The online racing simulator
Quote from IlGuercio :In fact i am waiting, everyone is but looks like somebody can find time to post an old and obsolete version of this game (which should not be played anymore because it has issues, right?) and doesn't want to answer those questions about new content and stuff NOT related directly to the tyre physics.

i don't mean to alarm you but LFS was not made for you only. there's loads of LFS users who are actually enjoying the old S1. surely their opinion matters too?
how long do you think it took Scawen to configure and already configured version of LFS to work on an already running master server? do you think he has to undevelope the damage and tyre wear? do you think he spent weeks/months unlearning all the tyre physics code?

come on dude, lighten up. it's one game/sim amongst loads. you have a choice to play something else while you wait. you don't have to be on the forum constantly saying "we're waiting". it gets old.
Quote from IlGuercio :(which should not be played anymore because it has issues, right?)

I'm sure this entire forum is waiting for you to post details of a racing sim which does not have issues...
Quote from dadge :i don't mean to alarm you but LFS was not made for you only. there's loads of LFS users who are actually enjoying the old S1.

I'm fairly sure the numbers are insignificant to those waiting for NEW developments.

It's great that an old version is still supported, but if they want to stimulate the community while we wait, why not just release a bit of content that would please far more.
Quote from Macfox :I'm fairly sure the numbers are insignificant to those waiting for NEW developments.

It's great that an old version is still supported, but if they want to stimulate the community while we wait, why not just release a bit of content that would please far more.

i'm going to go out on a limb here, but bare with me. could it be because it might not be ready.

i'm starting to think this is the tyre physics thread.
You would have thought in 4+ years that something was able to be released.

It's hard to comprehend the decisions the devs make in light of the obvious community frustration.
Quote from Macfox :You would have thought in 4+ years that something was able to be released.

It's hard to comprehend the decisions the devs make in light of the obvious community frustration.

GT5 only took 5 years from prologue.
Quote from dadge :GT5 only took 5 years from prologue.

yeah, but they have 1000's ofnorth korean slaves....
Quote from theirishnoob :yeah, but they have 1000's ofnorth korean slaves....

Actually PD are a very small dev team..
Small??....haha you are funny.
Daaamn guys is it possible to use Trackir v5 for Lfs ...it woud be just great
Quote from pako_customize :Daaamn guys is it possible to use Trackir v5 for Lfs ...it woud be just great

Yes.
Also, wrong section.
To be honest... as much as I hate S3 (new patch, VW Scirocco, Rockingham, tire physics etc.) being postponed as much as most of you do, it's fair to say that rFactor 2, for example, isn't doing much better in it's development schedule

Quote from rFactor.org :Mar 17, 2010 Published by admin

If you look at the task bar, you’ll see the version number, “0.783,” which shows that we really aren’t that far off from the final version.

link

Quote from simracingworld.com :Platform: PC
Release Date: Q4 2010

link
That´s a good point. - and it´s also a pitty, because rfactor2 could be a
nice inbetweener until S3 is out.

Some people might think I have some purpose in beeing belligerent, but in
actual fact I am just exrpessing my frustration with a game that has become my particular hobby. (ask my wife :really

So see me sending out all those when some content, testing, SZ28+ arrives.

Cu on the servers,

Dandy
Hmm no, he has nothing to do with it.
this thread quieted down since the s1 release, people realized he cared and still loves us
Quote from logitekg25 :this thread quieted down since the s1 release, people realized he cared and still loves us

True, I was really happy when it was re-released since I never even bothered trying to unlock S1. It's fun to go back to the knife-edged physics but it does ruin my S2 driving. lol New sig!

Edit: Hmm... it's not showing up as my signature for some reason even though it shows up in my settings. Just not in the posts. Am I doing something stupid?
How about progress report January 2011?

1.1-6.1 - Partytime, new year celebration
7.1 - GOd, lemme see what i was doing last
8.1 - Family trip
9.1 - Grandmas anniversery
10.1 - Have to take care of kids, wife AFK
11.1 - Ill work today, DAMN i cant figure out single thing
12.1 - i go review my maths on vectors
13.1 - god damn it i still cant get it
14.1 - smoking ciggarettes, being frustrated
15.1 - still frustrated, unable to work
16.1 - i have to take a week off, damn i cant concentrate a bit
23.1 - lets clean up office
24.-26. - kids weekend
27. - have to take aunt suzzie to Rotterdam, i like driving in my M3!
28. I am getting some ideas about some new codes
29. Trial-error all day long
30.1 Whie on WC and watching clouds true window i figured it out... good work meh, i am so cool!
31.1 Hey i dont work sundays, u do?
Quote from jrs_4500 :
Edit: Hmm... it's not showing up as my signature for some reason even though it shows up in my settings. Just not in the posts. Am I doing something stupid?

Your sig will be visible in every new post but not in the posts you made b4 setting a sig.
Ok, thanks.
"Rule number 1 of engineering.

NEVER EVER tell sales and market what you are working on, they will try to sell it and take orders before you even know if it works and how much it will cost to manufacture."
for when an update to the G27 wheel lights? THIS CAN NOT BE ALLOWED

nobody complains about lack of updating this so easily?
Quote from Retamosa :THIS CAN NOT BE ALLOWED

YEAH WHERE ARE MY FANATEC GT3RS DISPLAY FUNCTIONS? *mad face*
Quote from Breizh :"Rule number 1 of engineering.

NEVER EVER tell sales and market what you are working on, they will try to sell it and take orders before you even know if it works and how much it will cost to manufacture."

LFS quick fix:
1) remove sales from equation. Do not advertise (hype?). Ever.
2) remove market from equation. Use 1 + Ignore userbase. Forever.

Only joking. In fact I admire the way this piece of software is developped, and envy it. I have no guts nor skill to do the same (theoretically speaking, as I would not know where to start a drving sim development)!

My point of view: LFS original userbase is now gone or quiet, with a few healthy exceptions. The current userbase is not so easily impressed, not as patient (used to getting everything at once?), and has a comparison basis (competition).
Communication from the devs was fine for a close knit and small community, but did not evolve with the userbase. The software is and will remain a gem, but sadly it is not sufficient anymore.

I would say LFS' success is also its problem pushing the devs to become what they fled from. Oh irony! Can they resist, retain their integrity and independance - knowing it will attract whiners and affect online numbers?

I'll be around to watch. I hope you will be there as well, so that we can enjoy a few races - LFS is like a race, it's not reaching the finish line I'm interested in but racing.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG