The online racing simulator
Fu u all and fuk lfs!!! This game starting to be boring!!!!!!!!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Ok, I'll release it tomorrow. now that someones asked, i figure i should churn it out

I will be releasing something quite soon , it will have sweet bugger all to do with LFS but i feel its worth a press release .

Double rainbow all the way!
Quote from tristancliffe :Indeed.

Go to any track 100 times, and I guarantee that it will effectively be a new track 200 times (once each for qualifying and the race).

iRacing might have 'real' tracks in it, but not one of them captures the track it is intended to be.

I can understand this to an extent, but don't you think you're over-egging that a bit?

There are quite a few pro racers in iRacing who say they use it for learning tracks, it's very useful and nothing else comes close. There are also quite a few regular subscribers who've raced or just done track days in the same car/track combos e.g. Skip at Laguna, VIR and Lime Rock who say the tracks seem spot on and it's a massive advantage. Those who've raced for the first time in RL after iRacing all seem to comment on how familiar it all felt. More so than driving skills themselves - the physics has issues although they often contradict each other about what they are. They are able to point to particular bumps and areas where you tend to come loose in the sim and RL. And you don't get those bump effects in any other sim I've encountered.

That said, some of the fastest guys in GPL, GTR2 and LFS have been immediately fast in iRacing. So if you're fast in any one that's vaguely realistic you'll probably be fast in the others.

But the surface detail makes driving fast on a laser track a different experience - everything else does feel rather like you're hovering because it's too smooth.

And I can say that iRacing tracks all seemed (looked) to me to be quite different after driving allegedly the same tracks in other sims e.g. Brands or Mid Ohio in rFactor. Some of them would definitely get you killed in RL if you thought you knew the shape of the thing and went for it.
Quote from Postman Pat :I can understand this to an extent, but don't you think you're over-egging that a bit?

There are quite a few pro racers in iRacing who say they use it for learning tracks, it's very useful and nothing else comes close. There are also quite a few regular subscribers who've raced or just done track days in the same car/track combos e.g. Skip at Laguna, VIR and Lime Rock who say the tracks seem spot on and it's a massive advantage. Those who've raced for the first time in RL after iRacing all seem to comment on how familiar it all felt. More so than driving skills themselves - the physics has issues although they often contradict each other about what they are. They are able to point to particular bumps and areas where you tend to come loose in the sim and RL. And you don't get those bump effects in any other sim I've encountered.

That said, some of the fastest guys in GPL, GTR2 and LFS have been immediately fast in iRacing. So if you're fast in any one that's vaguely realistic you'll probably be fast in the others.

But the surface detail makes driving fast on a laser track a different experience - everything else does feel rather like you're hovering because it's too smooth.

And I can say that iRacing tracks all seemed (looked) to me to be quite different after driving allegedly the same tracks in other sims e.g. Brands or Mid Ohio in rFactor. Some of them would definitely get you killed in RL if you thought you knew the shape of the thing and went for it.

I think you're the one over-egging it a bit.

Certainly lazer scanning has added a level of immersion into a simulator, but it's not like it transforms it from just a decent sim to a ultra effective training machine.

Simulations, from my experience, are good for general training & learning to apply things you've been told. But for learning tracks to any real useful detail? They have a long long long way to go. You can gain as much from LFS as iRacing in terms of training.

And I've only ever heard drivers commit to saying that sims help 'learn where the corners are' in regard to sims. Rarely do they commit firmly to anything other than that.
Quote from Intrepid :... You can gain as much from LFS as iRacing in terms of training.

And I've only ever heard drivers commit to saying that sims help 'learn where the corners are' in regard to sims. Rarely do they commit firmly to anything other than that.

Learning where the corners are at Blackwood, Kyoto, Fern Bay and South City has absolutely no use in any real racing.
Quote from Bean0 :Learning where the corners are at Blackwood, Kyoto, Fern Bay and South City has absolutely no use in any real racing.

???

Learning how to get quicker round those tracks and figuring out how to take in knowledge and applying it is very useful in real racing. Doesn't matter if the track is real or made up.

I have never seen sims as a way to teach a driver how to drive a specific track. I doubt many really do as the technology to do that to any useful extent is decades away.

All this real-world lazer scanned tracks for training purposes is a bit of a red-herring.
imo, a sim should be thought of as a tool to help better you as a (racing)driver. it can't make you worse and how much you take from it is up to you (the user).
Quote from Intrepid :I have never seen sims as a way to teach a driver how to drive a specific track. I doubt many really do as the technology to do that to any useful extent is decades away.

All this real-world lazer scanned tracks for training purposes is a bit of a red-herring.

Ask Dennis, he uses (not LFS of course) sims to learn tracks he's never been too, sure, the bumps, kerb profile and camber may not be spot on, it may not even be close, but the corner sequencing can give you a big advantage. Hence why he was faster than Stanaway's best times in the Formula ADAC tests he did at Hockenheim GP and Nurburgring GP circuits (two he'd never been at before).

Laser scanned tracks dont' really mean shit though, cos compression and your body getting thrown around is enough to make you need to 'learn' the track all over again, the only thing that a game simulated circuit and a real circuit have in common, is the corner sequencing.. Which, to be honest, is all you DO need. You don't need a laser scanned track to have fun. That's just one more reason why iRacing is a failball of consumers money.
Quote from BlueFlame : You don't need a laser scanned track to have fun. That's just one more reason why iRacing is a failball of consumers money.

Sooo iRacing would be better without laser scanned tracks?

I like what they have done. I like all the little bumbs here and there, even better if they are created like in real life, but I would be as happy with natural "synthetic" bumbs and surface variations if they are added say through a clever algorithm.

But I don't like how rFactor does them. The car is always having a seizure when you gain speed. The artificial shaking gets really annoying. Fast.

In LFS the picture perfect road surface makes driving boring, you don't feel like you're in a car as the road is too smooth.
BlueFlame, I have a 3 step process for you.
1) Find these:

2) Lay down on top of them. (For dramatic effect, bring someone to tie you down).
3) Wait Patiently.
Quote from aaltomar :Sooo iRacing would be better without laser scanned tracks?

No, but it would be a **** tonne cheaper.
I find I learn tracks quickest by looking at an aerial map, watching videos on Youtube and occasionally playing the track in something like rFactor.

Is the rFactor track realistic in 99% of cases? No. The bumps, kerbs, corner radii, cambers, gradients etc are all massively wrong most of the time. But it teaches you a little about the flow of the track.

In the majority of cases of simulator->track, I don't think the added immersion of laser scanning adds anything to it as a learning tool.

And besides, the track will be different on the day you drive it, and the chance of the car being exactly as you drove it in the simulator (in terms of setup, steering effort, tyre compound, torque curve etc are also massively slim, so you end up spending three laps learning the track anyway.

And if you haven't got the hang of the track after three real laps then there is little that can help you. No simulators, coaching, practice or thought can improve that.
Quote from tristancliffe :
And if you haven't got the hang of the track after three real laps then there is little that can help you. No simulators, coaching, practice or thought can improve that.

Excluding Le Mans Sarthe, and Nordschleife of course
Nah, Nordchleife isn't that hard, there's just a lot of corners. I can honestly say I have the whole lap visualized in my mind without much failure.
Lets exclude exceptions, shall we? Try and keep the conversation vaguely intelligent.
What do you mean Tristan? You don't have EVERY bump and curve memorized in the mille miglia?! God, iRacing would teach that to you! In fact it'd be critical for you to be able to drive it, and you'd take 2 seconds a lap off someone without iRacing experience!

/lulz.
It sucks that im so easily fooled, so i believe in Be2K's post, do not know why, though i hope as much as i can that its fake
Okay, so I've been standing by waiting and waiting for this update. It has been nearly 3 months since you made the announcement on the main page (www.lfs.net) about the tyre physics and VW issues. I am not here to say hurry up and release the patch or ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

I REPEAT I AM NOT HERE TO HARP AND SHOUT TO RELEASE THE PATCH.

However, being a web developer and avid gamer. I know that when a community is left in the dark from any updates or information regarding the updates, they tend to leave and find a better game or someone who will tell them something in regards to it.

IT IS A MUST THAT THE DEVELOPERS GIVE US SOME SORT OF REGULARLY SCHEDULED UPDATE.

Not necessarily a play by play of everything that you have done as far as changes or improvements, but atleast let us know that SOME SORT of progress is being made.

I personally saw the post about the tyre models and new track and thought okay, this should not take incredibly long to correct, cause as i understood it most of the hard work has been completed just minor corrections to be made, so I bought a S2 license hoping that something soon would come out. But now I've found I invested $38 on a game that is not being updated regularly or even being told of the updates. Now, being the avid gamer that I am, I know how vital it is to make sure all of these bugs/errors have been corrected. HOWEVER, if the developing staff is having problems finding problems or incorrect physics, i would love to suggest that the DEV team RELEASE a "beta" version if you will of said content and allow more than just the VERY VERY VERY VERY small dev team they have help to find these errors or incorrect simulations.

Otherwise, you are just gunna keep seeing the same thing over and over here.

Atleast let the community that you are working so hard to please, help you by letting us test what you already have.
Stop bringing up this whining shit, and I'll stop bringing up the "build your own simulator" shit. You pull up your card, I pull up mine. Simple as that.

edge1234: You bought it - you bought it. You don't like this fact - you don't like this fact. It's your fault - it's your fault. So why do you need to share this with all of us? You got S2 content now, go explore that. And just to let you know - you do shout to release a patch.

Also @"Otherwise, you are just gunna keep seeing the same thing over and over here." - go and build your own simulator, instead.
Hey broken, go smoke some more and chill out.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG