this one just didn't make sense to me. Yes, the power curve on most VTECs will spike as vtec engages, which is understandable as a much more aggresive cam profile is engaging. However, below that vtecs are no worse (and in some cases better.) than another engine of the same nature.

Compare any Hondas torque and power graphs with something of the same nature and you will see what I mean.

dont worry. if bmw was female than he would. over it
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I usually don't respond to such misguided remarks, but this one just didn't make sense to me. Yes, the power curve on most VTECs will spike as vtec engages, which is understandable as a much more aggresive cam profile is engaging. However, below that vtecs are no worse (and in some cases better.) than another engine of the same nature.

Theres nothing misguided remark in that,and yet theres nothing to not understand in that. its a fact. done. Im not comparing anything coz i dont giva flying F about hondas.

Quote from Franky.S :dont worry. if bmw was female than he would. over it

wat
itt; silly people that modify their car but then dont go piggyback because its pricey.

lulz
Like how I started a big arguement about Vtec and shit.

I won't be posting on here anymore, kinda pointless at times.

Thanks for the info Nathan, yeah I understand where you are coming from. But in regards to running it into the ground I ment to keep to for about a year then to a k20 swap. I don't mind "wasting" 100 quid on an intake and even if I got a D16Y8 head it wouldn't be a waste in my eyes since I can still use it.
MK4 Golf is one of the worse ones made yes, but still drives better than a EG Civic, I've even had people who drive K20 EG/EKs etc say same thing, and all they own are Civics. Had a EG Civic and my MK3 Golf GTI was so much more nicer to drive etc... Held road better! More feedback, back to the driver etc...

Any Nathan, you said a Honda Torque, power graph. We will just say power graph as torque figures on a Honda are ****ing shit!

And a VTEC engine doesn't actually really produce much power at all compared to in VTEC etc...

The spike in power when VTEC kicks in is stupid, so they use 4500rpm upwards for VTEC to get power and get it to rev out long to get that!

Plus the price of tuning them is ****ing stupid compared to other cars, yeah NA tuning is expensive, but the scene tax Honda parts carry is ****ing stupid!

Yeah the engines I used to build for a company I worked cost £14k finished, but was a 2.0 redtop engine and the engine would munch a VTEC lump for breakfast! Yeah, had a **** load of work done it etc, but had 220bhp at 3500rpm and that would rev out to 9500rpm. Figures was 290bhp which didn't really matter when the torque figure was at 200ft lb of torque.

Some people are fond of Civics but the craze about them is stupid. Spending £20k on a civic some people when they could go out spend the 10k on buying a manual mk5 Supra Turbo, spending other 10k modifiying it and will have a much nicer car.

The cars do my tits in! On Civics the interior is crap, and the quality is dreadful! Lets use the Rear LCA's where the damper bolts to them, bolts will always snap in there, which is a new rear lca, as usually cant get a replacement bush for the bush the bolt ****s when it snaps.

So, so much better cars out there
Hopefully soon to be mine :lovies3d:

7x15 ET28 with 4x100pcd

Not putting these to golf as I might be getting a second car, to leave das golf as a small project that is going to be finished in 200 years

could do with a slight polishing, otherwise than that they're in quite a mint condition
Look like corvette sawblades, will look nice on a golf
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG