The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
I don't know a single car company that would honor after-warranty clams and give a discount on labor/parts...that's because no car company/dealership/repair shop is in the market to lose money...

What are you talking about?

Warranty Ends = End Of Warranty...it doesn't mean, "we feel bad because things broke so here's a discount because you beat the shit out of your car."
It happens in the UK quite a lot, "goodwill payments"
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :I don't know a single car company that would honor after-warranty clams and give a discount on labor/parts...that's because no car company/dealership/repair shop is in the market to lose money...

Warranty Ends = End Of Warranty...it doesn't mean, "we feel bad because things broke so here's a discount because you beat the shit out of your car."

When a rather high amount of your cars have similar problems after 5 years, a car company isn't just going to ignore them, else no one would buy their cars...

As Jak says, happens a lot and i've heard of it, quite a lot.
Yup, more common than you think. Seen it about anything from Pedal Boxes to Timing Chains
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :I don't know a single car company that would honor after-warranty clams and give a discount on labor/parts...that's because no car company/dealership/repair shop is in the market to lose money...

Very common over here. BMW recalled a large number of engines when they used a cylinder liner that didn't like our (then) high sulpher UK fuel. My folks had a second hand, out of warranty, without main dealer service history, E36 that was given a new short engine no questions asked by BMW.

Italian cars all but disappeared from the UK after they started failing their first MOTs on rust. Manufacturers know how important it is to sort these kind of problems out with the minimal fuss in the UK.
Alex did you hear about when BMW did the "goodwill recall" on the E46 M3 engines that would suffer from oil starvation? Bet that cost them millions!
Or when all the BMW's got recalled because their indicator stalks were broken!
Or BMW's numerous high pressure fuel pump problems.
Or benz`s basicly everything recall ololol
I put à late model valence, à Volvo 760 lip and à flat black hood on my car. Now its like a rally car!
Quote from G!NhO :I put à late model valence, à Volvo 760 lip and à flat black hood on my car. Now its like a rally car!

Pics or it didn't happen. Not sure if I wanna see, though.
Quote from BlueFlame :I call bullshit. Injector fault isn't going to cause fire on a diesel engined car. It may cause SMOKE, but it won't cause a fire.

The autoignition temperature of diesel is around 200 degrees Celsius. It's not out of the realms of possibility for a faulty fuel line to spray atomised diesel over hot parts of the engine bay (e.g. exhaust manifold), causing a flash fire.
Quote from amp88 :The autoignition temperature of diesel is around 200 degrees Celsius. It's not out of the realms of possibility for a faulty fuel line to spray atomised diesel over hot parts of the engine bay (e.g. exhaust manifold), causing a flash fire.

cant...diesel itself doesnt burn at all.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :cant...diesel itself doesnt burn at all.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. In any case (from a quick Google search):

Quote from http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/EileenTang.shtml :Autoignition temperature is the temperature at which a substance can be brought to flames without any sort of external force, such as a flame or spark. There are three different types of diesel fuel. These are Diesel No. 1, Diesel No. 2, and Diesel No. 4. The ignition temperature of Diesel fuel No.1 ranges from 450 to 602 Kelvin, Diesel fuel No. 2 ranges from 527 to 558 Kelvin, and Diesel fuel No .4 is 536 Kelvin.

The reason I was aware of the recall being placed was that it was because the engine can cut out leaving people stranded; no risk of fire was mentioned.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :The reason I was aware of the recall being placed was that it was because the engine can cut out leaving people stranded; no risk of fire was mentioned.

The body of the article above and the recall notice itself both mention fire as a possible consequence.
Well, thanks for filling me in on how crappy car companies treat us state-side. lol!
Quote from amp88 :The body of the article above and the recall notice itself both mention fire as a possible consequence.

Only saying what I read! But I agree with Jake, you won't get a fire (as in an explosive fire) in a diesel. The most likely thing to catch fire would be a joint such as a siezed C.V joint, read it happened to some guy while driving down the motorway!

If you set fire to a diesel engine it will burn but it won't combust, if that makes sense.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Only saying what I read! But I agree with Jake, you won't get a fire (as in an explosive fire) in a diesel. The most likely thing to catch fire would be a joint such as a siezed C.V joint, read it happened to some guy while driving down the motorway!

What do you mean by "an explosive fire"?

Quote from S14 DRIFT :If you set fire to a diesel engine it will burn but it won't combust, if that makes sense.

It doesn't.

If you get a pot, put some diesel in it and put the pot on an electric cooker and turn on the electric cooker there will come a point (called the autoignition temperature) when the diesel gets so hot that it catches fire without an external ignition source (such as a spark or a naked flame). In a scenario where diesel is aerosolised/atomised by a fracture in a high pressure fuel line (which is what the article and recall notice warn of) the autoignition temperature could be even lower than the normal autoignition temperature.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Pics or it didn't happen. Not sure if I wanna see, though.

All oem! Except for the Volvo lip, but that looks exactly like an iS lip. Post pics when hood is finished.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG